Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: So why do I want a Mauser?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
BNagel
.224 member

Reged: 21/03/09
Loc: Clute, Texas
So why do I want a Mauser?
      #130616 - 27/03/09 11:14 AM

All it took was watching one African hunt (RSA bushbuck on "The One", sorry) and seeing the safety flipped over from 'safe' to 'fire' and I had to know. What is that rifle??

I have Remington 721 / 700s, Brno / CZ-550s, a Weatherby Mark V, even a .22 LR Voehre already. And, I have enough rifles at correct LOP and so on with enough accurate loads to keep me hunting the rest of my life. So...

What kind of bug just bit me and where would I start to scratch the itch? (I already looked at all the pretty pictures.) I know Bob Faucett and his Oberndorf 98 looks like the bees' knees to me.

Barry of German ancestry but not that much of it

Edited by BNagel (27/03/09 11:16 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: BNagel]
      #130627 - 27/03/09 12:54 PM

Hi Barry; It's OK if you have the bug and itch for a Mauser, unfortunately it can become more of an addiction which only more Mausers can cure. I too have a 700, Weatherby, Lee Enfield and so on (like them all) but my Achilles heel is the 98 Mauser (have quite a few) and its variance. It seems your want the military type by your description of the safety. Your Brno & CZ should be variance of the Mauser. Find yourself a good military rifle or look for a good action e.g. VZ24, Oberndorf, there are quite a few that would make a decent custom, some are more preferable and therefore harder to find and more costly to obtain. --- John S.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #130630 - 27/03/09 01:45 PM

Barry,

You want a Mauser because you have excellent taste.

Simple, isn't it? So get yourself one and have fun.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
      #130688 - 28/03/09 08:59 AM

You want one because they are the design perfection that everyone strives toward. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: VonGruff]
      #131100 - 01/04/09 05:27 PM

Lets have a look at my bolt action sporting arms

.375 H&H Mag - "Whitworth" Mauser 98 action - FN or Mark X action

.30-06 Parker Hale 1200 - Santa Barbara (or FN) M98 action (?)

6.5x55 M96

a spare ex-mil action or two ...

an "unmentionable" Remington in .222.

A couple of SMLE's.

The top two didn't need any action "modification".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rick_R
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: WV, USA
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: NitroX]
      #131151 - 02/04/09 02:38 AM

I'm easing into it. I've got a few rifles built on different Mauser actions but the Husqvarna Model 146 I recently bought from Simpson's really piqued my interest. Light weight, just enough stock to hang on to and nothing extra. I'm not sure who get's switched on more by rolling that safety from right to left, me or the rifle.

Once I financially get over this years PG safari I'm going to get serious about buying an actual Oberndorf sporter, that is if the other WV members haven't bought them all up.

DuggaBoy
.300 member

Reged: 03/03/09
Loc: Tx
      #131163 - 02/04/09 07:23 AM

Quote:

What kind of bug just bit me and where would I start to scratch the itch? (I already looked at all the pretty pictures.) I know Bob Faucett and his Oberndorf 98 looks like the bees' knees to me.

Barry of German ancestry but not that much of it

The worst kind of bug.

Been scratching this itch for over 40 years and it seems to worsen with age.

--------------------
DuggaBoy
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DSC

vapodog
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/04
Loc: Nebraska USA
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: DuggaBoy]
      #131202 - 02/04/09 01:17 PM

Mausers are a disease......go to a good gunsmith and get the prescroption for the cure!

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: vapodog]
      #131205 - 02/04/09 02:13 PM

Barry,
You can't go wrong with a nice original Mauser sporter.
As NitroX said above, no action work needed.
That is the nice thing about the original Mauser sporters, you will not be tempted to modify them in any way - they just don't need it!
Good luck in your search - you won't regret it. Just watch out for the snowball effect!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: Huvius]
      #131210 - 02/04/09 04:26 PM

This lovely Westley Richards even has an original M98 military Bolt handle which looks and works great.

Edited by CptCurl (29/08/10 09:37 PM)

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: ozhunter]
      #131289 - 03/04/09 07:35 AM

When one are finding an original Oberndorf Mauser, either German assembled or refined by a London gunmaker....its still some of the best/finest a true conniseur rifleman can get

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #131303 - 03/04/09 08:08 AM

Isnt it strange that in over 100 years they havent come up with a better bolt rifle? Now how many thing are not improved in the last hundred years? accept the break-open guns

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

CWJ1898
.275 member

Reged: 28/01/09
Loc: LA, USA
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: 450_366]
      #160914 - 24/05/10 01:01 AM

I have been an Original Mauser Sporting fanatic for decades and to put it bluntly everything I pick up today seems to fall short in some way- even the very expensive current M-98 designed rifles do not have that same "feel". The thought that comes to me when I pick up one of my Mauser Model B, for instance, is that this was a non-descript factory gun made for general sales to whomever, it is not a special order and does not even have a great deal of figure in the stock, but it is executed to such a high degree of fit, finish and attention to detail that I simply cannot get excited about much on today's bolt action market- my mind always wanders off to my Model B and I feel a bit let down. My advice is either you get one and then acquire ten (because its very hard to stop-I have 7 so I have some room yet!) or stay away from them all together because you will almost always be disappointed when handling something else.

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: CWJ1898]
      #160917 - 24/05/10 01:56 AM

I guess I'm a good example of what happens when you lack self control. 30 and counting.

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: dons]
      #160928 - 24/05/10 06:22 AM

Let's see, starting in 1871, then 1871,84, 1888 Military and sporting, 1891 rifles and carbine, 1894 Husq. 9.3x57, 1893, 1896, 1898 Military and Sporters. FN 1924 carbines and rifles, FN commercial 1898s, Mark X, and various variations of military from around the world on 1898 actions. One is a Commercial 1935 7mm Oberndorf Mauser banner short rifle built for the Chilean carabineros in perfect condition.
calibers? 6.5x55, 7x57, 7.65 x54, 7.63 Mausers (C96), 8mmx57 I&S, 9x57, 9.3x57, 11mm Mauser.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: dons]
      #161139 - 28/05/10 09:02 PM

Gentlemen,

is there such a club like "anonymus Mauser 98 addicts"?

I buy a lifetime membercard!

I started hunting with customized DWM 7x57 and stayed there. I added calibers in 5,6x61 SE vom Hofe, 6,5x68, 7,65x53 Belgish Mauser, 8x57IS, 9,3x57, 10,75x68, 11,2x72 Schüler and try now to get a 9x57 and a 8x57I.
I cannot afford these rifles in good condition, but I order at my gunsmith the refurbishment of old/much used rifles with new barrel in the same caliber, new stock, new scope mount, new plating and so on.
So finally I have an old rifle system of Mauser or DWM in an old caliber but a new rifle.
And these are simply fantastic!

best regards
Rolf

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: Rolf]
      #161156 - 29/05/10 06:28 AM

Strange about the Mausers though is the value. A Holland, Rigby, Purdey and Jeffery Mauser always seem to have a higher value than an original Oberndorf Sporter and yet some of these English rifles e.g. Jeffery, used military actions for their firearms. None of the English makers actually made the actions or barrels of their bolt rifles (as far as I’m aware). Nothing wrong with the English guns of course and most of them were fancied up with engraving, drop mags, fancy sights, and higher grade wood work.

Of course you could take an original Van Gogh and pretty up, or make a copy, but the original would always retain the higher value by a country mile.

To me the original Oberndorf sporter as it came from the factory has to be the ultimate, everything else is a pretender. Well sort off, anyone got a Rigby they wish to give away to a good home?

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: eagle27]
      #161158 - 29/05/10 07:46 AM

Yes, the M-98 Mauser is the action I use for all my own custom hunting rifles.
It's what I used for about 85% of all the other custom rifles I have made in the last 39 years too.
When you put one together right, I believe a good Mauser is about as "good as it gets" for a custom hunting rifle that MUST work every time. There are some actions as good, but nothing is more reliable.
I have sold off a great many of my rifles that I no longer hunt with, but thinking back on what I have built for myself on Mausers I can count 19 of them, not to mention a few originals I have had. Calibers go from the 25-06 to the 505 Gibbs.
I have been doing gunsmithing for 39 years now, and I am convinced that you truly can't build a bolt action rifle on anything more reliable.
Is there a specific caliber and "type" of Mauser you'd like?

GK
.300 member

Reged: 29/10/09
Loc: Adelaide
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: szihn]
      #161159 - 29/05/10 09:25 AM

Quote:

... and I am convinced that you truly can't build a bolt action rifle on anything more reliable.

After 25years of shooting, I've just come to this conclusion as well. All future rifiles will be some form of mauser.

I'm also on a mission to convince some of my friends to stop wasting their money on overpriced push feeders like the Sauers, Blasers etc. Most of them think that if they pay above $3K then they will have the best rifle. To them mauser are just old shit and new rifles are automatically better.

George

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: GK]
      #161181 - 30/05/10 01:58 AM

GK, I have built a lot of rifles on Mausers that I would stack up against any Sauer, or Blaser. Not to show disrespect for Sauers or Blasers. They are very very good, but I can't say they are any better at all.
It's very common for my rifles to shoot well under MOA, the workmanship is (if I say so myself) excellent, and you can't get any more reliable then a well made M-98 Mauser system, when i's set up the right way for the cartridge it feeds.

"New and improved" is usually only new.

I have yet to see something I'd call a substantial improvement in a bolt action.

Designed in 1898, it's now 102 years old, and nothing has really beat it yet in the bolt action designs.
That's either a superb testament to the design genius of Paul Mauser or a shame on all the designers that have tried since then.

Perhaps the Bolt action was perfected in the M98 design, and that's why we can't come up with anything better. Every bolt action I know of that I would call "as good" is really a Mauser design at its core.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: szihn]
      #161198 - 30/05/10 09:51 PM

Quote:

Designed in 1898, it's now 102 years old

Steve, do the math:

2010 - 1898 = 112

Oh, by the way, I entirely agree about the superiority of Mauser's design.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #161209 - 31/05/10 01:58 AM

One source of difficulty with the Mauser design is that it was originally conceived as a military weapon and since the German military believed in clip loading and rapid fire in all situations, no provision was made to facilitate single loading other than through the magazine.

American designers, who were guided by the American Army's view that combat fire should be conducted by single loading the rifle, using the magazine only as a reserve, when designing the M1903 Springfield rifle changed the Mauser flat breech system to one with a conical breech, which guides a loose round dropped into the receiver into the chamber more surely than the original Mauser design.

More important, the Springfield extractor was designed in such a way to permit it to snap over the rim of a cartridge loaded other than through the magazine, in contrast to the Mauser design, which in its original condition will stubbornly refuse to allow the bolt to close on such a round.

The M1917 Enfield rifle, as well as its predecessors the British P13/P14 rifles, share these features with the Springfield, as do the Springfield's and Enfield's sporting rifle successors, the pre-64 Winchester Models 54 and 70 and the Model 30 Remington.

Attempting to single load an original Mauser action rifle other than through the magazine can result in a round stuck in the chamber with no immediate means to remove it.

I leave it to the user to decide whether or not it might be advantageous to be able to single load a cartridge under stressful conditions, where taking the time to press the round into the magazine might be undesirable or the need for doing so might be overlooked or forgotten.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: xausa]
      #161212 - 31/05/10 03:05 AM

...and clip loadings is a bit awkward with a scope

GK
.300 member

Reged: 29/10/09
Loc: Adelaide
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #161289 - 01/06/10 09:43 PM

Quote:

...and clip loadings is a bit awkward with a scope

This is the reason I have decided to use a IER "scout" scope. I can easily clip load and it make for a better carrying rifle.

George

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: GK]
      #161329 - 02/06/10 10:16 PM

I love the Mauser 98, too, Barry, but to my mind the safety is the least part of it. I think it works the wrong way and thus is awkward to release quietly with thumb and forefinger. The original safeties on mine have been used mainly to strip the bolt. That reminds me:

How do you strip bolts with the streamlined FN/PH/Zastava shrouds?

- Paul

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26185

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com