Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008.
      #126122 - 07/02/09 07:56 PM

Thought it was about time I posted a story and photos of our family Chital hunt near Charters Towers in July last year.

From where we live it’s a good days drive to Cairns with the old Landcruiser all loaded up and towing my quad. We stayed with my mate for a couple of nights in Cairns then set out for the Towers, arriving mid afternoon. The original plan was to camp for 10 days or so down on the Clarke R so that’s where we headed after catching up with the property owner. Set up camp and sure enough at about 4am the next morning the heavens opened up out of nowhere.

By 11 am things were looking pretty bleak so I thought I had better see if the Cruiser would make it up the river bank onto flat ground – it did, so next I tried the empty trailer. Got it half way up then lost traction and started sliding backwards. Luckily I stopped sliding before I jackknifed the trailer! Wife and boys looking a bit worried at all this palaver – I stayed in the car with foot on the brake and got Jen to run the winch cable out and get it around the base of a tree. Thank god for the winch – after much mucking about and with smoke pissing out of the winch at one stage, we finally got the lot up onto flat ground.

A quick sat phone conversation with the property owner confirmed my suspicions – rain not likely to stop for a few days – get out of there now while you still can – lots of black soil to get thru on the way back to the house! So for the next couple of hours we dismantled the camp and traipsed everything back up the hill, loaded the car, put a few light bits and pieces into the trailer then set off. I sent the boys (13 and 10) ahead on the quad and we followed in the Cruiser. Got about 1 km and had to unhook the trailer as I couldn’t get it up a long slippery slope. We carried on minus the trailer and made it back to the house, slipping and sliding the whole way. The boys did really well, sensing the predicament we could be in if we weren’t careful.

Back at the house Jimmy set us up in the ringers quarters where we waited 4/5 days for the rain to stop and the ground to dry out enough so we could get around. I went back on the tractor to rescue the trailer after a few days while it was still raining. We spent the wet days reading and playing games and the boys did some school work etc.

It didn’t take long for the tracks to dry out enough to negotiate on the quad once the sun came out. We spent the next 7 or 8 days having a great time, out each day looking for a good stag for me and hunting a doe each for the boys and Jennie.

Chital numbers here are really good and driving around you would think they wouldn’t be much of a challenge to hunt. Stop the vehicle and get out for a stalk tho and it’s a totally different ball game! All you see is there little white bums disappearing into the distance. I had hunted chital a couple of times before but this was my first time unguided. I learned heaps in the week and managed to down 2 nice representative stags – the 30 inchers managed to stay out of my way tho! I was able to get the boys and Jen up on a doe each and we field dressed each one, taking the carcass back to the meat shed for processing and skinning. We ended up with a 60 litre Engel full of venison and 3 skins which I later tanned and are now rugs on the floor.

This is Tom with his doe taken with his little cut down Sako .223 using 53 gn Barnes TSX’s. He and I got the wind right then crawled thru the knee high grass up to a small tree which had fallen over. One shot thru the shoulder and she was down.

Here is Jesse with his doe taken in thicker country using his Mum’s Kimber 7mm08.

And here is Jen with hers taken at about 70m with the 7mm08. All three were the culmination of quite a few failed stalks – I wanted to get them all up as close as possible for a close target and a sure 1 shot kill. They’ve all shot ferals before but this was their first deer hunt and I wanted to avoid the emotional stuff inevitable with wounded doe’s running all around the countryside. It worked out perfectly.

Here is my first stag. I went out early one morning on my own. I had seen this stag a couple of day’s prior and planned my route to bring me in down wind of him. In the end the wind was perfect and there was heaps of cover allowing me to get to 50m or so from him. I used Jens 7mm08. After the shot I got on the 2 way and Jen brought the car over and we caped him out in the field, finishing off back at the house.

My second stag gave me the best stalk I’ve ever done. About 1.5 hours on hands and knees, covering a distance of about 400m of open ground and having to avoid detection by countless pairs of eyes. In the end I took the shot at 170m (ranged), as it was getting too dark to get any closer. I used my Brno M21 8x57 and 180 gr Ballistic Tips. Did the caping in the quads headlights and with the aid of a torch.

Where we live there are definitely no bunnies and the boys were dead keen to have a crack at some while we were there so we took them out on the quad spotlighting a couple of nights. They really enjoyed themselves. Of course then I had to dress the smelly little buggers at 10:30 pm in the freezing cold, much to the delight of the resident cats!!

So, all in all we had a great time. Jennie reckons it turned into the best holiday she’s ever had and the boys still talk about it.

My quad is a 2002 Yamaha Kodiak 400 and I am still absolutely amazed at what it can do. It drags the 4 of us and all our gear up hills, thru creeks and rocky terrain in the heat and dust of Nth Qld and elsewhere and doesn’t falter. I’ve dragged dead horses across paddocks and used it last year to pull the fully loaded Cruiser to jump-start it! A great piece of machinery!

Edited by GG375 (08/02/09 08:03 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008. [Re: GG375]
      #126126 - 07/02/09 09:15 PM

A nice one! Is that a Axis Deer?

GG375
.333 member

Re: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008. [Re: grandveneur]
      #126133 - 07/02/09 10:18 PM

Yes mate, Axis is another name for the same species.

Cheers.

GG

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #126134 - 07/02/09 10:21 PM

Thank you and Waidmannsheil!

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #126223 - 08/02/09 09:39 AM

Very cool ! great to see the famliy in on this hunt , a lot of readers may not know how bad the soil types are eg "Black" verus "Red" when they get wet ! Thanks for shareing !

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008. [Re: Sarg]
      #126239 - 08/02/09 12:39 PM

Great hunt mate.
Yes that "sliding back" is a heart stopper.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008. [Re: ozhunter]
      #126243 - 08/02/09 01:12 PM

Marvellous stuff GG, great to see all the family members successful on game.

Great story, thanks.

...and re the black-soil predicament, we've all been there!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #126267 - 08/02/09 05:34 PM

The cheetal is as i recall originaly from India.When was it introduced in Australia and what is its present approx. population.Just for my personal knowledge.Thanks.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008. [Re: iqbal]
      #126296 - 09/02/09 12:38 AM

Chital (or cheetal) were introduced into Victoria, Australia, during the 1860s by the Victorian Acclimatisation Society. They may have survived on Wilson's Promontory and a few other places in the wild untill at least the 1960s. The Queensland populations are far more recent, although I don't know the actual dates of relocation.

iqbal, are you aware that chital were also introduced to Hawaii, New Zealand, Brazil and Java in the 1840s to 1860s, and to Florida USA in the 1930s?

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008. [Re: Marrakai]
      #126324 - 09/02/09 04:32 AM

Thanks Marrakai.Although the cheetal exists next door in India in large nos.we do not have any here except for those that cross the border in Punjab.These are shot with great delight by hunters while no provision is made to breed them here.Pity as it is such a pretty animal.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008. [Re: iqbal]
      #126373 - 09/02/09 11:49 AM

Iqbal

There would be several thousand Chital in Far North Queensland.

GG

Thanks for the story and photos. Sounds like a top trip.

I have hunted Chital at Watervalley twice, once guiding a German acquaintance and then a month later returning to get one for myself. Many people consider WV as a fenced property "unsporting", however the Chital there were definitely a sporting proposition when I hunted them, and fled or hid at the merest sound or sight of humans. I considered them more sporting than wild fallow.

I love their beautiful coats and three doe flat rugs will be excellent trophies, plus your two shoulder mounts. Lots of tasty venison too.

But how do you fit four people on a single quad? Do you use a trailer as well?

Thanks for posting the great family holiday story.

Yep black soil is fun, I remember being in a cruiser in front gear sliding backwards once when it continually spun around.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

GG375
.333 member

Re: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008. [Re: NitroX]
      #126413 - 09/02/09 05:28 PM

Guys

As Marrakai mentioned, Chital were apparently roaming parts of Victoria in 1862/63. Col Allisons book "The Hunters Manual of Australia and New Zealand" makes mention of some in Tassy in 1829 and as early as 1802 west of Sydney.

I think it would be fair to say that the Queensland herd would probably be the most successful wild and free ranging herd in Australia at present. They were originally pets around the homestead on Maryvale station around 1886 and have since radiated outwards. The property I hunt on is a neighbour of Maryvale and would have to easily hold several thousand animals I would think.

John, I have a good mate who has hunted on Water Valley and from his description I know what you mean. He hunted Fallow and Red and from what he told me it certainly wasn’t a walk in the park.

How to fit 4 on a quad? These photos might explain. I had an alloy tray made up and bolted it to the original rack. Jennie and I sit on the seat and the boys sit on the alloy rack. Behind them are 3 storage partitions under a torneau cover I made up. I keep all sorts of survival stuff and essentials in these as we tend to get into some pretty isolated places up here on the Cape. And a stainless 16 litre water tank on the front rack under the rifle racks. It works well.

I’m glad you all liked the story. I enjoyed writing it and would like to do a few more as time permits. We are firm believers in the old “the family that plays together, stays together” philosophy, and have our older kids from Jennies first marriage as proof that it works – our older boys have families and jobs in Brisbane but still come home for a hunt with the old man whenever they can! I might just have to get another quad soon – and then a different trailer to transport them both – and then probably a more powerful vehicle to tow with – oh dear ……it’s never ending!!

TOP_PREDATOR
.224 member

Reged: 03/05/06
Loc: British colony of New Zealand
      #126422 - 09/02/09 07:26 PM

Great hunt report.

Chital did quite well in the South island for a short time before locals shot the whole herd,as the Chital were eating crops,is what a read in a Phillp Holden book on game animals of New Zealand.

--------------------
"I have carried out my official duties as long and faithfully as i can,and for the rest I have lived in such a fashion as seemed most agreeable to me...convinced that a good day's shooting is second in point of pleasure to nothing else on earth."

Lord Warwick

Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
Re: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008. [Re: TOP_PREDATOR]
      #127600 - 20/02/09 07:50 PM

Nicely done GG.

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008. [Re: Bakes]
      #128634 - 03/03/09 05:56 PM

Brilliant work mate,

I thought you might have used your recently acquired 9.3x62 but maybe this year eh? Great philosophy regarding family too. Congratulations again on a fine hunt. Please continue to write as everyone enjoys it immensely.

Regards,

MOG

GG375
.333 member

Re: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008. [Re: Cinghiale]
      #128875 - 06/03/09 05:08 PM

Thanks Cinghiale, glad you enjoyed it. Don't think I had the 9.3 back from Slee and de Vries at that stage. Not sure what we're doing this year yet - either back after the Chital or down to Vic to chase Sambar - will definitely use the 9.3 if we choose the latter.

Cheers.

GG

Taylor416
.300 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Central West, New South Wales....
      #135356 - 14/05/09 12:50 PM

GG375,
very impressed with the way you've set the quad up mate, especially the rifle racks! Off up that way shortly on a chital hunt, can't wait.

cheers
Chris

--------------------
Love to hunt!

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008. [Re: Taylor416]
      #135359 - 14/05/09 01:01 PM

GG-

Great time out with your family mate!
Thanks for bringing us along.

Marrakai-

We got Chital here in the SF Bay Area back in the late 19th century via a wealthy doctor's private ranch stock getting freed out into the Point Reyes National Seashore.
There have been recent efforts to cull the breed from the area, as they have a much more voracious appetite than do our local blacktail deer.

Beautiful animals!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4689

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com