Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Has anyone had a double action crack or stretch?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Has anyone had a double action crack or stretch?
      #127496 - 19/02/09 09:48 AM

I have heard a lot of talk about the strenth/weakness of specific double rifle actions, and shotgun actions converted to double rifles, and heard fear that some of them could crack at the base of the standing breech, where they get a lot of stress from firing, and/or that they could stretch at the hook. A Mr. Apel, head of the German Gun Collector's Association in the U.S.A., a gunmaker trained in Germany, and with many years of experience, has said that he has never seen such an action cracked in this way. An Australian, Ausie Pete, a few years ago told me that he had seen a few Holland and Holland actions stretched at hook, but never saw such a thing with a top bolted rifle, such as the rising bite Rigby. Has anyone seen a double, especially in sxs type, that had cracked at base of standing breech, or stretched in any way, or had any other damage done to it from firing? If you have, would you mind telling us what damage it had done to it, and what was done, if known, to create such damage? Too, tell us the make of action, or at least the type of lockup it had, its caliber, its approx. vintagte, etc., for our records.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
470evans
.333 member

Reged: 30/03/05
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Has anyone had a double action crack or stretch? [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #127498 - 19/02/09 11:07 AM

Here's a Holland Royal that was recently sold. It had a crack in the action that was welded up.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....rt=all&vc=1

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #127501 - 19/02/09 01:11 PM

Curly inspected a Mortimer 500BPE for me a couple of years ago and the action appeared to be stretched. He can say more about it than I.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #127503 - 19/02/09 01:17 PM

Dietrich Apel knows a lot of about bolt action rifles.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #127617 - 21/02/09 02:05 AM

doubleriflejack, I have seen many older double rifle actions bent, but none cracked. I believe the older doubles, especially the black powder, and nitro for black ones were made of softer steel, and when the smokeless powders came out no regard to the rifle’s strength was paid. Even the nitro-proofed doubles made in the 1900-1910 era have been ruined by overloads in this way.

The rifle has a tendency to “open” when fired even with proper loads, but if the load is proper the bar can bend a tiny amount, but recover to it’s original position after the pressure spike. If the bar bends more than the elastic properties of the steel, then the bar doesn’t return to it’s original position, and the rifle is now off face. This is the most rare, and most serious off face condition, of the two causes of off face condition.

The most common is not caused by shooting at all, but is caused by the owner’s poor care of the rifle’s mating surfaces. This is caused by wear on the face of the hook, and the hinge pin, and the sides of the lumps. This allows the barrels to move forward, away from the face of the standing breech. Wear on the draw on the sides of the lumps allows twist as one barrel is fired. All microscopically, but enough to make the off face condition apparent in case warping, and the feel of looseness, and will get progressively worse if not fixed!

The “doll’shead”, and the so-called “greener cross-bolt”, if properly fitted, and properly cared for will help in avoiding this tendency to open on firing. Side clips are also a plus in respect to twisting. The most “at risk” actions are the ones with no side clips, or third fastener like the cross-bolt, or doll’s-head. Some of the hidden third fasteners are useless, especially on the cheaper rifles. The “screw-grip” third fastener is a good one if properly fitted by the maker, but if it is not in conjunction with a doll’s head and the hook has not been well cared for it allows the steel to flex forward, but blocks upward rotation (opening) around the hinge pin. However if the screw grip fastener is in a doll’s head both types of movement are modified.

I would say the in the new double rifles, if the mating surfaces are properly lubricated and the loads are not hot-rodded the rifle will handle any proper load the rifle was chambered for by the maker. There is some worry about some of the older rifles, as to the quality of the steel, so that the owner must be very careful about how he cleans, and lubes the rifle, and very careful about the loads, and bullet types he uses in the older rifles. Some bullets will cause very high spikes in chamber pressure, and reverse thrust, both detrimental to older rifles.

Most failures in double rifles from pressure cause the barrel walls to go, not cause off face condition. This type damage is limited to chamber pressure, or spikes in pressure, but is sometimes because of the type of bullet being used! READ MONOLITHIC SOLIDS!

All in all, if a double rifle uses a load that is proper for it, and the care is proper, most double rifles will outlast you, and your great grand children. All this is long winded way of saying if the owner does his care, and feeding properly, he doesn't have to worry about his rifle coming off face anytime soon!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Has anyone had a double action crack or stretch? [Re: 470evans]
      #127629 - 21/02/09 05:17 AM

Quote:

Here's a Holland Royal that was recently sold. It had a crack in the action that was welded up.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....rt=all&vc=1

That is not my recollection of that thread.... perhaps I am mistaken and should re-read

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2439

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com