Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Loads for 375 H&H

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Loads for 375 H&H
      #1271 - 25/01/03 11:32 PM

Im thinking of buying a Winchester modell 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H.

For the loads i'm thinking of 300 grains barnes solid and Swift A-frame and as a lighter 210 grains Barnes X.

Pleas give comments both to bullets and gun. My aim would be to have the same scope for all bullets, just varying distancec for centering.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Loads for 375 H&H [Re: cchunter]
      #1285 - 26/01/03 01:11 PM

Christer

I'll put some loads here for you, but virtually all my loads use an Australian propellant, ADI (Aust Defence Industries). The powders are equivalent to some Dupont IMR powders and I see which ones are equivalent.

Sounds like a good idea.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
      #1295 - 27/01/03 04:55 AM

Christer

I guess you want to use if for buffalo's, but it might take a while

I would suggest 300 or 350 grain solids for the big game.
I used 250, 260 and 270 grain bullets im my old 375. the 250 are really grweat and are quite close to a 300 win mag in velocity, the 270 grainers are simular to a 3006.

I have heard that with todays permium bullets there is not an immidiate need for solids. Ross Seyfired recommended 270 grains win failsafe, which is a very good bullet.

I would not go under 250 grains in weight for the light bullet in a 375, it can be quite hard to find a good selsection of bullets that are lighter. There is also a 380 grain solid rhino shank what would be a nice compliment. Ohh, soem of the lighter bullets are made fro 375 win and simular and can be quite weak. the 375 H&H came with 253, 270 and 300 grain loads from the begining, the 253 were not popular since it were very soft. I will go thru my old reloading manuals and see what I can find.

/ JOHAN

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

PC3
.224 member

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Victoria Australia
Re: Loads for 375 H&H [Re: NitroX]
      #1317 - 27/01/03 11:45 PM

CChunter,

I opted for a cz 550 for my .375. I have also chosen the Hornady 300 gr Round Nose as my #1 projectile and #2 will be the woodleigh 300 gr Round Nose. I hope to get them both to shoot to the same poi.

I did a tiny bit of work with the speer 235 gr bullets but I just feel the .375 was meant to be shot with 300 gr bullets

And I seperate my rifles power levels by bullet weight.

so I have;

30/06-180gr
.375-300gr
.416-410gr

Sought of trying to step up by 100 gr of bullet weight in each instance.

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #1322 - 28/01/03 03:04 AM

CCHunter,

I've experimented quite a bit with the 375 and various bullet weights not so much becaseu of playing around but becasue I had to find something that could fit between my 303 and the 375 H&H.

And so came the testing of the 210 grain BarnesX almost as long as the 270 grain Hornady spitzer and you can push it too over 3000 fps with the correct powders. Big game long range load if you ask me. I have some 350 grainers lying at a friend of mine but I jjust need to get sometime to try them out I hope to get around 2350-2400 fps if possible I don't see why as I can push a 286 grain Mono Solid at 2600 fps and it has lot more bearing surface than the 350 grainers. That will almost place the 375 in the 416 category !
To me the 375 is just the best all rounder you can get if loaded properly. I just love my 375 what can I say !

Loads
210 grain barnesX 2950 fps
270 grain Spitzer Hornady 2600 fps
286 grain PMP Mono solid 2600 fps
300 grain Hornady RN 2500 fps
300 grain Hornady solid 2500 fps

Experimeting with duplex loads we have managed to push the 270 grainers to 2700 fps without pressure !

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #2266 - 31/03/03 12:22 PM

This may come across as blasphemy, but I can't reload as good as the Remington Safari Grade 375 H&H with the 300 grain Swift. In both my rifles (Model 70's) no 3 shot group at 100 yards exceeds 1 inch. By the way, when I was fire forming cases for my 375 Ackley Improved, I used this same factory loading, and still got 1 inch groups!

Miller
.275 member

Reged: 01/05/03
Loc: Sydney, NSW AUS
Re: Loads for 375 H&H [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #2618 - 04/05/03 07:07 PM

CCHunter,

That is my baby, I have an early Super Express Classic, which has the barrel lug for the front sling swivel instead of the barrel band. Mine also has the Monte Carlo stock, which I do not like the looks of but shoots very comfortably after a bit of tweaking. I have a beautiful blank for a stock but I never took the time to make it since I was having too much fun shooting it instead.

As for loads, I cannot speak from an experience about performance on dangerous game, but as for accuracy, I can put any bullet in it and keep five shots touching at 100yds. I have shot groups as small as 1/2" with Serria 250gr. I have found that it will throw most loads into the same group with a little vertical spread due differences in velocity.

I lapped my barrel as soon as I received it, which I do to all my rifles, printed the inletting to make sure there was no uneven pressure, and made sure all the action screws were the same torque. Honed the trigger and set it to break cleanly at 3lbs. I installed a set of Warne QR lever mounts(the old style) with rings on 2 scopes a Burris Signature Series 6X and a Bausch & Lomb 2-8X. Both scopes can be used interchangably, and return exactly to zero everytime. I rebuilt the iron sights with the factory ramps and islands lapped to match the barrel contour exactly, with the intent to silver solder them on, but I have not found the time yet so they are still just screwed on. I made my own shallow V-blade for the rear sight and a big front bead and sighted it in to put full house 300gr Swift A-frames dead on the money at 25yds. I have considered lopping the barrel to 22" but I am not sure I want to give up the velocity, and it is a bit hard put the 2" back on if I do not like the result!!!

The next things I will do to it, once I get it to Australia, is to lap the action, including the lugs, both action and bolt, true the bolt face, so that it work as slick as a snake's tongues. Also run it through very severe paces to work out any feeding problems and any other little gremlins that may want to show their faces at the moment of truth.

Of course, eventually, I will make a new stock which will include a drop magazine to add one more round and some cast-off and stock dimensions to give that perfect fit for instinctive shooting. I will strip the bluing, buff and card the metal work and rust blue the whole thing, mounts and rings included. Replace the 2 scopes with a Burris Signature Series Safari 1.75-5X mounted on my own design of quick release mounts, that include the bases lapped and silver soldered to the receiver.

That should just about do it, then it will be time to start on the 7X57 to match.

I find it a very comfortable rifle to shoot even with full-house loads, and recommend it very highly.

Lynn Miller

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2468

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com