Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope question #2

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Scope question #2
      #126730 - 12/02/09 06:26 AM

1.25 x 4

or

2 x 7

for .375 H&H

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Scope question #2 [Re: bonanza]
      #126733 - 12/02/09 06:55 AM

2-7 or vx3 2.5-8. A little more money but better glass, coatings, etc... and still a relatively small package.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Scope question #2 [Re: new_guy]
      #126763 - 12/02/09 01:06 PM

Leupold doesn't make a 1.25x4 that I know of, so are you looking at other brands?

I have found that a leupold 1.5x5x20mm VariXIII, a 1" scope, to be an excellent scope for a 375H&H. I'd bet the VXIII is a bit better, but know first hand. It would be fine for 99% of all shooting and hunting, but it is weak in very low light. No issue in the US, as far as I'm concerned, given 1/2 hour before sun up and 1/2 hour after sunset restrictions. But not the scope for leopard or lion hunting, maybe not for bear over bait in the woods either.

I have heard of problems getting the 2.5x8 to fit long magnum bolt actions, same witht the 2x7 VXII. I have one of each of these on my two 30-06's, and they are OK scopes. I think I prefer the 2x7, but ask me tomorrow and that could change, no real difference in preformance, imo.

The ideal scope for the 375 is for me either a 1.1x4x30mm S&B or the new 1x6 Swarovski, but these are pricey. For those who can stand the large objective bells, the 1.5x6 is perfect, and iirc, Kahles makes one and they are almost as good as the very pricey S&B or Swarovski for about 1/2 the $'s. I have both the 1.1x4x30mm S&B and the 1.25(?)x4x30mm Swarovski and the S&B is head and shoildrs better.

Hope this helps,

JPK

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Scope question #2 [Re: JPK]
      #126766 - 12/02/09 01:15 PM

Just had this question on another forum. I am a bit odd in that I have used a 2.5x8 Zeiss Conquest and a 3x9 Zeiss diavari on my last 2 375's. The low end is low enough, for what I am not sure I am not using them as a fighting gun, have always thought this statement makes no sense, and the top end is not ridiculous. The scopes are manageable sized and of impeccable quality.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #126768 - 12/02/09 01:29 PM

Quote:

1.25 x 4

or

2 x 7

for .375 H&H

Depends partially on what/where you will be hunting...just to play devils advocate, there are quite a few ways you could look at this...

Of the 1.5-5 or 1.75-6 in various makes I have, S&B as JPK mentioned, offers by far the best low light conditions scope...Swarovski is quite a bit better than Leupold again in low light which you might find on a leopard hunt...other than that, either would do fine..you also have to consider whether you want a dot, duplex (standard or heavy), etc..and again if you get too heavy of a duplex it can cover too much of the target at longer ranges..which are not common in Africa but they do occur..I have a heavy duplex on one of my .416's..and at 200 plus yards on an impala,..makes it more difficult to really "pick the spot"..

Again, if you were hunting more in S Africa and Namibia and I was using it primarily for plains game I would go no smaller than 1.75 to 6 and may choose the 2-7 or something in that range---if it fit the gun...think the Swarovski 1-6 is perfect but again, a bit on the heavy side---

If I was hunting in an area with dangerous game whether in Africa or in Alaska..would stick with one of the lower power scopes..have used 1.5 -5 or a 1.75-6 in Africa on numerous hunts..have never needed more...but on shots where more precision was needed I did use higher magnification, ie, croc brain shot..but really feel 5 or 6 power would have worked as well..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #126775 - 12/02/09 02:38 PM

JPK,

I actually have a 1.25 x 4 Swarovski, and before I mounted it on my new .375 was wondering if I made a poor choice (in magnification). It appears that the collective concurs that it's just fine.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
      #126803 - 12/02/09 09:55 PM

I use 2 Swarovski 1,25-4x24. One on my 9,3x74R O/U double and the other one (with illuminated reticle) on my Blaser 9,3x62. They're perfect for drive hunting, i.e. fast offhand shots at running game from (very) short distance to 100 m.

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Scope question #2 [Re: André]
      #126829 - 13/02/09 04:45 AM

I have a Ziess 1.5x6 on my 9.3x74. It has a rail and I would be willing to trade it for the equivalent scope, w/rail, in a 1x4 Swaro or S&B.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#126868 - 13/02/09 02:11 PM

Zenith 1.1–4 x 24 - 30mm S&B flashdot would be my first choice for this application.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #126871 - 13/02/09 02:23 PM

Quote:

JPK,

I actually have a 1.25 x 4 Swarovski, and before I mounted it on my new .375 was wondering if I made a poor choice (in magnification). It appears that the collective concurs that it's just fine.

Bonanza,

Great choice! You have an excellent scope, top of the line, in a power range that is very versatile to suit a very versatile cartridge. There are a few occasions when I thought greater magnification would be helpful (but never necessary,) more when I was glad to have all the field of view I could get.

BTW, if you look at Andre's photos, the illuminated reticle version is shown in the lower photo. You can see how tall the detachable illumination control and battery container is, and how big it is. I find that a bit of a pita. Good news is that with the attrachment unscrewed and the cap in place, it looks just like Andre's scope in the top photo, which is how it should look for 99.5% of hunting, until you are sitting in a blind over bait as the sun descends, or whatever. I think S&B got it better when they put the battery and controls into a third turret.

You will enjoy you Swaro!

{By the way, in my previous post I must have been suffering from a brain cramp, because both the Swaro and S&B have 24mm objective lenses and 30mm tubes and I managed to type that they had 30mm objectives. The Zenith that Gen'lwar refers to is the S&B that I have, and he got the objective lens size right.}

JPK

Edited by JPK (13/02/09 02:41 PM)

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #126892 - 13/02/09 07:36 PM

Quote:

I think S&B got it better when they put the battery and controls into a third turret.

I agree. The ugliest are the ones mounted on the ocular bell and swaro's Z6i is not a vast improvement aesthetically IMHO

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: Scope question #2 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #126897 - 13/02/09 08:06 PM

A scope to watch out for later in the year is the March (Deon optic - Japan) 1-10x35. I believe it will have illuminated reticles Designed for the tactical market (i.e. tough) it is apparently the 1st scope to achieve a 10x zoom ratio. Apparently created quite a buzz from military types at he SHOT show. If the optics are anything to compare with the F class/target scopes it should be amazing - March/Deon are gaining a reputation in target circles for surpassing even Nightforce. Expensive, but may be the ultimate scope for .375 and .416 rifles ? who knows - I wait with baited breath! Also a 2.5-25x42 for all you sheep hunters!

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: Scope question #2 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #126898 - 13/02/09 08:07 PM

Not much info around yet, but found this:

Revolutionary March 1:10 Ratio Zooms Amaze Optics Experts
March pulled off a major coup at SHOT Show. The new March 1-10×35mm and 2.5-25×42mm zooms were the talk of the Show. This is the first time ANY major manufacturer has been able to achieve a 10 times zoom ratio. March’s booth was mobbed as engineers from other optics companies came to see how March “achieved the impossible”. And the optics guys had to fight past a line-up of military personnel — from the USA, Canada, Israel, and Germany. Lou Murdica was there and he reports: “Once word of these scopes hit the show’s Tactical area, March had more military and law enforcement people from the U.S. and other countries than you could imagine.”

Apparently, the U.S. Military has been asking domestic manufacturers to perfect a 1-10X zoom for years, and the response was always: “It can’t be done.” Well, starting from a blank page, the engineers at Japans’ DEON Optical Design Corp. (makers of the March), figured it out. For the military this is a HUGE technical breakthrough because a 1-power optic is ideal for close quarters combat (or house-clearing) while 10-power is a good setting for long-range sniper work. The two 1:10 ratio zooms both feature 1/4 MOA clicks, illuminated plex or MTR2 reticles, 30mm tubes, and a huge elevation range: 180 MOA for the 1-10×35 and 100 MOA for the 2.5-25×42. Both these scopes are slated for June 2009 deliveries. The 1-10×35 scope is expected to sell for $1500.00 while the 2.4-25×42 will cost about $2400.00

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Scope question #2 [Re: André]
      #126899 - 13/02/09 08:41 PM

Nice O/U rifle, Andre, but do you find such a large overhang/leverage on the scope makes it fragile or prone to changes of impact?

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
Re: Scope question #2 [Re: Paul]
      #126922 - 14/02/09 01:32 AM

I never had a problem in over 3 decades of hunting. Offhand shooting with head erect dictates the scope overhang. The latter + rail are quite rigid though, and the claw mounts are the sturdiest and most reliable in existence (also the most expensive, BTW). Then, I must add that this is not a knockabout gun. It's only used for drive hunting where one remains at post for the drive's duration (about 2 H) and in between drives, the rifle is transported afoot or by 4x4 in a leather, sheep lined, scabbard (this explains the 26 year old rifle's nearly pristine condition).

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3037

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com