Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Need information on a Mauser in .30-06

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
RHB
.300 member

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: India
Re: Mauser .30-06 [Re: pjaln]
      #121333 - 16/12/08 01:34 PM

Thanks Mehul but what or who is Quinnox?

I am going to be out of station from 21st Dec. to 2nd Jan. I will order Speed's Original Mauser and Olson's Mauser Bolt Rifles, to start with, after I return.

I am taking it to a friend's place to test. He is an experienced shot and has exceptionally good eye sight.

Incidentally, what I mistook for pitting turned out to be a false alarm. Yesterday morning I switched to Sweets 7.62 and the bore came out clean as a whistle after the fourth application. I added two more applications just to be on the safe side. I will be testing it with Winchester Super X and S&B. Both are 180 grain rounds. Couldn't get the Federal cartridges to test. I will post the results here later in the day.

Take care.

Rustam

P.S.: I did post a few pics of the ZP49 in the shotgun section. I think this was earlier in the year.

Edited by RHB (16/12/08 01:36 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Mauser .30-06 [Re: RHB]
      #121335 - 16/12/08 02:09 PM

Rustam,

Quinnox is Inder's company. They always have someone or the other traveling from Chicago to Bangalore. If you want me to buy the book here and send it across it would be no problem at all.

In any case, I'll call you in a little while.

Cheers!

Paul,

I'm lucky I don't have anything to drink at the moment or my keyboard would need some cleaning.

Cheers!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

RHB
.300 member

Re: Mauser .30-06 [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #121362 - 17/12/08 12:49 AM

Hi Mehul,

I will talk to Inder after I return from the holidays. Thanks.

We were unable to get a 100 yard range and had to settle for 75 yards. My friend, Omer, fired four rounds on one of those Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-See targets. We were using a cushion on top of my car as a rest. The first shot hit the centre, the second 1" to the left at 10 o'clock, the third was 1" from the centre at 4 o'clock and the fourth shot was 1.25" from the centre at 2 o'clock. He then patched the holes and proceeded to shoot his .244 H&H and .375 H&H double. Since that target was a mess and confusing, I drew a square on the box and used that as a second target. Omer shot first and since I couldn't resist shooting the rifle I took the last two shots of the day. Omer was aiming at the black circle in the centre, whilst I was aiming at the bottom black edge. My two shots measure 1 3/16" c-t-c.

RHB
.300 member

#121420 - 18/12/08 03:17 AM

There are a couple of things I would like to add to this rifle to make it as original as possible...

1) Could someone post a picture of the front sight hood that was or may have been used on a Type A during the mid-30's?

2) I have an original Mauser sling, albiet a modern one, but the QD swivels I have don't suit the rifle. Could someone also post pictures of the sling swivels that were or may have been used on a Type A during the mid-30's?

3) Last but not least, am I right to assume that the express sights on this rifle were regulated? If so, could someone tell me what was the average velocity of 180 grain .30-06 rounds produced in the 1930's?

Thanks.

Rustam

RHB
.300 member

Re: Mauser .30-06 [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #128055 - 26/02/09 02:36 AM

Quote:

I also found a very interesting article on proof marks used in India recently. Apparently, the British administration in India had its own system of proving guns that were imported here without being proven in London or Birmingham.

Mehul,

Would it be possible to post that article here?

I ask because someone on IFG had the following to say, "Oh yes, and your rifle has been sold with the approval of 'THE RAJ' as the embossed 'Arm with the saber' suggests."

I am assuming he is refering to one of the cross type stampings seen in the picture below. I did ask him to idenify the concerned proof-mark but have not heard from him.

Thanks.

Rustam

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #128061 - 26/02/09 03:21 AM

Rustam:
The "arm with the saber" is the British nitro proof. It is not one of the marks shown in the photo above. I will email you a photo of NP proof.

RHB
.300 member

Re: Mauser .30-06 [Re: dons]
      #128128 - 26/02/09 03:40 PM

Thank you, Don.

For those who would like to see the proof-mark, here it is...

Could you tell me what those 'cross' type markings (just ahead of the receiver) denote?

Lastly, is my front sight missing a gold / silver / ivory bead?

Thanks.

Rustam

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11374

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com