Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hansol's Slug Gun Project

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Yogi000
.333 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: New York, USA
Re: Hansol's Slug Gun Project [Re: hansol]
      #133293 - 24/04/09 01:46 AM

I'd like to see the comparison with a .715 - .725 round ball, molded up with WheelWeights (or equiv), hardened, and shooting it at 1600 to 1800 PLUS muzzle velocity.

Not a grizzly that would like that much at 20 yards.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Hansol's Slug Gun Project [Re: Yogi000]
      #133305 - 24/04/09 05:23 AM

Hmmm - I have both sizes, plus .684" which I used in my initial tests in the double barreled smooth rifle. "Smooth Rifle" is the American 'moniker' used to define a smooth bore with both sights & dates back to flintlock days & forward, starting in the early 1800's.

Any of these sized hard cast balls even down to a 16 bore ball of 440gr. driving at only 1,300fps will suffice for such bears at that range. Smokeless loads at 1,500fps have minor recoil & are easily obtained in smoothbores with slightly heavier than Trap loads using powders such as SR4756, SR7625, Herco, Unique, etc. Mathc shot weight to ball weight for starting loads and carry on as if loading for a rifle - small increments at a time. While a chronograph isn't absolutely necessary, it is advisable, particuarly today with them being so innexpensive.

I already have 2 3/4" loads made up with .725's and Herco - just need to get out and test them.

These tests should also include the sabot Lyman bullet which shows good penetration and exceptional accuracy. It measures .68something and fits perfectly in a red WW field wad, WAA12R, I think. In WW metal as mailed tome by friend Karl in Alberta, it weighs 506gr. In pure lead, they are supposed to be 525gr. A .684" pure lead ball weighs 484gr. and in WW weighs 466gr. 1 1/4oz. is 545gr. The WW .725's (mould actually casts .722") weigh 585gr., which is 1 3/8oz.

I suggest, with that size ball, one start with the highest velocity shown with the lowest pressure powder listed in Lyman's shot loads, then raise the powder by 1gr. increments until pressure signs show - extruding primers, excessively flattened primers, sticky extraction, seemingly too-high velocities for short cases. I'd use plastic cases with integral base wads, not cases with inserted base wads, which can be blown from the case and perhaps lodge in the bore. That will form an obstruction for the next shot if not cleared. Same goes for 3" or 3 1/2" loads. The 3 1/2" case can actually obtain over 2,000fps with the Lyman slug in rifled or smoothbores - I expect the recoil might be memorable. I'll stick with 2 3/4" loads, but will make up some 3 1/2" for a friend to test for me - HA! These will be for a Mossy pump with rifled bore. Reports of 2" and less groups with that bullet from a rifled bore (50 yards)

With any smoothbore (muzzleloaders included), it appears the higher the muzzle velocity, the longer the range before they spin off as a curve ball does(trumpet-shaped flight). My own double managed descent groups at 100 meters( 8 to 10" ) showing for deer sized targets, the max shooting range might be 90yards. The Lyman slugs promise slightly better results. I'm quite excited about their testing in both my smooth slug gun and the rifled one as well.

As to the trumpet-shaped flight, I've seen this myself through binocs - really something to witness, the ball headed straight at the target, only to vere off to the side, missing by 2 feet on a 92 yard target. This was a light load in a 20 bore round ball, smooth - with a light, 2 3/8 dram charge - perhaps 900fps to 1,000fps. Everyball doesn't do this, only the odd one, with others impacting just a big low, some high, some to one side or the other, some on-target with perfect flight. Fun to watch when the light is right. High velocity loads seemed to shoot straight with hardly a miss over many shots. This shows a trend not to be dismissed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

hansol
.224 member

Reged: 15/08/08
Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: Hansol's Slug Gun Project [Re: DarylS]
      #133317 - 24/04/09 06:21 AM

If I could push the slugs faster I would, but without a chronograph, my posted velocities are just approximations. They could be going faster or slower, so take it for what it's worth. I think I will use some of my guide money this year to buy one of those suckers, and get some real velocities published.

As for 1600-1800 fps, I would love to hit that marker, but I don't know if it is possible to obtain within the specified 11500psi SAAMI specs for a standard 12 gauge shotgun load. Using black powder might make it possible, but even then I think the loads are sitting at just under 1600fps and topping out near max pressures.

DarylS
.700 member

#133327 - 24/04/09 09:47 AM

hansol- you will not like to shoot a load of BP that runs that ball up that high. Even 1,500fps to 1,550fps, takes 7 drams - a full 191gr. of 2F - not 1f, which gives lower speeds. Smokeless powders in the 7625 and 4756 range meet that speed easily and with low pressures - 1/2 the recoil - I figured.

You might get up to 1,700fps with about 240gr. of 2F - but would require a 3" case to do it - probably, as there must be room for requite wads for sealing and to help with accuracy.

--------------------
Daryl

hansol
.224 member

#133334 - 24/04/09 10:21 AM

Hey Daryl,

Thanks for the input on the powders. So far I've only messed around with Blue Dot powder, as I was fairly new to shotgun reloading. I think now that I know my loads work, it would certainly be worth messing around with other smokeless loads, as I would love to have those 580 grain slugs going 1600fps. That would be a dinosaur load for sure.

Yogi000
.333 member

#133392 - 24/04/09 11:48 PM

hansol---you can ALSO buy the big brenneke slugs. The Brenneke SL-123BMM, 12 Gauge, 3 in, 1 3/8 oz, Black Magic Slug scoots at 1500+ fps!! For Rifled and Smoothbore Barrels. If you can get the 1 and 3/8 OZ Brenneke to speed along at 1500 fps you can get a round ball to 1600 fps.

I used the "Ballistic Products" Slug manual to develop some loads that were above 1500 fps and I'm sure you can to! Unfortunately I do not have that manual on me now but you can call Ballistic Products and ask them what load will get over 1500 fps using THEIR .715 round balls, and of course when you buy 25 of their .715 round balls I would assume they would provide you with the recipefor free... or of course you can always just buy their Slug Loading Manual and get that info there too. There are alot of slugs loads out there with speeds up above 1500 fps. And they don't kick that bad at all using modern powders.

However I'm with Daryl on this one. A WW round ball in .715 - .725 diameter would be confident medicine aganist a grizzly at 20 yards with muzzle velocity above 1200 fps. Sure 1500 to 1600 would make the INSURANCE company feel better but that was what I though the second barrel was for? (hahahahaaa!)

Yogi000
.333 member

#133393 - 25/04/09 12:10 AM

Here is the link for Hodgdon powders for loading 1 ounce round ball slugs using ONLY the 2 and 3/4 inch shell. the top load is for 1550 fps using Universal Powder.

http://data.hodgdon.com/shotshell_load.asp

Enjoy!

I know with a 3 inch shell you can get a variety of loads/ powders that will get you that magical "over 1500 fps" with a round ball payload. And, again, from past experience the recoil was not that bad at all.

Here is a 3 incher load I got off the hercules website using 46 grains of BLUE DOT powder: 1 3/8 ounce load will get you a velocity of 1,564 fps, using Fed 209A, 10,700 pressure... I'd just visit some of these powder websites to get you some loads.

Edited by Yogi000 (25/04/09 12:23 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#133395 - 25/04/09 12:31 AM

Mind your wads, Gentlemen. The do make a difference - always start low and 'work up' or 'work down' the load dependent on pressure signs.

Longshot is another powder that should work well for RB loads.

--------------------
Daryl

hansol
.224 member

#151649 - 24/01/10 12:00 PM

Hey all,

Yes, I'm still alive, and yes, I still have all my fingers. So nobody needs to speculate as to if my shotgun project blew up in my face and turned me into a drooling one-eyed pirate...

Anyways, on to more important things. Today was an excellent day. I finally scrounged a chronograph, and have some concrete data for my loads. I also had a chance to try out another "test" load based on a load from the "12 gauge from Hell" designer Ed Hubel.

So here we are:

Blue Dot load average: 1385fps.

Now onto my other load. I came upon data for black powder loads for old bore rifles, and decided I would stop being a girl and load some up. So I settled on 175grs of Pyrodex behind a .730 round ball of approx 550gr weight, mostly because that was all I could fit into a 3" hull. The math said that this should run at around 1550fps, with around 9750psi.

Black powder load average: 1450.

A note on this load: Holy **** does it recoil like a bugger. I think it's true that a guy can get the same velocities with smokeless powder, but with less recoil. This will kick the crap out of you and your gun, so make sure the stock section is reinforced or it might get exciting.

Also note that this black powder load isn't crimped: Just take a previously fired 3" hull, stuff it full of powder, seat a fiber wad, then the round ball. Use a dab of white glue to keep everything in place. A 3" crimped round isn't long enough to hold all that ball and powder, so I had to make due with this. It worked, but it isn't pretty. Eventually I will track down some 3" brass hulls and make those work instead.

Lastly, I made up some loads using my copper slugs in front of 62 grains of IMR 4759. Unfortunately, during testing these out, we were snowed out, and the chronograph wouldn't register any velocities (the photoreceptors were covered in snow previously, then fogged up after cleaning, and it still was blizzarding, so that was the end of that.) At the very least though, this load didn't blow me up, so at least I know that much. I'll post the results next time I'm out.

The math regarding the above round is based on Ed Hubel's load of 65 gr IMR 4759 behind a 600gr slug @ 11800psi for 1650fps. THIS IS OVER PRESSURE BASED ON SAAMI SPECS REMEMBER My load is slightly less with regards to slug weight and powder weight, so it's speculation at this point. Like I said, I didn't blow up, and there was no tough extracting, so it looks promising.

THESE LOADS ARE SAFE IN MY GUN. I DON'T RECOMMEND ANYONE ELSE USE THEM WITHOUT WORKING UP SAFELY. USE CAUTION ETC. AND REMEMBER NO CHOKES.

Black Powder Load:

Fed 3" Paper Base Wad Hull
Win 209 Primer
175 grains Pyrodex
Fiber Wad
550gr .730 round ball.
"Touch-of-white-glue" crimp
1450fps @ 9800psi

IMR 4759 Load
Fed 3" Hull
Win 209 Primer
62gr IMR 4759
WAA12 Hull
580 Grain Copper Slug.
Estimated around 1480ish @ 10800psi. NOT CONFIRMED, BE CAUTIOUS

*AUTHORS NOTE: I just want to repeat here that I do these tests and report these velocities for myself only, and to inform others. I don't recommend that others follow in my path, as none of these loads are pressure tested, and are at best scientific speculation. I still have all my fingers and have had no accidents, so in my book that counts for something. But always remember to be safe, that these loads are tested in my gun and my gun only, and while I list these things for academic study only, you use this information at your own risk.

Anyways, I apologize for the legal nonsense, but there are always "those" people out there... Cheers!!

DarylS
.700 member

#151692 - 25/01/10 04:29 AM

Hansol - I won't use the phoney 'black' powders that contain chlorates. I use only real black powder.

--------------------
Daryl

hansol
.224 member

#151779 - 25/01/10 04:38 PM

Daryl,

I certainly would use the real black powder if I could get my hands on it. Unfortunately there is only one carrier of the stuff in my neck of the woods, and he only gets shipments in intermitantly. So I'm unforunately stuck using Pyrodex.

Dono
.224 member

Reged: 11/07/09
Loc: Tas Australia
      #152075 - 28/01/10 11:01 AM

Hi Hansol here in Tas years ago we had trouble getting slugs, We used to open up a shell and take out most of the shot[we use 3s on wallaby] we would then pour hot wax in a little at a time slowly replacing all the shot then recrimp .These work very well you may be able to use this idea to center your slugs and hold it to the wad.

--------------------
I love the smell of burnt powder in the morning

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Hansol's Slug Gun Project [Re: Dono]
      #152076 - 28/01/10 11:53 AM

I adjust the wad column to allow a standard folded crimp over the ball.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#152116 - 29/01/10 05:04 AM

Fed 3" Paper Base Wad Hull
Win 209 Primer
175 grains Pyrodex
Fiber Wad
550gr .730 round ball.
"Touch-of-white-glue" crimp
1450fps @ 9800psi

Balls must be harder than pure lead to be that light. a .715" pure lead ball weighs 545gr., normally. My chart lists .730" pure lead ball as weighing 583.3gr. - difference not important, just an observation.

My black powder load of 7 drams 2F (191gr.) fit inside a 2 3/4" plastic hull along with the base wad off a AA trap wad-w/fingers cut off - one cup-down on powder, one sup-up under ball, then taper crimped. - Fed Magic hull IIRC.
different hulls have different capacities. Some are straight sided inside, while others have tapered thickness sides.

--------------------
Daryl

hansol
.224 member

#152205 - 30/01/10 09:41 AM

Dono,

That wax idea of yours should work great! A lot less redneck than the "touch of white glue" crimp haha.

Daryl,

You could certainly be correct on the ball weight. All I know is they weigh less than the copper slugs when I weigh them out side by side. These days I am using old lead sheeting (originally used as sound insulation) with a bit of silver solder mixed in. It isn't an exact metalurgical science at this point, but it's the best I can do.

Regarding your black powder load, do you think it is possible that pure black powder is less "dense" than the pyrdodex, and that is why you can fit 191 grains into your hull? The most I could fit inside a 2 3/4 hull (federal) was around 150gr, with a fiber wad and the ball sitting on top of that, with the glue crimp. I'm not doubting you, (like you said, just an observation) but I suppose the best thing I can do is track down some 2f black and see how the two powders compare.

DarylS
.700 member

#157254 - 24/03/10 06:27 AM

Pyrodex is less dense (lower specific gravity) than BP - to the tune of roughly 20%. That means the same quantity (volume) of Pyrodex weighs 20% less than the black powder. Pyrodex also contains 17% chlorates by volume.

--------------------
Daryl

Tallchief
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/09
Loc: Colorado,USA
      #172758 - 07/12/10 12:58 PM

Daryl et al,has anyone done similar testing with a 20 gauge SxS?

9dot3x74R
.275 member

Reged: 11/02/10
Loc: Tasmania
Re: Hansol's Slug Gun Project [Re: Tallchief]
      #172764 - 07/12/10 08:06 PM

Quote:

Daryl et al,has anyone done similar testing with a 20 gauge SxS?

or a 16 bore? I have a little greener double that might make a nice ball gun if I add some sights.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Hansol's Slug Gun Project [Re: 9dot3x74R]
      #172776 - 08/12/10 02:34 AM

I know some of the guys have loaded up smokeless or black powder (me included) in 12's with round balls to carry along for moose when we're duck hunting - stranger things have happened. Go duck hunting and come home with 700 pounds of real meat.

Some of the muzzleloading guys have likewise loaded one tube of their 12 bore side by sides with a plastic wad containing a 20 bore round ball. I'd prefer a 12 bore RB myself but they lacked the larger moulds.

I have a double bl. hammer 16 bore Husky - the rifle barrel of which is straight rifled, with a .704" groove diameter, .675" bore diameter. Thus, it is 15 bore on the lands, 13 bore in the grooves. Both tubes are chambered 16 bore- the left for paper or now, plastic. The right is the same chamber, meant for brass - due to their thinner construction, will carry a ball up to .704" in diameter - yet are identical to the neomal 16 bore chamber. The brss cases fit perfectly in either bore, but were normally used with black powder & round ball in the right chamber, while paper ctg. and either nitro or black powder with shot in the left tube.

The chambers are actually 2 5/8", not 2 3/4" nor 2 1/2".

I use a 2.4" brass 16 bore case, with large pistol primer, 3drams 2F (82gr.), 1/2" 14 bore fiber wad, heavy denim (12oz. ie: 030") patched 16 bore ball, which weighs 1oz. ie: 16 to the pound in pure lead. The left barrel gets plastics. The chambers are exactly .090" shorter than the plastic factory 16 gauge Fed. hulls which should not be fired in the shorter chambers - but, I do and they pattern beautifully even & tight modified with 1oz 6's. The left barrel is choked Mod. The right barrel (no choke, straight rifled) actually shoots better than cylinder at 28 yards. Gun was made in 1899 or 1900. As I shoot the ammo off, I am triming the hulls for future loading with shot.

The round balls shoot into about 2" at 30 yards & would be OK for moose, elk, deer, B.bear at close range, out to about 75 or 80 yards.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25673

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com