Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: man eating tiger shot in UP, India - Feb 2009

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Lynx
.224 member

Reged: 11/04/04
Loc: Rajasthan, India
man eating tiger shot in UP, India - Feb 2009
      #130143 - 21/03/09 06:24 AM

A man eating tiger was shot by Nawab Shafath Ali Khan using a .458 mag on 24th Feb, 09... Attached are a few photos..

The tiger had terrorised the area for 4 months after killing 5 people & injured several other in the Faizabad district, UP.

I love this photo in which the Superintendent of Police (SP)& the District Magistrate (senior most goverment official in the district) are standing casually, would be quite a sight had the man eater appeared. I am told the photo was taken as they were attemting to drive out the man eater during a 'beat'.

lynx

Edited by NitroX (01/04/09 10:54 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: man eating tiger shot in UP, India - Feb 2009 [Re: Lynx]
      #130155 - 21/03/09 01:31 PM

Good hunting Nawab Shafath Ali Khan!

I wonder what load he used...

Thanks for posting.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: man eating tiger shot in UP, India - Feb 2009 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #130158 - 21/03/09 03:14 PM

How privileged was the rifle man...fantastic and legal too!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Lynx
.224 member

Re: man eating tiger shot [Re: 9.3x57]
      #130159 - 21/03/09 03:23 PM

www.expressindia.com/maneater-shot-dead-at-last found this on a news site by ARSHAD AFZAL KHAN,
Maneater shot dead, at last

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 0054 hrs IST

Faizabad The maneater tiger prowling in the jungles of Faizabad for over two months was killed on Tuesday evening. He was shot dead by Nawab Shafat Ali Khan of Hyderabad, an expert shooter called for the purpose.
Khan fired three bullets from his 458 calibre Winchester Magnum rifle, hitting the tiger in the shoulder and the head and killing him on the spot. Faizabad District Forest Officer OP Singh said: “Nawab Shafat Ali Khan, authorised by the Union government to kill the maneater, shot dead the animal in Bakchula forest outpost area.”

Early on Tuesday morning, the tiger attacked and killed a cow in Bakchula village, on the periphery of the Kumarganj forest range. Khan said: “Since the cow was half-eaten, I was sure that the tiger would come again to eat its prey. I waited the whole day on a scaffolding on a nearby tree.” The animal returned to the spot around 6 pm.

“After spotting the tiger, I fired and hit his right shoulder. After getting hit, the tiger charged towards me but I fired two more bullets, the second when he was just three feet away from me, and it hit the tiger in the head,” he added.

Its carcass is being brought to Faizabad, officials said. The tiger had strayed of Pilibhit jungles in last November and travelled over 400 km to reach the jungles of Faizabad two months ago. On the way, it killed two men in Pilibhit, one in Barabanki, and two in Faizabad.

It was declared a maneater after it killed a boy in Barabanki in December, but the order was revoked after protests from wildlife organisations and environmentalists. It was again declared a maneater after it killed a man in Faizabad on January 9. The last man it killed was a forest guide, Raghu Raj, on January 15. On two occasions, the forest officials claimed to have shot the big cat — on February 7 and 17 — but on both occasions their claim was proved wrong. On Tuesday, however, its luck ran out.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: man eating tiger shot [Re: Lynx]
      #130163 - 21/03/09 06:32 PM

Lynx

Thanks very much for posting the photos and story.

Well done to Nawab Shafath Ali Khan (is Nawab a title?) for killing the maneater and joining the historical ranks of hunters helping protect India's citizens! Six people killed. People before animals.

But what a grand beast it is.

Any idea of what turned this tiger to maneating?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: man eating tiger shot [Re: NitroX]
      #130165 - 21/03/09 07:39 PM

Maybe it heard that stockbrokers and bankers were feral species?

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: man eating tiger shot [Re: kamilaroi]
      #130167 - 21/03/09 07:48 PM

Wow. locky guy getting that opportunity.

Now, refrech my memory, wasnt there a caliber bann in india?

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

Lynx
.224 member

Re: man eating tiger shot [Re: 450_366]
      #130171 - 21/03/09 10:08 PM

Quote:

Now, refresh my memory, wasnt there a caliber bann in india?

.45, .38, .303, 7.62 is prohibited bore in India since the armed forces & police use these calibers...

Edited by NitroX (01/04/09 10:57 PM)

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #130175 - 21/03/09 10:58 PM

So, a ,458 would be ok then?

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #130177 - 21/03/09 11:11 PM

Really interesting thread.

Injuries...

Those of us that hunt bear, cougar, etc find injuries on them all the time and they don't go maneating. I have always been skeptical of the reports that link injuries to maneating and suspect that some go maneating simply because they like the taste. IN fact, I think the direct link is anthropomorphic thinking.

My theory is that certain carnivores, by mere time and chance, find that each of the sensory obstacles that separate them from humans {odd metallic sounds, smells, upright silhouette of the body, etc} are really not obstacles at all. Once enough of these strange stimuli are learned to be no direct threat by experience, the obstacle to attacking man is overcome and if a human is presented an attack occurs. Once an attack occurs, for the most part the animal realizes that the sensory obstacles are absolutely no threat at all, the meat is good, and they continue to attack.

An injury may be a stress mechanism that starts the overcoming of sensory obstacles, but does not necessarily have to be the cause.

Lack of normal prey or mere opportunism may also be sufficient. Once learned, hard to stop.

Just my theory.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: man eating tiger shot [Re: 9.3x57]
      #130178 - 21/03/09 11:17 PM

Good theory and I totally agree, 9.3x57. They eat people because they think we taste good! Just like a bumper sticker I see every now and then that reads, "I love animals, they taste really good!" For the amount of effort spent vs. energy gained, the tigers would be better off killing cattle than people. Maybe they just want a light snack sometimes and we serve the purpose

--------------------

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #130182 - 21/03/09 11:28 PM

Good shot! Waidmannsheil!

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #130196 - 22/03/09 04:23 AM

The term is Urdu, borrowed via Persian from the Arabic being the honorific plural of naib i.e. 'deputy'. In some areas, especially Bengal, the term is pronounced Nobab. This later variation has entered the English and other foreign languages, see below.

The title Nawab or Nawaab is basically derived from the title of the four nayab (deputies) of 12th and last Imam (Imam-e-zamana) of the Shia sect. That is why most Shia rulers have called them Nawab instead of Sultan or King.

The term Nawab is often used to refer to any Muslim ruler in north India while the term Nizam is preferred for their counterparts in south India. This is technically imprecise, as the title was also awarded to others but not applied to every Muslim ruler. With the decline of that empire the title, and the powers that went with it, became hereditary in the ruling families in the various provinces.

Under later British rule, Nawabs continued to rule various princely states of Awadh, Amb, Bahawalpur, Baoni, Banganapalle, Bhopal, Cambay, Jaora, Junagadh, Kurnool, Kurwai, Palanpur, Pataudi, Rampur, Sachin and Tonk. Other former rulers bearing the title, such as the Nawabs of Bengal and Oudh, had been dispossessed by the British or others by the time the Mughal dynasty finally ended in 1857.

The style for a Nawab's queen is Begum or Nawabzadi. Most of the Nawab dynasties were male primogenitures, although several ruling Begums of Bhopal and Ruchka Begum of TikaitGanj, near Lucknow were a notable exception.

Before the incorporation of India into the British Empire, Nawabs ruled the kingdoms of Awadh (or Oudh, encouraged by the British to shed the Mughal suzereignty and assume the imperial style of Badshah), Bengal, Arcot and Bhopal.

A few of the Muslim rulers who were tributary to the Mughal emperors used other titles; the first Nizam of Hyderabad was given the alternative title Nizam-ul-Mulk, usually translated as Governor of the Mughal kingdom.
In response to Nitrox's querry on Nawab.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: man eating tiger shot [Re: iqbal]
      #130203 - 22/03/09 07:51 AM

Could it be something simpler, that causes these animals to take humans as prey...they are bigger than us and thus have no fear?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: man eating tiger shot [Re: iqbal]
      #130222 - 22/03/09 01:37 PM

Quote:

The term is Urdu, borrowed via Persian from the Arabic being the honorific plural of naib i.e. 'deputy'. In some areas, especially Bengal, the term is pronounced Nobab. This later variation has entered the English and other foreign languages, see below.

The title Nawab or Nawaab is basically derived from the title of the four nayab (deputies) of 12th and last Imam (Imam-e-zamana) of the Shia sect. That is why most Shia rulers have called them Nawab instead of Sultan or King.
... In response to Nitrox's querry on Nawab.

Thanks for the detailed answer and explanation.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #130246 - 22/03/09 10:32 PM

i.e. the rules don't apply if you are in charge

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: man eating tiger shot [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #130364 - 24/03/09 06:45 PM

That is a fantastic tiger !! shooting any of the big cats is a challenge but to bag a tiger is the ultimate trophy!! Well Done!!

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #130369 - 24/03/09 08:06 PM

Lynx - any idea what that tiger weighed?
It is certainly an impressive animal and the taking of a man-eating tiger must be the highlight of any hunting career! Was it shot from elephant back during a drive?
Would love to hear more...

Tiger
.224 member

Reged: 19/04/04
Loc: Agra India
Re: man eating tiger shot in UP, India - Feb 2009 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #130475 - 26/03/09 12:01 AM

A tiger shot!!
My Nick is a "Tiger" too - LOL

Hello everybody,
since hunting is banned in India, in this instance it was done legally.
I request permission from John, if he could grant me permission to copy this post along with your "Nitro Express" Title to my little shooting site.

These pictures are not avaliable for viewing & It would be great to share them with the members of my website.

Thanking you & with regards
Tiger
(not the one pictured above)

gpsb
.275 member

Reged: 17/03/08
Loc: NJ
Re: man eating tiger shot in UP, India - Feb 2009 [Re: Tiger]
      #130674 - 28/03/09 02:55 AM

Such a wonderful trophy, Lucky Man.

Lynx
.224 member

Re: man eating tiger shot in UP, India - Feb 2009 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #130727 - 29/03/09 05:44 AM

Quote:

Lynx - any idea what that tiger weighed?
Was it shot from elephant back during a drive?
Would love to hear more...

No idea what this tiger weighed. It was shot from a machan or platform (sometimes a camp cot) tied up in a tree close to where the man eater had made a kill...

quoted from another site

"Male Bengal tigers measure 270-310 cm in total length, and the females 240-265 cm.[7] The tail of a large male is usually of 85-95 cm long. The weight of the males is normally around 220 kg (485 pounds), although those in the north of India and Nepal have an average weight of 235 kg (518 lb).[8] Females are considerably smaller, weighing about 140 kg (309 lbs) and seldom reaching more than 160 kg (353 lb).[9] Officially, the heaviest Bengal tiger with confirmed weight was a male of 258.6 kg (570 lbs) and was shot in Northern India in 1938;[10] however, the heaviest male captured by a scientist at this time is a male of 270 kg (595 lb), tagged in Nepal in 1984.[11] In the beginning of the 20 century, there was reports of big males measuring about 360 cm. in total length, however there was not scientific corroboration in the field and it’s probable that this measurements were taken over the curves of the body. [12]

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #130729 - 29/03/09 06:08 AM

Incredible story and animal...

find it interesting that even over there, after a boy was killed, that animal rights groups were able to change thing, albeit briefly....they are everywhere...

The hunter is a lucky, lucky man...

As to what turned him to a maneater...agree with 9.3 on this...and yes, just as any other animal, once they start something and it is easy, they will continue...you will never change them once the practice begins...no different than when a farm dog starts killing chickens or lambs...once they start they will continue...

Actually not a lot different than what occurs in some of our inner cities...unfortunatly....its easy and because they can...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: man eating tiger shot in UP, India - Feb 2009 [Re: Ripp]
      #130981 - 31/03/09 06:51 PM

Quote:

As to what turned him to a maneater...agree with 9.3 on this...and yes, just as any other animal, once they start something and it is easy, they will continue...you will never change them once the practice begins...no different than when a farm dog starts killing chickens or lambs...once they start they will continue...
Ripp

An unlimited food supply that probably tastes like chicken...
Alas, chickens with Rifles.
Know doubt, other prey is getting harder to come by.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: man eating tiger shot in UP, India - Feb 2009 [Re: ozhunter]
      #131009 - 01/04/09 01:00 AM

That wound is certainly not four months old, so certainly not the cause for it to turn maneater.
If I were to bet, I would guess the wound is a defensive wound inflicted by one of it's victims - maybe with a knife or axe. Or perhaps a small wire snare meant for a smaller animal.

Bagging a legitimate man-eating tiger has got to be the pinnacle of dangerous game hunting.
Too bad the opportunity wasn't auctioned off as a fund raiser. The local population could use a few bucks I bet.

Is it customary for man eaters to be hunted down in India? I have read that attacks are on the rise, especially from leopards.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: man eating tiger shot in UP, India - Feb 2009 [Re: Huvius]
      #131090 - 01/04/09 04:52 PM

I think the wound is enough to cause the tiger to try "easier" prey. As for its age, I don't know, but half one of the pads is gone and if it doesn't heal. Reading Corbett and others, sometimes the tigers after learning humans can be hunted and eaten easily they continue.

Also while tragic, four or more persons, would that number possibly be victims of circumstance, especially if living or working in forests in conjunction with tigers? Or a true maneating trend? Certainly Corbett's maneaters were reported to have taken a multiple of that sort of number?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17374

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com