Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions
      #129256 - 11/03/09 06:43 AM

The only QD rings & bases I've used before are Warne. Looking for the lowest possible QD bases for a Winchester Model 70, so that iron sights would actually be functional with a scope removed...Warnes weren't quite up to the task.

EAW mounts (both claw and pivot) look like they have very thin/low bases...anyone used these on a bolt gun before? Can the claw mounts be fitted to a Model 70 using factory holes?

Another option I've been looking at are Leupold's "QR" bases & rings. I'd have more confidence that EAW could stand up to the recoil but don't have any experience that says so.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions [Re: taw1126]
      #129260 - 11/03/09 07:29 AM

I once had a Winchester 70 Classic Stainless in .375 H&H with EAW pivot mounts and they are really good and sturdy, no problem with recoil at all. EAW makes them for many different kind of rifles. A hunter I know lost a very expensive rifle scope because he was using Leopold QR scope mounts so I cannot suggest them. Another mount to have a look at are Talley scope mounts, I have heard they are very good.

Kalunga

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #129261 - 11/03/09 07:30 AM

The lowest QD rings and bases I've used are Weaver. They are solid, and return to zero as well as any costing many times as much. A coin is needed to remove and replace them, but even that could be overcome with a very little bit of work. They don't look classey like scope mounts costing hundreds of dollars, but if you're not offended by inexpensive equipment that performs just as well, you might give them a try. Just be careful installing the ring caps, as they can mar the finish on the scope.

You will need to set them up right when initially installed, and for each re-installation. There is play between the slots and crossbolts. On the initial installation, put each ring on the base, and make certain to slide it forward until it stops, holding it there while the clamp is tightened. Then place the scope on the ring bottoms and install the caps. I use 20 inch-pounds on the ring screws. Each time the scope is re-installed, slightly snug the clamps, then slide the scope forward until it bumps against the front of the slot. This procedure will ensure the scope returns to the previous setting, and the rings will not move under recoil.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

taw1126
.333 member

Re: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions [Re: Tatume]
      #129263 - 11/03/09 08:05 AM

Thanks gents.

Tom- aren't the Weaver rings & bases aluminum? Do you think they would hold up to recoil on a magnum rifle (.338 WM or .375 H&H)?

Kalunga- did you ever remove the scope and use the iron sights on your Model 70? The EAW pivot mounts look like a fantastic system but I couldn't find any dimensions in their literature. I'm trying to figure out if the bases are as "low" as they look.

Talley makes a great ring & base system but I think their bases are actually some of the tallest...I'll have to dig through my literature to verify that though.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #129266 - 11/03/09 08:27 AM

Leupold's "QR" bases & rings are damn low. Any lower and the bolt won't open.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Kalunga
.333 member

Re: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions [Re: bonanza]
      #129271 - 11/03/09 09:59 AM

Taw1126, I never used the Winchester with open sights because there was never a need for that and I sold the rifle soon due to the poor quality of the barrel. But I am sure it would be possible to use the open sights if a EAW mount is used. You might have a look at their website:

http://www.eaw.de/eaw/index_uk.php/item/296

Kalunga

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions [Re: Kalunga]
      #129272 - 11/03/09 10:15 AM

Quote:

Tom- aren't the Weaver rings & bases aluminum? Do you think they would hold up to recoil on a magnum rifle (.338 WM or .375 H&H)?

The aluminum rings and bases (the caps are steel) work fine for me. However, Weaver also makes steel rings and bases. They even have rings with QD-style levers now.

http://www.weaver-mounts.com/rings_bases/default.aspx

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #129277 - 11/03/09 10:37 AM

Only Warne bases and rings for me

--------------------

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #129278 - 11/03/09 10:46 AM

Warne also makes good stuff. I like and use them too.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #129281 - 11/03/09 11:01 AM

Warne mounts are fugly, fugly, fugly.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions [Re: bonanza]
      #129283 - 11/03/09 11:13 AM

For a really low scope mount you can't beat the Griffin & Howe side mount. Moreover, you are left with a totally uncluttered receiver when the scope is removed, giving full access to open or receiver or cocking piece sights. They are fastned on with three screws and two tapered dowel pins and in my experience impervious to recoil. I have had one on my .450 Watts Magnum for about 35 years now with no complaints.

On the other hand, I have used Weaver aluminum rings and bases on my Model 70 .300 H&H with total satisfaction. However, this is not a rifle I would expect to use iron sights with, even as a fallback.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions [Re: xausa]
      #129292 - 11/03/09 05:51 PM

Only Weaver bases and mounts for me. Had them on a 7mm Magnum with heavy 6x steel Kahles scope for years and no problems. Have currently got a Weaver bridge mount on my Oberndorf 404 Mauser mounted from the receiver ring to the rear of the safari sight, epoxied and screwed securely. A 2x extended eye relief Leupold scope in the lowest Weaver rings sits on this mount.

Setup looks low and neat and has never moved. Easy to quickly lift off scope with coin or knive blade to start knurled wheels. This on a 9lb fully loaded rifle with hefty recoil and has fired many rounds. With scope off, the iron sights easy to use straight down the centre of the Weaver bridge mount. Mount and ring bases are alloy.

Could post a photo but need to sort out how to do this.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions [Re: eagle27]
      #129350 - 12/03/09 11:43 AM

Have used Warne QD for one of my .416's --they seem to work really well..have also used leupold dual dovetails for fixed mounts and have never had a problem with them either on my .375's and 416..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

taw1126
.333 member

Re: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions [Re: Ripp]
      #129352 - 12/03/09 11:53 AM

Thanks again for all of the comments. For you guys using Warne rings & bases, did you ever try using open sights with the bases installed? I had some on my pre-'64 Model 70 and couldn't use the standard issue sights.

I don't typically use a scope (last September's antelope trip was the first time I've hunted with a scope in 10 years or so) but I recognize there are times when it's a real benefit. So I want to have a workable set of irons and mounts I can use if a scope is a genuine necessity.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #129354 - 12/03/09 12:26 PM

I have EAW and Warne setups and like them both. Neither worked out very low for me, but I do not like low, I like somewhat high mounts myself. I like my head up.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #129357 - 12/03/09 01:42 PM

taw1126,
I have a set of EAW mounts on a double and the bases are approx .250", or one quarter of an inch thick.
They certainly give adequate clearance to still be able to use the open sights on my rifle.
I'm not certain that all the EAW bases are the same thickness though.

They are a very good quick detach mount system.
Some will tell you that they are slow to remove the scope, and that they won't return to zero, but this is not true.
So long as they are fitted and set up properly the return to zero is spot on, and the scope can be removed or installed in approx one second.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions [Re: 4seventy]
      #129363 - 12/03/09 03:35 PM

Weaver Grand Slam bases on my FN Mauser 98 will allow you to see Recknagel Express sights.

Kalunga
.333 member

Re: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions [Re: tophet1]
      #129437 - 13/03/09 03:57 PM

This is how a EAW base looks like on my Ruger Magnum. Sorry that the picture is blurred.

Kalunga

Pigeon
.224 member

Reged: 05/11/08
Loc: Germany (mid)
      #129449 - 13/03/09 10:05 PM

Hi Kalunga,

EAW bases on such a beautifull rifle like a Ruger Magnum ist just "Stilbruch" - sorry! Why did You this as the rifle has some bequtifull bases integrated?

Klaus

--------------------
life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.de

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
Re: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions [Re: tophet1]
      #129450 - 13/03/09 10:10 PM

Quote:

Weaver Grand Slam bases on my FN Mauser 98 will allow you to see Recknagel Express sights.

i'm using the leupold QRW on my M70, very similar to this, though the bases don't seem to be as thick. very happy with the system.
i would recommend this type of cross bolt system over the cam lock type leupold QR.

Kalunga
.333 member

Re: Lowest QD Bases for Bolt Actions [Re: Pigeon]
      #129485 - 14/03/09 04:08 AM

Quote:

Hi Kalunga,

EAW bases on such a beautifull rifle like a Ruger Magnum ist just "Stilbruch" - sorry! Why did You this as the rifle has some bequtifull bases integrated?

Klaus

Well Klaus,
first I have to tell You that I don`t have EAW bases on my Ruger but just the front base, second the reason I did this is that I have now a QD scope mount for my Zeiss scope, which would not be possible with the Ruger rings. Sorry !

Kalunga

taw1126
.333 member

#129491 - 14/03/09 06:25 AM

Kalunga-
Is that a pivot mount base or a claw mount base on your Ruger?

Kalunga
.333 member

#129502 - 14/03/09 06:57 AM

It`s a pivot mount base especially designed for Ruger rifles, the upper rear part fits perfectly to the rear bases and is locked with a lever. It holds zero perfectly well since 14 years now and I prefer it to a claw mount any day. Claw mounts are only ok if very well made and then they are awfully expensive. Also if You want to use another rifle scope the whole claw mount has to be made again with the same expensive costs.

Kalunga

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #129521 - 14/03/09 12:18 PM

Kalunga and Pigeon, my SAKO is the same.

Has the tapered integral base, but at the time I couldn't find SAKO rings and yet, believe it or not, the EAW's were available! Been there ever since.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7692

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com