Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
controlled_feed
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: NSW, Australia
NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand
      #134442 - 04/05/09 09:31 PM

I posted a brief hunt report in the appropriate place and thought I would put a few lines here on out trip

I met Johnathon Cristian and his sidekick Zion at the SCI Convention in Brisbane this year, top blokes and they run a first class outfit.

I booked with them because the access is easy, no hikes, scary chopper rides or long up river drives, no living in wet clothes for days at a time and eating ordinary food. All those things are part of the hunt for me, but not my non hunting wife and 10yo daughter.

The accommodation is fantastic. Although a little spartan (there was only a 120cm wide screen tele, a full kitchen, Internet, wood fire, proper beds and linen, a washer and dryer) The lodge was built by the Wilderness Quest New Zealand team last year and another one was days off completion when we were there.

The food was excellent. We had Tahr, venison, fish and chips, too much food in fact, and all of a very high quality with a good deal of it home grown and cooked fresh by Johnathon and Zion, who also ate with us at dinner and tea time most nights.

Wilderness Quest New Zealand have free range and preserve hunting for Red deer, Arapawa Ram, pigs, Wapiti, Fallow deer, wild goats and game birds, depending on the season.

I hunted free range.

On the first morning we hunted the river flats for three hours, finding arapawa sheep and about 6 red hinds. They decided we would sit on a large tussock flat until the sun had risen properly and see what might appear.

We had just found a good spot to recline, when a hind came trotting up the flat, she was moving pretty quick and came within 10 meters of us, but she was on a mission and didn't even look in our direction. I thought to myself, where is the cause of her haste, when in her tracks came the above stag. He is no world beater by any means, but he is just what I was after. I don't score my trophies or rate my hunts by the score of the critter. This hunt was a great experience, having the minister for finance and my daughter along to experience the hunt without the stuff they don't want to experience, was good.

They were treated like royalty. The Wilderness Quest team go to extraordinary lengths to ensure non hunters enjoy their time a as much as the hunters. An example of this came on my daughters 10th birthday, which she celebrated while we hunting. We had told Johnathon and Zion that it was her birthday but didn't make a fuss. Just a small gift from us and a happy birthday cuddle was all we were planning. Mid afternoon, they turned up with a home made chocolate birthday cake for my girl, complete with candles, and a plate of fresh nibbles so we could have a little party for her.

I cannot recommend Wilderness Quest New Zealand highly enough. They are a top notch outfit, who go out of their way to ensure your stay is as enjoyable as possible. They have top class animals both inside and outside the fence. And the whole crew are down to earth, decent people.

Cheers

CF

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: controlled_feed]
      #134494 - 05/05/09 06:48 AM

Thats a free range Red Stag?

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: gryphon]
      #134497 - 05/05/09 07:03 AM

I'm sorry but it would not have been born Free !

controlled_feed
.300 member

Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: Sarg]
      #134514 - 05/05/09 09:50 AM

So if my stag is not free range;

is this one

or these

or this one

controlled_feed
.300 member

Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: Sarg]
      #134515 - 05/05/09 10:01 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry but it would not have been born Free !

and you know this how?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #134541 - 05/05/09 04:18 PM

Its a bit sad in NZ but I too every time I see a really good trophy stag, I think of pen raised or bred stags too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: NitroX]
      #134547 - 05/05/09 06:21 PM

Controlled Feed,

Thanks for posting, I am very glad you had an awesome time in NZ and I think that your trophies look fantastic.

As to all those deer by the fence, I would love to one day secure myself a head like nay of those.

Regards,

MOG

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #134549 - 05/05/09 06:54 PM

Their website makes a distinction between 'preserve' hunts, which I take to mean behind a fence, and 'wild' hunts which I assume are not... However it does state in the 'wild' section:
Quote:

Hunt the whole river valley, with most stags taken along the grassy meadows beside the crystal clear blue flowing river or in the pine forest through the valley. If you go high enough you will reach the lush mountain meadows where stags can be abundant.

Over the years we have stocked this valley with superior genetics and now we can boast some of the biggest wild red stags in New Zealand. Wild red stags range from 250 – 310 SCI.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #134550 - 05/05/09 08:42 PM

I ask much the same about the fence heads.

--------------------

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
      #134551 - 05/05/09 09:20 PM

steroids rule OK?

controlled_feed
.300 member

#134552 - 05/05/09 09:35 PM

Quote:

I ask much the same about the fence heads.

The heads leaning against the fence (all the above heads) are free range red stags from Australia. If you like I can give you the phone number of the fellow that guided the hunters to them, I am sure he would be glad to set you straight. But......you better have your hat wired on if you wish to tell him or the blokes that hunted them they are anything less than free range.

Why are people so quick to judge when it comes to things like this. All of the heads above are the results of 15 or 20 years of removing inferior genes from the herd, keeping female numbers in check, NOT SHOOTING YOUNG ANIMALS BEFORE THEY HAVE HAD A CHANCE TO GROW TO THE CLASS OF THESE, keeping the ever present low life, scum sucking, bottom dwelling, back biting, thieving, lying, piece of s&&t poachers off the place and a degree of luck with rainfall and resultant feed over the years.

I don't care what anyone cares to think about my head, I know what it is and where it came from, and any keyboard critics that state otherwise can get stuffed, and as I said if you doubt the legitimacy of the others, man up, and I will give you the phone number.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #134553 - 05/05/09 09:50 PM

Controlled feed, I think they look bloody great and well done. I am starting to get the arse a bit with this "it was fenced" attitude. As part of a trip in Africa last year I was on a 14000 hectare
"ranch". Does that mean the waterbuck I shot was "canned" ? IMO of course it wasn't. Thats bigger than 90% of Scottish "estates" where "everything" is wild !! Ignore the moaners, best, Mike p.s this doesn't mean I wouldn't like to escape to some part of MAMOBA which is a wilderness

gryphon
.450 member

Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #134611 - 06/05/09 07:53 AM

I will have the number then,I want one of those big wild reds myself.

The question was asked from my point of view that with the length,amount of points and large overall size its hard enough to actually find one of that ilk anywhere in Australia whereas here are three all lined up together,amazing! More than amazing...unreal!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#134657 - 06/05/09 03:32 PM

C-F,

As long as you enjoyed your hunt and it was fair chase, if fair chase was what you were buying. If the stags acted "wild" they probably were wild. Maybe they were released from a deer farm in the past (or not) but eventually stags do get wilder especially in a hunting area.

I have a 11-point red stag I shot which had escaped from a deer farm a few years earlier and it when spotted was standing there, but as soon as we were spotted it took off at a run. I shot it as it ran away. No different from the reaction of wild bred fallow stags in the area.

On the other hand I have seen stags released only a few months earlier and they are pitiful, standing openly in sight with no fear of man in them. Give them a year or two and they will be quite different.

A nice set of trophies.

I have hunted a sheep too on the North Island as a trophy of chance when hunting red stag.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kamilaroi
.400 member

#134660 - 06/05/09 03:52 PM

RIDGE(y) didge eh?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: kamilaroi]
      #134662 - 06/05/09 04:18 PM

Quote:

RIDGE(y) didge eh?

Qld? No. Mid-Northern SA. A deer farm to the North had lost a number of red deer and they spread throughout the fallow deer country. Some of the landowners wanted the reds shot out.

Had a 6 point stag looking at me one day, but the guy (observer) with me couldn't make up my mind whether I could shoot it as a cull. When I moved to get my camera out it ran away. Owner told me, "Shoot them all!". Would have been some nice meat.

A few years later I encountered a 11 point red stag while hunting fallow deer as mentioned.

A bit later another hunter show a 13 pointer, and later a mate shot a 16 pointer. Bastards! Good year.

So it happens, good genetics, and these animals were probably all in the wild for a good 6 years plus.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
      #134664 - 06/05/09 04:49 PM

I cant hold back anymore!! Hunting wild stags generally means hunting in "wild/wilderness" country. When I grew up in the land of the long white cloud stags of this quality made the local paper, not that they werent around, you just had to work bloody hard to get one!!.....no television at night, and oh my goodness you did get wet and often stayed wet!!!

Oh, by the way when did we start shooting the cockies killers??, ...sorry thats meat sheep for the uninitiated, let alone having your picture taken with one and calling it a Trophy!!!!!!.Apapapppaapwwaa Ram my arse!!!!.
I am almost prepared to bet my best double that that stag was specifically bred for some visiting "sportsman" to come and shoot, but everyone to their own.

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

controlled_feed
.300 member

Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: paradox_]
      #134666 - 06/05/09 08:10 PM

Quote:

Hunting wild stags generally means hunting in "wild/wilderness" country

So are the working stations in NZ different to the ones in Oz?? I should have known that the properties in QLD aren't as wild as in NZ.

Quote:

When I grew up in the land of the long white cloud stags of this quality made the local paper

Stags of this quality? If you were to line up all the heads that I have posted above, mine would be at the bottom of the heap. If you re-read my original post, I said it was no world beater, and it isn't. If I bothered to get it scored, which I won't, I doubt it would make 280 Douglas. Have a closer look and work out just how long it is!

Quote:

no television at night, and oh my goodness you did get wet and often stayed wet!!!

I must try that some time. Never been to a remote spot or roughed it before. When I get to your lofty level I'll have a lash.

Quote:

Oh, by the way when did we start shooting the cockies killers??, ...sorry thats meat sheep for the uninitiated, let alone having your picture taken with one and calling it a Trophy!!!!!!.Apapapppaapwwaa Ram my arse!!!!.

I have never done this before on a forum and it may well get deleted, but what I have to say to you sir has a lot to do with sex and travel! At no stage in my original post did I say anything about the ram being a "trophy". I don't have to justify what I do to you or anyone else, just me. What I choose to do is my business and if that doesn't sit well with you, tuff shit!!

Quote:

I am almost prepared to bet my best double that that stag was specifically bred for some visiting "sportsman" to come and shoot, but everyone to their own.

I will make sure I check with you next time I decide to book a hunt just so I can conform to your way of thinking. No one will ever be able to hunt in South Africa again for fear of being labelled "a sportsmen"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: paradox_]
      #134669 - 06/05/09 08:49 PM

Quote:

Ever seen one in the wild?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kamilaroi
.400 member

#134682 - 06/05/09 09:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

RIDGE(y) didge eh?

Qld? No. Mid-Northern SA. A deer farm to the North had lost a number of red deer and they spread throughout the fallow deer country. Some of the landowners wanted the reds shot out.

So it happens, good genetics, and these animals were probably all in the wild for a good 6 years plus.

No doubt with a good dose of selective growth hormones as some NZ game farmers can attest, no?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: kamilaroi]
      #134683 - 06/05/09 10:04 PM

Quote:

No doubt with a good dose of selective growth hormones as some NZ game farmers can attest, no?

Probably good genetics.

Wouldn't think "growth hormones" would have any effect on the antlers after years in the wild. Look like the usual normal red stags, not like the "special" "canned trophy" heads often seen in international magazines etc.

Genetics has a lot to do with it too. If (when it used to be legal) you can put some good superior animals to breed in wild herds, you also see quality progeny.

If all you do is shoot out the best heads, what do you think you will end up with after several generations of breeding ...

However good quality feed also has a LOT to do with an animal growing a good head each year. Even with the same animal from year to year.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kamilaroi
.400 member

#134685 - 06/05/09 10:23 PM

Fair call yet still I remain sceptical. ("growth hormones" being metaphorical)

controlled_feed
.300 member

#134686 - 06/05/09 10:24 PM

Quote:

If all you do is shoot out the best heads, what do you think you will end up with after several generations of breeding ...

Hallelujah

It is a real shame more people don't subscribe to this theory. Especially the dark siders and nay sayers (read poachers and whingers) that shoot anything and everything without a thought as to what is going to do to the herd in the long term. And then whinge and bitch that there are no good heads left and then make threats to the life and property of people who try do the right thing by the deer and the hunters.The crap gets left to do the breeding, and that's all you end up with, crap.

The above heads are the results of proper management of the herd - without the use of fences or growth hormones or breeding for "sportsman"

CF

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#134689 - 06/05/09 10:30 PM

Quote:

The above heads are the results of proper management of the herd - without the use of fences or growth hormones or breeding for "sportsman"

Interesting is in some countries the quality of the trophies taken is not to the credit of the skill of the hunter, ie best trophy = best most able hunter, but instead the quality management of the wild herd.

I have seen this sort of attitude mentioned right here on NE, I believe it was for some Spanish trophies.

If you can manage your wild herd over decades, culling the crap heads, shooting off the excess, perhaps introducing quality genetics, and only hunting the superior breeders later in their breeding "careers", the results can be considerable.

Unlike public wild herds where the best are shot too early, and a lot of guys shoot anything for meat, rather than the lesser heads. And poachers shoot whatever they like ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #134706 - 07/05/09 01:49 AM

i cant belive what i hear here.

did we just have a huge migration from AR ?

first off:

CF, a BIG congratulations from me, bloddy beautyful stag and pig, nice looking ram as well.
the stags you show in the pictures are very good indeed and show what one can accomplish with culling out the bad ones, it is damn hard work but in the end the results shows...

Kamilaroi:

you can do jack shit with hormones regarding antler growth, only one thing counts and that is.
good genetics and high calcium feeding year round, if you do it with pen fed deer, you get those freaky american antlers, for the record the antlers shown above looks very much like the ones we get in northern europe.

paradox:

WTF did someone shag your favorite sheep last night ?

regards

peter

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12297

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com