Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 500 Nitro Project input!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
375RugerNo1
.275 member

Reged: 18/12/07
Loc: VA, USA
500 Nitro Project input!!
      #132468 - 16/04/09 09:39 AM

Here is the project I am looking at
I have my own thoughts on this project but as I have never owned a rifle in such a caliber/cartridge I am not really sure about the handling characteristics etc, hence I would like to hear your thoughts.
500 Nitro Express 3 Inch-
Ruger #1 action

I’d be interested to hear what the rest of the members think would make for a nice looking/good handling rifle.

1-Barrel length
-______ (fill in the blank).

2-Barrel shape
A-Round
B-Octagon

3-Barrel contour
A-heavy straight
B-heavy tapering
C-(or any other suggestion)

4-Iron sights
Front-
A-covered front sight bead
B-covered front sight blade
C-Uncovered front sight bead
D-Uncovered front sight blade
E-Other?
Rear-
A-NECG peep
B-standard V
C-Other?

5-Other suggestions.

Thanks!
Pat

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: 500 Nitro Project input!! [Re: 375RugerNo1]
      #132469 - 16/04/09 09:42 AM

Get your weight and balance right and she'll become a pussy cat to shoot.

375RugerNo1
.275 member

Re: 500 Nitro Project input!! [Re: 500Nitro]
      #132478 - 16/04/09 10:59 AM

Any suggestions as to the weight (how much the rifle should weigh, where the balance point should be etc.) would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Pat

500Nitro
.450 member

#132485 - 16/04/09 11:26 AM

Ruger No 1's are not my area of expertise.

I'll leave it to others but over 8 - 9lbs at a minimum.

I'll answer the other questions later.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #132499 - 16/04/09 01:20 PM

Quote:

Get your weight and balance right and she'll become a pussy cat to shoot.

Quote:

I'll leave it to others but over 8 - 9lbs at a minimum.

Full power loads are going to really get your attention in any 500NE weighing 8-9 pounds.
Unless your name is Will of course!

Minimum of 10lbs IMO.

alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
      #132503 - 16/04/09 01:45 PM

375RugerNo1,

As we speak I have the components on my bench to put one just like that together, a No.1 in 500NE 3".

As 500Nitro says, "Get your weight and balance right and she'll become a pussy cat to shoot".

My personal recommendations:

Barrel length - 24-26"

Barrel shape – Round

Barrel contour - reasonably heavy tapering, depending on the desired finished weight

Iron sights - Front- Uncovered front sight bead
Rear- Standard wide "V"

Weight - If it's going to be used mainly as a hunting rifle, 9-1/2 to 10 lbs.

At this weight, it will be quite manageable while getting to know it and to practice with, the weight concentration should be able to be made to be nicely "between the hands", and it should not be too heavy to carry all day when out hunting.

Getting the correct balance and feel is not always easy with a large calibre No.1, but it most certainly can be done! And if the correct "between the hands" weight distribution and balance combination is achieved, the rifle will feel "alive" and want to move, even at 10lbs. How-ever, if the right weight and balance combination is missed, the rifle will probably feel like a log of wood, dead and un-responsive.

If the rifle is to be mainly shot at the range how-ever, 11-1/2 or 12 lbs would allow you to shoot it for longer periods more pleasantly. Unfortunately though, at this weight it will probably feel rather muzzle heavy, a bit like the previously mentioned "log". But it will still be good fun to poke holes in paper and turn granite into gravel with

With a little thought and care, it will come out well.

I hope this helps

Good luck.

Alex

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #132507 - 16/04/09 02:19 PM

This is the way I'd do it if the project was mine.

Barrel length and shape.... 24" Round.

Barrel contour.... Heavy at chamber section, heavy taper down toward forward tip of fore-end, tapering from there down to light muzzle with a 100 to 120 thou wall thickness. Sling eye mounted on barrel.

Iron sights.... front- uncovered bead, rear- single standing shallow V with platinum line.

Other suggestions.... While total weight and overall balance are important, weight distribution and fit are more important in my book.

10 pounds is not too much to carry IMO.
I sometimes hunt all day in steep country carrying a 10 pound double.

Best of luck, and please keep us informed on your progress.

375RugerNo1
.275 member

Re: 500 Nitro Project input!! [Re: 4seventy]
      #132947 - 21/04/09 10:11 AM

Looking at a 26inch barrel measuring .80 inches at the muzzle. According to my smith that would give me around 10lbs. Nothing in stone just yet....still working on a nice cheap action!!!

Twist rate??
I'm assuming a reasonably fast one so that I can shoot some nice heavy chunks of copper or lead.

thoughts anyone?
thanks
Pat

alexbeer
.333 member

#132982 - 21/04/09 05:21 PM

Twist?

1:16, 1:18 or 1:20 will be fine. You won't notice any difference and I doubt anything you point it at will pick it either

Regards

Alex

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

alexbeer
.333 member

Re: 500 Nitro Project input!! [Re: 4seventy]
      #133156 - 22/04/09 09:13 PM

Quote:

Other suggestions.... While total weight and overall balance are important, weight distribution and fit are more important in my book.

Very valid point. Don't take this one lightly.

Regards

Alex

--------------------

Details matter!

375RugerNo1
.275 member

Re: 500 Nitro Project input!! [Re: alexbeer]
      #133372 - 24/04/09 08:49 PM

Does anyone have a particular brand of sights that they like? NECG has been recommended to me. They don't seem to offer a nice fixed V sight though.

They have two fixed rear sights that look pretty nice.
One is called a

Forward Slanting Fixed Rear Sight
Width: .708"---Length: .630"---Overall height: .630"

The other is called a

Straight Fixed Rear sight
Width: .708"---Length: .630"---Overall height: .630"

Why the slant vs straight?

Thanks
Pat

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #133374 - 24/04/09 09:38 PM

The sunlight hits the slanting one and makes it more visible under bad conditions, i think

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

alexbeer
.333 member

Re: 500 Nitro Project input!! [Re: 450_366]
      #133384 - 24/04/09 10:31 PM

Correct Andreas.

375RugerNo1, The NEGC is a nice rear sight, well made and quite readily available. The usual process is one physically "files" the sight in. i.e. shoot, and then carefully file the necessary adjustment into the rear sight. Shoot, file etc until the rifle is zeroed. The important thing is to go slow and don't try to take a heap out in one go, the rifle will always print too low if you take a lot off the sight at once (been there, done that ) When you file the sight in, you have 100% control of the end dimensions and the look of the "V" too. (Make sure to round off the outer “ears” after its zeroed, looks much better and less likely to catch up on things)

As to the forward slanting or the straight rear bar, it's a personal choice really. Some lean towards the forward slanting as it is better to see in poor or low light. Some may argue a forward slanting rear sight will glare in bright sunlight, but just about all rear sights will glare to some degree depending on the position of the sun at the time. As long as the sight face is well matted (bead blasted, file cut etc) this isn't as much of a bother as some would have you believe.

In good light the straight rear sight does give an excellent sight picture though.

My choice is defiantly the forward slanting version, cut to a wide shallow “V” (150 odd degrees) with a silver or platinum centre line. It may not be a great target sight, but I find it the best all-round hunting rear sight. They are quick to use, and even with an 80 to 100 thou bead fore-sight, ample accurate enough for me to pretty regularly bust clay targets at 80 odd yards off-hand. My main hunting rifles so equipped, and I can continue hunting well into the evening when the light is failing.

They are a practical and useful sight, although it may take a little getting used to if you are not familiar with them.

Best regards

Alex

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

Yukon577
.224 member

Reged: 11/03/08
Loc: Yukon Territory
      #133735 - 28/04/09 11:45 AM

I made one of these a few years back using a Ruger #1 action and chambered it to .500 3 1/4". It had a 24" heavy barrel and weighed 9.5lbs. and was too light for the loadings possible in that round. If you stuck to 570s at 2150 or so, it was great. I took some 650s up to higher velocities and the recoil was getting really harsh. It sure stopped animals in their tracks, but was past my comfort level to shoot much. If I did it again(and I might) I would make it a bit heavier likely using that same heavy contour but going to 26".
I used the NECG rear sight on a Ruger rib and a large NECG bead out front. The sights were great. The whole rifle was great and I regret having parted with it. I am sure you will enjoy your rifle.
I was very surprised by the accuracy I got from this big .50. It was one of the most accurate rifles I have ever used of any caliber.
Good luck, I hope your rifles shoots as well as mine did.

JAWZ
.224 member

Reged: 12/05/09
Loc: NSW , Sydney , Australia
Re: 500 Nitro Project input!! [Re: Yukon577]
      #135285 - 13/05/09 08:55 PM

I have a 500 ne in a ruger no1 it was made for me buy kudu services in Victoria Australia. It has a custom 1/4 rib and single rear leaf with a moon sight all on top of a walther barrel. The gun shoots very well and is regulated for the 570gr woodliegh projectile. I will post some photos if you are interested.

Andrew

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: 500 Nitro Project input!! [Re: 450_366]
      #135300 - 13/05/09 11:06 PM

Quote:

The sunlight hits the slanting one and makes it more visible under bad conditions, i think

A sight at a slant catches te light at the same angle reagrdless of where the sun is.

Same reason we file the round brass beads on the front
of rifles on an angle.

This way the sight picture stays the same as the light reflects the same.

A round bead, the sight picture "looks" the same to you but inreality, it is slightly different.

375RugerNo1
.275 member

#135361 - 14/05/09 01:26 PM

Pictures are always wonderful JAWZ I'd love to see some! I ended up finding a hard to pass up deal so I should have a base gun here in a little! Also, thank you 500Nitro!
I'll try to post pictures when it arrives.

thanks
Pat

375RugerNo1
.275 member

#136018 - 23/05/09 11:44 PM

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=136015&page=0&vc=1#Post136015

alexbeer
.333 member

#138433 - 04/07/09 05:31 PM

Quote:

My choice is defiantly the forward slanting version, cut to a wide shallow “V” (150 odd degrees) with a silver or platinum centre line. It may not be a great target sight, but I find it the best all-round hunting rear sight. They are quick to use, and even with an 80 to 100 thou bead fore-sight, ample accurate enough for me to pretty regularly bust clay targets at 80 odd yards off-hand. My main hunting rifles so equipped, and I can continue hunting well into the evening when the light is failing.

They are a practical and useful sight, although it may take a little getting used to if you are not familiar with them.

Just a quick re-visit to this thread re 500NE No.1's and express sights. Yesterday I filed the sight leaves in on a customers 500NE 3" we are building for him on a Ruger No.1.

The end result, with a wide "V" rear and a 2.5mm (100 thou)gold bead fore-sight as follows

50 yards

100 yards

The target is 3" square
The load is written on the targets as follows

Bertram Case
Federal 215 Primer
106 grains A.D.I. AR2209
570 grain Woodleigh RSN
2100 fps - 26" barrel

Who says express sights are not accurate

As usual, this load was worked up in this rifle, start lower and work up etc.

Sorry to those who want more photos of the rifle, customer says no as he wants to do a story on it himself. And I will definatly respect that.

Regards all

Alex

Oh, by the way, the rifle weighs in at 9-1/4 lbs, a bit lively but not painful

aexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #138438 - 04/07/09 08:41 PM

Alex,

Beautiful work, and good steady shooting. Especially at 9-1/4 lbs. I believe I would balance it out with lead in the butt and forend to get another pound of weight.

Please have your customer post photos and his report here on NE.com.

Best,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

alexbeer
.333 member

Re: 500 Nitro Project input!! [Re: CptCurl]
      #138446 - 04/07/09 10:09 PM

Thanks Curl.

I wonder if this rifle is destined to be carried a lot of miles in the tropics. It would be perfect for that.

At this lighter weight though, it actually handles really well, it is neither muzzle nor butt heavy, the weight concentration is nicely between the hands, like it's supposed to be, and the stock length and drop etc is very close to how I'd fit it for myself. This all certainly assists when shooting this rifle. As I said previously, it’s a bit lively but it’s not painful. Quite tickled with how well it shoots too just quietly.

For one seasoned to a bit of recoil, shooting one, two or possibly three shots at a time, especially at game should pose no dis-comfort at all, although I wouldn't like to sit down and rip off twenty or so in a short period from the bench. I don't think the body should be abused by all the aspirin one might need after that sort of session

All the best

Alex

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5752

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com