Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Martini anyone ???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
MagnumWheelMan
.224 member

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: southern Minnesota
Martini anyone ???
      #135668 - 19/05/09 11:53 PM

... all my life, seems like I'm a day late & a dollar short... I tried to start collecting Martinis about the time all the diecent actions dried up around here...

I was lucky enough to get 2 of them... both are long lever ( tropical ??? actions ) one is now chambered in 50-70 Gov. the other was a good strong action, & we took a light weight octogon barrel that was chambered in 458 Win Mag, & shortened the chamber to 45-70 that gun wears a 3 leaf safari sight, & I call it my "Martini Safari"

then... I couldn't find any more actions for a reasonable price... I'd still like to find a cadet chambered in 22 Hornet, & maybe a 22 rim fire some day...

well I was bitten by the single shot bug, years before ( I'm a Thompson Center Contender collector ) but these old girls seem to have way more charictor...

since I couldn't find any more reasonable Martini actions, I found a good deal on a #1 Remington Rolling Block that was converted to a bench rest gun in the 60's... but thats another story...

anyone shooting the old Martinis ??? original or custom ???

Edited by MagnumWheelMan (20/05/09 04:31 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Martini anyone ??? [Re: MagnumWheelMan]
      #135684 - 20/05/09 02:30 AM

Yes,I shoot old original and custom Martini's. More originals than customs these days. If you hang out with the right people there are lots of Martini's around, some you don't need deep pockets for and some you do need some very deep pockets for.

If you have an interest in Martini's I would start here.
http://www.martinihenry.com/links.htm

--------------------
DD, Ret.

MagnumWheelMan
.224 member

Re: Martini anyone ??? [Re: DoubleD]
      #135710 - 20/05/09 04:30 AM

thanks... I also book marked that site... look at all this stuff I'm learning... who says ya can't teach an old dog new tricks...

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Martini anyone ??? [Re: MagnumWheelMan]
      #135723 - 20/05/09 07:00 AM

I really enjoy my Martini's. I have three originals. One is a Sporter of some make (not marked) imported from SA in a collection. It has a slinder tapered round barrel with one standing and 4 folding leaves, and then a ladder type site for long range. This one is in .577/.450. Working on the reloading. So far I have only shot Ten-X ammo.
Another is a carbine originally in .303. The bore was shot to nothing and neglected. I had it rebored and rifled to a 2 1/4 inch .375 express. Here I staighten .303 brass for a .375 diameter bullet. It is a handy carbine with a good amount of power.
My other is a BSA martini in the .310 cadet. A nice Queensland marked cadet rifle with very nice adjustable sights. It shoots very well and a pleasure to shoot. I use the original load weights and speed for my reloading. Most of my brass comes from Buffalo arms for these oldiies.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: Martini anyone ??? [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #135749 - 20/05/09 03:53 PM

Here's the model 1871 that I'm trying to find a good load for right now. It's a 577-500 #2 that I just had restocked with a piece of walnut that I bought off of ebay for $125.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Martini anyone ??? [Re: casper50]
      #135751 - 20/05/09 05:23 PM

Nice and it might benefit from the action being restoned, the top rhs screw (in view) being "adjusted" and the engraving "touched up"

Edited by kamilaroi (20/05/09 05:26 PM)

MagnumWheelMan
.224 member

Re: Martini anyone ??? [Re: kamilaroi]
      #135760 - 20/05/09 09:38 PM

WOW... very nice... even though both of mine are sporterized, the wood is period "looking" I'd love to eventually get better wood ( or in the case of my "safari" even matching wood )

my 50-70 has a little story... it was found as a basket case in a rotted out wooden box along with several other guns in a river by Northfield MN several years ago & it was proposed that it could have even been in a catche of guns from Jesse James from robbing the bank, & they never got around to recovering them ??? pretty far fetched, but most of the other guns were revolvers ??? the wood was rotted, & my local builder ( this used to be his gun ) re-made almost all the small parts... the reciever is pretty pitted but the crest & some of the marks are still readable... it's pretty loose in comparasion to my 45-70, but safe for "normal" loads in 50-70, which he added the new barrel... it actually shoot pretty good... I bought the rifle with al his cast bullets & a couple custom molds, a couple 100 Dixie solid head cases, & a few of his loads & reciepe for safe smokeless loads for the gun...

the 45-70 can handle any load I care to stuff in it... I still have not regulated the sights yet, as I'm still trying to decide a permanent load for it before I file the sights...

I'm a pretty big 22 Hornet fan, & will have to find the money to buy a Cadet in 22 Hornet some day... my current 2 the bottom one in the 2nd pic is my 50-70 the top pic is my 45-70

45-70 "Safari"

45-70 & 50-70... ( 50-70 on bottom )

Edited by MagnumWheelMan (21/05/09 02:49 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3900

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com