Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Top engravers?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Top engravers?
      #127032 - 14/02/09 11:50 PM

So following on from the discussion of top collectable DRs, who are the best engravers, what are their specialities and what guns do they work on?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Top engravers? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #127035 - 14/02/09 11:53 PM

Kell, Purdey's, Hollands

Some of Kell's students from his studio are
pretty damn good from some of the work i have seen.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Top engravers? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #127037 - 15/02/09 12:01 AM

Jabali, I saw a .577 in Hollands the other day and the rhino, lion, leopard and elephant were the best I have ever seen, only the nose on the Cape Buff needed 3 or 4 more scratches IMO but it was the best I have seen on an animal basis, Pat told me the guys name, I believe it was Alan Portsmouth. Game birds, my favourite is Stefan Pedretti, can he do a partridge !!
best
Mike

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Top engravers? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #127038 - 15/02/09 12:14 AM

I don't think there is a singular name that can be attached to the title of Best Engraver. There are so many styles of engraving and each one has a "best name" attached to it. English scroll? Game scene? Deep relief? Bank note? There are even variations within these from the Italians, English, and Germans. Each one can easily be titled as the world's best, in my opinion. I'm not an expert on engraving, and it's a choice I couldn't make, but I always know when I see it.

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (15/02/09 12:51 PM)

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Top engravers? [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #127040 - 15/02/09 12:27 AM

Sorry to pervert the intent of this thread but ...

Were one to find an engraver who could portray animals well, would it be crazy investment-wise to commemorate game bagged on an African hunt on an 'umble Heym 88PH?

Cheers
- Paul

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Top engravers? [Re: Paul]
      #127049 - 15/02/09 02:00 AM

paul

it would not be a very good option for you because it has to be annealed, engraved and rehardned everytime you would want something new.

best

peter

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Top engravers? [Re: peter]
      #127064 - 15/02/09 03:36 AM

It would be kind of neat to have your animals on the rifle. As Peter said though, you better wait and do all of them at once.

Unless you had nice trophies it wouldn't help resale. An engraving of a 20# PAC Ele or a 32" Buff wouldn't be to impressive.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Top engravers? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #127114 - 15/02/09 12:23 PM

I am with Jerry on this - engraving is subjective. I found a FEGA album on the net and anyone who enjoys engraving would enjoy it. Of course, it is a matter of pride for me that my good friends Dr Ka'imiloa Chrisman and his very talented wife Mrs Kehau are in it with samples of work that they did on a Nicolas Boutet pistol that they are restoring.

Talent does not confine itself to one country or to a few firms. There are great engravers in several countries - the USA and Italy are definitely among them.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Top engravers? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #127150 - 15/02/09 06:05 PM

Annealing, Peter? I hadn't thougtht of that. Does that threaten the strength of the action at all?

No, Mickey, I wouldn't worry about showing the actual specimens, just representatives of the species taken. Anyway, if I got enough DG to fill the panels, I mightn't have enough money left for such a project, after paying trophy fees and taxidermy costs.

Having gone to the trouble you'd feel bad ever having to sell, so I take it after-market engraving is a questionable investment at the best of times.

- Paul

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Top engravers? [Re: Paul]
      #127171 - 15/02/09 09:02 PM

Quote:

Annealing, Peter? I hadn't thougtht of that. Does that threaten the strength of the action at all?

- Paul

not, if you have it rehardened to the same strenght after the engraving. if you dont, you might get a nasty supprice.

the engravers usually has somebody that they work with to do both the annealing and rehardening.

best regards

peter

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Reged: 21/06/08
Loc: Diana, TX
Re: Top engravers? [Re: peter]
      #127310 - 17/02/09 01:31 AM

You could add false sideplates that would showcase the animals and cover the action with scroll/ornament. That way you would only need to send the engraver the sidepllate to add your next animal.

My favorite engravers are Sam Alfano, Phil Coggan, The Brown Brothers, Sam Welch, Winston Churchill and Alain Lovenberg. Of the above names, Sam Welch is going to be your best bet to get anything done. The others are either not accepting outside work or are so backed up it would be years to get the work complete.

--------------------
www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3076

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com