Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cape guns anyone?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
vegard_dino
.333 member

Reged: 05/03/09
Loc: From Norway, but living in Swi...
Cape guns anyone?
      #132929 - 21/04/09 06:12 AM

Hi all

Well, I am going to ask more about guns that are not so much in use today......

The cape gun,just as the drilling, a great gun. Only cheaper than the drilling and yes, with two barrels.

But, thinking of it. If one go hunting for deer and at the same time are hunting birds,, what better gun is a cape gun? Yes, the drilling, but lets try and forget that one now...

You have one barrel with say a 7-8 or even a 9.3 mm caliber, ready for deer, elk, bear and even moose and a shotgun ready for the bird that comes in your way, and yes, even that one can be loaded with a brenneke, to make it the perfect short range deer or boar caliber.

Do any one here hunt with the cape gun?

How do you find it?

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: Cape guns anyone? [Re: vegard_dino]
      #132937 - 21/04/09 07:43 AM

Hi Vegard_dino
I used to hunt with cape guns for some years, my first was a 9,3x74R / 20/76 and I have shot quite some roe deer and foxes with it. But I didn`t like the set trigger and also the Zeiss scope sight was mounted too far back for my anatomy so I sold it one day. Later I bought a cape gun in 7x57R / 20/70 with exposed hammers, a really beautiful piece of workmanship that bagged plenty of roe deer, foxes and my first male wild boar, which is seen in the picture below. Too bad that one day the accuracy was gone and two gunsmiths didn`t manage to get the problem solved. I guess the barrels became loose and these unqualified gunsmiths were below the level to handle such problems. Otherwise it was pure joy to carry that gun, versatile as a drilling but not so complicated. I think a cape-gun-type set of barrels would be a perfect addition to a double, one gun for most hunting situations.

Kalunga

vegard_dino
.333 member

Re: Cape guns anyone? [Re: Kalunga]
      #132938 - 21/04/09 08:06 AM

H Kalunga

Thats a great wild boar.

Thank you for the reply.

That is just the kind of hunting the cape gun is made for. A one do it all gun.

Have you got the barrel, accuracy, fixed?

I really hope so.

What make is the gun?

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
      #132939 - 21/04/09 08:23 AM

No, I sold the gun. Somehow I didn`t trust it no more after I missed a sick roe deer at 40 meters. Now I would know a very good gunsmith that could fix such a problem but at least I sold the gun without loss. Now I use a Mauser 98 in 9,3x62 for hunting in Germany and it is rare that I miss the possibility to use a shotgun barrel. But still, a good cape gun is nice to hunt with.

Kalunga

Wicked good hunting !!!

vegard_dino
.333 member

Re: Cape guns anyone? [Re: Kalunga]
      #132940 - 21/04/09 08:29 AM

Hi

That was to bad..to bad.

But, yes, the 9.3*62 is a good caliber..but not a cape gun.....

Well, hope the gun lives one.

Thanks for sharing

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

m4220
.300 member

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: wa
      #132950 - 21/04/09 11:16 AM

Hi Vegard,
I have a German Buchsflinte made in the 1880's by Heinrich Scherping of Hannover, it is a very nice back action hammer gun in 12 ga x 10.25x60R (variant of the 43 mauser case). The shot gun bbl is of damascuss steel & rifle bbl of fluid steel, it has a side lever opening and a fold into the receiver tang Diopter rear sight as well as the standart flip up on the rib as well as an Ivory moon front sight that flips up in front of the standard front sight for hunting in low light conditions, also has a set trigger for the rifle bbl. There is an article on it in the #34 journal of the German Gun Collector Assn. You have to ask yourself what do you really need if you are only going to have 1 as the drillings are hard to beat although a little more $, I just aqquired a Heinrich Scherping/JP Sauer Drilling built around 1903 in 20x20x9.3x72R & with 70mm chambers & with the right shot gun bbl choked cylinder (shot x slug x rifle) that is a hard to beat combination for true versatility. It is also a side lever opening with a top lever selector for the right bbl or rifle bbl.

m4220

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Cape guns anyone? [Re: m4220]
      #132967 - 21/04/09 01:03 PM

Kalunga,

Great photo! Nice boar, gun, and dog. It must have been quite a day.

Vegard_dino,

Thus far I have one buchsflinte but I haven't dropped a beast with it as yet. Kalunga's photo has me thinking I sure should. It's an early Sauer back action hammer 16 ga X .43 Mauser. Perhaps I'll take it out this fall and see about putting a whitetail in the freezer. I'm sure the Sauer will work fine.

My favorites are the SXS double rifles but the buchsflintes, bockbuchsflintes, drillings, and vierlings are all nice and do what they were designed to do as well. Fun stuff ... I'm still thinking about Kalunga's boar.

Marcus

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

vegard_dino
.333 member

Re: Cape guns anyone? [Re: Buchsemann]
      #132985 - 21/04/09 05:44 PM

Hi Marcus

Yes, its a nice boar,, guess it was a great day..

Oh, you need to take your cape gun out, but take care..... Maybe you will need a bigger freezer????

Have a photo of it?

I feel the same as you, a drilling, vierling or a cape gun, is just a great and fun, gun to shot and hunt with.

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

vegard_dino
.333 member

Re: Cape guns anyone? [Re: m4220]
      #132986 - 21/04/09 05:50 PM

Hi m4220

Thanks for the reply.

Have you got the new drilling yet? Tried shooting with it? I am sure you will enjoy taking it out hunting.
If that one was able to talk, imagine the hunting stories you will get?

You older drilling, have you done some hunting with it?
Maybe you have a photo of it?

Well, the drilling is maybe the best hunting gun made, one slug, shots and a rifle bullet, ready. They are a bit more $, but maybe, just maybe, they are that tiny bit "better" to......

Thanks for the info

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
      #133037 - 22/04/09 01:31 AM

Vegard_dino:
I am also a fan of the cape gun and drilling. I have two. One is a Husgvarna M17B with rifle barrel caliber 12.7X44R and the smooth bore 16 ga. I have posted the gun and shooting a short time ago.

The other cape gun is a Franz Newmeyer of German make. This one is another hammer gun, but a much higher quality and finish than the Husqvarna. This one is in 9.5x56R x 16ga. It has very nice horn triggerguard and underlever. Set Triggers, a pop-up tang sight and very nice wood. The casehardened colors on the metal are very bright. The underlever has a silver layer that serves as a friction reduction between the lever and under barrel.
This gun I have not done shooting with yet. I have the brass cases for the 9.5x56R that I had made from an original loaded cartridge as an example. I will when I have some time to work on them.

I can post photos again if you would like to see them.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Buchsemann
.333 member

Re: Cape guns anyone? [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #133040 - 22/04/09 03:02 AM

Vegard_dino,

I need to do something about filling the freezers that I have this year, my inventory of wild game is getting kinda low. Last winter I was trophy hunting and "the big guy" never showed up. My deer hunting is an annual thing (a given) and I plan on doing a boar hunt this year as well. I'd like to head down to New Mexico for an elk hunt but I haven't locked in anything as yet.

I'm packing tonight for a trip to do some maintenance on a property I have and to do some turkey hunting in the mornings. When I get back I'll have to take some pictures of the Sauer buchsflinte and several bockbuchsflintes for another thread that I think was started by Dale.

With regard to drillings, if I was to have one gun I would opt for the drilling. Double rifle drillings are great if you hunt primarily large game. A “combination” of a large rifle caliber, a small rifle caliber, and a tube for shot would cover everything. The more conventional SXS shotgun over a high power rifle has been a popular choice since the beginning. And then there is the small game drilling such as a “shienen” drilling, a SXS shotgun with a small bore (.22LR for example) running through the top rib. I hope fate allows me to never be put in a position where I have to pick one as I like them all. The “oddities” such as the drillings with three shotgun barrels or three rifle barrels don’t do much for me but I can appreciate some collectors wanting to have them.

This discussion reminds me that I should post some pictures a Franz Sodia bockdrilling that I have: 12 ga over a 7X57R with a .22LR running along side.

Marcus

PS – The attached picture is of a “Schienen” drilling that I have that was distributed by W. Eblen of Stuttgart (November, 1930). It is a 16 ga. SXS with a .22LR running through the rib. It’s from an earlier post having to do with cocking indicators.

--------------------

- John Dryden

vegard_dino
.333 member

#133043 - 22/04/09 04:13 AM

88MauSporter

Oh yes, love to se some photo´s

A hammer drilling is nice, hope you will do some shooting, hunting with it to. The caliber 9.5*56R is one I do not know so much about. What bullet weight you thinking of using?

12.7*44R to, you got some very interesting caliber´s!!
You hunt with it?

Thank you for sharing the information

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

vegard_dino
.333 member

#133048 - 22/04/09 04:28 AM

Marcus

I wish you good luck with the turkey hunt. I have so far never done one, but for sure like to try one day. Hear they are not easy to get hold of.

For them,the drilling, cape gun, will be just the thing

As you say, a one gun do it all, well, that have to a drilling. As you I do not like the three shotgun/rife barrels , I like the two shotgun and one rife style and even better, the two rifle barrel, for more large game hunting.

One large caliber rifle and one smaller, for the small game, a sitting rabbit, bird in a tree, turkey and so.
But, maybe the BEST driling is one with shotgun*2 and a large rife caliber under, with a einstecklauf in a smaller caliber, just for the times you need it...

Thank you for posting drilling, you hunt wit it?
It sure is nice.

Love to se the Franz Sodia bockdrilling you have to...

P.S, where you gone go boar hunting???

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

Buchsemann
.333 member

#133058 - 22/04/09 05:18 AM

Vegard_dino,

The shienen drilling works perfect for small game. The .22LR has been used on squirrels and stationary rabbits and thus far the shot tubes have been used on running rabbits, pigeons, and dove. I haven't used it for pheasant and quail because I'm usually hunting with a dog and therefore not messing around with shooting rabbits and squirrels.

I'll try to make it a point to take pictures of the Franz Sodia bockdrilling the next time I pull some guns out for pictures.

As to where I want to go boar hunting, there is an outfit in Michigan that is somewhat close for me and more importantly has some nice Russian boar, as I'm told (their pictures look good). A friend of mine who is also a German gun nut wants to do an early winter hunt this year using some classic firearms. I haven't decided what I'm going to bring along. I'm not sure if I'm going to use one of my double rifles or one of my drillings but either way it will be an early piece.

Marcus

--------------------

- John Dryden

vegard_dino
.333 member

#133061 - 22/04/09 06:46 AM

Hi Marcus

Thanks for the reply

Yes, the .22 LR is good for rabbits, birds and so. An interesting drilling it is.

It is nice to hunt, shoot, with a vintage.

Wish you good hunting and hope to se, hear from you how it turned out.

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #133108 - 22/04/09 02:55 PM

Pre-war two barrel set...12/8X57JR and 12/12

I use the 12/12 set most often...

But, I've taken several deer and some African PG with it, too.

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Cape guns anyone? [Re: luv2safari]
      #133179 - 23/04/09 01:15 AM

Here are a couple of my capes and my drilling. I will hunt with them and have. The Newmeyer in 9.5X56R will load with a 200 grain or 250 grain bullet. The only original load I have found used a 198 grain cast bullet. I was loaded with a nitro powder of some sort. The 12.7 I load with 385 grain hollow point or 410 grain flat point over about 75 grains of black powder or previously a substitute. I will work on some 4198 nito loads. The 9.3 is set for the usual 193 gr. loads, but I may experiment with some heavier bullet if it shoots to the sights.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

vegard_dino
.333 member

#133187 - 23/04/09 02:18 AM

Hi 88MauSporter

Thank you for the reply! No that is a nice drilling and cape guns!!!

When are they made?

Have you tested the penetration on the heavy 12.7? Sure that will be a great boar load.

Thanks for sharing

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #133237 - 23/04/09 02:29 PM

It sure is great to see those guns shot, used, hunted. I hate to see such guns in collections for collection sake and never used again.

I enjoyed the photos!!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11800

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com