Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New made Mausers?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Wes350
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/08
Loc: CA,
New made Mausers?
      #127971 - 25/02/09 05:18 AM

I see a gulf in mauser actioned arms.

You have the Rem/Zavasta thing going for around 700 (and it would be less without the Rem name on it). And then it seems to jump to 2500+ just for an action.

Mauser technically still makes them, But I've never seen them for sale stateside and they seem to go for as much as a full house custom gun anyway.

Is the design just not sellable today??? (the Rem gun seems like an afterthought to thier bread and butter line)

Any particular reason the design has gone out of fashion by the general public?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: New made Mausers? [Re: Wes350]
      #127990 - 25/02/09 07:35 AM

I don't think that they have gone out of fashion at all, just look at all the custom jobs or the posts on this forum or the other place.

What has happened is that due to the complexity of the design they cannot be made for the $600-700 that Savremchester sell their guns for.
The largest consumer nationaly of guns buys their firearms very much on price.

It takes over 700 seperate machining actions to produce a true Mauser action, it is written in a well regarded book on the guns that over 700 dedicated machines were used in its manufacture.

A Rem 700 for example can be made on a lathe and a milling machine only.

Regards

Wes350
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/08
Loc: CA,
Re: New made Mausers? [Re: Bramble]
      #127996 - 25/02/09 09:35 AM

Quote:

What has happened is that due to the complexity of the design they cannot be made for the $600-700 that Savremchester sell their guns for.
The largest consumer nationaly of guns buys their firearms very much on price.

I was thinking something more in line with Blaser prices - more of a high end gun, but for your couple of grand you'd get a complete gun and not just an action...

Quote:

It takes over 700 seperate machining actions to produce a true Mauser action, it is written in a well regarded book on the guns that over 700 dedicated machines were used in its manufacture.

A Rem 700 for example can be made on a lathe and a milling machine only.

Regards

Even the current winchester guns get around this a bit with modern machinery. But I guess the start up costs would be a bit much for someone to take a risk on in the current market.

dirtyjim
.224 member

Reged: 23/02/08
Loc: texas
Re: New made Mausers? [Re: Wes350]
      #129574 - 15/03/09 03:43 AM

briley in houston was mausers stateside dealer but i last time i checked they were no longer listed on their website.
the remington 798's & 799 mini mausers are sellable but i think their stock choice was a poor decision & their quality control is not quite up to par.
i purchased one of the remington 799 mini mausers for a project rifle when bass pro shops had them on sale for $370 & i would have been more than a little dissapointed if i had paid the full price.
the inletting on the stock is very poor, i'm not using the original stock so that really doesn't hurt me but if you planned on keeping it i would recomend re-bedding it.
a lot of the machining is very rough & had to be deburred. the trigger was rough & had to be dissasembled & stoned to smooth it out. i'll replace it with a timney later.
i think a little better QC & a classic sporter style stock would help them sell more rifles along with some more caliber choices like 7x57 & 6.5x55

86thecat
.224 member

Reged: 14/07/05
Loc: Black Hills SD, USA
Re: New made Mausers? [Re: dirtyjim]
      #130016 - 19/03/09 02:48 PM

The CZ rifles seem to be filling that gap even though they're not a true Mauser.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: New made Mausers? [Re: 86thecat]
      #130094 - 20/03/09 02:06 PM

Brian Harre in NZ makes them for about $4000 to $6000, actions only.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Bukken
.224 member

Reged: 14/03/09
Loc: Norway
Re: New made Mausers? [Re: NitroX]
      #130739 - 29/03/09 11:37 AM

Being new to this forum, I would like to add my $ 0,02. A Mauser action is labour-intensive and labour-intensive to make, as stated above. Also, when building a hunting rifle on a Mauser action, a lot of work and money is spent on making it as close to a Winchester model 70 as possible. In the building process, most will install features such as scope mount drilling and tapping, scope-friendly bolt handle, aftermarket trigger, Model 70 safety and hinged magazine floorplate. After having done so, you will have spent more than if you started with a second hand Winchester.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mausers, have several and hunt a lot with them, but today, a Winchester will give you the features you look for in a modernized and cost-effective package.

It just won't be a Mauser...

--------------------
Charlie's listening!

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: New made Mausers? [Re: Bukken]
      #130742 - 29/03/09 12:30 PM

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I love Mausers, have several and hunt a lot with them, but today, a Winchester will give you the features you look for in a modernized and cost-effective package.

It just won't be a Mauser...

Just did exactly that--picked up a older Win action (blt 1954) which I plan to use to build a new gun for Africa...actually got it with the original stock along with a synthetic stock for less than $1000.

Also checked into other actions available--you can get an Empire action as well for I believe around $3000. --there is another firm in AZ that makes customs for about the same price..

Personally have looked at the Rem. guns with the mauser style actions--think they are poorly built, IMHO...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: New made Mausers? [Re: Ripp]
      #131102 - 01/04/09 05:30 PM

Buy a good second hand sporting rifle with a Mauser 98 action. IMO good value where the actions don't really need any work as described.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: New made Mausers? [Re: NitroX]
      #131704 - 07/04/09 12:01 PM

While they're not true Mausers the new M70s look nice at least in my Rifleman Magazine.

Regards,

Chuck

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

thorshammer
.300 member

Reged: 27/12/08
Loc: USA
Re: New made Mausers? [Re: chuck375]
      #131709 - 07/04/09 03:37 PM

I dont think you could go wrong with a satterlee action

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4732

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com