Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: ATI Mauser 98 scope base and rail.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
RHB
.300 member

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: India
ATI Mauser 98 scope base and rail.
      #126675 - 11/02/09 06:32 PM

http://www.atigunstocks.com/products.aspx?category=40&page=1&id=41

Has anyone used this product? If so, I would like to know how you rate it.

For those who do not want to drill and tap their actions, this could be a solution. Be sure to have a look at the additional images and installation instructions.

Thanks.

Rustam

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: ATI Mauser 98 scope base and rail. [Re: RHB]
      #126997 - 14/02/09 05:34 PM

Hi again Rustam

Following on from your thread re a Hogue stock for your Type A. Had a look at the link you posted, interesting product but gee bloody ugly and would you really want that sort of scope mount sitting on a nice Type A. Okay to use with a replacement stock but you wouldn't want to hack into the factory original to get the clearances for the scope mount. I gather you planned on using something like this product with a synthetic stock.

As mentioned earlier I have mounted a low profile Weaver single base (#62) bridging the receiver (2 holes tapped and threaded) to the small shelf on the rear of the English safari sight ( 1 hole drilled and tapped). The ExR 2x Leupold is mounted in original low Weaver rings (in the "scout" position) with the rear of the scope protruding about half way back over the receiver leaving plenty of room to easily thumb in rounds to the magazine for rapid reloading if required.

With the scope removed the Weaver base "wings" exactly match the height and width profile of the rear safari sight i.e. the base is not a distraction when using the open sights, if anything it enhances the sight picture. The 2x Leupold has a duplex reticle suitable for longer range precision aiming while being just as good for close in stuff with both eyes open. There used to be (maybe still is) a 4x ExR Leupold which of course would be even better for shots over 100m if wanting to use the rifle on smaller game.

Admittedly my setup has required drilling 3 holes in the action/sight area but in my case the rifle is not perfectly original in that it was a Type A 10.75 x 68 opened up to a 404J, so from a pure collectors point of view may not be the done thing. At least the bolt is still able to be used without modification. Keep in mind that other than Rigby, most of the other English manufacturers fine Mausers were opened up from standard M98 actions to suit the larger cartridges and these seem to be perfectly collectable.
I have used the rifle on Aussie Buffalo (numerous) and also a few red deer and goats here in NZ (350gr RWS soft flat nosed projectiles for them) so it is a working rifle and there is probably a few stories from Africa this gun could tell.

You have a nice gun there Rustam, set it up well, keep it looking good, and use it.

Cheers.

RHB
.300 member

Re: ATI Mauser 98 scope base and rail. [Re: eagle27]
      #127060 - 15/02/09 03:03 AM

Hi Eagle and thank you very much for your reply.

It has been a week today since the cataract was removed from the right (aiming) eye and the daily progress has been astounding. I have been wearing spectacles since I was a child and I honestly cannot recall seeing images with such clarity...ever! And I am told this will only get better in the coming weeks.

The front bead still appears as a ghost image but this is diminishing everyday and though the implanted lens is for distance, I am told my eyes are relatively young enough (I am 43) to accomodate intermediate range objects, especially if I keep my left eye open whilst aiming. The doctor tells me it will take another two to three weeks before the vision in my right eye reaches its full potential. Considering the above and the fact that I enjoy using open sights and love the way the rifle handles in its original configuration I do not think I will be changing anything. At the most I will get a stock made that is an exact copy of the original and use that so as to protect the original.

In the unfortunate event that I do need a scope I will buy the ATI mount base and a laminated stock. I have ditched the idea of using a synthetic stock.

It isn't important now but herewith three pictures of some configurations I was toying with before I found the ATI mount base.

Option 3b was my prefered choice as it would allow me to use the present safety comfortably and quickly. The scopes shown in option 3a and 3b have an eye-relief of 6". The FOV is adequate with the scope in option 3b. The scout rifle set-up did not really appeal to me, not with this rifle anyway and I doubt Jeff Cooper would mind.

"You have a nice gun there Rustam, set it up well, keep it looking good, and use it."

Thank you. I will. Especially when civilians (barring top-notch competition shooters) are only allowed to own three firearms and are lucky to even have one. The Mauser is my third and after reading all those posts about hunting in the NT, especially Marrakai's, I am coming down with a severe case of doublegunitis.

Edited by RHB (15/02/09 02:07 PM)

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #127084 - 15/02/09 07:09 AM

Hi
That sounds a good idea and I must admit I like using open sights for close in or bush shooting. Have done so when using my Shultz and Larsen 7x61 in Fiordland (our Elk and Moose country) instead of the 6x Kahles scope normally adorning the rifle.
I know the forward mounted scout scope is not to everyones liking. Best wishes with recovery from your eye operation, at your age you have a ton of years yet before age catches up with your eyesight.

Cheers.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #127118 - 15/02/09 12:34 PM

Rustam,

Why don't you ask your ophthalmologist to put yu in touch with an optician who cold make spectacles with progressive lenses with a faster transition from distance to near vision like the Hoya Compact or Essilor Compact designs? You should be able to use them with an open sighted rifle with no trouble whatsoever . . .

Cheers, buddy!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

RHB
.300 member

Re: ATI Mauser 98 scope base and rail. [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #127127 - 15/02/09 02:35 PM

Thank you, Eagle.

Hi Mehul! The opthalmic consultant and surgeon happen to be Eljefe's sister and brother-in-law, so I was able to talk quite freely on the subject. We have discussed progressive lenses and a decision will be taken two or three weeks from now.

However, I had done some independent reading and I am not entirely certain if this will work well. As a righty I would be looking through the top left part of the lens and this is meant for distance rather than intermediate range. See the diagram at http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/progressives.htm

The docs know my requirements and I am sure they will come up with an appropriate solution. Can't wait to put the right peeper to some good use. Keep well.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#127154 - 15/02/09 06:37 PM

Rustam,

My mother's business fits hundreds of pairs of progressives every year and there are a few basic details that you need to work out with an optometrist - preferrrably NOT an Ophthalmologist because they do not have the technical skills to de-center and fit any lenses. A lot of the MRC crowd would come to my parents for their work and they would have them bring whatever gun they wanted to use along. I am sure that a similar approach would help. Some suggestions:

1. If you use wide corridor progressives in order to get a somewhat wider field of intermediate and near vision, the progression would also be more gradual and the lens would have to have a larger diameter than a narrow corridor progressive lens. This would mean that you would need to get the lenses mounted on a larger frame and the progression from distance vision (focusing on the front sight and the target) through the rear leaves would be difficult

2. Hoya and American Optical (who are now owned by some Japanese company) and Essilor of France (who invented progressives) make progressive lenses for the Asian markets which are small in order to accomodate smaller Chinese / Japanese faces. Being smaller, the lenses have a mroe rapid progression between the distance, intermediate and near segments and can be mounted on smaller frames. For your purpose, they would have the three distances closer together and allow for more easy acquisition of a sight picture when you shoot

3. Normally, in fitting progressives, opticians mark the lenses so that the progression begins parallel to the lower eyelid and then goes on downwards and converges a little to follow the path that the eyes would take while looking at close ojects. When you get progressives fitted for your rifle, if your optician will not get a heart attack, take the rifle with you to the store and have him mark the segment height on a former so that it is about a millimeter or slightly more higher than he would mark it if you were not getting the lenses fitted for shooting. If you want me to talk to the optometrist, I would be happy to do this

4. I would also suggest that you have one pair of spectacles for shooting alone and get a separate pair for regular wear - trying to get both to do the same job would only make you uncomfortable. They cannot do this, too, for the reasons that I have just described. Also make sure that your shooting spectacles are hard coated if you use CR 39, NS 200 or Polycarbonate lenses and toughened if you use glass ones

I am not sure what is available or not available in India at the moment. Some years ago most opticians there used ISraeli Shamir or Eyal progressives and you had some occasional supplies of Hoya compacts, Essilor or Kodak lenses come in. Import laws and similar make availability a bit iffy - Asif's sister and brother in law should be able to guide you on this. If they have any difficulty procuring the right kind of blanks, ask your brother to buy the blanks and send them from the UK for processing in Bangalore. I can tell you where he could get them in the UK. Just make sure that the lenses are NOT fitted anywhere other than where you can supervise them. Post cataract and IOL implant vision is usually very good as far as distance vision is concerned. Near vision can be iffy, though, if the decentration and fitting are not done properly

Cheers!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

RHB
.300 member

#127169 - 15/02/09 08:38 PM

Mehul,

Lot of information there. Thanks! I will jot it down and show it Eljefe's sister and b-i-l and have them jot down their own instructions for the optometrist before heading in that direction.

I haven't gone for a formal comp since 2003 and have sold off most of that gear. My requirements are different from the paper punching crowd, so if I do have to wear spectacles the lens will have to show the bead and rear leaf, particularly the former, in sharp focus. I could live with a temporary slight bluriness of the target at the time of aiming because I am used to that. So, do you still feel I should get two sets of glasses?

Speaking of fishing, I am almost certain that the UV radiation caused the cataracts (the one in the left eye isn't as bad) as I have never used eye protection other than my regular spectacles. As I do not want to repeat the mistake again, I have been reading up on dark glasses that are 100% UV rated and have settled on Polaroids. The lens material is tougher than polycarbonate, it polarises and is 100% UV rated for UV - A, B & C. Last but not least, they are cheaper than the big name brands. What is your opinion on this brand, if any.

Thanks.

P.S.: Since we have gone way off topic on this thread, please shunt it to an appropriate sub-forum.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#127195 - 16/02/09 01:54 AM

Rustam,

If you're not going to do the ISSF routines then a single pair would be perfect. No need to worry about having the wrong pair with you when you go somewhere and so on. BTW you can get progressive polaroids from Kodak and possibly some others as well, in case you want one pair of spectacles for everything. They used to be expensive in India but are not really all that expensive over here. If you plan on using Polaroid sunglasses (and not your progressives) for your fishing, just buy a set of cheap disposable readers which you would need to tie the hooks to your line, bait the hoks etc and keep them in your tackle case.

And the cataract could be due to any number of reasons. Don't blame the fishing for it. Yes, UV exposure causes it, but there are other factors like genetics, tobacco use etc that can accelerate the process. I doubt that anyone can pinpoint one single factor as the cause of all cataracts.

Cheers!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

RHB
.300 member

#127260 - 16/02/09 12:38 PM

Hi Mehul,

Clear progressive polaroids for general use plus shooting and a tinted pair for driving and fishing sounds just about right.

Many thanks.

Rustam

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3433

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com