Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Indian lion poaching

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Indian lion poaching
      #128563 - 03/03/09 03:58 AM

Asia : India: Court sends 16 'Lion poachers' to jail for 5 yrs
on 2009/3/1

Ahmedabad: A lower court in Bhavnagar on Thursday sentenced 16 poachers of Asiatic Lions to five years of imprisonment. Earlier, in October last year, a Judicial Magistrate in Junagadh had convicted 20 poachers in two cases. In September 2008, three persons were convicted for electrocuting five lions in Dhari village in Bhavnagar.

The Chief Judicial Magistrate in Bhavnagar pronounced the verdict on Thursday in connection with a 2007 poaching case in village Bhandariya in Bhavnagar. While 15 of those convicted are from Madhya Pradesh, one is from Karnataka.

The CID (crime) was roped in to help the Forest Department track the accused in a total of 10 cases of Asiatic Lion poaching in 2007. While two cases were registered in Junagadh, the third was registered in Bhavnagar.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/court-sends-16-lion-poachers-to-jail-for-5-.../428819/

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Indian lion poaching [Re: gryphon]
      #128623 - 03/03/09 03:46 PM

Good to see as there aren't many lions left in the Gir Forest in India.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Woodlea
.224 member

Reged: 27/07/08
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Indian lion poaching [Re: NitroX]
      #128647 - 03/03/09 09:39 PM

From what I have herd there are to many Lions in the Gir Forest. That is why they roam out of the protected area and are killed. There are several other parks in India with suitable habitat and area for Lions but they have been unable to get hold of Lions to relocate. The local provence wants to keep the monopoly on lions as they see them as money earners from tourists. They are the ones who do all they can to prevent the removal of any Lions. If Lions were alowed to be relocated to another area the species would be much more secure and numbers would increase.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Indian lion poaching [Re: Woodlea]
      #128718 - 04/03/09 12:51 PM

Quote:

From what I have herd there are to many Lions in the Gir Forest.

Do you have any links to this. Out of interest.

Quote:

That is why they roam out of the protected area and are killed.

Because of population pressures many parks and reserves are heavily encroached by humans. Illegal wood cutters, poachers, farmers etc. You might be right, but often the areas where the claims of lions (or tigers) roaming out from a park are actually park areas.

However no doubt unfortunate people are killed outside of park where tigers (and lions) are resident. I was at a park in 2006 and a young boy was killed outside of the park during the few days I was there.

Quote:

There are several other parks in India with suitable habitat and area for Lions but they have been unable to get hold of Lions to relocate. The local provence wants to keep the monopoly on lions as they see them as money earners from tourists. They are the ones who do all they can to prevent the removal of any Lions. If Lions were alowed to be relocated to another area the species would be much more secure and numbers would increase.

Interesting. I did a quick search and saw on Google (without open the site) that there are plans to relocate a couple of prides to Gujarat Province. Hope it goes well. Conservation in that country is often a bit "confused".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #128723 - 04/03/09 01:22 PM

I have a completely different view of large predators and large predator poachers since dealing with wolves here.

Now, before I condemn all such poaching I ask "Why?", as in, "Why are they killing them?"

There are various reasons, some of which I would have no problem supporting.

Interesting how perspectives change...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Indian lion poaching [Re: 9.3x57]
      #128726 - 04/03/09 02:28 PM

Those guys are lucky - in Africa, they shoot poachers, don't they?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Woodlea
.224 member

Reged: 27/07/08
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Indian lion poaching [Re: DarylS]
      #128741 - 04/03/09 10:07 PM

I read what I posted on another forum discussing the Gir Forest lion situation. Here is the imprtant part.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

It is relatively old news ... reason why I continue critisicing Indian wildlife management authorities and their federalist system. The Kuno Project has been promoted for years. The Gir lion population has been veering on the over capacity for years. The federal government of Gujrat has been reluctant to do anything for years and has been politically posturing itself on being the sole state with Asian lions to the full detriment of the survival of the species. It is that bad since the Gujrat state and wildlife authorities have even failed to stop the continued poaching, poisoning, electrocution and falling into cattle wells of surplus lions. The real truth is that the lion population has been more or less stable for years and if no new sites are actively looked for to translocate some of the surplus lions the surplus will continue dying on the periphery of the present sanctuary or those substandard sanctuary areas the Gujrat government seems wont on bestowing on emigrating lions. There is a good Indian wildlife conservation site documenting all this. It is a complete scandal!

Anyhow, if we do not continue putting pressure on the ineffectual Gujrat government, it will never release any Asian lions to other Indian states where the species formerly occurred. That is a total disgrace and it is down to the egos of some hotshot Gujrati politicians. The Kuno project - which has completely restocked the wildlife herbivore population in Madhya Pradesh state - has now chosen to translocate some captive-bred lions from Delhi-Hyderabad and a third Indian zoo. The offspring of these lions will be releasees.

A last note: some 2-5 surplus wildcaught Asian lions end up in Sakkarbaug Zoo almost every year. The EEP is crying out for new founders and the Sakkarbaug Zoo has about 15+ wild caught and non-breeding individuals to choose from. Another indication how the federal government of Gujrat is failing once again for purely personal agendas and political posturing. These people just do not care for what is in the best interest of Asian lion protection.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Indian lion poaching [Re: Woodlea]
      #128744 - 05/03/09 01:00 AM

Mate who knows what politics are behind some of this too from either angle. Lions in new parks would also make money for those parks as well.

And as for population numbers, extreme greens always claim they are nearing extinction for any wildlife population.

People wanting to show good management claim the numbers are stable or improving.

My experience in India was being told and reading tiger population numbers for a number of parks. Based on censuses. Visited a couple. Some people claimed the pop'n numbers were BS.

Turned out a year later, the naysayers were right and there were serious problems with tiger populations being ONE-QUARTER of the census claims!

No wonder us tourists had trouble finding any stripes and when they were sighted were hounded by literally thousands of people in over a hundred vehicles at the time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

shooter
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/08
Loc: UK
      #166521 - 20/08/10 11:28 AM

"lion numbers falling" : true

"too many lions": true

Hows that possible?

In absolute terms there is no questions that number of lions has fallen ; i mean decimated.

However the amount of forest cover etc has also fallen.

Hence compared to how much land Gir lion sanctury has, the lion number is too many. Hence they venture out to the villages for cattle and other animals.

In most wildlife parks including project tiger ones one can see people chopping trees illegally openly in daylight. When i told the ranger, he told me to comlain to the headquarters and so on. Nothing is done. The forest cover in india is in single digits (some sources say 4-5%. Im not surprised.

Now its too late (maybe) to try to increase the numbers of wild life animals. No place to put them in except zoos where they are tortured and taunted by the public, where it is a 'done and an acceptable practice' to throw stones, pebbles, nuts etc at tigers till they roar and then roar back at them or clap and laugh and repeat the process all over again till you are tired and the next group of visitors cant wait any longer to do the same.

Sorry to sound pessimistic but its a fact.

--------------------
Born to hunt, forced to work

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Indian lion poaching [Re: shooter]
      #166561 - 21/08/10 12:59 AM

Quote:

Now its too late (maybe) to try to increase the numbers of wild life animals. No place to put them in except zoos ...

Some of the Parks are definitely large enough if human encroachment is controlled.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

shooter
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/08
Loc: UK
      #166908 - 28/08/10 12:53 AM

I do agree some parks are large but Gir for lions isnt one of them. Most of the large parks are for tigers and shrinking due to human encroachment (deforestation and poaching).

For a long time Ive been hearing the relocation programme by the govt. to relocate lions to other national parks but its only on paper and no concrete steps have been taken.

Many national parks now have zero populations of tigers. They have been all poached. The funny thing is that it has been so for many years but the govt.has announced this now.

--------------------
Born to hunt, forced to work

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4453

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com