Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Percussion breech design

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
Dphariss
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana
Percussion breech design
      #127070 - 15/02/09 04:41 AM

Shooter protection built into the breech was mentioned by Daryl in the ".72 Kodiak..." thread.

For anyone wondering what Daryl meant by shooter protection should look here.
http://trackofthewolf.com/(S(02cdtvv5v3v...partNum=AAF-781

Note the high fence that prevents anything from coming back at the shooter.
The vintage design is RIGHT and provides maximum shooter protection. It would be easy for anyone to recreate this but they will not. So the buyer should ask "why?". Its because the people who designed these reproduction ML doubles back in the 60s were CLUELESS or had a breech of this sort available left over from some African trade shotgun or ??? and copied it rather than go to the expense of copying a truely good breech.

Another, this American marked in 8 bore.
http://trackofthewolf.com/(S(bty2oqnmgag...partNum=AAF-649
In fact look at any of the vintage doubles on TOWs site.

Then look here at the breech on this page.
http://www.geocities.com/gunversation/beasts/beasts.htm

Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Percussion breech design [Re: Dphariss]
      #127083 - 15/02/09 07:05 AM

Good post Dan. People need to see what a properly designed cap-lock breech looks like.

The first link didn't work for me, but the 8 bore does as well as the Pedersoli link. Comparing the two certainly shows the design ineficiencies of the Italian gun and actual danger of this gun's lock/fence design. It has good fences, but they are for show only as the nipples are proud of the fences and thus the fences provide nothing to the safety of the shooter. The very essence of a fence is to provide safety from flying cap fragments - their very reason for being. To provide a fence that does nothing, is to attempt to snow-job the prospective buyer.

I recently attempted to make a 'trade' for a .58 cal. double-gun Pedersoli. I wanted to experiment with that gun to find if the breeches could be 'repaired' as well as an attempt to 'regulate' it to single sight use with round balls. Unfortuntely, the 'deal' fell through. I was even prepared to trade a Ruger #1 or a $1,500 valued Penn. Flintlock rifle for it, just to complete my experiments. Oh well.

The first picture is of the H Whall, approximately 1860'ish, ball and shot gun. It is .75 cal.(11 bore), smoothbore, without rear sight, but has much heavier breeches than needed for a shot gun. It's weight at 10 pounds for a single also spells out it's original intent as a ball gun also capable of shooting shot. It shoots well with a .715" lead ball, either pure lead or WW alloy, with a .020" denim patch. It patterns well to 30yards with 1 1/8Oz. shot and normal card, fibre and "B" overshot wads. I borrowed this gun for some smoothbore competions at a 10 day rendezvous a few years back. I even won a second or third with it in a conbined shot and ball event, never having fired it before the 'shoot'.

The second gun is a 'modern' 'repro' with a properly designed breech - showing good breeches are eaisly available. There is no need to produce unsafe guns. Both the H.Whall and the modern made muzzleloaders need spent caps to be pried from the nipples as the hammers don't lift off the cap when fired. Due to having good leaf mainsprings, not coils, normal loads in the 3 dram arena react like a sealed breech. Heavy round ball loads will allow slight gas excape which lifts a couple petals of the cap for easy removal. At no time are there cap fragments flying, which happens with cheap locks like the Pedersoli's, TC et'al.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: Percussion breech design [Re: DarylS]
      #127097 - 15/02/09 09:23 AM

Thanks Dphariss and Daryl.
Now I can underestand exactly what Daryl was talking about when he said the shield of my Kodiak rifle was not correclty made.
I will take note for my double rifle proyect.
Thanks
Martin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2197

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com