Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Nosler Partition expansion?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Nosler Partition expansion?
      #130812 - 30/03/09 01:37 AM

Hello Folks,

A couple of weeks ago I wrote to Nosler and asked this question, but they didn't answer. I'm considering using the 150 gr Nosler Partition in a T/C Contender at a muzzle velocity of 1850 fps. The game will be wild hogs. At what terminal velocity will it reliably expand?

The alternatives are the 150 gr Sierra 30-30 bullet, or the 125 gr spitzers from Sierra or Nosler.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Nosler Partition expansion? [Re: Tatume]
      #130843 - 30/03/09 02:43 AM

Tom
while I don't know how low of velocity will still open the partition, I would think that bullet on hogs would work very well...and would actually choose it over the Sierra, based on past experience..at least for hogs....

Hogs are a tough customer, shot a Warthog directly in the chest with a 400 gr A-Frame--bullet went into the chest and come to rest just below the tail on the other end..still ran about 50 yards before tipping over...

thx
Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
      #131153 - 02/04/09 03:25 AM

I bet that NP will work VERY well at that velocity, expecially on hogs... NP's are known for there ability to give some expansion at lower velocities, and give excelent penetration at high velocities...

DM

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Nosler Partition expansion? [Re: DM]
      #131231 - 02/04/09 09:40 PM

Quote:

I bet that NP will work VERY well at that velocity, expecially on hogs... NP's are known for their ability to give some expansion at lower velocities, and give excelent penetration at high velocities...DM

That's my thought too, but I want to know before I use them. I'm planning to do some penetration/expansion testing at 50 & 100 yards this spring. My test medium is tightly bound bundles of phone books that are soaked overnight in water.

By the way, I've done testing on the 165 and 180 gr partitions side by side with Sierra flat-based bullets of the same weight, using a 30-06 rifle at fifty yards. Performance was identical. But, I expect the Partitions may out perform the Sierra bullets at reduced velocity, as I've read that the forward section is very soft. We shall see.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #131238 - 02/04/09 11:27 PM

Tom:

What caliber Contender?

I have not spoken to Nosler about that specific bullet, but in-general, Hornady and Speer on many occaisions have told me the threshold for expansion is roughly 1800 fps on most of their bullets. I'm guessing Nosler is the same.

As you know, I have shot fairly extensive tests on a variety of bullets over the years and my view is that the Partition will probably open up somewhat. The front end is not "hard" per se. Assuming short range striking velocities of 1700-1800 you'll probably get it to open if it hits any resistant medium {bone, cartilage, etc}.

Having said that, I have seen strange things happen to bullets at the lower threshold of their expansion parameters. Problem is, at the lower velocities, bullets become somewhat unpredictable. That is no baloney. The 150 Nosler, even if it doesn't open at all, will still act as a spitzer solid, which is to say it will punch a hole and probably veer off to some unpredictable amount, or maybe go straight.

On heavy game at low velocity {as in shot from a T/C Contender or for example, a .303 Savage}, for interest's sake I would go with a heavy bullet and then trick the tip IF start speeds could be had that would be in excess of 1700 fps. I am thinking something like a 180 grain Hornady RN or even a 180 Spire Point, with a Hollow Point/Flat Point added. Such a point would reduce the weight of the bullet by 4 or 5 grains. Another option would be the 170 grain Hornady Flat Point as used in .30-30. Making modifications to bullets is easy and can/will alter the performance to a significant degree. The beauty is, you can set up a test and then make your bullets do exactly what you want them to do.

The 150 FP you cite is another good example.

Not to be ignored are the various 125's, too. I have killed a number of deer, coyotes, dogs and butcher sheep with the 7.62x39 with 125's & 123's and they are killers at the 2350-2400 fps velocities of the AK. Some "harumph" and roll their eyes at the 7.62x39, but frankly, it represents in my opinion a superbly-designed cartridge for game in the 50-250 lb class as long as long raking shots are avoided. I've used FMJ's, Wolf HP's, and the excellent 123 grain Remington Power Points.

Finally, whatever medium/media test you use, make sure to shoot your desired bullet against a control or two. Expansion tests don't reveal anything of value unless you can compare the results of the unknown bullet to the results of a known performer. I would think for your purposes a really good control would be a .30-30 carbine with factory ammo and shooting the same bullet you intend to use in your T/C.

Everybody has spare pocket change. This is just $.02 from mine...

{PS: My initial inclination was to use the 150 Wolf bullet for deer hunting in my 7.62. It was rolled out sort-of as a "deer load" so I about took it and ranwith it. Then I started reading reports on Forums of poor expansion, the bullet acting as a FMJ. I never even tested it, but rather used the 123/125 bullets, tested them, was impressed, and went with them. No complaints at all.}

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (02/04/09 11:30 PM)

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Nosler Partition expansion? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #131251 - 03/04/09 02:13 AM

Quote:

Tom: What caliber Contender?

Sorry, the cartridge is 30 Herrett and the barrel is 10 inches. Most people seem to like the 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2150 fps, and I've tested that one already. In my medium at 50 yards it penetrates 18 inches and expands beautifully. Maybe I shouldn't ask for more from a 10-inch handgun?

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

9.3x57
.450 member

#131257 - 03/04/09 02:28 AM

Tom:

What does some other caliber do in your test medium?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Tatume
.400 member

#131272 - 03/04/09 05:01 AM

Quote:

Tom: What does some other caliber do in your test medium?

452 Caliber Revolver, 320 gr LBT LFNGC wheelweight cast bullets
1400 fps, water dropped, 30 inches penetration, no deformation
1400 fps, air cooled, 26 inches penetration, slight mushroom

308 Caliber Rifle, all perfect mushrooms
220 gr Sierra, 2668 fps, 26” penetration
200 gr Sierra, 2777 fps, 36” penetration
180 gr Sierra, 2793 fps, 36” penetration
180 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 2695 fps, 26” penetration
165 gr Nosler Partition, 3096 fps, 34” penetration
125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 2150 fps, 14” penetration (10" handgun)

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

9.3x57
.450 member

#131314 - 03/04/09 12:20 PM

Gotcha.

Curious, is 2150 the max velcity of the 125 in the Herrett?

How fast could you drive a 170 FP?

--------------------

Tatume
.400 member

#131342 - 03/04/09 10:29 PM

Yes, 2150 is the best I've been able to do with the 10" Contender. I doubt I could get much out of a 170 gr bullet in this chambering.

I do use the 170 gr Speer 30-30 bullet in the 14" 309 JDJ barrel I have, as it attains 30-30 rifle speeds. The problem is, I'm not happy toting a 14" Contender. I've tried several times to trade the 14" SSK barrel for an appropriate 10" barrel, but no takers. I also thought about having it cut and re-crowned, but I really don't believe 10" is enough to work well with the 444 Marlin case.

Right now Mike Bellm has my 10" 32 H&R Mag barrel and will re-chamber it to 30 Bellm. This cartridge, using the 7mm BR case with the shoulder moved forward, should offer a slight increase in speed over the 30 Herrett. It won't be much though. My real reason for having the work done was to make a useful barrel out of the anemic 32 H&R barrel.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

9.3x57
.450 member

#131344 - 03/04/09 11:05 PM

I understand.

Interesting challenge the Herrett presents.

BTW: That .32 is a great cartridge in a small handgun {I LOVE the performance of ".30-.32" cal handguns for general woods wandering/small game shooting/trapping/dog shooting/butcher stock shooting}, but I can see why you wouldn't want such a thing in the T/C.

{My ".30" is the 7.62x25.}

You are locked into a really interesting project, probably working at the maximum performance level for the .30 Herrett; pigs. Maybe pushing it a little?

Back to the Partition; I am going to guess you could test it in your medium, then if you want a wee bit more reliable opening, trick the bullet tip a bit. I think easy job, problem solved. Whether it has the "Ummph" {technical term... } to reliably anchor a large hog, not sure.

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (03/04/09 11:08 PM)

Tatume
.400 member

#131381 - 04/04/09 05:32 AM

Quote:

Whether it has the "Ummph" {technical term...} to reliably anchor a large hog, not sure.

As a meat hunter, I pass on the large ones. I've never killed one over 200 lbs, and usually stay at about 150. Hogs this size are "soft" and easy to penetrate. The skin is very thin, and the gristle plate hasn't developed much.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Tatume
.400 member

#131388 - 04/04/09 07:13 AM

Also, it occurs to me that the 130 gr Barnes X-bullet might be a candidate.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Tatume
.400 member

#131489 - 05/04/09 03:53 AM

Quote:

Yes, 2150 is the best I've been able to do with the 10" Contender.

I was checking my notebook for something else, and noticed that I misquoted myself. The 125 gr bullet in the 30 Herrett is making 2250 fps.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Tatume
.400 member

#135506 - 17/05/09 03:08 AM

Hello Folks,

This spring I’ve been doing a lot of load development with my 10-inch Contender in 30 Herrett, and think I have it worked out. Nosler never did answer my question about the 150-gr Partition bullets, but I found that the 150-gr Ballistic Tip bullets are claimed to expand well down to 1600 fps (Nosler loading manual). The only Sierra bullets that will open at this slow speed are the 30-30 bullets, and they lose speed too quickly. So, the Ballistic Tip is my bullet.

Previously I had been working with 2400, but it turned out to be a little too fast for my needs. IMR-4198 is working well for me though. My somewhat arbitrary goal was to maintain 1000 ft lb energy downrange. My load, with an average muzzle velocity of 1938 fps, does that out to 125 yards, and has 1690 fps and 951 ft lb at 150 yards. Sighted in one inch high at 50 yards, it’s one inch high at 100 yards, zero at 125 yards, and less than two inches low at 150 yards. I’m satisfied with the ballistics.

As an interesting side note, I used to use IMR-4198 and H4198 interchangeably. H4198 will not burn in this cartridge. It will only produce 1000 fps, and large amounts of golden colored, unburned powder remain in the case. I use both of these powders in the 6 mm PPC, and never noticed a difference.

Take care, Tom

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
      #139020 - 15/07/09 12:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I bet that NP will work VERY well at that velocity, expecially on hogs... NP's are known for their ability to give some expansion at lower velocities, and give excelent penetration at high velocities...DM

That's my thought too, but I want to know before I use them. I'm planning to do some penetration/expansion testing at 50 & 100 yards this spring. My test medium is tightly bound bundles of phone books that are soaked overnight in water.

By the way, I've done testing on the 165 and 180 gr partitions side by side with Sierra flat-based bullets of the same weight, using a 30-06 rifle at fifty yards. Performance was identical. But, I expect the Partitions may out perform the Sierra bullets at reduced velocity, as I've read that the forward section is very soft. We shall see.

I assume you found "identical performance" (NP's vs Sierra) on phone books??? I ask that, as i've used both on big game, and there sure as hell was a difference there!

DM

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Nosler Partition expansion? [Re: DM]
      #139038 - 15/07/09 09:15 PM

Quote:

I assume you found "identical performance" (NP's vs Sierra) on phone books? I ask that, as I've used both on big game, and there sure as hell was a difference there!

I’m not a fan of extremely high speed in hunting bullets. At very high terminal speed, premium bullets tend to hold together better than cup-and-core bullets. At the speeds for which they were designed, plain bullets do very well. The old Remington Core-Lokt is a good example, and Sierra bullets are another.

That said, I still like to experiment with premium bullets. In the Ruger #1 RSI (270 Win) I was unable to get Nosler Partition bullets to shoot with sufficient accuracy. I happened to have some 130 gr Speer Grand Slam bullets, and was surprised to find that they shot with accuracy equal to Sierra bullets of the same weight.

The 30 Herrett, 10-inch Contender pistol will never be terribly hard on bullets, as it just cannot generate the speed. I finally settled on 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets, as they gave the accuracy I need, and Nosler claims they will expand down to 1600 fps. Sierra bullets are too "hard" for this application, and would probably fail to open.

I’ve shot a lot of game with Sierra bullets, and have never had a failure to kill cleanly.

BallisticBRYAN
.224 member

Reged: 31/03/04
Loc: To the left of my printer(USA)
      #143746 - 15/10/09 09:28 AM

RIGHT FROM THE HORSES'S MOUTH

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1347

Partition:
Minimum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- 1800 fps
Maximum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- N/A

Ballistic Tip:
Minimum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- 1600 fps
Maximum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- 3000 fps

AccuBond:
Minimum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- 1800 fps
Maximum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- N/A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5646

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com