Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Need NZ Tahr and Stag hunt info.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
450Dakota
.300 member

Reged: 18/03/04
Loc: California, USA
Need NZ Tahr and Stag hunt info.
      #13323 - 11/04/04 06:51 PM

Hello all..

At the SCI Reno show this year, I became overcome with the desire to hunt Tahr. The bad thing is I really had not come into the show expecting such a thing, so I guess shows do work as advertised. What I have found is there seems to be two way's to hunt . One is you fly around in a helicopter find the one you want, step out when the copter lands on a ledge and wack your Tahr, hook'em and fly back to your 5 star lodge and have a beer.. I really didn't mind hunting that way when uncle sam paid me for it. But this is somewhat different.The other is free range hunting, but the NZ boys seem to have a different veiw of a free range hunt than I do. As I don't climb the Alps as often as I should to keep in tip top shape, I don't mind being droped off by copter at a drop camp and hunt from there.. What seems to muddy the water's further is I also wish to hunt stag during the roar. This seems to pose even a bigger problem as all stag hunting is done on private ranches with high fencing.. While this type of controled hunting is fine for some, it's not really my style or desire.. Have any of our members hunted or have direct experince with a NZ outfitter who can provide the type of hunt I'm looking for?.. I do have a couple of outfitter's in mind, but was not sure if I should post their names....

Thanks

Edited by 450Dakota (16/04/04 02:55 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Need NZ Tahr and Stag hunt info. [Re: 450Dakota]
      #13336 - 12/04/04 02:24 AM

450Dakota

Glad to see your head is screwed on right. That first type of tahr "hunting" is NOT hunting to my view, just a way of some guys getting something the easy way to brag about on their wall.

I know of one outfitter who used to drop off huts high in the Alps and then have clients dropped their by chopter, ie avoiding the climbs up and down. Then hunt on foot on the tops. That is still hunting in my view.

He also used to have red stag hunts 100% free range.

It is about time I contacted him to see if he is still in the business or not, as he know also makes rifle actions.

Send me a PM if you like and I MAY know of the outfitters or not as the case may be.

NZ ranch hunting is not my cup of tea in any form.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

450Dakota
.300 member

Reged: 18/03/04
Loc: California, USA
Re: Need NZ Tahr and Stag hunt info. [Re: NitroX]
      #13377 - 12/04/04 01:50 PM

Nitro,

You have a pm, providing of course that I did it right. I after all am a computer idiot

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1507

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com