Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: No.1 casings catching on safety

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
BeltedMagnum
.224 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: New England
No.1 casings catching on safety
      #127500 - 19/02/09 01:07 PM

I was reading an article on another website that now has me questioning my decision to finally order that Ruger NO.1 on 450/400. It could have been a one gun issue, but there was a range report on a 375 Ruger where upon after firing and opening the action, the empty cartridge was hanging up on the safety. Already owning a NO.1 in .270 I can’t imagine a company of this quality would make this mistake. Looking at the gun and imaging a Much bigger hole, I am unsure of how they would avoid it. Any big bore NO.1 owners out there experience this issue? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows if you can swap out the stock rear sight with the "buffalo" heavy rear sight, I would appreciate any insight on that as well.

Belted

--------------------
Hunting Africa with Dad. Does it get any better?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: No.1 casings catching on safety [Re: BeltedMagnum]
      #127505 - 19/02/09 01:44 PM

Belted:

Year this issue was addressed inGuns and Ammo IIRC.

Anyway, the fix was easy. Remove the safety and grind a bevel on the leading edge. Give it a good rubdown with cold blue and the problem was said to be solved.

Why I remember this I cannot say, because I've never owned a No. 1!

Regardless, it sounds right, tho as you say, it seems ludicrous that a gun would be made for so long with such a strange, albeit minor, flaw.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

BeltedMagnum
.224 member

Re: No.1 casings catching on safety [Re: 9.3x57]
      #127516 - 19/02/09 02:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback. This really has me thinking now as would a flanged cartridge be more of an issue that the .375 Ruger? I guess it could be worse, it could be Belted..
Still, I hate to plop down that kind of money (significant to me anyway), only to then take it apart to fix something that shouldn't be broken.

Belted

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #127518 - 19/02/09 02:20 PM

Quote:

Still, I hate to plop down that kind of money (significant to me anyway), only to then take it apart to fix something that shouldn't be broken. Belted

Check out the CZ thread and you'll find around here, we saw, file, grind, pound and smack new guns all the time.

Warts! They all have warts!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

BeltedMagnum
.224 member

#127521 - 19/02/09 02:49 PM

Understood,I had thought that Ruger was above the level that "may need some tinkering" to get it working well. I am all to familiar with the tinkering to get it "just right", but have a hard time with tinkering to get it "just working" Strum, say it aint so...

Belted

--------------------

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #127545 - 19/02/09 08:27 PM

Quote:

would a flanged cartridge be more of an issue that the .375 Ruger? I guess it could be worse, it could be Belted..

Bite your tongue!!!

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
      #127550 - 19/02/09 09:32 PM

Quote:

Belted:

Year this issue was addressed inGuns and Ammo IIRC.

Anyway, the fix was easy. Remove the safety and grind a bevel on the leading edge. Give it a good rubdown with cold blue and the problem was said to be solved.

Why I remember this I cannot say, because I've never owned a No. 1!

Regardless, it sounds right, tho as you say, it seems ludicrous that a gun would be made for so long with such a strange, albeit minor, flaw.

9.3 is absolutly correct in his assessment.

I had to do just that on my 6mmBR conversion. It is a silly fault that could have been designed out early on.

Regards

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: No.1 casings catching on safety [Re: Bramble]
      #127556 - 20/02/09 01:54 AM

I think the idea is that the case does not eject into your eye be you so stupid as to drop the lever while shouldering the rifle.

I've had mine beveled.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: No.1 casings catching on safety [Re: bonanza]
      #127561 - 20/02/09 03:24 AM

I like the case stopping on the safety. Allows me to pick it off and put the empty back in to the box, pull out another and blow another gopher apart.

If hanging on the safety bothers you, when a fix is so easy, what about having to bed the rifle's forewood in glass to get it to shoot? What about the drilling and tapping in an 8x32 or 10x32 screw in the hanger to allow 'adjustment' or removing the 1/4 rib and grinding, filing off about .010" from it's back edge to prevent binding on the front of the action when the barrel heats up, thus causing double or vertical grouping - or the miriad of 'other' fixes that have been developed to make a #1 shoot.

Some #1's need nothing and the .375's usually fit that boat. The other large calibres may hld that trait - I hope so. Other's, well, there's lots can be done to make them shoot. Mine does - but it was a lot of tinkering - some times it's necessary, just as 9.3x57 said.

$1,000 is a lot for me for a rifle - I only have a couple in that range or higher - yeah, I'm poor, disabled - Oh Well, life's a "B" - sometimes - but - count your blessings and get to work - it's a relatively inexpensive rifle but WHAT a RIFLE. I love mine - it's a classic.

Belted cases are not needed on any shouldered, 'modern round post 1908 or earlier. The new range of magnums shows this for those still think the belt does anything other than allowing companies to be sloppy making brass - and they are with belted brass cases. sloppy in chambering and shoulder placement on the case. The 'original', first .375 had no shoulder and needed a belt - even the sloping shouldered .300 H&H and small shouldered .375H&H don't 'need' them - it's just a 'fix' for a non-existant problem. The .35 Rem, .35 Whelen, .375 Whelen and .400 Whelen don't need belts, yet they have less shoulder than either of the H&H rounds. One merely has to know how to handload ammo or in the case of the first two - shoot factory.

Be careful out there, it's a jungle.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
Re: No.1 casings catching on safety [Re: DarylS]
      #127586 - 20/02/09 02:19 PM

I have 2 #1s a .375 and a .300 WM, both catch on the safety, I personally like it since I don't need to look around for any ejected rounds. It may not be right? but I've talked myself out of modifying the safety several times. --- John S.

tkv000
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/08
      #127587 - 20/02/09 02:22 PM

Its defiantly an issue with the two Ruger No. 1's I own, one is a International full stock in 30-06, and the other is a Tropical Stainless in 375H&H, I've fixed the International by beveling the front of the safety (no pictures to show, sorry) But I haven't fixed the 375 as of yet, should be an easier fix because its stainless (?).

Lots of people prefer the shell to hit the safety so they can save the casing, I reload, so thats a valid point, however, you can tune the ejector into an extractor, that will do the same thing. Its a design flaw, and the only part of the Ruger No.1 I don't like, the rifle otherwise handles smoothly, balances great, and both mine are great shooters.

***Note, the CUSTOM inletted safety is not mine, but I thought I would post the picture as its a great example of how the safety SHOULD have been from Ruger***

Heres some pictures that illustrate the issue (Snap cap in place of real shell because its easier to see)

Hope these help.

--------------------
"…and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him,"

Blank
.224 member

Reged: 10/12/07
Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Re: No.1 casings catching on safety [Re: tkv000]
      #127590 - 20/02/09 03:41 PM

I bought my Ruger as a DG rifle to take on my Zim hunt this year. This was the very first thing I noticed about my #1 in 450/400, when I started shooting it and that was unacceptable. Ground off 1/8" from the front of it and cold blued, problem solved and all is good. Also took that ugly rocker look off it.

I wear a couple extras in a wristband shellholder and I want that case clear, when I go to shove another in the pipe in a hurry!

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: No.1 casings catching on safety [Re: Blank]
      #127603 - 20/02/09 10:30 PM

Hi tkv000,

Quote:

one is a International full stock in 30-06,

I've been admiring these for some time. Please tell me about yours. Is the accuracy good? How about velocity? Thanks in anticipation.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

DarylS
.700 member

Re: No.1 casings catching on safety [Re: Tatume]
      #127643 - 21/02/09 08:36 AM

I like the inlet safety a LOT! My .218 doesn't stick up that much, or perhaps due to the actual round and method of shooting, it's not a problem. I am considering re-barreling to 9.3x74 and will probably address the safety at that time - no big deal.

--------------------
Daryl

tkv000
.300 member

Re: No.1 casings catching on safety [Re: Tatume]
      #127681 - 22/02/09 02:23 AM

Quote:

Hi tkv000,

Quote:

one is a International full stock in 30-06,

I've been admiring these for some time. Please tell me about yours. Is the accuracy good? How about velocity? Thanks in anticipation.

Because of the full stock, the rifle heats up with rapid shots (not that its a rapid shot rifle) but that can cause the POI to wonder a bit. For what I use it for (Coyote shooting) its a EXCELLENT rife. It shoots "Minute Of Coyote" all day long. I actually prefer the iron sights on this one. I mounted a scope but removed after, it added weight and not that much accuracy (its a throw in on the back when hiking gun, not my 400 yard gopher gun. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. This one is my best balancing rifle. I handled everyone in the store, and the international was by far the best, the other rugers (including my Tropical) Seemed a bit end heavy. One of my favorite rifles, expressly now that I fixed the safety.

--------------------
"…and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him,"

BeltedMagnum
.224 member

#127700 - 22/02/09 06:42 AM

Thank you all for the advise. I am surely thinking if this is the best way to go, seeing that I have a NO 1 that I am happy with already. Just found a line on a custom Weatherby V in .458. Just when you think you have your mind made up, someone throws a curve ball at you. I greatly appreciate all of the advise, I am lucky to have found a forum where there are such knowledgeable folks and are willing to share what they know.

Oh, and JabaliHunter, just for the record, I was joking about the "it could be worse" belted comment. As you may have guessed by my screen name, I have a fondness for belted cartridges. Some may disagree with belted rounds, but my 375 H&H and 7mm rem mag, as a 2 gun combo has not failed me yet.

Belted

--------------------

bonanza
.400 member

#127708 - 22/02/09 08:25 AM

I like the belted case for headspacing.

--------------------

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"Yo! Mr. White"

Bramble
.375 member

#127718 - 22/02/09 10:48 AM

Well I vote for the #1

DarylS
.700 member

#127720 - 22/02/09 11:33 AM

Quote:

I like the belted case for headspacing.

The only rounds today that need belts are the straight ones without rims, ie: .450 Marlin, .458 WM, .458 Lott, .450 Watts - oops, that's not a modern one, but the original .458 Lott.

Putting a belt on a case that will headspace perfectly off the shoulder is just anther 'thing' to sell - it does nothing to help.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

--------------------
Daryl

bonanza
.400 member

#127723 - 22/02/09 12:03 PM

.375 H&H won't head space the shoulder.

Why would you want to head space on the shoulder anyhow? That requires such a tight chamber. A chamber with a wee bit of slop (not headspace) insures the cartridge will always go in.

--------------------

"Yo! Mr. White"

tkv000
.300 member

#127724 - 22/02/09 12:07 PM

Quote:

Well I vote for the #1

Bramble,

What is on the end of your Ruger No 1? Is that a can? (ie suppressor?) To cool!

--------------------

Bramble
.375 member

#127725 - 22/02/09 01:08 PM

Yes it's a big "Wildcat" moderator/silencer. It takes off a lot of the blast if rabbiting or foxing. Of course it cant aid the crack. It also helps a lot as a muzzel break and you can stay on target even at 20 mag.
I built it a couple of years ago in 6mm BR Norma to take the mickey out of friends of mine that shoot "Tactical" matches. It runs a 1:7 Lilja match barrel and is throated for 107Gn Lapua moly Scenars. It is scary accurate, the gun is better than I am for sure.
I entered the McQueens match at Bisley in 2007 and placed 6th out of 60 ish competetors. 10 shots 2 seconds exposure 5 seconds away time @ 200 yds random positions in the castle (set of 8 windows).
There were a lot of side bets that it couldent be done with a single shot. (They shoot AW's, Styer SSG's and the like)

It is also great fun as a "varmint" gun if a little expensive for rabbits. It will shoot 57 grain V-max @ around 4000 fps.
I can also get it deer legal for England but I have to run the pressure above book max, but that is the good thing abouts #1's they are built like a bank vault. It is very unsporting for deer though, it is just a sit at dawn and shoot them in the head proposition.

Regards

BeltedMagnum
.224 member

#127802 - 23/02/09 08:51 AM

Thanks Bramble, now I have two No. 1s on my list. One of these days I'll stop adding to that list. Just not today.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5727

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com