Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Top three collectors gun ??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Top three collectors gun ?? [Re: Morten]
      #126717 - 12/02/09 03:50 AM

Quote:

You can walk in into Purdey's ( or somewhare else) and order (that was what I ment in my previus post, sorry) yourself a new 470 and if you are lucky you will have BB to engrave it. It is true as you say that if you have one, you can sell it with a profit the day after. And you cant find one finished for sale easily, probably not at all. This makes it collectable but what I wonder about is if this is more collectable than guns with the right provenance and rarety. But you are als right in the fact that if you are lucky to get one of these top engraver to doo your job, it is colectable. But what you collect then is the (boiled down) the engravers signature. i normaly says that if you get a multicollor gold engraved Hunt its like bying a picasso if he was alive today.

Regrding greefnee I have seen quite a lot of his new work the last 3,5 year. You are right that his gargyles and grotuesk is good. his deep carving is very good and not meny can doo this, but I have seen better and cleaner from a few others. His lettering is very clean, But what have not impressed mee is his game scenes, I would not have it on my gun, that is for sure. i could name 10 engravers who doo better game scenes, and we have not started on the italians yet!. better quality of engraving and better design. I dont want to slagg him off but Me personally would not considder him collectble. I would have his former apprentice work any day before his. Cicile Flohiment. I guess he is a hate or love thing. And I am maybee too spoiled with looking at good stuff every day.

Thank you Morten.

That's the great thing about the gun business, one man's trash is another man's gold.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bigdog
.375 member

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: Southern Illinois
Re: Top three collectors gun ?? [Re: Morten]
      #127010 - 14/02/09 07:26 PM

I guess I am on the love side. I think most of Griffnee's work is outstanding. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thats what makes collecting so fun.

--------------------
Kyle, I love you buddy, Dad

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Top three collectors gun ?? [Re: bigdog]
      #127021 - 14/02/09 08:54 PM

Well its personal, so here goes...

Holland and Holland - calibre choices .375FL Mag; .500/.450 or .500/.465; .577NE (possibly 2 3/4"?)
Purdey - calibre choices .369; .450/.400
Westley Richards D/L - calibre choices .450/.400; .450NE; .470NE; .500NE
Calibre choice is difficult and I would try to avoid overlaps in my personal collection, unless I were in the very fortunate position of owning multiples of each
So what is the rationale? Well the WR is not as expensive as the other two, but none the less a collectible classic and important development in DR making. This would be the rifle that I would actually use and would be in a suitable calibre for DG. While I would certainly want to shoot a H&H/Purdey DR, I couldn't see myself putting it in the cargo hold of a plane, especially if it was a rare classic piece. For this reason I'd be inclined towards the .375/.369 because I could shoot and hunt with it closer to home, particularly for driven shoots in Europe that I could drive to by car (or private charter plane ). However, I would just have to have a big rifle in my collection, so I might therefore go for the .369 Purdey as a driven boar rifle and a H&H in .577

If I were fortunate enough to come across a suitable collectable rising-bite Rigby sidelock from pre-WW2 (or for me preferably pre-WW1, just for personal interest) then I would add this to a collection without hesitation! Ideally it would be a .450NE or .470NE but could equally be in any of Rigby's other wonderful calibres or .303 especially in a sidelever. Also for that matter a pre-WW1 Purdey or H&H .303

Again its personal, and probably very much coloured by the fact that I'm British, but if were to chose a continental maker, it would either be an O/U double or more likely a Dreiling or break-open single shot. Clearly among the very best are Hartmann & Weiss and Peter Hofer, so assuming that I still had unlimited funds after my purchases above, then how about a Dreiling from one and a single shot from the other?

Why did I leave out Boss? No reason - other than with unlimited funds I would have a trio of O/U 28 bores by them!! Also I believe H&W use the boss system on some of their DRs so that could be an option. I haven't left out Peter Nelson, but I confess I don't know all that much about him. Still I will need someone to build my take -down mausers and falling blocks!!

As for engravers - that will take more dreaming.. err I mean research....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15725

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com