Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Guy with question about getting into double rifles.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
jager01
.224 member

Reged: 26/02/09
Loc: Ohio
New Guy with question about getting into double rifles.
      #128184 - 27/02/09 02:01 AM

I just joined the boards with an intention of harvesting knowledge from you fine gentlemen. I have been an avid bird hunter for a long time now and want to join the ranks of a the big game hunters. I am seeking advice on what my first rifle shall be. I am still a college student but am going to sell a number of rare WW2 rifles to fund my purchase. I would like to keep the total expenditures under 5k. I have started my research and noticed the Kodiak and a chapius might be a good place to start. All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: New Guy with question about getting into double rifles. [Re: jager01]
      #128190 - 27/02/09 02:37 AM

jager01,
Welcome to NE!
My first piece of advice is to first read everything on this site that you can.
I have found that there is a lot of "real world" experience here which you could never match reading periodicals and brochures.
Secondly, set your sights on a gun which you really want and then don't settle for less. The second you buy gun "A", invariably gun "B" comes along which you would rather have - happens to me all of the time!
Also, don't be afraid to put out more money for better quality or better condition.

$5K is a good statring point, depending on what type of double you fancy, but consider that if you bump up to $7500-$10K, the rifle selection really opens up for you.
That being said, sounds like you are into German guns already which is probably good as far as cost (compared to equal quality English).
Whatever you are thinking of buying, don't hesitate to float it out here on the forum and the folks here will surely tell you the pros & cons and give their opinions.

If you really like the Kodiak, I saw one in 8X57 at Gunsport Colorado which seemed like a decent gun at a decent price - bouldersmith could check it out for you I'm sure.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Edited by Huvius (27/02/09 02:38 AM)

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: New Guy with question about getting into double rifles. [Re: Huvius]
      #128201 - 27/02/09 03:54 AM

jager01

Welcome to the Forum. I'm pretty sure you will get all the information you need , if not more.

What calibers are you thinking about? There are some pretty nice small caliber Euro rifles around for under $7,000 and with the Economy the way it is prices for the entry level stuff might come down a bit.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

jager01
.224 member

Re: New Guy with question about getting into double rifles. [Re: mickey]
      #128208 - 27/02/09 04:44 AM

I would love one in 8x57 as I already have a few rifles in that caliber. Huvius, how much was the kodiak in 8mm?

Huvius
.416 member

#128214 - 27/02/09 05:25 AM

I just talked to them.
They are asking $2499 for it, but said they would go $2200 for cash or check.
Actually a great deal IMO. It looks to be in excellent original condition but I have never looked at the bores - I suspect it has not been shot much.

--------------------

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
      #128216 - 27/02/09 06:04 AM

Jager01,
I've been a big game hunter my entire life and I've often dreamed of hunting Africa with a double rifle. But alass, I fit into the catigory of folks that only have an average job and a family to raise. My disposable income must go to such things as braces for the kids gas for the car and food on the table as opposed to a Merkel, Blaser or the "holy grail" Holland & Holland. With this in mind, I have scrimped and saved and will hopefully be hunting in Africa this year. With respect to a double, I've purchased two from the "poor mans" catalog. They are manufactured for Remington by Baikal (SPR22), but they aren't very easy to find. One is a 30-06 and the other is a 45-70. Each gun was less than $1,000. They aren't too fancy, but shoot nicely. I'm happy and on my way to hunt Africa, as opposed to using that "extra" money paying for a gun that frankly I'd feel bad even shooting! Drop me an email if you want to know more about my Remingtons - I'd be happy to try and help you locate one. Good Luck, Christopher

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

jager01
.224 member

Re: New Guy with question about getting into double rifles. [Re: crkennedy1]
      #128223 - 27/02/09 06:34 AM

This forum is awesome! Huvius, I would very much like to purchase that rifle. I will contact Gunsport colorado! Thanks guys!

jager01
.224 member

#128244 - 27/02/09 12:33 PM

Is this the gentleman with the 8mm double?http://gunsportcolorado.com/ I emailed him but wasnt sure as I have not heard back and they do not have a website to view. Thanks again!

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: New Guy with question about getting into double rifles. [Re: crkennedy1]
      #128251 - 27/02/09 01:21 PM

Quote:

Jager01,

With this in mind, I have scrimped and saved and will hopefully be hunting in Africa this year. With respect to a double, I've purchased two from the "poor mans" catalog. I'm happy and on my way to hunt Africa, as opposed to using that "extra" money paying for a gun that frankly I'd feel bad even shooting! Good Luck, Christopher

++++++++++++++++++

Christopher,

Wanted to congratulate you on your hunt plans---BUT, as I have stated numerous times on this site, be careful...the African bug bites aweful hard and seems to not want to let go..YOU go once, you will long to go again...

As to feeling bad shooting a fine double or any double for that matter...you reminded me of what my gunsmith told me--he equates that to not wanting to sleep with a woman because she is too beautiful..

Take Care

Ripp

P.S.--Jager01--WELCOME TO THE SITE...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Huvius
.416 member

#128254 - 27/02/09 01:49 PM

jager01,
Just call them.
You will need someone with an FFL to receive it for you - any gun store, really can do it.
Bet they would take a credit card for the full asking price - see what they say.
303-938-1396
bouldersmith has his shop right below the gunstore - you should ask him his opinion of it.
here is his website:
http://www.bertramandco.com/
A warning though, his tastes run pretty high

--------------------

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #128270 - 27/02/09 03:45 PM

jager01

We will obviously expect pictures.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

jager01
.224 member

Re: New Guy with question about getting into double rifles. [Re: mickey]
      #128271 - 27/02/09 04:12 PM

Pictures and a range report will be of top priority. I will call them tomorrow and keep you gentlemen posted.

jager01
.224 member

#128432 - 01/03/09 02:26 PM

If anyone knows where to get a Rottweil SXS please give me heads up. They are very nice looking and i hear nothing but good things about them, all I can find is O/U. If not I will stick with the kodiak.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4171

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com