Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: grandveneur]
      #129873 - 18/03/09 12:51 AM

Quote:

Not on big elk's and bear's! 7mm RM is not a allroud caliber,

Not so my friend. I live in elk territory and I can tell you the 7RM is ideal for an all around cartridge. It will handle deer/elk/moose quite nicely and I would not hesitate to use it on a big bear.

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: WyoJoe]
      #129874 - 18/03/09 12:54 AM

" I have no problem with 500-pound rifles."
i think i'd need a few gunbearers for that!

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: rscott]
      #129878 - 18/03/09 01:30 AM

Quote:

" I have no problem with 500-pound rifles."
i think i'd need a few gunbearers for that!

Typo fixed!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: alexbeer]
      #129882 - 18/03/09 02:49 AM

Hello! I hope we respond to your question! You have the choice between rifles in caliber 22LR to 600NE!

Bestboss
.224 member

Reged: 21/10/08
Loc: Michigan, USA
      #129904 - 18/03/09 07:39 AM

Your question is really easy for me. I could select my 300 Win Mag in a Browning Safari (Belgian), or one of the Weatherbys. The 7mm Wby MKV comes immediately to mind. They are both very accurate and have that little bit of punch that the 308 class of rifles seems to lack. Bullet selection is something to think about.
For those concerned about these rifles lacking the "big bear" stopping power, I guess you have to work with what works for you. I realize the 458 I seldom shoot would work well for the bears, but little else on this continent. And the handling characteristics of that heavy rifle do not impress me as something I would want to carry all day on a hunt.
Larry

alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
      #129908 - 18/03/09 09:05 AM

Thank you to everyone that has responded so far. Good comments and good cartridges too.

My personal choice would be either my 30-06 or my 375 H&H (I know, I said ONE rifle, but who here could have just one )

Well, after reading all your posts, I am now absolutely positivly, most definatly and 100% sure..... that I'm still wondering what calibre to build There are many great calibers out there to choose from.

I guess, seeing that most people seem to hunt the deer size game more often and don't hunt the bigger bears all that much, if I narrowed the choice down to either 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag (or their ballistic equals) I'd be pretty much right.

Great comments though, please keep going, always interesting to see what others are using and why.

All the best

ALEX

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: 9.3x57]
      #129920 - 18/03/09 12:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd be up for that---how far is that dang range from the gate???

Not far, about 1/2 mile.

The point I'm making is it would be interesting to see what the One-Shot Groups would be for a fairly large number of hunters. My range is a gully where the shooting points are either set-ups or the sort-of uncomfortable spots that seem to drive a guy crazy in the field.

As you know, trigger squeeze is always easiest when the trigger is a keyboard or the shot that hits the killzone is number 4 of a five-shot group. Lots of fellows can shoot very well indeed, lots more are willing to take shots that are outside their shooting limitations.

And the biggest group of all from what I've seen at public ranges are those who have no idea what their limitations are but are willing to shoot anyway.

This is what bugs me about American gun magazines. The gun writers drone on and on about the performance capabilities of rifles when the tools are not at all the limiting factors in the field or at least rarely are. Wind estimation, conditioning, familiarization with field positions and pure shooting skill are. A 500-yard rifle doesn't make a 500-yard shooter. I have no problem with 500-yard rifles.

I can't really make a recommendation of what caliber is best for somebody else. Ballisitcally-speaking, every caliber named so far in this thread will do the job asked. Whether we hunters can is another story entirely.

We are really awash in superb calibers and rifles these days. Amazingly so. It is actually hard to pick a BAD caliber for the critters listed!

Just wanted to post I agree with everything you said here...from the first word to the last---especially when it comes to how some people shoot, practice, etc...as you stated...

See guys out at the range the day before season, set up a 5 gallon bucket at 100 yards--shoot at hit..if they hit it they are good to go and that's that....WOW...

As to your comment of the 1/2 mile to the gate...at least 50 to 60% of the characters I see at the range couldn't run 1/2 that distance before they would be entirely out of wind...which is fine..if your good with it so am I ---just saying....

In regards to the long distance---more often that not, there is a lot of blue sky in the distance claimed versus reality...there are numerous times that my partners and I will be sitting on a hill glassing for game and we'll have a contest of guessing how far the next hill is or whatever...and after hunting in the mountains for 30 years--there are still quite a few guesses where a guy is off by a substantial distance when checked with the Leica rangefinder...

The magazines do promote a lot of BS as well...as suggested many times--its whoever is paying the most advertising $$ that gets the most press...guess of most of this thread my feeling is like the old saying--"Don't tell me, show me"...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: WyoJoe]
      #129932 - 18/03/09 04:13 PM

A 9.3x64 like the one a friend is having made would be a good option as an "all round" design for any game, although a little over kill on light Deer and Antelope.

thorshammer
.300 member

Reged: 27/12/08
Loc: USA
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: ozhunter]
      #129935 - 18/03/09 06:28 PM

How about a 264 winchester magnum

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: thorshammer]
      #129936 - 18/03/09 07:54 PM

Thats a pretty rifle Ozhunter best, Mike

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #129940 - 18/03/09 09:16 PM

Maybe just with a little bit more drop at comb but otherwise a fine compromise between irons (made higher for combined use with a scope. (depends on one's face/cheek and neck dims too)

JohnWilkes
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/09
Loc: SA
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: kamilaroi]
      #131768 - 08/04/09 10:43 AM

9.3x62 good old workhorse for me.

BTW that looks like a beauty Ozhunter who is doing the build if I might be so bold?

--------------------
Horses for courses
Guns for game
Hounds for grounds

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: JohnWilkes]
      #131792 - 08/04/09 04:18 PM

The same fella who's doing my 404 Jeffrey. (and a few more)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12442

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com