Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope question #1

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Scope question #1
      #126729 - 12/02/09 06:24 AM

Comments on Leopold European series 30mm scopes.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: bonanza]
      #126732 - 12/02/09 06:54 AM

I've heard that their quality is about the same as the vx2 series, and not as good as the vx3.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: new_guy]
      #126737 - 12/02/09 07:47 AM

The Leupold European has a 30mm tube, but the glass inside is 1".

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #126739 - 12/02/09 08:22 AM

Are you open to other options than the Leupold? I recently picked up a Burris 1-4X Euro Diamond that seems pretty nice as far as build quality and optics go. I got a blemished one for the same price as the Leupold, which I was originally looking at, and it has an illuminated reticle. It is a little big though. The Nightforce NXS 1-4X is very compact with great optics and quality as well but you pay for it.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #126762 - 12/02/09 01:02 PM

Quote:

Are you open to other options than the Leupold? I recently picked up a Burris 1-4X Euro Diamond that seems pretty nice as far as build quality and optics go. I got a blemished one for the same price as the Leupold, which I was originally looking at, and it has an illuminated reticle. It is a little big though. The Nightforce NXS 1-4X is very compact with great optics and quality as well but you pay for it.

IMO, you will have to go pretty long and hard to beat the nightforce--awesome optics and awesome durability...BUT, as stated, quality in today's world is not cheap.. they are a bit on the heavy side as well..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: Ripp]
      #126764 - 12/02/09 01:09 PM

The fact that its a Leupold should answer any and all questions. I am no fan.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #126769 - 12/02/09 01:36 PM

Quote:

The Leupold European has a 30mm tube, but the glass inside is 1".

That's because the light is passed through the scope in narrow beams. 30mm scopes aren't any brighter than 1" scopes. The advantage to going to a 30mm tube is that there is a lot more room for the internal parts to move when making very large adjustments. That's only needed in a scope used on a rifle intended for shooting at extreme ranges. But for rifles shooting normal hunting cartridges at normal hunting ranges (<500yds) those kind of big adjustments are not needed. There really is no good reason to use a 30mm scope on the average hunting rifle. All it does is add size and weight. It's a fad that has caught on from people wanting to emulate the scopes on sniper and 1000 yard rifles. Unfortunately, since 30mm tubes have become so popular, there are fewer good 1" scopes to choose from.

If the shooter wants more light, he should use a scope with a bigger objective diameter.

--------------------
~

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: Grenadier]
      #126773 - 12/02/09 02:29 PM

Grenadier,

Thanks a bunch for that post. I've decided that the 1" is just fine.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: Grenadier]
      #126784 - 12/02/09 06:18 PM

Grenadier
You are quite correct. Swarovski fixed powers are 1 inch, and the 6x42 is a great scope, but I see they have discontinued it, ( the 30mm fad no doubt).Anyone have a swarovski 6x42 for sale btw.??

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: paradox_]
      #126799 - 12/02/09 09:26 PM

In my opinion, the best 1" scope available in terms of value, durablility, eye relief, and, most importantly, precise adjustments, is the Zeiss Conquest. I also have a Swarovski AV that's mounted on my .300 Weatherby Euromark, but most of my other rifles wear the Zeiss.

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: Caprivi]
      #126818 - 13/02/09 02:26 AM

Caprivi, you are the first person I have ever met who was negative about Leupold. I think
there is a lot of "snob" stuff about scopes, i.e. people looking down their noses at anything
non Zeiss/Schmidt/Swarovski/Kahles. Don't get me wrong, I own some Zeiss binos and a Schmidt scope
but if the truth be told I'm not sure I can tell the difference in optical quality between the
Leupold VXIII I have and the Schmidt !! I don't know anyone else who could either. If you covered up the labels I wonder who could tell ? this is not to say that all other names are the same, I
think Leupold are miles ahead of the other US stuff that I have seen. What put you off Leupold ??
best
Mike

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #126828 - 13/02/09 04:41 AM

Put me down as some else who is not a huge Leopold fan. They are all right for sure but I don't think they are Great like some of the German stuff.

I, and several friends, have always had a hard time focusing them and focusing the cross hairs at the same time. It seems that if you want one sharp the other is blurry.

I know there warranty is great. I've sent a couple back myself. But that's the deal isn't it. That means 2 have broken. I have never sent a Zeiss back and I have had one on my .340 WB for over 20 years. I put a Leupold 1.75x6 on my 450/400 and it lasted less than 50 rounds before it stopped shooting to the aim point. Leopold did apologize and did send me another scope but I don't have much confidence in it to tell you the truth.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: mickey]
      #126833 - 13/02/09 05:30 AM

Fair enough Mickey, I have never had one on a big kicker so your info is useful, hence the Schmidt for the NEARLY finished .375, best, Mike

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #126860 - 13/02/09 01:27 PM

Hello mike,

A quick response as I really get on a soap box when it comes to scopes. As for Leupolds I can only go by personal experience here, I use to guide in Wyoming so I see a fair amount of shots fired. I also do a fair amount of gun work so fire alot of shots as well. By far the largest number of QUALITY scopes I see fail to track or hold zero are Leupolds. Nothing else comes close. I have used Zeiss for 20+ years and never once sent one for repairs. I have never had a leupold of my own that didn't get sent back. The most common failure we see is a wondering zero on a upper right to lower left stringing of shots. I think they make a decent 200.00 scope, problem is they are twice that and still not a Burris or Nikon toughness wise.

There Mark 4's are tough I guess but have heard that the Scout Sniper scholl at Benning is using 10x Henstolds and Tasco's again.

I don't own a single Leupold scope anymore. For a hunting gun where I need/want a minimal amount of added weight I use Zeiss, on tactical/target guns I use I.O.R or NightForce.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: Caprivi]
      #126865 - 13/02/09 01:59 PM

I am not a huge fan of Leupold either, though I own and use several and am generally happy with them for what I use them for. I find that their click adjustments are guestimates only.

Their optics are third rate, maybe fourth rate compared to the top of the line S&B's or Swarovskis and they just aren't even in the running. Not in the running with Kahles or the lower priced Swaros or high end Zeiss either. But then you pay for the optics with the top end scopes. Even in Leupold's different lines' price ranges, there are scopes that are at least as goo if not better. I have never had one fail though.

BTW, every top of the top of the line scope is a 30mm scope, and it has been that way for a heck of a lot longer than the current 30mm fad. And you need that 30mm tube to get good low light performance from a straight tube scope by increasing objective size to 24mm (with the eception of the 30mm Leupold, which maintains the same 2mm objective lens as the 1" version.)

Not that its a fair comapaison, it isn't, but if you take a Leupold 2.5x8x32mm and an S&B or Swaro 1.1x4x24mm, 1.25x4x24mm and switch back and forth as the light is fading, you will find that the S&B and Swaro far exceed the Leupold, while the theoretical math favors the Leupold. Its optics just don't compare.

JPK

Edited by JPK (13/02/09 02:44 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#126867 - 13/02/09 02:05 PM

Put me down as a [non Leopold user].

doubleriflenut
.300 member

Reged: 27/11/08
Loc: Chile
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: mickey]
      #127228 - 16/02/09 08:10 AM

I have used Leupolds in the past and not had any problems. I do like the upper end German optics much better. I have an older 3X9 Zeiss Dia-Vari that is over the top and has never had a problem. I also have a Schmidt& Bender with the lighted reticule that is in a league of it's own. The absolute worse scopes I have ever used were Redfields! Real boat anchors to say the least. I have heard numerous complaints from Swarovski users which is surprising due to the cost of these scopes.I suppose that any of us could, on the right day, get a scope from any maker, that was built on a Monday or a Friday.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Scope question #1 [Re: JPK]
      #127261 - 16/02/09 12:45 PM

Quote:

Not that its a fair comapaison, it isn't, but if you take a Leupold 2.5x8x32mm and an S&B or Swaro 1.1x4x24mm, 1.25x4x24mm and switch back and forth as the light is fading, you will find that the S&B and Swaro far exceed the Leupold, while the theoretical math favors the Leupold. Its optics just don't compare.

JPK

That has been my experience as well...think under normal circumstances, Leopold will do just fine...but in low light conditions such as on a leopard hunt...would only use HIGH end glass...way too much at risk...

Caprivi,
Find your comments interesting...not questioning your statements, just ironic how opinions can be so varied....When I bought my last custom rifle from Lex Webernich, his comments were exactly opposite of yours,, he stated by far the most problems he had in his years of rifle building was Zeiss...and by far the most trusted was Leopold...

Anyway, speaking from personal experience and shooting a fair amount, have only had 2 leupolds go down in 40 years.1 was on a 300 mag for 10 years..and numerous trips..second one I had purchased second hand..so not sure what had happened to it prior to my purchase..

I probably own at least 20 at this time..also have S&B, Swarovski's and Kahles....have had far less number of Swarovski's and Kahles than Leupolds...but have had one of each go down as well for the former mentioned...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3628

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com