Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Learning my new .470

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
AlaskanPH
.224 member

Reged: 31/03/04
Loc: Alaska
Learning my new .470
      #12834 - 31/03/04 08:44 AM

Though I am a licensed and fully active Master Big Game Guide here in Alaska and have used my .416 Remington bolt action rifle for many years both here and in Africa, I am new to the world of Double Rifles.

I recently received my new Krieghoff .470 NE and am in the process of learning about the gun and am starting down the long road to becoming comfortable and competent with it. Though I may use it here in Alaska on some of the hunts I guide (possibly when I am guiding a bow hunter for brown bears or grizzly) I suspect that I will use it primarily in Africa.

With that said, I have a couple of initial questions for those that have some time under there belts with their double rifles.

Firstly, the gun is extremely stiff! Is there any way to loosen it up more quickly besides just time using it and breaking it open thousands of times? Though I am not a small man and am reasonably strong, there is no way that I can break it completely open without effort and it seems that with it being so stiff it will definitely slow down the reload time, which could have potentially serious consequences in the field. Am I wrong in thinking that it should be smooth and loose enough that when holding the rifle level to the ground and pusing the thumb lever the barrels should simply drop fully open by themselves from their own weight?

Secondly, for those that have used their doubles in the field hunting, particularily for dangerous game, what have you found to be the fastest and most effective method of reloading the gun?

In advance, I thank you for your time and look forward to your thoughts.

All the best,

AKPH

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Learning my new .470 [Re: AlaskanPH]
      #12837 - 31/03/04 12:26 PM

AlaskanPH, first of all, welcome to this more than friendly site. Now to your problem, do you have a Krieghoff dealer or rep close by to you? Or do you have to go down to Wa. State? In either case, I'd ask them if there was any way you could have them smooth it up for you. I've handled some stiff ones and after just looking at them, I just put them down and walked away. If it takes that much effort to break it open, then it may need some work. I don't know how much shooting it needs to smooth out a bit.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Learning my new .470 [Re: 475Guy]
      #12839 - 31/03/04 01:01 PM

Welcome to NitroExpress. And congratulations on your new rifle.

New Doubles are always a bit stiff. They do need to be shot in, 50-100 rounds. There are always a few that don't but they are in the minority. The closer the tolerances the tighter the fit. Particularly the hinge pin. This is good.

An ejector will always be stiffer than a non ejector as the ejectors need to be cocked if fired. You are setting the springs. You may disconnect it (have it done) and that will allow for the barrels to loosen up and fall freer. Some people like non ejectors.

If you are concerned that something may be rubbing look for galling. Try a light coat of smoke or machinist blueing on the face, hinge pin, and the locking lugs and look for spotty contact and rough spots. If you find any have a very competent Double Gunsmith rectify it. A Krieghoff warranty station will not be up to snuff and they will have to send it out.

Bob Cusack has used a 470 and a 9.3x74R as a back up on Brown Bears and Moose for years. For that kind of work they are as good as you can get. Sometimes a scope is very handy for sorting animals out of thick bush though that's for sure.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #12840 - 31/03/04 01:17 PM

Call Lee LeBas in Carson City, NV. He does work on and for Kreighoff and KNOWS these guns! I dropped into his shop with a recently purchased Sempert & Kreighoff drilling to have scoped, and Lee was on the phone to Dieter Kreighoff making small talk and ordering special engraving on a DR being made up for a client. He knows the breed. His business is L&L Sales, 775-841-3069.

He can tell you what you need to know and make the gun the way you want it, within reason, of course.

By the way...WELCOME.

luv2

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

JBoutfishn
.224 member

Reged: 13/09/03
Loc: Redding Ca.
      #12844 - 31/03/04 03:32 PM

Welcome to the World of Double DGR's. I have found the fastest way to reload is to hold the cartridges between the fingers of my left hand ( I am right handed). After fireing, Open the rifle by dropping the butt, holding the rifle in your left hand. The new shells are between your fingers in plain view in front of you. Remove the shells from you fingers and insert into the chambers.

My PH in Tanzania who uses a Krieghoff 500 NE as a back up showed me the method. I find droping the butt serves two purposes. One, the rifle opens easier. Two, your eyes are always looking in the direction of whatever you have pissed off while reloading. If you drop the barrel, your eyes tend to look down. Not a good Idea in the long grass

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Jim

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #12847 - 31/03/04 11:27 PM

Is your rifle an ejector rifle? Ejector rifles are historically harder ot open than extractor rifles.

Most likely your rifle is just new and tight. A little use and youi should use it, it will become easier.

As for reloading my double, I break the action on my ejector rifle, with my left hand(I'm right handed) I retrieve two rounds from my ammo carrier and pluck two new round into the rifle, close the action.

On an extractor rifle I break the action, raise the muzzles with my left hand and the spent rounds slide out. Get two round snd plunk them in the chambers.

A variation of this is to let the rifle swing down , retreive round and as the rifle swings back up, capture to stock between your arm and body, load with right hand , close action and lift into battery.

Find a system that you are comfortable with. I ususally don't do the rounds between the fingers method, but that's just me!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2253

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com