Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: roebuck season 09

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: peter]
      #139036 - 15/07/09 07:38 PM

Waidmannsheil Peter ! An interesting trophy and a nice companion You have up there. It looks like he didn`t get tired form dragging home Your buck ! Greetings to him !

Kalunga

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #139043 - 15/07/09 10:44 PM

First, marvelous dog! Really a fine-looking fellow!

And congrats, Peter. Much character in the rack of the old gent.

And....Gun and Load??

{Also, a question, is that a meadow hawkweed {hieracium pratense} plant to the right of the left antler? Can't tell for sure but am curious.}

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: 9.3x57]
      #139047 - 16/07/09 01:07 AM

thanks guy's

first: gun and load, well this time i didnt have to borrow my wifes 223, the sights are filed in on the viking gun and it shoots with in reason out to 100 yards(longer than i usually shoot) and i just fits me for fast shots.
load were 500 grains brenneke 12 bore standard loads shoot to the sights at 50 and a bit low at 100. works very well for me.

as to the weed, i wouldent know if my life depended on it, its right up there with all the stinging nettels and tidsels in my newly planted forest.

best

peter

9.3x57
.450 member

#139048 - 16/07/09 01:20 AM

Quote:

thanks guy's

first: gun and load, well this time i didnt have to borrow my wifes 223, the sights are filed in on the viking gun and it shoots with in reason out to 100 yards(longer than i usually shoot) and i just fits me for fast shots.
load were 500 grains brenneke 12 bore standard loads shoot to the sights at 50 and a bit low at 100. works very well for me.

as to the weed, i wouldent know if my life depended on it, its right up there with all the stinging nettels and tidsels in my newly planted forest.

best

peter

The best posts are those that spark more questions!

Pix of the gun please???

{{And, newly planted forest got my attention as well. What did you plant? We put in 30,000 trees in 2002 {27,000 Ponderosa Pine, 1,500 White Pine, 1,500 Western Larch/Tamarack}. Got hit hard by the elk and deer in their first year and that set us back, but they are doing well now. For 5 years I hiked continuously and clipped split-tops and they are beautiful now. We used an 11 foot {336 cm} spacing so even after the depredation we still have lots of thinning to do. Used Pronone on the P-Pine and merely scarified the ground on the white pine/tamarack spots. The latter two went into the 210 burn spots left by burned slash piles we had after clearcutting the previous year. Wish you the best on your plantation. It is a joy to watch them grow!! }}

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

peter
removed

#139080 - 16/07/09 09:37 PM

pics are here, you allready know the gun.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post105782

the newly planted forest consist of more than 30 species of leaf tree's and bushes native to denmark, gave me doubel subsidiarys from the EC for the next 20 years, i cant even grow stuff that makes that kind of money, so it were the the perfect compromise.

best

peter

9.3x57
.450 member

#139086 - 16/07/09 10:54 PM

Yes, yes, forgot the smoothbore. Got it now.

We receive no annual income for planted trees though we can under certain circumstances get assistance to offset the cost of planting them. Basically tho, in order to comply with the Idaho Forest Practices Act, we must replant all clearcuts, cost on us, that taken out of the income from the original logging, if there was any.

Have you had any problems with depredation from roedeer? I forgot to add, before planting, we did dip all pine seedlings in Plantskydd, the blood product from Sweden, to discourage browsing by ungulates. Hard to say how well it worked. Odd winter conditions that year caused hundreds of head to congregate on my place and they flattened the plantation. For 5 years I left the coyotes alone, too, to encourage them to stick around and eat voles, rabbits, etc that girdle trees. Lots of trouble we faced! I even bought a rifle, a Savage 110 in .223 and shot over a thousand ground squirrels that were digging up my newly planted seedlings {probably attracted to the loose, scarified spot}. It was a lot of work with no material reward but much conservation work doesn't. The place had been mismanaged for many years prior to our buying it.

Now they are established and I shoot every coyote I can get a bullet in as the management plan has changed, that is, to encourage settlement of deer since they are no longer a threat to the trees. Due to activity of neighboring landowners {State and private} there are far fewer deer than there used to be and due to wolves, fewer elk, too.

How much of a threat are fox to your roedeer?

--------------------

peter
removed

#139091 - 16/07/09 11:45 PM

yes the roe hit them pretty hard thats why we fence the new forests, the fence dont work very well, but a little is still something, the worst part is in the springtime when the grass is still small, then they attack the buds and can waste a lot of that years growing. other than that it is the roebuck that is wasting the trees by rubbing them to death....
as soon as they are over 5-8 feet all is good and i cant cry to much over a few trees, when i have that much good hunting going on outside my doorstep.

the fox is the only predator that actually kill lambs in denmark, and i keep a close eye out for them so they wont overpopulate the area, it is usually done during the winter and not that hard a job, the scab is still around and do take its toll on the foxes.

best

peter

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11931

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com