Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: peter]
      #134717 - 07/05/09 05:08 AM

I have been reading this thread and wondering the same things as Peter. Wow.

Talk about a hanging before the jury is selected...

Controlled Feed; really nice head, and your country is absolutely stunning, too. More I read about it and see the pix, the more I'd like to take a jaunt over there.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: kamilaroi]
      #134720 - 07/05/09 05:20 AM

Quote:

Fair call yet still I remain sceptical. ("growth hormones" being metaphorical)

Yes I am a bit disgusted as well.

Look at the above comment.

Commenting on a stag I shot. In the wild. Had been in the wild for years. I posted no photos, no evidence of anything on here, yet these negative comments ie "remain sceptical".

Real BS armchair stuff.

Same as some of the comments for C-Fs story and photos.

How about a bit of manners from some of the people here. Lots of forums elsewhere where rudeness is actively encouraged if that is the sort of thing that people get their kicks from. But not here.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

TOP_PREDATOR
.224 member

Reged: 03/05/06
Loc: British colony of New Zealand
Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: NitroX]
      #134733 - 07/05/09 08:11 AM

Looks like you had a great trip Controlled Feed,thanks for sharing photos.

--------------------
"I have carried out my official duties as long and faithfully as i can,and for the rest I have lived in such a fashion as seemed most agreeable to me...convinced that a good day's shooting is second in point of pleasure to nothing else on earth."

Lord Warwick

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
      #134744 - 07/05/09 10:57 AM

Thanks Peter.
You are of course 100% right about about genetics and calcium for good antler growth. this is proven by the not unsubstantial industry that has sprung up in New Zealand, ( and other countries) resulting in some of the biggest antlered Red deer ever seen, one might even say abnormally so.

Unfotunatley this "industry" has no intention of releasing this "Improved herd" back into the wild, or wilderness areas of New Zealand where all Hunters have access, accept of course where the odd one gets out from behind the wire.( lets hope so)

So that means they are available at a sliding price scale to those who are interested in the biggest antlers, ( and who isnt), not the quality of a fair chase hunt.( open to definition), but I am sure you know all this, as you do everything.

As for your sheep comment, I might ask you same about small horses!!!

Good Evening

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

paradox_
.375 member

#134745 - 07/05/09 11:18 AM

CF
Seems, I have struck a cord!!

"So are the working stations in NZ different to the ones in Oz?? I should have known that the properties in QLD aren't as wild as in NZ."

You have sumed it up! You and your family clearly had a great holiday, on a working farm,on which you killed a few animals....and good on you, your choice, do what you like.
Maybe, though your post should have gone to one of the many travelogue forums.

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: kamilaroi]
      #134746 - 07/05/09 11:24 AM

Nitro,
Actually, no, cant remember the last time I saw one in a wilderness area in New Zealand. I am sure there are plenty on game farms though.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: paradox_]
      #134762 - 07/05/09 04:24 PM

Quote:

Nitro,
Actually, no, cant remember the last time I saw one in a wilderness area in New Zealand. I am sure there are plenty on game farms though.

My point was first hand knowledge? Never seen one in the wild, yet know they are tame or whatever.

I will elaborate on my example for info as an illustration.

The ram I shot was during a red stag hunt on a private farm in Central North Island near some mountainous/hilly region with a wild deer herds. A deer farm on the farm attracted stags to it. I had shot a nice stag that morning, and we had it in the vehicle and were driving it to the farm sheds to skin and gut it. On the way we spotted on a hill top a group of extremely dirty brown sheep that the guide said were wild sheep. He said there was a good ram among them, did I want him? I asked how much, then said I would think about it and we drove on and dealt with the stag carcase.

While there I thought about it and decided that they didn't look like domestic sheep, they also didn't act like it and later didn't either. The sheep were arranged in a circle on top of the hill so they could see in all directions of approach. Never seen this in domestic sheep, but who knows.

I decided I would never purposely hunt a ram in NZ, and was unlikely to ever seen some again in the wild, so why not, if they were still there, seeing there was an opportunity at hand. Sure no great trophy to brag about but who cares.

Driving back we could see in the distance they were still lying up, and planned a stalk to a neighbouring hill from the crest to take a shot. We did this and I took the shot but not well, not allowing for the animal lying up shooting too high or low (I forget). They ran off, and running to a new position I managed to shoot the ram again. The guide thought I had shot the wrong one the second time, but I hadn't. The rest of the "flock" ran straight through over, or under, a sheep stock fence as if it wasn't there and down into a very thick scrubby ravine and away.

Were they wild? To me I would say yes. The trophy now has been cleaned and washed many times so the brown is now nice and woolly.

Were they Arapawa sheep? No. But they were wild/feral.

Is it a great trophy? Not to me, but no lesser than any feral goat or pig trophy. Not on the level of a big horn or dall sheep trophy from true wild stock. But neither is a feral goat equivalent to a Rocky Mountain goat, or a feral boar, equivalent to a wild boar trophy.

Is it anyone else's business? NO. Shot in the wild, not canned at all in any form.

As for Arapawa sheep on game hunting reserves. Is the problem the fences or the sheep? Again is it anyone's business if a guy says it was free range and it was fun for him.

NZ really is a country of the "long white can" in so many ways, that any free range wild trophy could be questioned and sometimes very unfairly. Forget about sheep or high fences, shooting from helicopters, spotting game from helicopters, then dropping off for the shot, everything questionable seems to be openly practised there and encouraged.

No need to be impolite though.

However NZ is still a great place to hunt and have fun, and it should be a hunting paradise.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#134763 - 07/05/09 04:30 PM

PS regarding sheep "trophies", I also remember an incident when I showed the stag and sheep trophies at a deer hunting club meeting.

I overheard two guys, saying derogatorily, that "This place is getting just like the SCI".

Interesting both guys were confirmed and dedicated poachers who will jump any fence to illegally shoot stags as "trophies", and one also is known to use a spotlight to do so as well.

Standards, hey?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #134773 - 07/05/09 07:07 PM

Introducing superior genetics into wild herds has been going on for years, for example some estates in Scotland introducing Warnham Park genes etc as far back as the 19th Century. I'm pretty sure the same has occurred all over the world. After all, where did the stags in New Zealand come from in the first place? They darn well should have superior genetics.

As for the rest, culling the weak, maintaining a good herd age structure, keeping overall numbers within the carrying capacity of the ground by culling younger males and importantly females is all just good herd management. The reward should be a sustainable supply of older and good trophy animals. Even on public land, haven't some states made it a requirement to tag out on a female before being allowed a tag for a buck? I personally think that there should be separate seasons for does with multiple tags available for meat hunters, but thats another issue. Maybe it happens already?

As long as supplementary feeding is not done purely to increase the carrying capacity of the ground, but for reasons of good health in leaner times, then I don't see a problem with that either. As for calcium, you will often find that where nutrients are relatively abundant through normal grazing/browsing, as I imagine is the case in NZ looking at the lush vegetation in the photos, then oftentimes animals will not even touch calcium blocks.

We have discussed what is wilderness before on NE and came to the conclusion that in most parts of the world, it no longer exists. Therefore good herd management and hunting opportunities outside fenced enclosures is the best we can expect. Where we do hunt behind fences, I for one search for the largest areas possible, as Mike did on his Namibian hunt.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #134790 - 08/05/09 03:10 AM

Quote:

Thanks Peter.
You are of course 100% right about about genetics and calcium for good antler growth. this is proven by the not unsubstantial industry that has sprung up in New Zealand, ( and other countries) resulting in some of the biggest antlered Red deer ever seen, one might even say abnormally so.

Unfotunatley this "industry" has no intention of releasing this "Improved herd" back into the wild, or wilderness areas of New Zealand where all Hunters have access, accept of course where the odd one gets out from behind the wire.( lets hope so)

So that means they are available at a sliding price scale to those who are interested in the biggest antlers, ( and who isnt), not the quality of a fair chase hunt.( open to definition), but I am sure you know all this, as you do everything.

As for your sheep comment, I might ask you same about small horses!!!

Good Evening

Paradox

the reason why most people with a real interest in herd improving make sure that it is on private land. is simply because when all hunters have access, very little improving takes place if any at all. thats why many people put down large sums on farms, breeding stocks and the time to make it exellent. being green with envy is allright we all are at times, putting other peoples hunts down when you dont know enough about it, is plain dumb in my book.

if by "industry" you mean the people who have a hunting farm, where they try to make a perfect biotop for the species they chose to have on their farm, and you cry about them not releasing them to the places where they can be poached by the masses, why should they ?
i dont mind a great fallow deer escapes from our forest(that we rent from an estate) but only if he gets pushed out by a bigger one. when i spend a lot of time and money on improving the roe and fallow herd on our lands, why would i want these animals to be shot down by the unpaying masses ?

yes it cost to have a place all to yourself, but it is worth it to some.

about me knowing everything, well i dont, but i have spent enough years on estates, to know the fundamentals about this, including poachers and freewheelers, and i rather know a little about a lot, than to know jack shit about anything.

i can't catch my horses with my pants down and i dont think they would be to impressed if i did

best

peter

paradox_
.375 member

#134808 - 08/05/09 12:15 PM

Nitro,
Your point about first hand knowledge.
My point was actually that there are no sheep, wild or otherwise in the wilderness areas of New Zealand, except for the odd fringe of forest park that borders a sheep farm. The main reason for this is that these un musterable domestic animals, often heavy with wool and noisy dags dont fair well in difficult bush terrain.
I have in fact seen more than most under these circumstances. Further, at no time did I use the word " tame" when describing them. Have I in years gone by shot the odd one for the table?, yes of course, but at no time did I consider them a "game animal". or that I was doing nothing more than shooting domestic stock that the cockie couldnt catch or muster.
My rather impolite ( admitted) comment to CF was initiated out of fruastration that we as hunters have convinced ourselves that shooting domestic animals bred for wool and meat is hunting. Have we come to this?
My apologies to all, but sheep in New Zealand , Arapawa or otherwise are not Game Animals.

You ask if shooting sheep on preserves is anyone elses business. Not sure if you are saying its none of mine of not, but really its all our busines. Lets remember that as the anti hunters see more and more of this, what you call canned hunting the more ammunition they have, the more lazy we become and the more at risk our sport becomes.
There was very recently such a exposure involving a huge canned red stag and an overweight foreign visitor that made the press in NZ. Are these the standards you refer to and do you personally condone this type of hunting?

You call NZ the long white can. Lets not forget that in that country there exists some of the finest wild deer hunting in some of the finest wild places to be had just about anywhere, and you know what its practically free. Why then are we discussing sheep shooting in the back of the cockies farm?

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #134810 - 08/05/09 12:21 PM

Nitro,not sure if I have taken your PS the wrong way, but for the record I am a a SCI member, do not condone or partake in poaching, and dont hunt big game with a spotlight!!!!

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

#134832 - 08/05/09 03:50 PM

Peter,
Please understand I am aware of the basic principals of game management and the relative benefits, although I admit to not being the expert that you so clearly are.
I am not suggesting that people who bankrole and raise deer on preserves should not obtain a return, but there was an inference that such improvement benefits the species as a population, both wild and preserved, and clearly by your statements it only benefits those that are preserved, and in your own case by those who want " to keep it all for themselves".

Trying to apply your principals and knowing "jack shit" about anything, I admit to not understanding how your practices might help the wild deer herds in our part of the world, not to mention us hunters who prefer NOT to micro manage individual animals to the point where one European "keeper" I hunted with knew every male deer almost by number and medal rating.
An interesting form of hunting, but not for all of us.

You have stated that where all hunters have access the herd shows" little of no improvement at all".

Explain to me then how, what may be regarded as the best "Trophy" producing herd of wild Sika deer ( Cervus Nippon Nippon) anywhere in the world continues to produce world class Trophies year after year for over 100 years without any of your "mangement" interference.
To help you answer please remember all hunters have access to the largely public lands on which the deer are located.
Hunters take immature stags, females , juveniles at all times of the year.
There is no bag limit
Hunters are encouraged by government in order to keep numbers in check. Mountain Huts are supplied at a small cost to assist in the process
Some easliy accessable areas are spotlighted
Deer have in the past being pursued by helicoptors ( indisciminatley)

Dispite all this New Zealand wild Sika rate, at least in antler growth better than most European exotic preserved herds.

I am not anti deer mangement, but sometimes herds with a good genetic base can thrive and provide great hunting for EVERYONE, not just a select few.

I think I can now understand why your horses may not be impressed, pants up or down!!!

All the best

--------------------

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #134842 - 08/05/09 07:27 PM

Peter,
Please understand I am aware of the basic principals of game management and the relative benefits, although I admit to not being the expert that you so clearly are.
Quote:

about me knowing everything, well i dont,

apparently you are also reading impared

I am not suggesting that people who bankrole and raise deer on preserves should not obtain a return, but there was an inference that such improvement benefits the species as a population, both wild and preserved, and clearly by your statements it only benefits those that are preserved, and in your own case by those who want " to keep it all for themselves".
Quote:

i dont mind a great fallow deer escapes from our forest(that we rent from an estate) but only if he gets pushed out by a bigger one.

back to the reading thing again

Trying to apply your principals and knowing "jack shit" about anything, I admit to not understanding how your practices might help the wild deer herds in our part of the world, not to mention us hunters who prefer NOT to micro manage individual animals to the point where one European "keeper" I hunted with knew every male deer almost by number and medal rating.
appels and oranges, there are many different ways of managing a deer herd without pen raising them or micro managing them

You have stated that where all hunters have access the herd shows" little of no improvement at all".

Explain to me then how, what may be regarded as the best "Trophy" producing herd of wild Sika deer ( Cervus Nippon Nippon) anywhere in the world continues to produce world class Trophies year after year for over 100 years without any of your "mangement" interference.
To help you answer please remember all hunters have access to the largely public lands on which the deer are located.
Hunters take immature stags, females , juveniles at all times of the year.
There is no bag limit
Hunters are encouraged by government in order to keep numbers in check. Mountain Huts are supplied at a small cost to assist in the process
Some easliy accessable areas are spotlighted
Deer have in the past being pursued by helicoptors ( indisciminatley)

Dispite all this New Zealand wild Sika rate, at least in antler growth better than most European exotic preserved herds.

im no expert on NZ sika but from what i read and the people i talk to, you have the same problem as they do in ireland, and that is a lot of red influence in the sika herd, which means that although impressive antlers, it is not sika, but a cross and therefore actually making my point that the herd has not improved but detiorated by not being clean anymore

I am not anti deer mangement, but sometimes herds with a good genetic base can thrive and provide great hunting for EVERYONE, not just a select few.
i envy you the great wilderness areas that you all down there can hunt freely, without having to pay for it, but in terms of herd magement, it will allways be an uphill battle mostly lost

I think I can now understand why your horses may not be impressed, pants up or down!!!

cute

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#134846 - 08/05/09 08:21 PM

Quote:

not to mention us hunters who prefer NOT to micro manage individual animals to the point where one European "keeper" I hunted with knew every male deer almost by number and medal rating.

This is actually not that difficult and does not mean micro-management in a negative way. Some species of deer are very territorial and also predictable. For example, I am very fortunate to be able to stalk on an area of about 5,000 acres for roebuck and muntjac deer. This is very big for southern England I can tell you. It is not fenced in any way other than some enclosed stock fields (sheep) but deer have no problem moving freely throughout. Furthermore it is surrounded by other large arable farms and woodland. Simply by being on the ground regularly and spending time watching deer, the stalker (read gamekeeper for deer) knows where the trophy deer are because they can be patterned. As the general herd management plan is to sustainably cull approximately 60% females, 20% young males, 10% middle aged bucks and 10% old bucks, the age structure of the herd has been dramatically improved, which in turn means that when a trophy head is taken, you know that there will be middle aged bucks to take its place. On an area that size, if a trophy is taken, that block of woodland might not be stalked again for a couple of years, but you can be fairly certain that the territory will have been taken over by another old age class buck or a middle age buck that can be stalked or left to grow on.

You might think that this is ridiculous on an area this size, but once you get to know the ground, it is pretty straightforward. Despite the lack of fences, the trophy bucks don't wander or get pushed out of their territory because the number of young and middle aged bucks is controlled. If every hunter goes in and tries to shoot an old aged trophy buck, then the age structure of the herd is skewed towards younger and middle aged bucks, which increases competition and actually results in more habitat damage too (tree fraying etc)

On the other hand, muntjac on this place seem to be much less patternable. You can stalk where a gamekeeper may have seen a big buck hanging around when he has been dogging in the partridges or pheasants, but there is not the same degree of certainty that he will still be there.

paradox_
.375 member

#134857 - 08/05/09 10:21 PM

Think we will leave it there Peter, but urge you do some research on the Red/Sika hybryd issue, study some skull sutures,antler structures, etc of those Sika that the ill informed refer to cross breeds.

Good luck with your Fallow

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#134859 - 08/05/09 10:39 PM

Here is the Idaho Fish and Game website for research programs. I thought it might be of some interest to those who are actively involved in private game management programs, or who merely have an interest in how it is done elsewhere.

https://research.idfg.idaho.gov/wildlife...%20Reports.aspx

One of the facts that must be admitted impacts essentially all game management world over; human interaction produces the net result. Here in Idaho, we have some of the largest wildlands areas in the world, but nevertheless, even in our wilderness areas, human interaction has impacted wildlife and game.

So in effect, the differences between areas of the world are in degree only. Those who seek to manage for pre-human conditions are hard up against reality, that is, are up against impossibility. That said, every management plan is performed for a end result satisfactory to the users {hunters, viewers, even those who hold to a hands-and-boots-off philosophy}.

This is why in almost every case I simply cannot condemn anyone's plan. ALL plans alter game numbers, horn growth, gender ratios, habitat, etc. As regards hunting, some places produce "supermarket" experiences, others "big country" experiences. To each his own. All I ask is that the type of hunting be made known clearly to those who are intending to pay for it and full disclosure of the "hunt" or hunt is made to those who view the "trophy" or trophy.

If a fellow wants to fence off ten acres and shoot old worn-out, toothless movie studio or zoo lions or canned muntjak deer that were fawned last year in the manager's bedroom, I really personally don't mind. Fine on him. Make sure the harvest is clean and the animals are not brought up in a state of human-caused suffering and their end is short and sweet and my feelings are not offended. I personally have no interest in hunting such animals, but then, I have no particular interest in hunting game under quite a number of conditions that fellows here might think just fine. But I'm not going to condemn somebody for hunting a certain way unless he lies about it, and I am not going to call a hunter a liar unless I investigate and find out that he is.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (08/05/09 11:17 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: 9.3x57]
      #134860 - 08/05/09 11:05 PM

BTW: My own personal experience involves the management of my own place. As with everyone else's, the results are impacted not just by what I do here but by what external factors impact the habitat I try to improve; weed seed blowing in from the outside, seasonal migration patterns of all desirable species, and predators, both large and small {coyote, lion and wolf and to a small degree bear}.

I have 540 acres adjoining tens of thousands of acres of state, federal and timber company land. In fact, I can walk out one side of my house and stroll 185 miles without seeing a building of any kind and only then when I do it will be in the "raging" metropolis of St Regis, Montana. Find that one on the map if you can!

I do not have high fences, so critters are free to come and go as they please. And we have relatively {on the scale of many countries and states represented here} low carrying capacity for low overall game numbers.

So what is my basic plan for hunt management for my goal of both good trophy size AND "subsistence" meat hunting?

Since I am limited by public ownership of game, and do not have the ability to significantly control off-property predators, I make the habitat as suitable as possible {within cost and other competing contraints like timber management on my place} for the desirable game species, which during the hunting seasons basically means deer {elk remain at higher elevations above my place at that time of the year}. My goal is to "invite" as many breeding females as possible on my place during the fall hunting season, breeding females being the "bait" for bucks. And it works; we have shot quite a number of excellent heads on the place {...well, my kids have... }.

Later in the fall season we kill does because later in the spring the greenup always brings in a new herd of deer, a number of which replenish the crop we took off in the fall. Works!

Nothing has been said about grain food plots, mineral blocks, enhanced feeding programs. I could introduce all such tools, but to me I would lose the "wild" aspect of the place if I did. To each his own. If my neighbor decided to do same, I would not condemn him, and certainly would not hesitate to shoot the produce of his efforts were the "Monster" to wander over onto my place during the hunting season!!

Are my goals being met?

You bet!

Not perfectly, but almost perfectly, with the real and significant threat to my efforts not being the failure of those efforts but rather the predator policies of the State.

There's lots more to it of course {the hard word of all-year-long predator killing [coyote trapping and shooting], weed spraying, trail cutting/maintenance, blind construction, timber cutting and thinning, etc, etc, etc} but you get the point. Call it a peek into the window of one little guy's little world of game management...

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (08/05/09 11:13 PM)

Bonde
.333 member

Reged: 16/02/06
Loc: Norway
Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: 9.3x57]
      #134878 - 09/05/09 03:32 AM

I.Paradox mentions Sika and New Zealand, and I feel I can fill in some info that:

The sika of NZ mainly exsists in the central North Island. The Kaweka and another adjoining park, can't remember the name at the moment, and there theylive and thrive very well indeed!
The heads taken out of the Kawekas every autumn are most of the time Very good!
There are several reasons:
1. They have very good genetics.
2. Enough and good feeding.
3. The bush in this area are so dense and of such a size, that hunting is bloody difficult! I've been in there roughing it for 12 days alone, and I connected with Sika only a few times and only cathed a glimpse most of the time. I connect with reds "all the time" in same type of bush for comparison..
They are, IMHO, the most difficult deer to hunt due to its keen senses. They do have a weakness, as all males- the rut! Some outfitters in NZ are very good at calling them in during the rut, and thats when the good heads are brought out. These stags are to elusive the rest of the year, even in velvet... You can bump into a big red stag by accident, but not a sika stag in dense bush. Due to its terrain, the Sikas do well on their own. In other areas that are more easily hunted the good heads are far between.
4. Cross breds:
I saw many heads of Sika, reds and crosses while in nz. You're seldom in doubt when you see a great head, wether it's pure or crossbred. The pure Sika head has a distinct form. Like our roebuck, it stops at a maximum number of spikes. The pure sikas are even 4+4s. You do have the odd animal that has abnormities, but alas, the same happens with roebuck. Exceptions from the rule..

Conclusion: This kind og "free deer management" probably wouldn't work any other places, except the very most remote areas.

II. Great heads of Red-deer ,living "free-range" is a thing of the past in nz. Unless they live on private land(with or without fences), they get hammered long before they reach any good size... The great heads of the 40-50-60s are long gone! Sad but true! Enjoy the pictures in the books.... (Rex Forresters Hunting in N.Z. f.ex)

I've worked on a nz station, and the owner had a little deer farm along with the cattle. This farm attracted deer from the National Park (thick bush!) close by, some were captured, and others left to live partly on the farmland, partly in the park. These grew big! They were also sold to hunters who wanted good heads. They were as wild as any deer, as they came out from the wild. The terrain was easier going than the neighbouring forest and gave better feed, but by no means so easy that you could just pick a deer.. It was still pretty bushy, and the animals still "wild" as far as I'm concerned. The farmhouse was 15-20 min away with the ATV... This is in fact the way most hunting in N.Z. by foreigners are done today. On private estates at the S.I. they do the same with chamois and Thar. (These to species are the only ones left that you can shoot on public land, and still get a good trophy. Only because it is difficult hunting, and takes some planning to do. pretty steep terrain too by the way..)

Every hunt can be done as hard or easy as anyone wishes. It's not my cup of tea to shoot a red stag at a field in nz, but I do shoot roedeer at the field in Norway (and would in England too for that matter), and I have no bad feeling about dooing so. When in Rome, do as the romans. That says it all I think..

The pictures of the deer posted earlier on are probably the same kind of reds my boss sold: Wild deer living on farmland. Hunting and shooting these are by no means unsporting, or easy. They are more difficult than most red deer in scotland f.ex.

Canned hunting sure is unsporting: The problem is you never can tell only by the pictures...! I won't judge the heads before I get the story behind..

I'm rather appaled by the reaction CF got:
The only thing that is 100% certain is that they're taken on PRIVATE LAND! Why draw the paralell to canned hunting and unsporting hunting Paradox?

In most areas in the world, there are more hunters than there are good deer heads..: We DO need some sort of control, and on private land that control is good herdplanning, and the money talks when it comes to hunting -as always!

Congrats on some really nice heads CF! I hope you had a great time hunting, and that you won't let other destroy it

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill

Edited by bonde (09/05/09 03:39 AM)

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand [Re: Bonde]
      #134895 - 09/05/09 08:55 AM

Quote:

I'm rather appaled by the reaction CF got:
The only thing that is 100% certain is that they're taken on PRIVATE LAND! Why draw the paralell to canned hunting and unsporting hunting Paradox?

In most areas in the world, there are more hunters than there are good deer heads..: We DO need some sort of control, and on private land that control is good herdplanning, and the money talks when it comes to hunting -as always!

Congrats on some really nice heads CF! I hope you had a great time hunting, and that you won't let other destroy it

Well said.

osix
.224 member

Reged: 13/07/07
      #134905 - 09/05/09 12:16 PM

CF that is a magnificent red, congratulations

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12832

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com