Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Merkel 141

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Alberta
.275 member

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Canada
Merkel 141
      #125724 - 03/02/09 07:35 AM

I was wondering if anyone on this board has had any experience with the small framed Merkel 141, shot it, handled it, or even heard much about it.

The adjustable regulation looks intriguing, as does the rifles size and weight. Seems a good platform for one of the smaller cartridges it is offered in, but does anyone even own one?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Merkel 141 [Re: Alberta]
      #126106 - 07/02/09 01:47 PM

Merkel 141 = quality. What caliber are you looking at?
Bill

Alberta
.275 member

Re: Merkel 141 [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #126113 - 07/02/09 04:43 PM

I am thinking 8x57R or possibly 7x57R. The rifle would be scoped and used (and abused) just as any of my other rifles, this means it must be sturdy. I have no worries about the strength of the action, what concerns me is the ability of the floating barrel to hold it's setting while being knocked around.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #126182 - 08/02/09 05:45 AM

I have an 8x57r 141 but it does NOT have any adjustment of the barrels. Shoots and handles impeccabily. It is a single trigger ejector gun and I like it very much. Groups under one inch and that is a composite of BOTH barrels. I have a Leupold 1.5x5 VariX-III in MAK swing mounts on it. Have absolutely zero complaints or negative comments about it. Price was good and I am totally pleased with it. It is the second Merkel I have owned the first being a 470NE that I was also well pleased with. I feel they (Merkel doubles) are the best bargain of ALL the doubles available today. Of course that is only MY opinion and is only worth exactly however much YOU want pay for it.

John
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/07
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
      #126183 - 08/02/09 05:45 AM

Alberta
I had hoped that you would have received a lot of replies from US owners of the 141, I also would have been interested in hearing first hand reports on the 141 model. Here at Wolverine Supplies (Canada) we only stock the 140 in 9.3 x 74R as we have found very little demand for DR in the lighter calibers. Based on my first hand experience with Merkels I would not recommend the lighter 141 in the heavy 9.3 x74R, I see no reason why in the lighter calibers she would not work well. I do know that my personal 140 in 9.3 x 74R is superb, she has been with me on two African Safaris and will be my back up rifle for a Buffalo hunt later this year. I have also hunted Whitetail deer in Manitoba with this 9.3, I find the balance is superb, 23.5 inch barrels and weights 9.6 lb. with Swarovski scope. I carry 4 rds in the stock cartridge trap which brings the weight up to 10 lb and the balance is still good.

I have handled the 141 but not used one she certainly handles superbly, approx 1.25 -1.5 lb lighter than my 140 and features 21.5 inch barrels, in the lighter calibers you mention she would be an excellent fast handling deer rifle. I am not sure that the adjustable barrel muzzle is really required or desirable but this is a feature that I have never used. All model 141 have this feature. Maybe some others here on this forum can add their comments on first hand experience with the adjustable barrel muzzle feature.

John

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Merkel 141 [Re: John]
      #126186 - 08/02/09 06:06 AM

John,

Why do you say you would not recommend the 141 in the 9.3x74R? Do you think it's too light and the barrels too short?

--------------------

John
.300 member

Re: Merkel 141 [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #126199 - 08/02/09 07:48 AM

My first Merkel rifle was the B3 O/U she is the lightest fastest handling of all their doubles. I wanted a rifle for plains game and decided on the 9.3 x 74R as she could also manage dangerous game, although I use a .470 NE as my first choice. The little B3 was delightful, handled superbly, recoil was brisk but manageable however she was a disaster, nothing but problems with the lock work. No problem with Merkel, (I am talking of Merkel Germany, the factory) she was replaced with the 140 in 9.3 x 74R, this was after detailed discussion with Merkel. Firstly any rifle I take to Africa must be reliably, given that was my first priority, Merkel recommended the model 140.

Based on the above I am cautions of the lightweight rifles in the heavy 9.3 x 74 R caiber, my caution may be unfounded, I am very curious to hear of others experience. Let me add that I work my rifles hard, I practice with full power ammo and when I sell a rifle, especially an expensive rifle, to a customer it is based on my first hand experience and I expect the rifle to perform as intended.

As for barrel length; Stiffness is far more important that length, short stiff barrels will normally shoot tighter groups than long barrels. To me in a double rifle balance is critical, I am a small fellow and to me rifles with shorter barrels normally balance better, they also handle faster and in thick bush are handier. To me when hunting with a double rifle the object is to get as close as I can. The difference in velocity between 20 to 28 inch barrels with the game cartridges we are talking of is only approx 25 fps per inch and as I believe in heavy slow bullets, loosing a few fps is of no concern.

The above comments are based on my experience and opinion, I accept there are many others that are also valid.

John

Edited by John (08/02/09 01:44 PM)

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #126221 - 08/02/09 09:36 AM

Have had several 9.3x74r's and had good luck with all. My Chapuis sxs was extremely light and a delight to carry though rather stiff to me,(I KNOW recoil is subjective)in the recoil department. You might even say unpleasant to shoot,period. The others were Valmets and they were not particularly light in any sense of the term though they were pleasant to carry also. Never had any problems with any of them. I would easily select any of them for use again and the accuracy of all was exemplary. I personally would not like to shoot my 141 in 9.3x74r as it is featherlight and very pleasant in 8x57IRS. Mine has the humpback European stock with NO cheekpiece. While I find that stock design ugly in the first degree it seems to be one of the most pleasant I have ever shot, so much so, that I don't even have a recoil pad on it and for me that is saying something as I am overly sensitive to recoil. With the short barrels and light weight it is one of the most responsive doubles I've ever had,either rifle OR shotgun. I would love to be able to afford it duplicated in 410.

Alberta
.275 member

#126248 - 08/02/09 01:28 PM

John, I am "Republic of Alberta" on CGN. I was recently quizzing you about your doubles on your Elephant thread. Thank You for your replies both here and there. I believe I had asked if you were going to stock the 141 once before too. I do understand and agree that the lighter cal. doubles are not in much demand as compared to the various mid weight 9.3's. Most guys that are going to shoot a double want the largest bore on those frames. Originally I wanted a 9.3 in one of the mid weight rifles as well, and still do. And who actually wouldn't? But after a few years of contemplation on what double I would actually use most. I have come to the reality that 90% of the time I grab a short light rifle out of the safe and head out. I simply love small rifles. Even when I want a powerful rifle I always end up grabbing the smallest one I have, a 9.3 Brenneke on a Mauser action, 22" bbl and 12.5" LOP. My 375H&H and 416 Rigby are just too darn "clunky" to take out.

Zim, I did a search on Accurate Reloading and assume that it is you that have posted about your "Non-adjustable" 141 over there. Your comments are much appreciated. I also am finding my self becoming a little bit sensitive to recoil lately. My shoulder as been bothering me the past few years. I am a relatively young man, and worry that in the future it may become a problem. I would hate to have to sell a beloved double one day just because it has to much recoil for me. It is certainly something to consider.

John
.300 member

#126250 - 08/02/09 02:10 PM

The picture below shows, top to bottom:

Antonio Zoli, .30-06, 21.5 inch barrel weight 7.2 lb. NIB One only, special $4,252.50 Cd
Merkel 140, 9.3 x 74 R with Swarovski 1-6 scope, 23.5 inch barrel, weight 10 lb (Not for sale)
New Merkel 140, ejector, .470 NE, weight 11 lb, NIB $10,050.00 Cd.
Vaughan .470 NE, 26 inch barrel, 12lb, (not for sale)

If you are looking for a light fast handling double at an affordable price you need to give the Zoli serious consideration. I had a 9.3 x 74R Zoli O/U rifle and she was the most accurate double rifle I have ever owned. The price above includes hard case and QD scope mount.

John

Alberta
.275 member

#126255 - 08/02/09 02:50 PM

Quote:

you need to give the Zoli serious consideration.
John

Trust me, when I saw that rifle posted on CGN, I did give it VERY serious consideration. In fact I am RE-considering it right now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7534

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com