Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CLASSIC BRITISH ROOK & RABBIT RIFLES

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
Webleyboy
.224 member

Reged: 14/01/07
Loc: Bedfordshire, UK
CLASSIC BRITISH ROOK & RABBIT RIFLES
      #70374 - 29/01/07 03:57 AM

Thanks Mehul,

I will start off with a couple from my 'Rook & Rabbit' rifle collection. First is a Holland & Holland 'The Ross' dating from the last quarter of the 19th Century. The rifle was named after Captain Horatio Ross, a very well known game shot of the day. The rifle has been converted to .22LR from it's original .300 Rook and is in lovely condition. It is fitted with a vintage Jackenkroll scope.

The second is a Charles Lancaster under lever action Rook rifle in it's original .297/250 Rook calibre. This rifle is in very good condition. I still shoot this one in HBSA (Historical Breechloading Smallarms Association) competitions even though loading for it is somewhat of a chore.

If, like me, anyone is passionate about Rook & Rabbit rifles then a 'must buy' is Colin Greenwoods book 'the Classic British Rook & Rabbit Rifle' which has just been published (ISBN 1 86126880-7)

More rifles coming soon.

WB

Edited by CptCurl (29/12/08 12:16 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Re: CLASSIC BRITISH ROOK & RABBIT RIFLES [Re: Webleyboy]
      #100065 - 23/03/08 02:25 PM

The Webley is amazing. I own an Enfield Mk VI which I am very proud of, but yours. Wow. Those rifles are also terrific. It's good to see that even in England there are still a few gun owners hanging in there.

m4220
.300 member

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: wa
Re: CLASSIC BRITISH ROOK & RABBIT RIFLES [Re: Checkman]
      #100070 - 23/03/08 02:41 PM

WB, looking forward to the other rifles as well, I just aqquired my first rook rifle a little H&H 300 rook, side lever central hammer, finally getting some loads together for it. I will be in need of a low bead front sight as some one has replaced with a silver blade that is to tall, I need to find a front sight with the wide dovetail (approx .437) and low bead .080 if you know of any sources

m4220

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: CLASSIC BRITISH ROOK & RABBIT RIFLES [Re: m4220]
      #129527 - 14/03/09 02:00 PM

Can anybody renew the pictures of the Rook rifles Webleyboy posted?
Anybody else out there passionate about Rook & Rabbit rifles?

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: CLASSIC BRITISH ROOK & RABBIT RIFLES [Re: Huvius]
      #129712 - 16/03/09 10:44 AM

I just picked up a couple Rook rifles the other day.
The H&H is also a "Ross" model I believe. I think the Royals had an ejector which this one does not.
It is still in its original chambering of .295 Semi Smooth Bore with a really nice bore. 28" octagon barrel
The Wilkes I just grabbed on gunsinternational.
It has had a poor restock but the metal is in great shape - the engraving is superb for a rook rifle. This one is an ejector too and still .300 Rook, and has a 27" octagon barrel and cased.
Also, the bore cleaned up beautifully - even better than the H&H. Thankfully the forend was not altered. A great candidate for a proper restock.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Edited by CptCurl (15/05/09 09:01 PM)

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: CLASSIC BRITISH ROOK & RABBIT RIFLES [Re: Huvius]
      #129730 - 16/03/09 03:13 PM

Nice. BTW I hear Wally Winfer has a new volume underway covering the same topic (of R&Rs)

fallingblock
.224 member

Reged: 16/06/05
Loc: Western Wisc.
Re: CLASSIC BRITISH ROOK & RABBIT RIFLES [Re: kamilaroi]
      #129838 - 17/03/09 02:02 PM

I can verify that Wal Winfer is working on Rook Rifles and the book will be part of his series on British Single Shot Rifles.
I had the pleasure of helping Tom Rowe photograph a bunch of them localy last fall. It was a lot of work but it helped me improve my ability to take pictures.
I will give Tom a call and ask him when they are looking at having the book done. I do know that Tom is rather preoccupied with getting the Pope books out soon.
Cheers,
fallingblock

kamilaroi
.400 member

Re: CLASSIC BRITISH ROOK & RABBIT RIFLES [Re: fallingblock]
      #129855 - 17/03/09 07:45 PM

Quote:

I can verify that Wal Winfer is working on Rook Rifles and the book will be part of his series on British Single Shot Rifles.
I had the pleasure of helping Tom Rowe photograph a bunch of them localy last fall. It was a lot of work but it helped me improve my ability to take pictures.
I will give Tom a call and ask him when they are looking at having the book done. I do know that Tom is rather preoccupied with getting the Pope books out soon.
Cheers,
fallingblock

Thanks mate,

Wally just sent me their latest and mentioned it.
Are you mentioned in their volumes too?
I have a BSA 12/15(?) substantially!!!! modified that he is interested in featuring.

K

fallingblock
.224 member

Reged: 16/06/05
Loc: Western Wisc.
Re: CLASSIC BRITISH ROOK & RABBIT RIFLES [Re: kamilaroi]
      #129982 - 19/03/09 07:17 AM

Kamilaroi,
The word on Tom's end is sometime next year for the book.

I have a few Rook Rifles that I did detail pictures of and hope some will be in the book. I don't mind taking my rifles apart as they are sometimes in rather taddy condition. Also, took lots of detail pictures at a friend's and have many more to go as he has over 100 rook rifles. Unfortunatley his are all in great shape or refinished as he is an ex-patriot Brit and I don't want to take a chance taking them apart. So far I have taken over 600 detail pictures with losts more to go.

Wal is trying to figure out who made them many are the same rifles for different retailers like H&H, Rigby, Boss etc.
It is hard to figure out what was done by whom and where. If one sets a Belgian rifle next to an English rifle it is often hard to tell them apart. It is all very confusing to work out after 100 years.

In the Martini rifles parts will interchange between Francotte, BSA, Vichers and some times Greener in Cadet rifles as well as Rook Rifles made on the cadet size action by many of the English trade. I some times think the parts were all made in Belgium and sometimes fitted in Birmingham.

Cheers,
Fallingblock

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: CLASSIC BRITISH ROOK & RABBIT RIFLES [Re: fallingblock]
      #129985 - 19/03/09 07:51 AM

Hi Chaps - could you let me know how you contacted Mr Winfer. Does he sell the books direct? I loved his 2 books on Farquharsons...

kamilaroi
.400 member

Re: CLASSIC BRITISH ROOK & RABBIT RIFLES [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #129989 - 19/03/09 09:04 AM

W. Winfer
c/-
Winfer Building and Construction
247 Melton Rd
Gisborne
VIC 3437
Australia

trying to find his phone #.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13036

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com