Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: roebuck season 09

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: rigbymauser]
      #136089 - 25/05/09 02:45 AM

just a pic the story comes later tonight.

peter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: peter]
      #136098 - 25/05/09 05:41 AM

We are waiting!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

peter
removed

Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: 9.3x57]
      #136102 - 25/05/09 08:04 AM

sorry mate, was out butchering.

it was actually a very quite day without major stalking or anything, i sat on my three legged chair under a great oak and just watched the world go by at a nice staedy pace.
i had some nice company of bernard cornwells book "the winter king" which is highly reccomended, and some nice sunshine.

so i sat overlooking a 15 hektar field in the forest whatching the roe and fallow deer coming out and going back in the forest, there were a buck or two there but they were too young and i was enjoying myself to much to be bothered shooting one.

around 4 o'clock i was about ready to go when this little fella stepped out about 100 yards away from me and started grasing as if i wasent there so i sat down in the grass and steadyed my elbows on my knees and let the shot fly, the bullet troe the aorta from the top of his heart and he just keeled over and was dead.

best

peter

9.3x57
.450 member

#136105 - 25/05/09 12:29 PM

Marvelous pictures and sounds like a delightful hunt, too.

Deer hunting for us is hard weather, so the thought of sitting under a warm sun sounds pretty good, too!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

450_EXPRESS
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/09
Loc: S.C.Montana
      #136216 - 27/05/09 03:23 PM

The face on the roe deer puts in mind of our whitetail deer when young, that and the red summer coat makes me think they should be very good eating.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: 450_EXPRESS]
      #136220 - 27/05/09 04:48 PM

Nice little Roe buck Peter. Reminds me of my time in Southern Germany hunting these lovely animals. Notice there is no tree sprig in the mouth (last meal or bite) as they do with a fallen animal in Germany. Do you follow those quaint hunting lore traditions in Denmark?

peter
removed

Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: eagle27]
      #136227 - 27/05/09 08:28 PM

450exp:

they are very good eating, very tender and mild flavored, in the autom if they live in oak forests, they have a slight nutty flavor which is very delicius.

eagle27:

some do, i just give thanks to ull and the animal, and get on with the gralloching.

best regards

peter

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #136230 - 27/05/09 09:43 PM

fabulous Peter, best, Mike

John
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/07
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #136268 - 28/05/09 11:41 AM

Beautiful photo Peter, but I thought you Scandinavians were a hardy race? Hunting on green grass amongst the flowers under the sun! I have to travel to Africa to hunt in the sun. I’m really green with envy, you really must visit, come to Manitoba and hunt the Whitetail in Nov, some years we can even drive on the river the ice is so thick, green grass and flowers! You lucky devil, good buck all the same.

John

peter
removed

Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: John]
      #136286 - 28/05/09 05:17 PM

thanks mike

you do know that there is one waiting for you !

John

that is why we love our summer hunting so much, as the rest of the season is, well mostly cold and wet. i can actually take niicky and the kids to the syndicate for a trip at the beach and we(niicky and i) take turns with looking after the young ones or stalking. makes me appriciate going to the beach a lot more, and according to niicky, she dont have to hear a lot of whining and growling as i can just take my gun and stalk whenever i want. actually tits on the beach and stalking in the forest is my kind of heaven.

best

peter

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #136896 - 08/06/09 02:23 AM

Well - took me some time, however yesterday at 06.00 h crossed the path of this willy old bird:

Although his back teeth don't show particulary excessive use...:

...the front ones are in a pretty bad shape:

Trophy:

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: rigbymauser]
      #137897 - 24/06/09 07:31 PM

The Sauer spoke again last night. Nothing spectacular but I'm glad anyway. He was an old buck who had seen better days but he was ruling a, difficult to hunt, part of our territory (with many houses and roads). Very dominant, he constantly drove away every young male and consequently the road kill ratio was abnormally high in that sector. I started the evening hunting on the other side but was chased away by the farmer's tractor making hay. On my way home, I stopped underway and decided to cast a look in the "forgotten corner" described above, as the weather was exceptionally fine. Along the edge of the woods, I immediately spotted a fawn, soon joined by its mother. I watched for about 30' and suddenly, the buck came out of the cover to walk straight to the first 2, crossing the high grass between us. I switched from binos to rifle, took a rest and dropped him at 150 m.

NB : the buck was covered by legions of ticks (visible on the neck)

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Taylor416
.300 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Central West, New South Wales....
Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: peter]
      #137898 - 24/06/09 07:36 PM

Love those Roebuck!!!! Can't wait to go again!

cheers
Chris

--------------------
Love to hunt!

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: Taylor416]
      #137899 - 24/06/09 08:25 PM

Nice condition animals Andre, plenty of good eating. Could have done without the ticks though, they make me shudder to see. Had to be wary of these in Germany as I was told they carried a disease fatal to humans (some form of meningitis I think).

We are really spoilt here in NZ, no snakes, ticks, spiders or other nasties while out hunting. Just throw the animal over our shoulders (if its not too heavy) and carry out. More likely to drown in a river or get hit by an avalanche when hunting the high country if we are not careful. Such is life.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: eagle27]
      #137906 - 24/06/09 10:25 PM

Great posts.

Ticks.

We have them in an abundance in the fall even as late as deer season in November. Normally we do not see many full, but lots crawling all over the belly and groin. We have lyme disease {some, not much} and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I contracted tick bite fever in Zululand many years ago and it was unpleasant.

Anyway, warm weather hunting has its challenges.

You guys have a great thing going there with the spring/summer roe deer season. We do not have such a thing, though we have now seen 4 whitetail bucks on the ranch here. Branch antlers already {in the velvet}, hopefully the wolves will leave some standing for the fall.

I see the dog there.

I am confident enough that my blood tracking proposal will be accepted that I am training a pup.

So far he does well on short tracks with deer, lamb and pig liver & blood. We have laid tracks in fine weather and rain, and on short grass and in high haygrass. Will keep working him and will collect some guts and such from lamb butchering here soon also. Then for more training in the mountains.

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (24/06/09 11:30 PM)

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #138531 - 06/07/09 04:56 AM

I got this roe buck weakling yesterday. Of course no trophy but we try to sort out the weak ones, which this buck obviously was. He even has some velvet on his small and thin horns, otherwise he looked healthy, no apparent sign of disease at internal organs.
The distance was about 20 meters, if bowhunting would be legal here that would have been the right range to whack him with a bow. I used my Mauser 98 in 9,3x62 with 285 grain Lapua Mega bullets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWJ7v-qpfb8

In the video You can see the impressive effect of a 9,3 bullet. Meat damage was minimal so I see no reason not to use the 9,3 for roe deer.

Kalunga

Fritz
.224 member

Reged: 13/04/03
Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: 93mouse]
      #138532 - 06/07/09 05:15 AM

Quote:

An old "Mörderbock" (killer buck) is alway good to bring down, and these old ones are hard to come close enough. BTW, nice bloodhound - is it a bavarian or a hanoveran one?

All the photos are great, and make the waiting for our roe buck season opening on the 16th of August long.

Fritz

Edited by Fritz (06/07/09 05:16 AM)

malco
.275 member

Reged: 11/02/09
Loc: montana, usa
Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: Fritz]
      #138544 - 06/07/09 03:01 PM

Certainly one of the more decisive kills I've seen--usually the stuff I shoot goes a few steps before reading the expiration date! Something to be said for big heavy bullets...By the way, I love the level of stock finish on your rifle--is it an oil finish with a nice low luster, or some other, more modern finish? Is the rifle an actual Mauser-marked gun, or an FN, Husky, or something else? Just curious.
Best,
Malcolm

André
.333 member

Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: Kalunga]
      #138551 - 06/07/09 07:53 PM

Well done Kalunga, Waidsmann's Heil. A misfit should always be given priority over even a "Kapital" buck, that's part of hunting ethics. A few seasons ago, I was ambushing a great 6-pointer far away and was waiting for him to close in. Then, this "thing" came out of nowhere. It was full rutting season and I wasn't going to let him procreate, so I dropped him. The big buck vanished and I didn't see him back for the rest of the season. Regrets ? Not really, it's part of being a responsible hunter and I'd do the same in the same circumstances.

--------------------
André
5 shots are a group.

Kalunga
.333 member

Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: malco]
      #138572 - 07/07/09 05:15 AM

Malco, thanks for Your comment. Concerning the stock finish of my Mauser, it is an oil finish based on linseed oil. This stuff was intended to be used for furniture and wooden floors but it works very well and is a lot cheaper than Truoil but basically the same thing.
The rifle was made on a Mauser 98 action but I cannot tell which kind and maker. I bought the rife used at egun and had a gunsmith do some work on it like the scope mounts, glass bedding and installing a Recknagel trigger and a new bolt handle. It shoots very well in the sub-MOA level.

Kalunga

Kalunga
.333 member

Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: André]
      #138573 - 07/07/09 05:18 AM

Andre, I totally agree with You. Hunting means not only trophy hunting but a lot more.
The buck on Your picture looks like he was in a bad condition. I would have taken him without hesitation too. How old was he about ?

Kalunga

André
.333 member

Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: Kalunga]
      #138610 - 07/07/09 05:21 PM

At first look, he may pass for a regular 4-pointer in his second year. However, comparing the wear of his teeth with the known standard of our territory, he should be aged about 4-5 at least. This is further confirmed by the size of the coronets which are touching, despite the small height of the antlers. Also, the animal was not in top condition with little fat around the kidneys.

--------------------
André
5 shots are a group.

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: Fritz]
      #138637 - 08/07/09 05:44 AM

Quote:

...is it a bavarian or a hanoveran one?
Fritz

It is a BgS (Bavarian).

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: 93mouse]
      #138648 - 08/07/09 10:53 AM

Waidmannsheil Kalunga!

Yes, the Lapua Mega should be a good one on light game up close. Small enough that the caliber counts, and needs little expansion. It is a relatively "hard" bullet.

As for racks, I think the oddballs have a lot of character, a value all their own. Good job.

Rod.

--------------------

peter
removed

#139035 - 15/07/09 05:44 PM

last day of the danish season, and i managed to woble out on a small stalk here at the farm(still got the busted knee)
this elderly gentleman has been giving me the runaround for a few years, but not any more

and thankfully this young man were with me, his mind is getting back in the game and he drug the buck home for me

so a nice morning all in all

best

peter

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11933

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com