Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 2008 Deer Season in Japan

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
2008 Deer Season in Japan
      #126032 - 07/02/09 02:37 AM

I thought some of you guys might like to see some pics of a Sika stag a buddy of mine took last year. He was hunting on the island of Hokkaido. It's his best stag yet, and he's been hunting in Japan for a few years now.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: 2008 Deer Season in Japan [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #126035 - 07/02/09 02:57 AM

Cool stuff!! I didn't know that big game hunting was even allowed in japan.

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (07/02/09 06:38 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 2008 Deer Season in Japan [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #126042 - 07/02/09 03:30 AM

Yeah, inform us.

Tho't guns were banned or something like that.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: 2008 Deer Season in Japan [Re: 9.3x57]
      #126057 - 07/02/09 06:32 AM

Great to see, thanks for the info. Please give us a run down on hunting in Japan.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #126073 - 07/02/09 09:10 AM

A very nice trophy! I know this game , i shot a deer like this in 1994 in Tonghe Heilong-jiang/China.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: 2008 Deer Season in Japan [Re: grandveneur]
      #126084 - 07/02/09 10:08 AM

Well, it's a shotgun in the photo.

I guess a web-search will turn up additional info.

Lovely Sika stag, BTW. Congratulations to your friend.

We have access to this species just across the Tasman. Of course, our Kiwi mates are tagging them from their back porch on the North Island!
They'd probably crawl through broken glass for a head like that, though.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: 2008 Deer Season in Japan [Re: Marrakai]
      #126097 - 07/02/09 12:15 PM

It's better to hunt species in their original countries. I shot all my water buffalos/Arnis in Paheng/Malaysia.

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Re: 2008 Deer Season in Japan [Re: grandveneur]
      #126098 - 07/02/09 12:20 PM

Guns aren't banned in Japan, although I think the Japanese gov't is perfectly happy letting the world think that.

And hunting in Japan is actually very good. There are only about 250,000 hunters in the whole country. And my friend says the locals are all pretty much just road hunters. They wait for a good snowfall to drive the deer down out of the mountains (and just about the entire country consists of mountains) then nail them. The guy who sent me the pics says if you just get up into the hills a little off the road, you have the entire place to yourself. You, and the half dozen or so other Americans living in Japan who've gotten licensed.

If you want to hunt in Japan, it's a multi-step process. First, you have to be legally residing in Japan. That includes US military personnel living there under the Status of Forces Agreement, as well as Japanese citizens and legal residents. You'll never hunt there as a tourist.

The Japanese have three categories of hunting licenses. Trapping, air rifle, and firearm.

The air rifle license is just about as restrictive as the firearm license, so I don't see any advantage to it. The trapping license allows you to trap animals up to and including deer and net birds.

To get a firearm hunting license, first you have to legally acquire a gun. This requires a gun license. The Japanese police administer firearms licensing. The best way to go about it is join a club. You have to pass a police background check and a medical exam (to make sure you're not crazy). The cops come by your house and see where you're going to store the guns. You have to take a written exam, which mostly makes sure you know the law about what you can and can't do with a gun. It's actually not to restrictive; you can take your gun and a certain amount of ammo on the subway. Then you go to a trap and skeet range and prove to an examiner that you can hit a target. Then you get a license and can buy a shotgun. Once a year you have to show it to your local cops to prove you still have it and haven't illegally modified it.

You'd be surprised at how many Japanese are target shooters. Both skeet and trap, as well as "benchrest" shotgun shooters.

If you own a shotgun successfully for 7 years without slipping your leash and running afoul of the law, you can then own and possess a rifle. You technically can own a handgun, but you have to get special permission which is really only given to olympic-level competitors and only for target handguns. But you have to store it with the police, not in your home. So the only people who "own" handguns are high-level competitors affiliated with the police or Self Defense Forces.

Hunting is regulated by the ministry of the interior. To get any kind of hunting license you have to take another written test, which is again all about the law regulating the activity. All the tests are in Japanese, by the way. The Japanese don't share our insanity in the US for licensing people who don't read or speak the language. They figure if you can't understand their police officers or their signs telling you what you can and can't do, they don't want you running around the country with a car let alone a gun. But you can arrange to have someone help you with questions you don't understand.

Once you pass the test, you're good to go. You do have to register with any prefecture where you want to hunt. You can register with as many as you like.

It's a huge pain in the butt, but if you go through the process the hunting's great. They have tons of wild boar, which cause a lot of crop damage in many parts of the country. On the three main southern islands there's a healthy population of Asian black bear. Just about every spring you'll read about some hiker in a national park just outside Tokyo like Hakone or Nikko getting killed by a touchy momma bear. On Hokkaido there's the same brown bear you'll find in Kamchatka or Alaska. Deer are all over the country, but get bigger as you go north. And there are a lot of pheasant and ducks. You'll see rafts of pintails even in downtown tokyo. And I don't know if the government still does this or not, but up until about 10 years ago the government paid a bounty for crows. Crows are a huge nuisance in Japan. They make the news just like the boar and bears do. I knew some guys stationed up at Misawa AFB who'd basically pay for there hunting expenses just by killing enough crows

Edited by ChinaFleetSailor (07/02/09 12:24 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #126103 - 07/02/09 12:54 PM

Wow.

Another post that keeps me rivetted to this forum.

Thanks CFS!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

grandveneur
.400 member

#126130 - 07/02/09 09:24 PM

Very interesting! Thank you for the informations.

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #126142 - 07/02/09 11:45 PM

Quote:

All the tests are in Japanese, by the way. The Japanese don't share our insanity in the US for licensing people who don't read or speak the language. They figure if you can't understand their police officers or their signs telling you what you can and can't do, they don't want you running around the country with a car let alone a gun.

Wow! Incredible process. All said, the exerpt I extracted above deserves a resounding "AMEN"!!!!! I wish it would apply to jobs and everything else!

I read a story some time ago in one of the high-brow sporting magazines, maybe Shooting Sportsman or Sporting Classics, that was about the great duck and upland bird hunting available in Japan.

--------------------

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Re: 2008 Deer Season in Japan [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #126180 - 08/02/09 05:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

All the tests are in Japanese, by the way. The Japanese don't share our insanity in the US for licensing people who don't read or speak the language. They figure if you can't understand their police officers or their signs telling you what you can and can't do, they don't want you running around the country with a car let alone a gun.

Wow! Incredible process. All said, the exerpt I extracted above deserves a resounding "AMEN"!!!!! I wish it would apply to jobs and everything else!

I read a story some time ago in one of the high-brow sporting magazines, maybe Shooting Sportsman or Sporting Classics, that was about the great duck and upland bird hunting available in Japan.

The hunting in Japan is great. My friend who took the Sika stag in the pictures if from Alaska. He knows what good hunting is, and he says Japan has great hunting opportunities.

As far as the waterfowl and upland hunting goes, I think I can offer an opinion as I'd at least see birds even though I couldn't hunt them. On the rivers, canals, moats, etc., of Yokohama and Tokyo, I'd see huge rafts of pintails and mallards. Which was nothing compared to what you'd see up around Misawa in the northern part of the country. The Air Force and Navy guys up there raved it was a waterfowler's paradise. And it was, and undoubtedly still is.

On every patch of open land, such as the airfield of NAF Atsugi or the farmland around Naval Radio Relay Facility Kami Seya (actually inside the city limits of Yokohama) I'd see pheasants all over the place every spring displaying for mates. That's when I first grew curious about hunting. Not just because of the birds I'd see, but the signs I'd see in English and Japanese saying "No gun hunting." That seemed odd way, because like everyone else at first I thought there were no guns and no hunting in Japan. So why would they need to post signs like that? I checked around with some people I knew and that's when I discovered the various classes of hunting licenses. Apparently, the sign is intended just to prohibit firearms use but hunting is allowed in those areas. That's where the trapping license comes into play. (The signs were in English as well as Japanese only because of the proximity to US military bases. Signs outside of Tokyo/Yokohama were not. They wanted to make sure that no US military personnel got any ideas about shooting some birds.)

I'd have loved to have been able to hunt. Waterfowl was abundant, and surprisingly not too different from the birds you'd find here in the US. The pheasants in Japan are real exotics. They aren't the ring-necked pheasants introduced to the states. They have Green and Copper pheasants.

Japanese quail and sparrow were also on license. And good to eat. There were a few Izakaya's that I knew that had suzume-yaki on the menu; basically "grilled sparrow." 3 to a spit. Delicious.

Unfortunately, by the time I figured things out and learned enough of the language, I had such a short time left in the country I didn't bother to get licensed. I just got my "fix" by shooting Trap and Skeet on base every weekend, buying used guns at bargain basement prices (fully functional M1894 Win. in 25-35 made in 1910? $95) from a Japanese gun dealer who'd come to the base shooting club once a month or so, and eating bear, boar, and venison at Japanese inns up in the mountains as I explored the country.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #126204 - 08/02/09 08:07 AM

Thanks for the pictures and the information. That story on the upland hunting was in Double Gun Journal about two years ago.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3814

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com