Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Merkel versus Krieghoff versus Blaser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Merkel versus Krieghoff [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #126724 - 12/02/09 04:56 AM

SharpsNitro You could very well be correct, but I think if the true measurements of the wall thickness was in front of you I think you would find it otherwise! The center cocking lever of the K-gun is a very good idea, as long as one doesn't need selective ejectors, because that is where the ejectors are cocked, and the ejection applied.

I don't have a K-gun here to measure, but I don't think the wall thickness will be more substantial than a well-made Webley, or Anson & Deeley box lock action. Because the K-gun is narrower to start with, and the wall's inside steel removed for the very wide under lug, it seems the wall thickness will be less anyway. The top of the action can only be so narrow, because of the distance between the strikers having to be centered in the chamber to hit the primers of the 500 based case of the 470NE or 500NE. The bar, however, can be much narrower, and on the K-guns it is. I think if we consider the amount of steel removed for the two cocking levers in that A&d, or Webley action and the amount of steel still left between the lumps, and outside wall of each side, you will still have more steel in the critical are of the bar, than you will with the K-gun's wide lugs. Also the wide lugs of the K-gun are almost hollow. The length of the bar is also a factor, and how the bottom between the bar on each side is filled. (solid or plate)

Of course all this is just speculation till both are stripped and measured in a water displacement flask! In any event IMO, the place to take steel away is not in the bar of a double rifle action. The wide lug cannot twist with out the bar bending, and all do bend on fireing, but only microscopic amounts, and then the elasticity of the alloy returns to it's origenal position, unless it is moved more than it's ability to recover.

Still I don't think either are at risk of being damaged as long as they are not exposed to overloads, but is something for a real set of tests to prove or disprove!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Merkel versus Krieghoff [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #126738 - 12/02/09 08:16 AM

DUGABOY1 It is all armchair engineering until you can pull them apart, print them and do some analysis isn't it? I guess all I'll say about the Krieghoff is that I was surprised at how compact it is for caliber (to me anyway). I'm a little surprised that the fact it only has one fastener hasn't come up either.

Edit: I guess the little nub between the barrels acts like a dolls head to help resist twisting.

Edited by SharpsNitro (12/02/09 03:04 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7150

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com