Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee Speed mock up

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Neil
.224 member

Reged: 06/03/08
Loc: Canada B.C.
Lee Speed mock up
      #98567 - 07/03/08 06:04 AM

OK. you guys have done it you pulled me over to the dark side. from my single shot ways

I have always liked the Lee Enfields and the pics. of the Lee Speed and the sported #1 MK3s

Put me over the top. so I went and got a #1 MK1. wood had been cut and a bad bore. but still a ok Rifle pics. to follow. so do I go with a 375 barrel and make a 303/375 or just get another 303 barrel

Any input would be great.

Thanks
Neil

ps I am doing a Lee Speed look a like express sights and the whole nine yards.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Lee Speed mock up [Re: Neil]
      #98568 - 07/03/08 06:16 AM

Since it sounds like you are brainstorming, how about a totally different idea.

How 'bout "Teutonizing" it?

7x57R caliber {should feed and function with no alterations to mags, bolt face, etc}, hog's back buttstock, Schnabel fore stock tip, horn buttplate and a little oakleaf carving here and there?

Never seen one and probably never will, but it would IMO be an interesting marriage.

Sort of John Bull meets Marlene Dietrich...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Lee Speed mock up [Re: 9.3x57]
      #98570 - 07/03/08 06:46 AM

Ken Water's .375 on the .303 case was a good one. He barreled one up on a Ruger #1 action, but kept the loads soft. I'm sure they'd work well in a #3.
; If you need his data, mail me.
; If one uses the .444 marlin case, ballistics are a couple hundred fps higher, bringing the 270gr. to around 2,200 to 2,300fps fps in the Enfield making it the equivalent of a rimmed 9.3x57. I would be surprised if the .303's magazine didn't feel them just fine, without alteration. The Enfield's extractor will actually work well from the little .223 case(#4's only) to .45/70's, again, without alteration.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Lee Speed mock up [Re: DarylS]
      #98618 - 07/03/08 09:20 PM

Go with the ever reliable 303.
That way it stays traditional,and the good old 303 will stop anything that comes into your sight picture with correct bullet and placement.
The 215 gn round nose was the original bullet which will stop everything from buffalo to bunnies here in Australia.
Timber sporting stocks are available here in Aussie.
Exact copies if the Lee Speed.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Lee Speed mock up [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #98645 - 08/03/08 01:48 AM

Al- In Austrailia you have access to 215gr. bullets. Here, it's 174gr. Hornadys or 180gr. Remingtons. While they work just fine on moose and deer, black bear, many of us who actually liked the .303, liked it for the 215's. Some .303's shoot 220gr. Horandys just fine, while others don't.
; I am re-barreling a P-14 for a friend. The barrel had a .308 groove diameter, but is going to be chambered with a tight .303 reamer, spud ground to fit the .300" bore to allow .303 factory ammo in a pinch. The difference of .004 overall will make little or no difference in pressure - this we've checked out all ready. The whole reason for this chambering is to allow the use of 220 gr. Horrnady RN's.
: If doing one for myself - I'd use a slightly larger case as in the .444, or merely do the .375 Express on the .303 case, since I have so much of it.

--------------------
Daryl

Neil
.224 member

#98657 - 08/03/08 03:25 AM

Thanks guys I appreciate the in put. the .303 is a nice round but Daryl is right not having 215gr. readly available can hurt the over all performance of the .303

We do get some big black bear here with all the fish and mild winters. I have seen a couple that made

Me wish I had my 50-90 with me.

Thanks again for the help I will check in to the Timber stocks thank you

Neil

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Re: Lee Speed mock up [Re: Neil]
      #98807 - 09/03/08 12:49 PM

If you have access to Woodleigh projectiles,thats where I get mine from.
Al

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#98856 - 10/03/08 03:17 AM

I wrote to Neil about a friend of mine and the steps he's taken to ensure he can have a 200gr. + bullet for his .303 P-14.
: This may be of interest here, well, maybe not.
: He picked up a stainless .308 barrel and a standard .303 chambering reamer with the pilot ground to fit the .300" bore of the .308 barrel.
: He now can use the 220gr. Hornady. Because it is chambered for the standard case, it will also digest standard .303 ammo without any pressure problems - in his P-14 Eddystone. The base expansion between shooting a 180gr. .312" bullet and a .308" bullet is nill using identcial loads. The reason of course, is the bullet is already 8 to 10" up the bore before max pressure is reached and is therefore the proper size by then. Ackley covered this phenominum. Where presssures rise, is when there isn't enough room in the neck for the larger bullet. If this is andard .303 sloppy - no problem.
; A plus here, is with the exapnder removed from the FL die, it sized the neck perfectly to hold a .308" bullet.

--------------------
Daryl

darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
      #106030 - 25/05/08 12:48 PM

Quote:

Go with the ever reliable 303.
That way it stays traditional,and the good old 303 will stop anything that comes into your sight picture with correct bullet and placement.
The 215 gn round nose was the original bullet which will stop everything from buffalo to bunnies here in Australia.
Timber sporting stocks are available here in Aussie.
Exact copies if the Lee Speed.
Al

Alan ,who makes the stocks in Australia???

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Re: Lee Speed mock up [Re: darwinmauser]
      #106043 - 25/05/08 10:46 PM

Geoff Slee down in Victoria.
He advertises in the ssaa journal every month.
Al

--------------------

jc5
.300 member

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: West Coast, USA
      #106271 - 29/05/08 09:07 AM

This is a very interesting thread as I'm starting to research what it will take build up a Lee Speed replica from a Lee Metford action. I think getting an exact duplicate of a Lee Speed stock will be the hardest part. I searched for Geoff Slee and only found this:
http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=25703

The stock looks nice but doesn't look like an exact copy of a Lee Speed. Can anyone advise on who can build me an exact copy of a Lee Speed stock? The only trick is that I plan on using a Lithgow heavy barrel on my sporter, so I think the barrel channel on the forend will need to be slightly deeper (because the barrel is slightly thicker)---does that sound right?

Also, there were actually 2 types of Lee Speed buttstock (not counting the military butts that were used on some low-end models): one had the cap on the pistol grip and the other just had the grip rounded (no cap). I prefer the cap if someone can do it.

Like the original poster, I want this rifle to look very nice, not a cheap bubba. Appreciate any advice.
Thanks

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Lee Speed mock up [Re: jc5]
      #106284 - 29/05/08 01:23 PM

jc5:
Geoff Slee will make you what you want. He actually prefers to make the Lee Speed fore-end short, with a tenon for a buff-horn tip. Just ask him. I have a semi-finished stock that I ordered with a tenon, should be able to find a photo somewhere. It is much closer to a Brit original than that photo in your link would suggest. I'm very happy with it.

Believe it or not, I actually now own that stock featured in the magazine article in your link! It has a long fore-end with a 'palm swell' half way along, dunno why they did that. It will be in for a rude encounter with the spoke-shave before I put it on another rifle! Also, the edges of the shadow-line cheek-piece were rounded slightly for some reason, just not 'pukka', but not hard to tidy up. Beautiful bit of wood, though.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

jc5
.300 member

Re: Lee Speed mock up [Re: Marrakai]
      #106287 - 29/05/08 02:00 PM

Thanks for the advice. Would love to see a photo of your stock if you can find one. Can you give me a ball park estimate of what a nice, finihsed walnut Lee Speed stock might cost? I've never built a rifle before so I honestly have no idea.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #106306 - 29/05/08 10:11 PM

Here are photos of the two Slee stocks in my possession:

This is a semi-finished 'classic' with cheek-piece and tenon for the buff-horn fore-end cap, photographed as it arrived from Geoff:

This is the one from the rifle featured in the magazine article referred to in jc5's link. Incorrectly finished IMHO, but a lovely piece of wood with plenty of potential:

When I'm finished with this one, it will have a short, slim fore-end with horn cap, re-cut cheek-piece, blued steel grip-cap, and flat-top 16-lpi checkering with mullered borders. Ooh, yeah!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

jc5
.300 member

Re: Lee Speed mock up [Re: Marrakai]
      #106359 - 30/05/08 04:28 PM

Thanks for posting the pics.

Can anyone recommend a nice "period correct" leather carrying sling that will look nice on a Lee Speed?

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
      #106407 - 31/05/08 03:18 PM

Quote:

Geoff Slee down in Victoria.
He advertises in the ssaa journal every month.
Al

Thanks for that Alan, I was hoping that you could give me the name of someone else. I phoned Slee last year to order a new stock ,I told him I had an original butt plate and that I wished to have the stock made to fit it, he did'nt seem to keen on this idea so I suspect his stocks are not up to original dimensions.

Stuart
.275 member

Reged: 24/05/07
Loc: Mission, B.C., Canada
      #109492 - 11/07/08 04:07 PM

Quote:

I wrote to Neil about a friend of mine and the steps he's taken to ensure he can have a 200gr. + bullet for his .303 P-14...

Steve Redgwell (.303british.com) in New Lowell, Ont., was making a 200 gr bullet for the .303, and in different diameters, too - .311, .313 & .314, as I recall. I actually got 25 to try out in my BSA P-14 .303 Epps but so far haven't got around to it. (Time, not space, is the final frontier for me at the moment.) I don't see them currently listed on his website but it might be worth dropping him a line.

Stuart

--------------------
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by
smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles
who really mean it. (Mark Twain)

Nailcreek
.300 member

Reged: 13/08/08
Loc: Saukville, WI, USA
Re: Lee Speed mock up [Re: Stuart]
      #111996 - 17/08/08 11:22 AM

What's the current status of the project? I'm really curious!

--------------------
Veni, Vedici, Veggie ... I came, I saw, I had a salad.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Re: Lee Speed mock up [Re: Nailcreek]
      #112025 - 17/08/08 11:32 PM

Nailcreek,email sent.
Al

--------------------

jc5
.300 member

#112105 - 19/08/08 07:46 AM

We'd all be interested to know the status of the project.

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

Neil
.224 member

#114296 - 13/09/08 02:45 AM

Hi Guys

I have been side tracked by the the new business. but i have found a barrel and some sights. but

Still looking for the right stock. and to be honest i was playing with the old hot rod.

Neil

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
      #130034 - 20/03/09 12:43 AM

Quote:

I wrote to Neil about a friend of mine and the steps he's taken to ensure he can have a 200gr. + bullet for his .303 P-14.

Hawk Precision Bullets in New Jersey offers a 215 grain .311 projectile.

Nailcreek
.300 member

Reged: 13/08/08
Loc: Saukville, WI, USA
Re: Lee Speed mock up [Re: Story]
      #130199 - 22/03/09 06:16 AM

How's the project going? I just found good SMLE rifle that's been bubba'd, so the perfect candidate.

Does Geoff Slee have an email address??

--------------------
Veni, Vedici, Veggie ... I came, I saw, I had a salad.

Edited by Nailcreek (22/03/09 07:01 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6804

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com