Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
bigboar
.224 member

Reged: 05/02/09
Loc: NewEngland
CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues
      #125852 - 05/02/09 06:00 AM

Hellow, this is my first post. I joined this forum because of the expertise of the members and focus on big game rifles. I have a nit to pick with CZ and like to hear opinions. Hopefully, I can contribute on a more positive note in the future. I have been shooting over 40 yrs and although my rifle hunting is limited to 7mm-08, I have a always enjoyed the big boomers. That goes back to a 6 bore Dixie Gun Works muzzle loader purchased in the late 60's. I don't have that 6 bore now, But; it was a fun gun.

Nine months back, while working long hours - 6 days weeks, I got wind of the 458 Lott introduction. Went online and found the 505gibbs offering by CZ! Wow! I special ordered a CZ 550 Safari in 505 Gibbs. That set me back $3k, which is more than I ever dropped on a rifle. It looked great and later when I went to Cabelas to pickup some ammo, I found a new CZ American on the shelf in 458 Lott for $1,000. Based on the quality look I also purchased the 458. When I say quality, I pretty much set my standard by guns like Ruger. Nothing fancy just well built and decent finish. Well, I also like to CZ features, such as high capacity magazine that holds five 458 and three 505's.

I set those aside (working 6 days a week) which was a mistake. Not until I was out of work for a while, I decided to shoot these guns. Starting with the 505 first. I discover the rounds will not chamber. Control feed ok but the chamber is rough and/or under size. I beat the bolt down and forced one round in. Then drove it out with a wood dowel down the barrel. The case was deeply scratched and squeezed down. It appears the chamber was only roughly reamed out and the final finish reamer never used. Or something major F-ed up. I tried two different ammos. No doubt in my mind this gun was never test fired or even cycled for feeding at the factory. Thats gone back to Kansas City. I am waiting.

Ok, strike one. Now, I proceed to clean and checkout the CZ American in 458 Lott. One round in the magazine, push bolt forward and the bullet hits the lower front of the feed ramp and stops! Strike Two! It wont feed. What I figure out is if I push the rounds to the rear of the magazine they ride up the ramp and feed ok. But if the ammo is forward in the magazine (such as it would be after recoil) the rounds will not feed. I dont even know if this is a defect or just typical CZ performance. If thats not enought. The 505 would control feed, but for some reason the 458 ends up push feeding some of the time. At a 1000 bucks, I might try and modify the magazine. I tell you I am real turned off by the whole CZ quality situation right now.

I dont know,...??? I may get the 505 fixed and put 458 back in the box. Dump both of these POS CZ guns and get a Kimber in 458. But, then for a 505 Gibbs it is CZ or nobody.

I read on this forum some suggest a CZ might be ok for safari if gone threw by a gunsmith. I wonder is that a polite way to alert members this maker is prone to ship crap. How do I know the guns are even safe, any trigger, firing pin or safety issues? Can you imagine the potential injury if a round discharge when the bolt closed?

Edited by bigboar (05/02/09 06:02 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
thorshammer
.300 member

Reged: 27/12/08
Loc: USA
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: bigboar]
      #125856 - 05/02/09 07:08 AM

Post deleted by thorshammer

bigboar
.224 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: thorshammer]
      #125859 - 05/02/09 07:21 AM

Yea, maybe I should dump both CZ. I own a Ruger in 416 Rigby and Win M70 in 375H&H. Both cost under or near $2k. I fired many boxes in the Winchester and enough in the Ruger. Never any hint of difficulty with either one. I would have though $3k was enough to expect reasonable reliability, HECK at least out of the box functionality. My mistake then.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: bigboar]
      #125860 - 05/02/09 07:52 AM

If you need the extra horsepower try the M77 in .458 lott chambering. I have one that has fed and performed flawlessly since it's purchase. It has fired over 400 rounds and taken dangerous game in Zimbabwe. Its accurate, dependable, and quite rugged. No pampering needed here. I would not hesitate to leave tomorrow with it.

--------------------
One day at a time...

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: bigmaxx]
      #125865 - 05/02/09 09:31 AM

The 505 is clearly a warranty issue.

I would suggest that any rifle to be used on large game such as these two rifles are, will need additional work. This has already been suggested numerous times in regard to CZ's.

The beauty of getting a gunsmith to correct any design or manufacturing problems is that you have control over what is fixed and how. IMHO the CZ's are a great basic platform.

It is dissapointing to purchase a rifle that does not function first up, but these issues are quite easily improved upon and corrected by a competant gunsmith.

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: tophet1]
      #125867 - 05/02/09 10:11 AM

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #125870 - 05/02/09 10:38 AM

Big Bore,
I feel for you mate. There is nothing worse then paying out good money for a new rifle that won't shoot. I must admit that I have no experience of the 550's other than that a mate has one in 375H&H and it seems to shoot & feed well. He likes it, especially for the Money!
I own 2 CZ/BRNO's both both are model 602's. One is in 375H&H and the other in 458Win. The 375H&H is a dream. shoots just about any load very well, never has had a feed problem. And I wouldn't part with it for quids.I've owned the 375 for over 20 years. The 458 on the other hand, well she can be a bitch! She has had feed problems since the day I bought her. The only way to get her to feed is by using solid projectiles only. She is accurate though. Still I love the all steel actions and if I ever do go after something big and or bity and want a 458, I'd probably send her off to a good gun smith and spend what ever was needed to fix her feed problem.
I hope that your CZ problems are fixed quickly.
Good luck & regards
Rod

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #125872 - 05/02/09 11:11 AM

Quote:

another thing unrelated what is everyones obession with the lott its not all that great in my opinon everyone loads them down to 458 winn velocities only advantage is shoot a 550 grainer

What???

--------------------

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #125873 - 05/02/09 11:16 AM

Aint no whats about it what i said explains it all

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

#125875 - 05/02/09 11:19 AM

Quote:

Aint no whats about it what i said explains it all

Uh huh.

--------------------

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #125877 - 05/02/09 11:25 AM

Bigboar,

I've also heard from a couple of previous owners of CZ and they all said that the CZ can be a very good rifle but it will require additional work on the action and magazine to get it smooth and flawlessly functional. I couldn't tell you what the cost or time involved would be in reworking the rifle, but many would not invest the effort. They do offer an alluring package to the would-be-newcomer in big bore rifles, but you could get the same in a different brand, as you mentioned, and put almost no money into it afterwards.

Sorry about the issues you had with the CZ. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, nor would I tell that person, "well, you asked for it and should've known better". Live and learn. Thanks for sharing your misfortune with the rest of us. If the word gets around, the quality control at CZ may increase to the benefit of us all.

--------------------

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #125878 - 05/02/09 11:31 AM

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #125884 - 05/02/09 01:18 PM

I don't care if you've paid $3000.00 or $300,000.00 for a rifle, you have to expect at least that it will chamber the cartridge it was designed for and fire that cartridge through a barrel with hunting accuracy to 100yds or so.

Contact first the dealer that sold the rifle and insist that he replaces it. If you have no joy there Contact CZ and raise the matter with them.

The price difference can get you better wood, better fit, smoother action, better finish, better accuracy. BUT a rifle must be a rifle in its basic function.

If neither the dealer or CZ will help, go to the police and file a complaint for theft. They have stolen your money.

As a note, the 505's were never in the past a mass produced item. They are a bitch to get to feed as the action is marginally sized for them. If you want one on a mauser style action then best to get a gunmaker to build one from scratch. They would be better on a pushfeed.

Regards

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: Bramble]
      #125887 - 05/02/09 01:29 PM

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #125891 - 05/02/09 01:51 PM

Quote:

But, then for a 505 Gibbs it is CZ or nobody.

Actually there are a couple of dozen riflemakers who build a fine .505, but you are looking at $15K to $20K.

see www.rbbigbores.com

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: 500grains]
      #125892 - 05/02/09 01:54 PM

505 from ryan will run you 23k starting out he built my 375 and the start point was 18k

thorshammer
.300 member

#125893 - 05/02/09 01:57 PM

well probally more due to the fact i talked to him right after christmas and he had 1 416 ready to ship and his asking price was 22k

Bramble
.375 member

#125895 - 05/02/09 02:46 PM

Quote:

As i said before you get exactly what you pay for and he did he got a rifle cz makes no claims it will fuction flawless at all and you cannot walk into a police station to report that no crime has been commited it is a civil matter and the time and court cost and lawyer fee will cost more then the price paid for both rifles

And respectfully. As I said, he did not get exactly what he paid for, he paid for a rifle.
For it to be a rifle it must perform the basic functions of a rifle. If it will not chamber a cartridge then it is not a rifle and the crime is theft.

You make it sound like it is this chaps fault, it is not. CZ and the dealer advertised a .505 for a sum of money. They did not supply one for that price. Ergo they stole from him.
To fail to supply goods for which you have been paid is not a civil matter it is criminal fraud.
Criminal fraud at least here, comes under the theft act.

That the price is too cheep for CZ perhaps to deliver a decent 505 is not the fault or the responsibility of the purchaser.

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: Bramble]
      #125896 - 05/02/09 02:53 PM

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #125897 - 05/02/09 03:57 PM

Quote:

Apples to oranges my friend everyone thinks their a lawyer until the courts tell you the same thing I did

Not in this case.
As Bramble says, CZ, or any other rifle manufacturer for that matter, not just implies, but explicitly states that their rifles are chambered for and designed for the use of a specific cartridge. If said rifle will not even chamber the round, then they have failed to deliver on their advertised promise. Not only that, but the BATF would have an interest that a manufacturer licensed to manufacture or market in the US has failed to insure the safe function of a firearm, which in this case, CZ obviously did fail to inspect the rifle for proper function.

There is an element of low cost - lower quality in play here, but that is not the same as low cost - inoperational and unsafe.

There should not be an expectation of spending a great amount of money to buy a fully functional high quality rifle. There are many guns on the market right now which will perform every bit as well as any $18-30K custom for well under $10K.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Huvius]
      #125901 - 05/02/09 05:35 PM

as I have said its my opinion and you get what you pay for a 10 dollar saddle the 505 gibbs on a 2 dollar horse the cz like i have stated i havent even held one so i can only go by what my rifle builders tell me and by all the problems stated I wouldnt even bother giveing one a glance but if thats what you have or can afford all the power to you

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #125902 - 05/02/09 06:04 PM

As a former federal prosecutor, I can assure that BATF would not know what to do with a .505 Gibbs if once came up and bit it on the arse. We had enough trouble getting agents not to write reports mentioning ".9 mm" pistols and .410 "gauge" shotguns, which they then expected us to present to a Grand Jury.

I'm afraid you would not get far alleging fraud in a case where a firearm failed to feed a cartridge correctly. Since the rifle was manufactured in the Czech Republic, presumably it underwent proof testing and was certified safe to shoot with standard ammunition. That should be enough to mount a successful defense against a charge of negligence, let alone fraud, which is an offence involving criminal intent. Case dismissed!

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: xausa]
      #125903 - 05/02/09 06:23 PM

here here thank you

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #125906 - 05/02/09 08:02 PM

Quote:

Since the rifle was manufactured in the Czech Republic, presumably it underwent proof testing and was certified safe to shoot with standard ammunition.

xausa

the american line is assampled in the god old US of A, so they should be abel to correct their mistakes right then and there.
as far as i understand it you dont need to prof your guns in the us, right
i shouldent be to hard to get them to remedy the flaws of the gun in question.

we can't get the american line here in europe, unless it is shipped from the us to here. the CS is as far as i know here CZ is a well respected brand that makes rough rifles that can take whatever you could throw at it and keep on ticking, is is not the most expencive brand but the actions are used on a lot of costum jobs

Mjoelner: the idea that you have to pay huge sums of money to get a working gun is a bit off IMO, it is nice to get a costum job from a good gunsmith, but if they tell you that that is the only way, i think you been had in a very big way.

on another note then it would be nice for you to do a photo spread of your guns for all of us to enjoy your prices in your gun cabinet.

best regards

Edited by peter (05/02/09 08:19 PM)

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: peter]
      #125910 - 05/02/09 08:33 PM

Edited by thorshammer (05/02/09 08:44 PM)

peter
removed

#125912 - 05/02/09 08:51 PM

Quote:

I dont recall ever saying you have to pay huge ammounts of money just to have a working rifle i choose to pay the high ticket prices to ensure i get the best peices made for the rifle

let me help your memory a bit:

Quote:

The Strikes are against you thinking you could get a decent 505 for 3k when a decent 505 from heym will run you close to 11,000 cz is well known are crap guns

Quote:

but all i can say is bigbores are a rich mans game

Quote:

you get what you pay for a 10 dollar saddle the 505 gibbs, on a 2 dollar horse the cz

peter

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: peter]
      #125918 - 05/02/09 09:10 PM

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: thorshammer]
      #125919 - 05/02/09 09:12 PM

Edited by thorshammer (05/02/09 09:14 PM)

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

#125922 - 05/02/09 11:40 PM

Quote:

as I have said its my opinion and you get what you pay for a 10 dollar saddle the 505 gibbs on a 2 dollar horse the cz like i have stated i havent even held one so i can only go by what my rifle builders tell me and by all the problems stated I wouldnt even bother giveing one a glance but if thats what you have or can afford all the power to you

Quote:

and as i have state these are my belifs and I still think its not illegal to be entitled to those
but you might want to ease up on the quoteing what i say as you look like you have some sort of envy towards me dont be upset I made the right decsions in life

What??????

Dear Mr. Thor, son of Odin, Protector of Midgard,

I'm not sure how you were raised in your Kingdom in Thrudheim, but the humans here on Middle Earth respect other people's opinions and try not to ram our own opinions down the throats of others.

Additionally, if you cannot be quoted in what you say, then what you say cannot be respected. Peter was just highlighting what you, yourself, stated. Is that uncomfortable? Your comments are not constructive in any way and only serve to be antagonistic. If you have an opinion and can state it respectfully, then state it. Don't condemn other members for having the same based on other real experiences.

That's bad behavior for a Norse God.

Have you heard the saying, "he who loves himself above all others will have no competition"? It's not Nordic.

Also, there's a grammatical symbol we use here: (.) We call it a period. It's a punctuation mark used at the end of declarative sentences thought to be a complete. Give it a try.

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (05/02/09 11:56 PM)

peter
removed

#125925 - 06/02/09 12:48 AM

Quote:

and as i have state these are my belifs and I still think its not illegal to be entitled to those
but you might want to ease up on the quoteing what i say as you look like you have some sort of envy towards me dont be upset I made the right decsions in life

i really couldent give a rats ass what you have and dont have, except your attitude which i think sucks, i still would like to see those gems of your's, just to see that you are not another troll that just crept over the doorstep and are full of hot air.

a lot of people here have plenty more than me, and i think they fully deserve it, but your way of shitting on a guy's guns and problems without coming up with anything constructive is really just a waste of space.

so in short, i don't envy you as i prefere my english doubles and my last bought bolt rifle were for my wife, but to each his own.

peter

Edited by peter (06/02/09 01:09 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #125926 - 06/02/09 01:20 AM

Quote:

but for some reason the 458 ends up push feeding some of the time. At a 1000 bucks, I might try and modify the magazine. I tell you I am real turned off by the whole CZ quality situation right now.

I read on this forum some suggest a CZ might be ok for safari if gone threw by a gunsmith.

Thanks for posting your experiences.

I had similar experiences with my 550FS and I posted the entire saga, an edda, really, long enough it would take the entire trip from roskildefjord to vinland fighting a headwind to tell!

I tried to get others to post their experiences with CONTROL ROUND feeding issues and CZ's but got little response. Your experience here indicates what I have suspected; actions are made in a very few configurations and more or less barrels are just twisted on and the guns shipped with little or no actual smithing of the rifle to insure proper function. For myself, I spent many hours figuring out the problems and doing the work myself. If I had sent the gun to a gunsmith I am certain it would have added a tremendous amount to the cost and multiple ships to-boot. Why? Because the gun WAS sent to the CZ custom shop to be rebarreled, was supposedly tested for feeding with the new cartridge and when I received it it would not feed PERIOD in spite of the cries and lamentations of the gunsmith on the telephone. The reason was because the box magazine and follower were improper to the new cartridge. Wouldn't feed properly before the change, and wouldn't feed after. This I know because CZ was gracious enough to send me the parts and tell me "of course the gun won't feed without these parts". Regardless, it wouldn't feed properly with the parts they originally fitted the gun with in the original caliber before it was rebarreled! A mess from stem to stern.

Now it is 100%, but only after MUCH work on my part.

And my lesson was learned on a cheap production FS rifle. There is no way I would place a single red cent on a CZ for any "expensive" model. Seems like there are some that have posted good experiences here, but I prefer penny ante poker in my living room to the craps table in Vegas.

Of course, XAUSA is correct. Good heavens, guys, anybody that has experience selling guns in America can tell you they have seen many that won't perform as implied or advertised. I personally have seen auto pistols that won't feed a round, barrels that unscrewed off revolvers, parts that literally fell off the gun when the action was cycled, etc. Don't tell me this fellow has a "case". Besides, you would spend more than the gun's value getting some attorney to understand why a gun needs to "feed" when it doesn't eat much more getting him to meet CZ in court. That direction leads to a black hole IMO. Good luck.

IMO, and this is just my opinion, bigboar is in a pickle. If he were me, I would send the guns back. I figured out my problems and knew enough about the fixes needed and was willing to spend the time upon time to get the thing right...including going to a new caliber and now am very happy, not at CZ but at me for doing the work. It became a hobby of its own, really, and didn't "cost" me anything but time. In the case of bigboar, there he has virtually TWO new rifles to be built and tho some might not see his thousands as much, I do. I had no guarantees my rifle would work in the end but at $700 I was willing to roll the dice. I would NOT be willing to roll his dice as so much monkeying was needed on mine there was not way they would have taken the gun back in the end had I been unsuccessful.

Ever heard of..."you voided your warranty...?

Chin-up bigboar and please post your results!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

xausa
.400 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: peter]
      #125930 - 06/02/09 01:34 AM

Peter,

"the american line is assampled in the god old US of A, so they should be abel to correct their mistakes right then and there."

You have me there. When you say that the American line is assembled in the "good old US of A", do you mean that the barrelled action is fitted to the stock, or that the whole rifle is assembled from component parts shipped from the CR? I would be amazed if the latter were the case, but I have never had a 550 in my hand, let alone disassembled one.

You are correct that there is no governmental proof in the US, but if the barrelled actions are assembled in the CR, I would think that they are proofed there, but I have no means of verifying this.

All my experience with Czech made weapons has to do with my G33/40 based sporter, my 21H/22F rifles and carbines, my ZG-47 and my ZKK602, which is presently being converted to .500 Jeffery. I am anxious to see how that conversion feeds. After reading the account of the .505's problems, I am a little concerned. However, I don't anticipate taking it in the field after DG, since I have a whole gun cabinet full of alternatives.

9.3x57
.450 member

#125936 - 06/02/09 02:10 AM

Peter, the CZ custom shop is a gunsmith operation, off premises to CZ. I'm not sure if they do all the building of CZ guns here, but do not believe they do so for all models marked "American". Is that what you are saying?

Obviously the so-called custom shop CAN do good work as some has been posted here. And maybe they can fix bigboar's problems, particularly the .458's ills. But that .505 seems like it needs more than TLC.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

peter
removed

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: 9.3x57]
      #125937 - 06/02/09 02:26 AM

rod

the custom shop lies in america and have nothing to do as such with CZ operations, the reason i know is, i had a rather extensive visit at the factory, a few years ago, where the topic came up.

the guns leaves cz factory in europe as parts except barrels and other small stuff, get exported to US and being made as the big guns there.
what im saying is that the custom shop work is US work, so it shouldent be hard to get fixed in the us.

CZ-usa is a company all for itself and has supply strings to europe but a lot of assambly and fitting is done in the us.

i dont think it matters for the small stuff, 9,3 cal. and below, as i think it is the same guns but the big stuff is only in america.

best regards

peter

9.3x57
.450 member

#125938 - 06/02/09 02:35 AM

Thanks Peter.

That connects the dots.

--------------------

peter
removed

#125939 - 06/02/09 02:51 AM

no problem

i got a bit downhearted when i heard that i couldent get into those big bomers, unless i made them myself in europe....

best regards

peter

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #125940 - 06/02/09 03:04 AM

I was going thru some cz drawings in the hope to find a cheap dropped well to build a large bore on,
But i could only find one type, i could have missed it but there was only one specified.

So are the usa cz using the standard magnum well for their guns?

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: 450_366]
      #125949 - 06/02/09 04:54 AM

Im going to try this one more time as it looks off I came off the wrong way if its under warrenty call up cz and have them adress the issue or send it over to Ed Plummer American Hunting Rifles - CZ Owners and to my understanding on all of his rifles but one uses a cz action and if he can get a 600 overkill to feed in one he would get your 505 to feed.Seems they have alot of trouble with rough actions and feed ramps but also you will need to have both of those rifles bedded and cross bolted as many have stated they tend to split stocks

Edited by thorshammer (06/02/09 04:59 AM)

thorshammer
.300 member

#125950 - 06/02/09 04:57 AM

http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #125962 - 06/02/09 06:46 AM

Quote:

rod

the custom shop lies in america and have nothing to do as such with CZ operations, the reason i know is, i had a rather extensive visit at the factory, a few years ago, where the topic came up.

the guns leaves cz factory in europe as parts except barrels and other small stuff, get exported to US and being made as the big guns there.
what im saying is that the custom shop work is US work, so it shouldent be hard to get fixed in the us.

CZ-usa is a company all for itself and has supply strings to europe but a lot of assambly and fitting is done in the us.

i dont think it matters for the small stuff, 9,3 cal. and below, as i think it is the same guns but the big stuff is only in america.

best regards

peter

Man, I looked at a CZ in 375 yesterday after reading this thread...horrible as to working the action..felt like it was drug down a gravel road for about 20 miles...

I have 2 smaller ones--one in .17HMR and .204 Ruger---they both shoot really well..but as 9.3 mentioned..had work done to them..

Do NOT agree anyone needs to spend over 10K go get a good functioning gun...have seen several for half that --that worked great...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Ripp]
      #125966 - 06/02/09 07:47 AM

I know many men here don't regard Dakota rifles highly, I had one and it was flawless. A real piece of work. At around $5500 it's price to value ratio is very high IMO. I traded it to a mechanic to perform the annual inspection on my Bonanza plus some upgrades; would love to have another some day.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: bonanza]
      #125967 - 06/02/09 07:49 AM

I think the problem with cz is there has been a bigbore craze and instead of putting out quality low cost weapons they just slap the parts together fast to raise their quanity not quality standards

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #125972 - 06/02/09 08:12 AM

I new a man who worked a Remington in the mid-late 90's and he said they did the same thing, just crank them out.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Huvius
.416 member

#125974 - 06/02/09 08:25 AM

Quote:

As a former federal prosecutor, I can assure that BATF would not know what to do with a .505 Gibbs if once came up and bit it on the arse. We had enough trouble getting agents not to write reports mentioning ".9 mm" pistols and .410 "gauge" shotguns, which they then expected us to present to a Grand Jury.

I'm afraid you would not get far alleging fraud in a case where a firearm failed to feed a cartridge correctly. Since the rifle was manufactured in the Czech Republic, presumably it underwent proof testing and was certified safe to shoot with standard ammunition. That should be enough to mount a successful defense against a charge of negligence, let alone fraud, which is an offence involving criminal intent. Case dismissed!

I guess I am naiive on this then.
Obviously intentional fraud may not have happened here, but just as obviously the 505 was not proof tested with standard ammunition either in the Czech Republic or in the USA, not even tested for proper chambering of a standard round.
What has to happen to reach the level of negligence?
This is not a question of silky smooth feeding or finish quality. It is a question of whether the rifle is even capable of safely firing the ammunition for which it was claimed to fire.

I am not suggesting a knee-jerk lawsuit is appropriate here, I just don't know where poor quality control becomes negligence.
Anyway, from other posts, CZUSA seems reasonable to deal with on post-sale problems.

--------------------

thorshammer
.300 member

#125975 - 06/02/09 08:28 AM

But like I said call cz see what they will do if not send it off to ed plummer and he will make it work

tophet1
.400 member

#125977 - 06/02/09 10:14 AM

I don't want to drag this out but I can't afford to purchase or import a Dakota or an American Hunting Rifles big bore. I can afford to buy a CZ and get it modified and get as good or better value for my money.

Warranty issues aside, CZ's niche is entry level when it comes to Big Bores and if they didn't fill it, someone else would.

I notice that at least four countries are represented here in responses. I'd ask members to please be aware that civil law and criminal law varies across the world and what is negligence in one country may not even rate the issue of a chit in another.

Ripp
.577 member

#125979 - 06/02/09 12:43 PM

Quote:

I new a man who worked a Remington in the mid-late 90's and he said they did the same thing, just crank them out.

FYI--there isn't any major manufacturer in the 1990's or today that isn't doing the same thing..seriously, are you going to tell me Ruger,Winchester, Sako or any other manufacturer other than the custom shops do anything than "just crank them out"?. How about the $17. barrels Ruger was putting on their rifles for a while?? Or has anyone shot a Sako lately that actually shoots under a 2" group.? How about the last few years of the Model 70 Winchester..saw a couple that almost needed a hammer to close the bolt..Went through 5 new Weatherby ligtweights, all in .257 caliber..tried to find 1 that would shoot withing their 1 1/2" criteria...none would do it..finally took a Remington action and had a Hart barrel put on it--presto...1/2" at 100 yards gun...

My point is, if you want real quality anymore in today's "throw away society", IMO, you need to go custom ...but the "junk" being mass produced will still do the job..may need a bit of work but if that is what you want, go for it...

I own all of the above and CZ's to boot..can honestly say, the CZ's are by FAR the roughest I have ever bought..but, with work, are also very accurate..hell, my CZ in 204 shoots every bit as accurate as my Cooper..and for 1/2 the price..

Can say however, have never had a Remington, Winchester or any other firearm where the cartridge it was designed for did NOT chamber the round..that is inexcusable to say the least...

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (06/02/09 11:28 PM)

Bramble
.375 member

#125980 - 06/02/09 12:58 PM

Quote:

ZKK602, which is presently being converted to .500 Jeffery. I am anxious to see how that conversion feeds.

Xausa

Is that being done in London? If so I saw it in the proof house the other week and it looks fine, or there are 2 men of taste building .550J on 602 actions.

Regards

xausa
.400 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Bramble]
      #125993 - 06/02/09 04:30 PM

Me, man of taste? Why, thank you Bramble.

Sorry, my conversion is being done in Wyoming. I just sent out four dummy rounds loaded with 570 grain Kynoch solids to be used in correcting the feeding. I am not terribly sanguine about the results, but I'm prepared to accept the consequences of using an action which is marginal for the caliber. On the other hand, the .505 I'm having built is a serious project and uses a serious action, a Granite Mountain. I'll keep you posted on progress with both projects.

Thanks again for the compliment. It's a nice birthday present for my 70th, coming up a week from tomorrow.

thorshammer
.300 member

#125995 - 06/02/09 05:06 PM

SATTERLEE ARMS also makes a great action for any bigbore project

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
      #126022 - 07/02/09 12:29 AM

very snob like attitudes,i had a 458 lott it was glass bedded double cross bolts,action was smooth,but if you want to brag in camp about how much money you spent on your rifle please do this rifle is very functionable.you can engrave and gold plate a hammer but it still hits the nail no better than the arm that delivers the blow to the nail.wood was nice not fancy but nice.why is it if its not done in england its not done right.but like all else its your right to like what you want.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: bwananelson]
      #126025 - 07/02/09 12:56 AM

Nobody has ever accused me of being a gun snob, but I can say I would be very, very careful about buying a CZ for a DG gun.

This is where my habit of rough functioning guns has really paid off. Granted, my CZ550 wouldn't function with gentle handling and as for my previous CZ527, well...

Now as I've said before, I have a dead reliable 550 that is one of my favorites. But the work to get it there, WOW.

All the while, there sits my SAKO AIII/V in .375. Never a bump along the way till after years of near abuse I got some foreward bedding issues that needed attention. Nearly 3,000 rounds thru it, reblued as it was white. What a gun!!

Would I buy a DG gun from CZ?

Maybe, in one of the more "normal" calibers; .375, .458 Win/Lott, maybe .404.

I would MAKE SURE I had at least a year before any hunt I planned to use it on and I would require it to shoot at least 500 rounds without a hitch before I'd rely on it. I would function it with a full magazine, part mag, from each side of the mag, absolutely dry, soaking wet and gobbed with oil. I would learn its quirks {they all have them} and I would address each one as it pops up AND FIX IT. I'd bed the gun and would not trust factory "wood-only" bedding regardless.

Yes, it would take about a year, probably, and that would barely give enough time to get it to and back from CZ for them to fix any big snag I ran into.

Some guys like their guns to be pristine. I don't give a damn about blue wear or a ding here and there. I do require every gun of mine to be dead reliable.

And my CZ527??

I lost a shot at a stock killer one time. I saw the pack of dogs from the house heading for my horses, grabbed the rifle by the door and ran down to the pheasant cage to get closer. There the high grass obscured them, but when a piece of hip appeared I put the crosshairs on the point and broke the trigger. Number one went down screaming. The rest of the pack ran to it and one gave me a clear shoulder shot. I had already worked the bolt and leaning against the cage I broke the trigger. Nothing. Looking down, I realized the round had not risen and needed to be fumbled with. Done fumbling, the pack was on the railroad tracks heading east fast.

That little CZ527 jammed right when I needed it most. It had a problem no amount of work could repair, a true engineering design fault. It is gone. Tho we shot a number of deer, coyotes and ground squirrels and of course that one dog with it, I couldn't rely on it so out the door it went. Good riddance.

DG Game? Not to me, but those things are dangerous to my stock, and that gun let me down. No other gun will ever do that to me if I have anything to say about it.

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (07/02/09 01:20 AM)

xausa
.400 member

#126030 - 07/02/09 02:16 AM

Reliability in a bolt gun is a beautiful thing. Let me tell you about one of my favorite rifles. a pre-War Model 70 Winchester, serial number in the 27,000 range.

High power competetive shooting on the rifle range involves rapid fire: ten shots standing to sitting in 60 seconds at 200 yards, ten shots standing to prone at 300 yards in 70 seconds. The target is the same at both ranges, with a 3" "X" ring, a 7" "10" ring and a 13" "9" ring.

The shooter starts with a loaded magazine, bolt open, standing up on the firing point. When the targets appear, he goes into position, closes the bolt and fires five shots, then, using a stripper clip, recharges the magazine and fires the remaining five shots. It takes about 12 seconds to get into position and break the first shot and between 8-10 seconds more to break the sixth shot after reloading When you subtract another 5 seconds as a safety margin, the shooter actually has about 35 seconds at 200 yards and 45 seconds at 300 yards to fire the ten shots, about 3.5 to 4.5 seconds per shot, using metallic sights, which have to be aligned with each other and the target for every shot.

It's important that the shots all go on the right target,(there are up to 150 targets in a row at Camp Perry) so a certain amount of time is spent with each shot verifying that the target being aimed at is the correct one. Also, using a rifle chambered for the .308 Winchester cartridge means that there is a certain amount of recoil which must be dealt with.

Having a bolt action which is easy to operate and reliable is a given.

I remember once at the National Matches at Camp Perry I fumbled the reload at 300 yards. I don't remember what exactly happened, but somehow I broke the stripper clip and ended up having to load two rounds individually from the mat. I glanced at my stop watch as I finally closed the bolt and went back into position. 8 seconds left before the targets disappeared. Somehow I blazed them off and when the targets came up, all were at least in the "9" ring. If I had "saved" a round or two, I would have lost 10 points per round. That's not significant compared to getting et, but it meant a lot to me at the time.

I have no idea how many rounds I have through that rifle. but I have worn out several barrels with it at about 6000 rounds per barrel and it has never let me down. That's what I call reliability.

I will never own a hunting rifle which I could test to the extent my target rifles have been tested, but hours of practice in the field, firing countless reduced loads with lead bullets gave me a sense of confidence in them which proved fully justified in the field. That is a practice I would recommend to anyone planning to hunt dangerous game, in Africa or elsewhere, or non-dangerous game, for that matter, where a reliable second shot might make the difference between a quick kill and a long drawn out search for wounded game.

In its previous incarnation as a .375 H&H my ZKK 602, manufactured in the 1960's, was totally reliable. In its new incarnation as a .500 Jeffery, it will have to prove itself.

9.3x57
.450 member

#126043 - 07/02/09 03:34 AM

Thanks Bill!!!

Great account, and a reminder to all those who put their faith and trust in guns off-the-rack.

A great man once said; "Trust, but Verify!"

BTW: An Ole Guy that is building 500's at 70 deserves resounding kudos!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND SEMPER FI!!

--------------------

bigboar
.224 member

#126072 - 07/02/09 09:06 AM

First I like to say: Thank you everyone for the encouragement and advise.

I just got off the phone with AHR, American Hunting Rifles. I guess, these folks are CZ 550 experts. Beside building full custom rifles on the 550 action, they have a thriving business fixing the problems with factory new guns. The action can be smoothed and feed problems corrected for under $100 bucks. Based on the knowledgeable response on the phone and recommendations from this forum, I will probably have them fix the 458 feeding. They offer a very appealing package for $500. That includes a 3 position bolt safety, reshaping the bolt handle and install a new trigger. A full level 1 upgrade should correct any and all potential reliability issues. That is the claim. Opinions?

So for somewhere between 1100 and 1500 it appears, I can have a good to better 458 Lott. I guess the next good day over 40 degrees (F), I will test fire the Lott. Find out if both myself and the rifle can deliver the goods.

I mentioned (maybe not clearly) the 505 Gibbs has been returned to the factory. Depending how this comes back it may get the above mentioned package. The more I fondle the ammo, the more I have my heart set on a 505. I think at this point there is no turning back.

Thats where it stands for now.

tophet1
.400 member

#126076 - 07/02/09 09:18 AM

That's what it's all about mate: if your heart is 'in it' then your brain will find a way to fix the problems. Enjoy your rifles.

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: tophet1]
      #126077 - 07/02/09 09:38 AM

Ed plummers operation of fixing czs from what ive herd from friends and other smiths is top notch and worth every penny but also may want him to add a cross bolt or 2 being is cz tend to split their stocks and I think the rule is as anything over 338 cross bolt is a must

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
      #126089 - 07/02/09 11:20 AM

i did read that the cz was the most common rifle at the PH testing in africa.must be something there.BTW i dont mean anything about the snobish remark but it seems if its not an old english H+H is not up to the job.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

bigboar
.224 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: bwananelson]
      #126096 - 07/02/09 12:14 PM

These two guns are both equipped with 2 cross bolts (each). Apparently some early production rifles were not and now that problem has been corrected.

tophet1
.400 member

#126110 - 07/02/09 02:30 PM

Keep us posted bigboar on what happens to those rifles, and welcome to the forum mate. Good choice.

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
      #126114 - 07/02/09 05:11 PM

Quote:

My first thoughts when reading this went something along these lines. Because not only was my CZ550 presumably proof tested, it was shipped with a test target.

That is certainly a well stocked Cabela's you have near you, if you can go pick up ammo for a .505 Gibbs. What brand of ammo did you use?

The reason I ask is because my second thought went something like this: CZ USA is just the importer; CZ is still the manufacturer. All their firearms are tested at the Czech proof house before they could be offered for sale. And the Czech Republic is a member of C.I.P., which is analogous to SAAMI but for Europe, so the Czech proof house would conduct its testing according to the same standards as those in Great Britain, Spain, etc. I'd hazard a guess that CZ would have chambered their rifle according to whatever dimensions the certifying body says are the dimensions of the .505 Gibbs cartridge.

If the ammo they used in the Czech Republic was dimensioned to C.I.P. standards and the ammo you used wasn't, I could see a problem. The dimensions might differ.

I don't really know much about the .505 Gibbs, but I do know that was a potential pitfall when manufacturers thought about bringing back the .500 Jeffery. Dimensions of the cartridge and chamber varied between manufacturers.

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

#126171 - 08/02/09 05:00 AM

Quote:

Ed plummers operation of fixing czs from what ive herd from friends and other smiths is top notch and worth every penny but also may want him to add a cross bolt or 2 being is cz tend to split their stocks and I think the rule is as anything over 338 cross bolt is a must

Ed Plummer retired in 2007. He sold his operation to Wayne Jacobson. Which isn't to say that AHR doesn't do good work anymore since Ed left. Wayne worked with Ed before the shop changed hands, so I'm sure the quality now is just as good as before the transition.

Just to clarify my previous post. CZ-USA doesn't manufacture the CZ product line. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of CZ in the Czech Republic. It is the US distributor of CZ products, and also the warranty service center.

I suppose the fact they recently set up a custom here in the US muddies the waters a little, but they still don't manufacture the off-the shelf products. I pulled out the paperwork from my files just to make sure I had my ducks in a row. My CZ550 Safari Magnum was also distributed by CZ-USA. But the paperwork clearly states it was made in the Czech Republic.

So, as I said, I'm unclear as to how a rifle manufactured in the Czech Republic to CIP standards and proof tested at the Czech government proof house could have possibly slipped through without being properly chambered.

Second, when a round of ammo doesn't chamber in a rifle, there is more than one variable involved. The ammo also could be at fault. That would be my first suspicion, not only for the above reasons but also because my CZ550 in 416 was delivered to me with a test target. I'd take that as evidence that it functioned and fired with whatever ammo the manufacturer used. I'd first try to find out what type of ammo the manufacturer used to test the rifle. Then determine if the ammo I used, or if reloads the dies I used, were manufactured according to the same set of dimensions.

I obviously don't have any experience with the "Safari Classic" line; are you saying they charge several order of magnitudes over their regular line of Safari Magnums, but don't proof test or function check them with the same rigor as the lower priced models? There wasn't a test target included with the paperwork that came with the rifle?

I'm not saying that such things as a 505 Gibbs rifle that won't chamber 505 Gibbs ammo can't happen. There are tons of stories of S&W N-frame revolvers being shipped with barrels marked and bored for 44 mag ammo and cylinders bored for the 41 mag cartridge. S&W had its quality control issues, too, during its history depending on what consortium owned it. But S&W revolvers weren't sent to an independent agency to be double checked and proofed before being shipped.

bigboar
.224 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #126197 - 08/02/09 06:52 AM

ChinaFleet...

The 505 ammo from Cabelas was A Square. I also had one round that had been formed from 577 Bell brass. I forgot who did that, I just picked up one round to show my friends. But that extra round was something to give me confidence the A Square was sized correctly. Cabelas can special order anything you need, but it turned out they just happened to have to boxes in the Gun Library room. The 505 A square is or was listed on their web site.

Neither gun came with a test target. I just double check my file folder to be sure. This is very odd indeed. You have a target with your 416.

Yes, you have a point about the Safari Classic thats $3k and the almost identical American is $1k. The difference you ask? First is the sling stud is mounted on the bbl as opposed to the stock. Second is the wood is better. Not fancy and not even as nice as Ruger, but a definite step up on the wood. The shape of the stock is identical. Same sights, same magazine depth, same trigger and even same recoil pad same finish and checkering. The 505 does boast multiple recoil damping devices. I had assumed these guns would be given some extra TLC, but apparently they offer calibers not available else where and you pay for the limited demand special runs. And in the case of 505 extra measures to dampen the recoil.

Keep in mind that not only did the 505 fail to chamber but the bore was rough and scratched the cases when only partially chambered. Although a different standard for ammo would explain a lot. I sent two rounds to Kansas City. The shipping was handled by the dealer who ordered the gun for me. So; if he did his job they got sample ammo, shipped separately.

thorshammer
.300 member

#126205 - 08/02/09 08:08 AM

Just imagine the fun some guys are going to have trying to get the new 425 wr to feed from cz

doubleriflenut
.300 member

Reged: 27/11/08
Loc: Chile
      #126207 - 08/02/09 08:11 AM

Other members are correct when the say "a CZ is a good platform to start with". I have a brand new one that is in 458 Lott with the deluxe wood. The inletting was obviously completed by someone with a chain saw and the entire piece is generally crude. the action is basically very strong and with some de-horning and smoothing would be great. I will buy the CZ actions from Brownell's, send them to PacNor for barrel and chamber work,and select a good stock maker to complete the job. I would also find a metal to add a second recoil lug to the barrel and smooth the action like the old pre-war Rigby's. Then you will have a rifle that will be perfect in my humble opinion.

doubleriflenut
.300 member

#126209 - 08/02/09 08:12 AM

That will be a feat of monumental proportions!

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: doubleriflenut]
      #126212 - 08/02/09 08:26 AM

If they can pull off the 425 ill be in shock and awe

9.3x57
.450 member

#126228 - 08/02/09 10:50 AM

Quote:

The inletting was obviously completed by someone with a chain saw and the entire piece is generally crude.

I forgot to mention I am dead certain a banana was used as a template for the fore stock profiling...

the action is basically very strong and with some de-horning and smoothing would be great.

As I mentioned in my thread on my 6.5x55-to-9.3x62 project, on top of all my feed work I did, my bolt stuck in the back position after a time and had to be sort-of jiggled to go forward. Locking lugs were not beveled properly so I introduced them to Mr Dremel and after a while I got that sorted out. The mechanical mayhem I put up with to get it where it is today is frightful, but the gun is now dead reliable, truly controlled feed and working the action nearly feels like a Krag. I really like it. Had I not been inclined to work on it, the thing would have cost a lot of money to get right or would have been better served as a tomato stake. No gun of whatever price should have ever left the factory like mine did.

Fellows, does anyone know if CZ550's have ever been purchased by any African game departments??? If so, in what calibers, and has anyone seen one close enough to know if it is more than a single shot held together by duct tape?

--------------------

tophet1
.400 member

#126231 - 08/02/09 12:02 PM

I would just like to add some balance to the discussion on CZ quality.

I purchased a CZ550 American last year in .308W (as most of you know).
I had the trigger rebuilt to a single stage from the set trigger as that is what I like.
The action was rough to cycle until I used a heavy viscosity lubricant (forget the name) and cycled the action a couple of dozen times.
I worked out a load and took it to Africa and took 7 animals with 7 shots at ranges from 40 metres to 150 metres.

Since then I have had the rifle bedded in anticipation of longer range ( 300-400 yard ) shots at Springbok.

The rifle is fine apart from that.

I will agree, it seems that CZ quality is a bit of a lottery for the members here but there are good ones out there.

doubleriflenut
.300 member

#126240 - 08/02/09 12:41 PM

LMAO!!!! I like the banana for a stock pattern! I also forgot to mention that the barrel needs to have a decent crown machined as the existing one is just begging to be damaged. A good smith could work the interior of the action over and make it very nice. Like I said, I will buy their actions(CZ) but not the complete rifles. I would not encourage the use of a Dremmel tool unless the user knows what he is doing. I also forgot to mention that the recoil lugs on my rifle were only making contact with about 30% of each lug, so the barrel needs to be pulled so the action can be squared and the lugs lapped into perfect contact. I am also amazed at the funny recoil lug that they used? Weird to say the least. I would scrap that as well and have a lug soldered on the barrel. Finally a pair of cross bolts would be nice and very functional as well. Just my opinion.

doubleriflenut
.300 member

#126241 - 08/02/09 12:45 PM

That is good news! I am certain that a good number of rifles will be sold that will have no problems at all. The problem is that ALL of them should be inspected and go through a QC person prior to sending them to dealers. If the rifle is for dangerous game, the problem(s) are much more serious.

Bramble
.375 member

#126244 - 08/02/09 01:16 PM

Quote:

Just imagine the fun some guys are going to have trying to get the new 425 wr to feed from cz

The "new" .425WR is not a problem to make feed. It was designed to fit a standard, not magnum M98 action in 1909. It is only 3.30" long (shorter than a 30-06 and shares the same head diamiter. The case diamiter is about that of the .404 so the rails will need easing, but that is about all.

Regards

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

#126254 - 08/02/09 02:48 PM

Quote:

Neither gun came with a test target. I just double check my file folder to be sure. This is very odd indeed. You have a target with your 416.

I do indeed have a test target that came with my 416. It's entirely in Czech, of course, but it's clear what information it was intended to convey. It was shot at 100 meters, is stamped with the rifle's chambering, has my rifle's serial no. written in the appropriate field, and it's signed and stamped by an inspector.

This is very odd. That a manufacturer would lower its QC standards for its most expensive models, below what it maintains for its lower end products. It isn't that CZ doesn't know how to build a rifle or maintain a certain quality level. It's just a matter of consistently doing what the company has demonstrated it already knows how to do.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer let quality slip. The same thing happened at S&W, Colt, and Winchester. Poor QC is one of the stated reasons USRAC quit manufacturing rifles in New Haven.

450_366
.400 member

#126268 - 08/02/09 06:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I do indeed have a test target that came with my 416. It's entirely in Czech, of course, but it's clear what information it was intended to convey. It was shot at 100 meters, is stamped with the rifle's chambering, has my rifle's serial no. written in the appropriate field, and it's signed and stamped by an inspector.

This is very odd. That a manufacturer would lower its QC standards for its most expensive models, below what it maintains for its lower end products. It isn't that CZ doesn't know how to build a rifle or maintain a certain quality level. It's just a matter of consistently doing what the company has demonstrated it already knows how to do.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer let quality slip. The same thing happened at S&W, Colt, and Winchester. Poor QC is one of the stated reasons USRAC quit manufacturing rifles in New Haven.

They do build 416 in their own magnum range at cz so its not that strange, but i think peter is right about the big ones.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

9.3x57
.450 member

#126304 - 09/02/09 02:00 AM

Quote:

I am also amazed at the funny recoil lug that they used?

I must be getting older...

I forgot to add; the 9.3x62 barrel came with a deep dovetail cut into the CHAMBER and in it, dangling, barely on and easily removed WITH THE FINGERS was a second recoil lug*.

It flopped about like a dewclaw on a hound's leg.

Expectations of results in gun buying should not be akin to expectations associated with buying Lotto tickets. The win is merely what you paid for in the case of the gun, and in the case of Lotto something significantly more. Granted, the odds seem similar in both circumstances.

My gun represents both poor initial setup {6.5x55 issues, stocking, feeding, action roughness/disfunction} AND further screwups associated with the rebarreling; wrong mag box & follower and that weird recoil shoulder abortion. And, the promised "reworked extractor" never materialized, even after followup calls. And I haven't posted a pic of the up-close of my bolt head machining.

If I sound critical, it is because I am critical.

I would not doubt for one second that the top-end guns are worse put together than the bottom end guns. No insults intended and none earned on this Forum, but seriously, in my gun-selling days I found rich guys to be alot easier to dupe than auto workers. How many ultra-heavies get shot more than 20 times? The ones that are probably are worked over so hard by the buyer and nothing is mentioned due to sheer embarassment of the buyer. Regardless of the motivation, they ARE worked over by those that shoot them. I'm guessing there...

Heck, even the 9.3x62 American written up in the article by Gash in Rifle a few years ago came from the factory with...AN EIGHT POUND TRIGGER!

Obviously somebody in the CZ plant mixed up the Skorpion submachinegun specs with the 550 moose gun specs when they assembled Steve's rifle.

A reliable .425?

In the final analysis, in my opinion, I strongly recommend ANY buyer of a CZ to think hard before doing so. I'm not telling you NOT to, but... Honestly, if you do not know how to use a Dremel, files, emery paper, chisel, bedding compound and have difficulty following UPS shipping directions OR unless you have easy liquidity in your skyrocketing stock portfolio, buy something else. Regardless, give yourself lots of time to MAKE sure the gun works before buying a special rifle for an expensive hunt.

Can you make a great rifle out of a cob? Absolutely. I generally like the design of the gun actions and like the idea about using one for a custom gun, but my opinionated recommendations remain. Be careful. Don't buy one of these guns and have your heart set on zeroing it in and heading for Africa in a week.

* NB: What in the world is a second recoil shoulder even doing on a 9.3x62...??

--------------------

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

#126323 - 09/02/09 04:28 AM

Quote:

Regardless, give yourself lots of time to MAKE sure the gun works before buying a special rifle for an expensive hunt.

. . . Don't buy one of these guns and have your heart set on zeroing it in and heading for Africa in a week.

And this wouldn't go for any rifle, why?

I can't honestly understand why anyone would think they should just buy a rifle, sight it in, then take it on an expensive hunt, particularly for dangerous game.

I've read reviews of John Rigby & Co. rifles that developed problems that required a gunsmith's attention. A few rounds to zero the rifle at the range may not reveal something you ought to know about your rifle before heading out. I wouldn't assume any rifle I bought was reliable enough to bet my life on regardless of brand name; it's going to have to demonstrate that fact.

The rule of thumb for a carry gun is that you must put at least 200 rounds of the load you intend to use through it, without any malfunctions, before you can consider carrying it. Personally, I don't think you need to expend as much ammo through a bolt-action rifle as through a semi-auto pistol before you can consider it reliable. The same principle applies; I'm not taking the rifle out after something that can hurt me until I know it works.

The fact is that no rifle is ready to go after dangerous game just out-of-the-box. It takes some shooting before it's ready.

Quote:

They do build 416 in their own magnum range at cz so its not that strange, but i think peter is right about the big ones.

This may be, but they're still sold as a CZ brand rifle, by a US subsidiary wholly owned and controlled by the Czech manufacturer whose name is on the entire product line. It would seem to me they could at the very least require every rifle sold with their company's name on it go through the same internal testing procedures. And frankly I find it amazing that the parent company would sign off on a project like this, to produce high-end special runs of their product, and abandon whatever quality controls it does have in place just for those products.

Huvius
.416 member

#126331 - 09/02/09 05:29 AM

[quote
I can't honestly understand why anyone would think they should just buy a rifle, sight it in, then take it on an expensive hunt, particularly for dangerous game.

I guess because it has been done this way for about 100yrs.
Not defending this, just an observation.
I doubt much of the world's aristocracy took the time to run 200 rounds through their rifle prior to going out after tiger, lion, buffalo or elephant.
Of course they had the luxury of buying the best, which the CZ is obviously not. Not a dig at CZ, they are building to a price and handwork costs $$$. Probably not many out there willing to part with $10K for a CZ IMO when you can pick up a Mag Mauser for that.
Speaking of the newer Mausers, anybody here have one in 500Jeff. or 404? Any issues?

--------------------

thorshammer
.300 member

#126337 - 09/02/09 06:06 AM

Those new mausers are just glorified by their names not even owned by mauser anymore they are owned by the same company that owns blaser

9.3x57
.450 member

#126349 - 09/02/09 07:41 AM

Quote:

And this wouldn't go for any rifle, why?

It would. I agree with you.

All guns have warts, but to give a specific example, my Rugers have had far fewer warts than my two CZ's, and from what I have read and from what I have seen from handling others, CZ's seem to have allot of warts.

They can be cleaned up, but require allot more "Compound W" than my Rugers, SAKO, Remingtons, Savage, Mausers, Marlins, Winchesters, etc...

--------------------

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #126351 - 09/02/09 07:56 AM

Quote:

All guns have warts, but to give a specific example, my Rugers have had far fewer warts than my two CZ's, and from what I have read and from what I have seen from handling others, CZ's seem to have allot of warts.

They can be cleaned up, but require allot more "Compound W" than my Rugers, SAKO, Remingtons, Savage, Mausers, Marlins, Winchesters, etc...

I've been trying to stay out of this thread, but I can't stand by without pointing out that CZ does do it right sometimes. My CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55mm works very well, right out of the box. It has a very nice stock, a very nice trigger, and it is very accurate. It does push feed, which I suppose is a flaw, but it's an insignificant flaw on a non-DG rifle. The average 100-yard group size is 0.9 inches, and the worst group it has ever shot was 1.5 inches, with a 4x scope. It regularly produces groups around 0.7 inch and equally often about 1.1 inches. It has never failed to feed, and has never failed to fire. The action does not feel "slick" like my Sako 75, but it is quite functional. I'm planning to carry the CZ as my backup rifle on a handgun hunt for wild hogs this spring.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Bramble
.375 member

#126352 - 09/02/09 08:03 AM

Quote:

[quote

I doubt much of the world's aristocracy took the time to run 200 rounds through their rifle prior to going out after tiger, lion, buffalo or elephant.
Of course they had the luxury of buying the best, which the CZ is obviously not. Not a dig at CZ, they are building to a price and handwork costs $$$. Probably not many out there willing to part with $10K for a CZ IMO when you can pick up a Mag Mauser for that.
Speaking of the newer Mausers, anybody here have one in 500Jeff. or 404? Any issues?

Respectfully. I think we should get away from the ides that all of these rifles that we treasure now were owned at some time by the aristocracy or the landed gentry.

Many, if not most of them, were owned by army officers, civil servants, farmers, Ph's ect.
Their salaries were comensurate with people of similar status now. Most were just working grade guns. They were relativly expensive, but people generaly owned only one or two guns. The tales of PH's of the time owning cabinets full are I believe eronious. If you read Taylor sometime , add up the value of the guns he "owned" it comes in modern money to millions of pounds worth.

If you bought a gun from a decent maker you should be able to take it out of the case and just go hunt, personally I believe that it should still be like that. It should have been sighted in by the maker prior to giving it to you. The reason was fairly simple, people then in the majority knew damm all about guns, same as now realy, except they saw no shame in letting their gunmaker do the technical part for them. There was no handloading and they let the maker choose the cartridges for them based on where in the world they were going to use the product. For all that they killed a hell of a lot of game. They treated these guns as the tools that they are.
Now it is different, they are objects of desire and recreational items in the majority. People want to tinker with them, make them shoot bullets and loads that they were never designed for etc.etc.

It is now a sin for a gunmaker to actually shoot the product prior to dispach. I had a new Marlin traded to me. BNIB, I ran a mag full through it for function. When I went to trade it out I could only sell it as used. I have been told that if you turn the cylinder on a colectable SAA you can half its value

So the question is really, do people want a "New" gun or one that works. A novelty item, or a tool all be it a beautiful one, they cant realy have it both ways. No maker can supply a bolt never turned BNIB gun and guarentee that it will work.

Regards

Naren
.224 member

Reged: 05/04/08
Loc: Somewhere
      #126353 - 09/02/09 08:05 AM

Quote:

Those new mausers are just glorified by their names not even owned by mauser anymore they are owned by the same company that owns blaser

SIGARMS only makes the new "push-feed" Mausers M03. Mauser 98`s are made by Gottfried Prechtl and they are known for their supreme quality... They really stand up to their Mauser name.

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

#126354 - 09/02/09 08:38 AM

Quote:

[quote

That's the legend. Once you start looking at the past without rose colored glasses, you'll find the reality of the situation to be quite different.

CZs wouldn't be the first mass produced, affordable rifle intended for Africa that doesn't function as the buyer would hope 100% of the time. Other British, American, and European makers pioneered the concept long before the internet was invented.

Huvius
.416 member

#126355 - 09/02/09 08:39 AM

Quote:

If you bought a gun from a decent maker you should be able to take it out of the case and just go hunt, personally I believe that it should still be like that. It should have been sighted in by the maker prior to giving it to you.
...So the question is really, do people want a "New" gun or one that works. A novelty item, or a tool all be it a beautiful one, they cant realy have it both ways. No maker can supply a bolt never turned BNIB gun and guarentee that it will work.

I mostly agree with this with the exception of the notion that a cycled action is no longer "new".
IMO, cycling and test firing is all part of the pre-sale preparation of any gun. Would the London proof house pass the 505 discussed here? NO WAY!
Would you accept a new double rifle which is off face or needs to be smoked and fit simply because it is not "cost effective" for the maker to do the hand work?
Of course not.
BTW, many of us have comparatively high dollar guns, but $2000 or so for a CZ is still not cheap - especially when you consider further work needed to bring it up to scratch.
$2K should get you an "out of the box" gun ready to go anywhere IMO.

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#126357 - 09/02/09 09:32 AM

Oh, Tom! Just when I'm done with this thread...

Interestingly, the CZ site says:

"· Mauser style claw extractor
· Square bridge receiver
· Hammer forged barrel
· Single set trigger

The Mauser style claw extractor for positive loading and extraction..."

The references to Mauser extractor implies CRF, but doesn't actually say it is, I admit.

I must admit I never had any trouble getting a case out of the chamber on my guns so I can affirm their extractor was at least positive in that regard.

But "positive loading"? I think it is correct to say that most reading the advert would assume CZ extractors ACT like Mauser extractors in controlling feed as well as yanking the empty out of the barrel hole. World-reknowned gun writers have called the CZ action a CRF so they must have been bamboozled, too.

So ya know: In some calibers the extractor is modified at the factory to a pushfeed type because the actions are one-size-fits-most jacks-of-all-trades and thus the extractors cannot act properly on the case.

Which calibers? Ahh, that's the Lottery!

Fun, isn't it?

Like Tom I do not care about Dangerous Game but unlike Tom I do not like the fact that my gun was a pushfeed {I fixed it, now it is a CRF}. I think that the "positive loading" "Spiel" is sufficient implication of traditional Mauser design and appears to be an attempt to confuse and distort the truth so the unsuspecting like like me and Tom buy one thinking that it is a CRF action. At least we both thought so in a past post dealing with it and I bet others thought so, too.

Tom's gun is a good one.

Like I said, don't avoid CZ. Just know what you might be getting yourself into.

--------------------

Bramble
.375 member

#126363 - 09/02/09 10:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If you bought a gun from a decent maker you should be able to take it out of the case and just go hunt, personally I believe that it should still be like that. It should have been sighted in by the maker prior to giving it to you.
...So the question is really, do people want a "New" gun or one that works. A novelty item, or a tool all be it a beautiful one, they cant realy have it both ways. No maker can supply a bolt never turned BNIB gun and guarentee that it will work.

I mostly agree with this with the exception of the notion that a cycled action is no longer "new".
IMO, cycling and test firing is all part of the pre-sale preparation of any gun. Would the London proof house pass the 505 discussed here? NO WAY!
Would you accept a new double rifle which is off face or needs to be smoked and fit simply because it is not "cost effective" for the maker to do the hand work?
Of course not.
BTW, many of us have comparatively high dollar guns, but $2000 or so for a CZ is still not cheap - especially when you consider further work needed to bring it up to scratch.
$2K should get you an "out of the box" gun ready to go anywhere IMO.

I absolutly agree with you. I think that the notion of BNIB is silly, but I understand, that it is what "collectors" expect.
What I was attempting to do was to point out the dicotomy of the situation.

And I also agree with you that I would never send out a gun in that condition, nor would I accept one. As I said in my first post 4 pages ago, I would be banging on the dealers desk by now.

Yes $2000.00 is not cheep, but it is IMHO not enough money to make a bitch of a cartridge like a .505 chamber well, it needs to be hand fitted not a mass produced item. So in that respect it may be too cheep for what is an exotic item. I have never heard anything but praise for CZ's rimfire range for example, it seems just to be that because of the market demand they have overreached in the cost-v-quality equation.
It seems to be prevelent with guns, one just has to look at all the discussion when Winchester closed, to expect manufacturers to produce hand fitted and finished guns for a few hundred dollers (or pounds) when at the same time 1 hours labour at a service department of a factory car costs $ 100 perhaps (here it is £120.00 per hour). It just cannot be done and stay in business.

Regards

9.3x57
.450 member

#126367 - 09/02/09 10:58 AM

Quote:

at the same time 1 hours labour at a service department of a factory car costs $ 100 perhaps (here it is £120.00 per hour). It just cannot be done and stay in business.

This may indeed be the crux of the whole issue.

Maybe bolt rifles should be sold as some muzzle loaders are; as "kit guns".

I am not kidding. State the nature of the unfinished work honestly and completely, and sell the gun as "semi-finished". The buyer gets a proofed barreled action and cobbles as he can, or has a g-smith do it. No baloney, I like the concept.

Seems like 90% of the warts I run into are issues that involve final or near final fitting or finish tho they may indeed affect function. I have many times found myself hunched over a new gun wondering why the Ape didn't just leave it alone for me to do rather than mucking with it at all.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #126370 - 09/02/09 11:05 AM

I agree - I'd rather finish the gun to not only fit me but to function flawlessly - myself. It's a lot of fun to play and should save some $$ as well.

I've never bought a new gun that didn't need work - they all need bedding or re-bedding - some need magazine work and most have finishes I don't like.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Bramble
.375 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: DarylS]
      #126378 - 09/02/09 12:16 PM

Well it is a very interesting proposition.

As a company I would be attractive to me to supply completly finished metalwork and guarenteed faultless feeding, proofed and ready to go. Shot and regulated. Or in the white if somebody wants to arrange their own engraving.
The woodwork takes time and is a large part of the cost. That way a customer could decide on their spending level by supplying and finishing the wood themselves.

Food for thought.

Regards

9.3x57
.450 member

#126379 - 09/02/09 12:50 PM

Along with a line of synthetic and wood stocks, fully profiled but with inletting engineered to be epoxy bedded. Tolerances could be left great enough that all stock work at the factory could be finished by machine only, but no particular skill at woodworking would be necessary by the buyer, since the epoxy bedding would take care of that.

Heck, the stock product line could include wood stocks that are 100% finished on the outside, fully shaped but unfinished or left only rough-shaped, not to mention a wide array of synthetic stocks.

Would encourage a healthy gunsmithing industry also.

I'm liking this idea.

Of course, it already exists in the form of Brownells, etc, but at this juncture assembling a gun costs more than a similar gun would cost new due to the basic requisite need for significant gunsmithing skills to assemble. The Factory Kit Gun would bedesigned to eliminate the entire NEED for skilled gunsmithing and economies of scale could be used to produce a good pricepoint.

C'mon guys, somebody should listen up in light of the fact that gunmakers keep having to try to sell guns to the same people who already own them. This might give a guy a personal tough without the cost and trouble of a true custom gun and give him something he doesn't already have.

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#126380 - 09/02/09 12:53 PM

This concept already also exists with military-type guns here in the US. LOTS of AR's and FNFAL's and AK's are assembled from kits.

There is no technical reason I'm aware of that this concept couldn't migrate to nice sporting guns.

--------------------

Bramble
.375 member

#126383 - 09/02/09 01:30 PM

It would certainly mean that people could perhaps aford the exotics which are out of reach now.

I could see sending out a barreled action with a D+T reciever, that is proofed and tested. And then Safety and trigger and botton metal, mounts etc left for the customer who could choose from a list.

If a standard action was used then there is a plethoria of wood or synthetic stocks.

Would you see them as blued or in the white ?

Regards

9.3x57
.450 member

#126385 - 09/02/09 01:55 PM

Both.

Stainless steel also.

Be nice if the bbl action was factory d/t for various iron sights as well and a nice line of irons could be made to fit even a finish blued gun. The finish over the blank screws wouldn't add much cost and would seem to me to be a jig/fixture and machine deal with little labor involved.

Honestly, since this thread was originally about CZ's, the CZ line would look like a natural. They make a good solid action that needs a bit of TLC. If they did that, they could leave the final stocking up to those that possess opposable thumbs.

--------------------

tophet1
.400 member

#126389 - 09/02/09 02:12 PM

Like the kit cars and pallet cars they send OS to be reassembled in other countries, this concept would still require the final firearm to be proof tested or otherwise authorised to be sound before use.

I'd submit that the idea is sound to enthusiasts, but like the kits car market, economies of scale may not exist and costs excessive.

Sorry to rain on your parade guys but I just wanted to mention the safety aspect.

9.3x57
.450 member

#126390 - 09/02/09 02:15 PM

Quote:

Sorry to rain on your parade guys but I just wanted to mention the safety aspect.

The safety issue Bramble already solved. The bbl action is proved. Doesn't need a stock for that.

Whether the idea has a good financial future is a different story. I don't know about that, but it might work at least as a "model". Any gun company could easily test the concept with a line of "kit guns".

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #126426 - 09/02/09 07:55 PM

Bramble, I don't think you mean you can expect a rifle sighted in by someone else (single barrel rifle) to be accurate for a different person do you ? I had a bizzare experience in Africa last
October. I had taken 2 rifles with me (a .44 Marlin for short light stuff and a .470 NE for a hippo).
At the last place I visited we had 4 or 5 days for plains game and the chap there offered me the loan of his two rifles, a synthetic stainless bolt action based on a Winchester in .375 H&H and
another rifle, exactly the same in .26-06, both very nice custom pieces scoped by Swarovzski.
We got there early afternoon and decided to have a wander and see what we could. Chap told me he shotthe rifles very often and both were sighted OK. Towards the end of the afternoon we saw a decent Impala ram about 100 yds away facing me. I had a shot at him off the sticks with the .375
aiming at the middle of his chest. Bang !! Nothing "You shot way high" my PH said. "What a twat I am" I thought to myself but was puzzled as I can usually call a flier like that and I thought I had got the shot off decently. Next morning we went to the range, at 100yds the .375 for me was shooting
about 14" high at 100 yds if I recall correctly and the .25-06 about 6" high at 100 yds ???

I have asked a few people about this and haven't had an aswer yet ? Maybe they had both been out
of whack to start with.

p.s we went on to shoot 5 head of game over the next 3 or 4 days and I was lucky
to get 5 one shot kills except a sick waterbuck who was down but not out and got aother .375 from
40yds after we got near him.

any ideas, best, Mike

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #126454 - 10/02/09 12:06 AM

Quote:

I have asked a few people about this and haven't had an aswer yet ? Maybe they had both been out
of whack to start with.

any ideas, best, Mike

That's not unusual at all and, in fact, is quite common. It's all about relative head position on the stock in relation to the scope and reticle, and how you pull the trigger. Since no two people are built exactly alike or pull the rigger in exactly the same way, the rifle will typically shoot differently for each individual. If you are relatively tall and the PH you borrowed the rifle from was short, the difference is that much more pronounced.

This is quite an interesting thread!! I wonder if any of the folks from CZ USA have peeked in?

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

#126459 - 10/02/09 01:35 AM

Mike,

When I was in college, I was heavy into varmint (crows and groundhogs) shooting. I had a friend who wanted to participate, so I was able to locate a nice Oberndorf military action for $25.00 (this was in the 50's), my gunsmith friend had a good medium varmint weight take-off barrel in .250-3000, which he cut off and rechambered to .257 Roberts and fitted for $40.00, my Marine Corps Reserve Unit had an arrangement to buy scopes wholesale from Unertl, so I got a 1" target scope for another $40.00 and added a Fajan stock for about $12.50. By the time the rifle was assembled, it had cost about $125.00, plus sweat equity in the form of stock fitting and finishing.

We took it out to the range and I sighted it in using 75 grain Sierra handloads and then went hunting with it. After my friend had missed several shots in a row, he complained about the rifle not being sighted in correctly, so I took my next shot with it. It so happened that I was able to line up two crows facing opposite directions on a limb and get both with one shot, dispelling any notion of a faulty sight adjustment (I thought).

Some time later, this same friend and I were at the rifle range with my gunsmith friend, who was shooting groups off the bench at 200 yards with his Hart barrelled .220 Swift Model 70. After he had shot several in the 1" to 1 1/2" range, he turned the rifle over to me and I shot a similar group at virtually the same point of impact. Then my friend took his turn, and to our amazement shot a group identical to ours, but about 3 1/2" low and 1 1/2" to the right. This was using a 10X Unertl scope with fine cross hairs and shooting from a sand bag rest.

This was the first and only time I ever experienced two shooters shooting to different points of aim with a scope, but that one experience was enough to convince me that it CAN happen.

9.3x57
.450 member

#126462 - 10/02/09 01:55 AM

My son and I shoot quite a bit together.

We are both left-shoulder shooters.

When we shoot from sitting at 200 yards we obviosly shoot to different POI's. I cannot prove, but am certain this has do with the way the rifle recoils due to differences in hold. While the bullet is in the barrel, the gun is moving. The gun moves differently depending on what is bracing it. In this case, his arms and knees vs my arms and knees.

Looked at that way, I suppose it seems a wonder how any two people CAN shoot to the same POI.

You can play this game with yourself.

Shoot your favorite deer/elk/roo/buff/jaguar rifle from the bench. Use traditional bench technique {both hands on buttstock}. Now shoot with support hand pulling the forestock hard into the bags. Now shoot with support hand UNDER the front bag held hard. Now shoot with the support hand held under the front bag and the gun held loosely.

Your groups will probably be larger/smaller depending on method of hold, but look at the center of group. With many rifles you will see a group POI change.

No wonder it occurs then between two people.

--------------------

Bramble
.375 member

#126466 - 10/02/09 02:46 AM

Quote:

Bramble, I don't think you mean you can expect a rifle sighted in by someone else (single barrel rifle) to be accurate for a different person do you ?
any ideas, best, Mike

OK, I was being a little naughty.

With open sights/aperture it is extremely likely that a gun will shoot as near POI for the vast majority of different people as to make no difference at hunting ranges.
Yes as has been pointed out above, hold will make a difference to some extent as will gross differences in eyesight.

Scopes can be more problematic for some. Scopes effectively have a short sighting plane. ie the distance between the rear lens and the reticule. This magnifies errors in. Head position, eyesight, and hold. It is a bit like trying to shoot tiny groups with a handgun like the ones it can shoot from a machine rest. It is not a problem with the accuracy of a fine revolver but the short sighting plane. Where you eyes occular centre is can make a heap of difference as can astigmatism etc.

Also there is a bit of psychology involved. If you never shot your rifle on paper and every time you took a shot at an animal it fell over you would never question if it was shooting 2 or 3 inches off. That was exactly what people did. Now we are much more critical about our shooting but hunt less. It is like shotguns, how many people ever pattern them or have one fitted. Most people are happy with theirs, it goes bang and things drop out of the sky. I bet a fiver that 90% don't shoot to POA for their owners.

The difference you experienced in Africa is I believe at the extreme end of what can be anticipated so gives lie to my theory. In that case I think it is hold and recoil reaction/barrel lift. That the 375 had twice the error of a 25-06 is I believe the clue here.

Regards

Edited by Bramble (10/02/09 10:26 AM)

farshot
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/06
Loc: Alberta Canada
      #126467 - 10/02/09 03:06 AM

I am interested in this thread

My last count I have owned dozens (used and new) of BRNO and CZ from rimfire to .458 Win, singles, bolts and doubles and I must say I did not have a lemon out of any of them. My .416 Rigby hogback was $1015 CDN (purchase about 3 years ago) and I bedded it, cross bolted it, worked up a quick load with spire points and solids and proceeded to hammer endless sub-moa groups with it. No feeding issues, no hang ups, no stock splits - nothing but fun for the cost of the rifle plus bedding and bolting (the same thing I do with other rifles be they SIGs, Mausers or whatever btw). Same with my .458. Are they rough to start ? maybe a bit but that is no issue after a while.

The safety - I don't ever use them ever so I dont care if one goes one way and the other goes somewhere else.

I cannot speak to the newest Safari Grade rifles as I have not used one.

I do not view them as "kit rifles" anymore then I view any other rifle.

They have been to Africa, up the side of mountains, bush and fields in Canada, ...rattled around in trucks, in temperatures of -40 to +40 and so on and on.

I have used borrowed ones overseas with great results.

Would I buy a CZ / BRNO before a Winchester or Remington or Sako or Tikka -- yes.

Just my opinion.

farshot
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: farshot]
      #126474 - 10/02/09 05:08 AM

To be clear here -- i do feel for anyone who ends up with a rifle that exhibits the issues that have been expressed here. There should be recourse for that.

There was one comment that i found interesting in that all of my new CZ or BRNOs came with a test target -- I wonder if that practice has stopped in the new Safari line??

That would sure show if the rifle would at least chamber!

I too wondered about how the 505 or 500 would work/feed given their large diameter and relatively stout cartridge design.

Anyone hear about issues with the Safari line with the 450 Rigby with its more bottleneck design? Just a thought.

bigboar
.224 member

#126497 - 10/02/09 09:17 AM

This is the latest on the pair of CZ 550 rifles.

I found the test target for the 458Lott. The was a nice inch and half or so 3 shot group at 50 meters.
My error on that. I looked again, real hard, and no target for the 505gibbs.

I called the main number and spoke to sales and they said every 550 should ship with a target. Maybe that one got lost.

I transferred to the service dept to ask about the 505. First, I asked about test targets. He stated the same. Then I asked about my 505 and he says "EXCEPT the 505. Those are test fired only." NO test targets for the 505Gibbs. I did not ask why. Next we discussed my problem where the ammo will not chamber. I mention it was A square and sample rounds were shipped. They did not look at my gun yet. I will check back later. To avoid any confusion, I did not mention the 458 Lott on this call.

I also called Cabelas today and talked a bit about the 458 Lott feeding. In addition to not feeding sometimes the round will pop right out of the magazine. The sales guy had a theory it could be I have a 416 magazine. That would be setup for fatter 416 cases. Interesting? I had to go out to work. I plan to call CZ service and talk about the Lott feeding and ask how to identify magazines - or if that idea makes sense. Cabelas recommended I let them ship the gun back. They said they had very good customer satisfaction with the 550 rifles and was surprised I got 2 for 2 problems. Well, I am surprised too.

farshot
.300 member

#126618 - 11/02/09 04:59 AM

Please keep us informed. I wonder about the magazine differnces - is that real or fable?
The round poping out of the mag lends me to believe that there is a lip issue and / or possibly a magazine diameter issue.

The lip issue would certainly tie in with the feeding problems. Good luck - I know you dont think so , but I feel its worth it. You got one or two with issues -- I dont wnat to start up the whole thing again.

I am interested to see if the A-Square ammo is somehow different than their test ammo.

I dont know if your 458 test target would have the same info, but my BRNO doubles show the test ammo used by brand and grain of bullet. It may help you out. Did you try other types of ammo or bullets in your Lott? I agree that if they pop out that is not a good thing and the type of bullet would make no difference. For comparison sake - i remember reading on-line that someone with a CZ Lott or maybe 458????? had feeding issues in the field and took a piece of cartridge box and slipped a slice at the rear (I think) of the magazine and that little difference made it feed perfectly.

Not what you wanted to play with I know -- but just thought you may find it interesting to see.

Good Luck

If I lived in the States - i would likely offer to buy them and get them to work come hell or high water.

bigboar
.224 member

#126624 - 11/02/09 06:47 AM

I shot the Lott. What fun. I could not wait and another storm rolling in. Stepped outside and found a dry patch of gravel too stand on and lobbed one down onto the stone wall about 50yrds out. Not the safest shot, but that's what I done. Recoil is definately bearable. The CZ 458 may be a tad on the heavy side. Which suits me fine. Well, I popped my 458 cherry. I am almost disappointed in a perverse way, I expected more punishment. Blew a nice chunk of granite off. I wonder how to attach a photo.

farshot got me thinking and I made up a spacer and slid it down the front of the magazine. After a little trimming and shaping, I was able to cycle 15 rounds. None jumped out either? I dont know... Might be I was confused with what gun did what? This maybe ok, with a spacer in the magazine. Is there an accepted method to attach something like that? I would just as soon do it myself. I have flat brass stock, or maybe some epoxy or gorilla glue with black plastic would work?

OH yea, the ammo question. This is Hornady 458 Lott loaded with a flat nose style solid. That flat is what catches the edge of the feed ramp.

I noticed if I cycle the bolt back hard it would stick or bind up. I spent a few minutes working the bolt and its getting a lot smoother. This gun will hold 5 rounds in the magazine and still push feed one in the chamber, for 6 shots. For $999.99 I think this one is a keeper.

farshot
.300 member

#126630 - 11/02/09 07:07 AM

good to hear!
I dont what it is about mag length and the Lott -- maybe if you load rounds with the bullet out that little bit more or different styles of bullets you would be fine.

as to the roughness - I would take a little polish paste and put it along the bolt shaft - keep it out of the lug area and the bbl etc, and work it back and forth while watching tv - I used to do that as a young man with grease and polishing paste on all my rifles - to just take the edge off of some of the high spots

The one other thing that I saw on my .416 550 was that the edges of the feed lip are scraper knife sharp and I just touched them up a very slight bit with very very fine emery cloth to lessen the scoring of brass as they come through the mag well. It happens with age as well - but I just speed it up a bit

be very careful with any kind of polish or metal removal tho --- you cant put it back

keep working with that rifle and soon you will know if it will do anything wonky

also - maybe try it with .458 win mag rounds to see if it acts different as you may need to use them in a pinch in Africa or somewhere

check to see if any cracking is starting in the stock. Again, I relieve 1/8 inch right behind the tang just to stop the slam of that tang that acts as a wedge.

now the 505 ......... please keep me advised as to how this one comes out as I am looking at one ...

good luck

9.3x57
.450 member

#126645 - 11/02/09 11:54 AM

Quote:

farshot got me thinking and I made up a spacer and slid it down the front of the magazine.

Bigboar;

Pull the barrelled action out of the stock, remove the magazine box and see if the caliber is stamped on the box.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got the wrong box in there, but MOST {apparently not all for some reason} magazine boxes have the caliber stamped on them.

If they have the wrong box in there, a simple replacement with the correct one should seal the deal.

--------------------

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

#126659 - 11/02/09 02:49 PM

Quote:

I noticed if I cycle the bolt back hard it would stick or bind up. I spent a few minutes working the bolt and its getting a lot smoother. This gun will hold 5 rounds in the magazine and still push feed one in the chamber, for 6 shots. For $999.99 I think this one is a keeper.

I'm glad it worked out for you. I've never found too much wrong with CZs myself.

JohnWilkes
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/09
Loc: SA
      #126679 - 11/02/09 07:26 PM

Got to agree with China Fleet sailor there. Bed 'em cross bolt 'em work them in and BINGO...sure you might get a lemon now and then but thats true of most things (cars, rifles...spouses (now they really are expensive mistakes!!). But for the money and with a wee tinker they are pretty good.Lets face it there are plenty of CZ big bores used in Africa everyday(and other places all over the world)
NO they aint an H&H, but for a workaday rifle which if it has a tumble or whatever its not the end of the world they have much to commend them.
Picking up my CZ550 lux, (bedded, bolted and a better pad fitted) 9.3x62 this week and looking forward to it.

--------------------
Horses for courses
Guns for game
Hounds for grounds

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: JohnWilkes]
      #126682 - 11/02/09 07:45 PM

From what I have read about AHR and their knowledge on working over the cz actions I just put a despoit down on their 585 ahr dare to be different seen to many 600 over kills

farshot
.300 member

#126705 - 12/02/09 01:33 AM

My belief is that the sharp lips of the mag well and a slight lip profile difference (brand new they are usually straight or with a slight step in them) causes the shell to move too far forward before moving upwards in alignment with the bore. You did say that the brass had score marks on them - that is the mag lips grabbing hold of the shell and not allowing it to go anywhere but straight forward (and a bit up)

As I mentioned previously, the shim should be a temporary fix only and you should get to the route cause of the issue. I feel that given time (or cautious polishing) that sharp edge wears down and the round is free to move more effectively in two directions.

If you look at any mauser action the lips are "waisted" to some degree or other dependingon the usage and the shell size.

BTW - the only special marking on my BRNOs or CZ that I have seen is on the follower in my BRNO 602 9.3 x 64 where the follower is stamped "9.3x64" The mag boxes appear to be the same. However there may be differences in the newest rifles.

There is some reason that most times I prefer good used rifles - the bugs have been worked through and all the rough spots have been smoothed by time.

9.3x57
.450 member

#126707 - 12/02/09 01:57 AM

Quote:

If you look at any mauser action the lips are "waisted" to some degree or other dependingon the usage and the shell size.

Correct. The relationship of rails to extractor to case length and head size must all be correct to provide 100% reliable control round feed.

BTW - the only special marking on my BRNOs or CZ that I have seen is on the follower in my BRNO 602 9.3 x 64 where the follower is stamped "9.3x64" The mag boxes appear to be the same. However there may be differences in the newest rifles.

As I mentioned before, the mag boxes on some calibers are stamped on the front left side. If he hasn't already, bigboar should pull the mag box out and check it. It might be stamped with the caliber, might not be. If it is not, measurements can be made of it and a call placed to CZ. They should be able to confirm it is correct or not. I have generally found them helpful on the phone, and if you find you have the wrong mag box I bet they'll send you the right one free of charge.

Back to Bramble's point for a moment. Many of the issues being described here {sharp edges, etc} are what leads some to think of these guns as "kit guns". In the past such issues were called "poor quality" and got a gun a really bad reputation. Obviously things have changed due to costs, the zeal to get a big one regardless of potential QC problems, the essentially "minor" {i.e. repairable} nature of the problems, availability of cheap bedding compunds, changing attitudes about quality, etc.

The statements about the guns being great after rebedding and rebolting ditto. The more I think about Bramble's semi-finished gun idea, the more I like it. To have the semi-finished features identified and known before buying would be handy. Some of us are willing to more-or-less rebuild a gun from the belly up, some not. It is the lottery aspect of the purchase that causes concern.

--------------------

farshot
.300 member

#126711 - 12/02/09 02:25 AM

Not to hijack the thread - but 9.3 makes certain points that I dont disagree on , however, ALL off the shelf rifles may not be what you want in total.... length of pull, trigger creep / break, sights, scope mounts, stock shape or material and so on.

Every off the shelf rifle needs to be worked to YOUR satisfaction. If it doesn't work as a reliable rifle - I agree that is a bad thing.

I marvel at how Remington devotees buy anything in the green box and then basically throw everything away but the action and bolt - and even then they "true it" all up..... why bother?....

So I assume that every rifle that is sold off the shelf is a starting platform for someone to get to where they want it. Reliability is something else however, and the further afield you go with big bores or the newest fashion rounds the more you may expect to be disappointed.

Like it or not the details cost big dollars to have done for off the shelf rifles and companies are selling to the market they perceive to be there.

I do not believe it to be entirely a cost issue though - My Merkel had doubling issues right out of the box -- everyone told it was my operation at fault (it was a mechanical issue) -- so a $8000 rifle is a kit gun as well? No - it is what it is -- a machine that may take some adjustment to get where you wnat it. On that rifle I changed the sights, added LOP, put a hinged front trigger in ....... what I wanted.

Some would say that Merkel is junk - go buy a so and so ---- its only $35000 - but I can bet there would be the same requirements to get that rifle to where YOU want it.

What you appear to suggest are actions with bbls that you build semi-custom rifles on -- I think that is already out there for the enthusiest (sp). Maybe that is the issue here - that people are looking to buy rifles that are "out of their range" of expertise etc -- not to be snob or mean but when someone who spends his time shooting a 7-08 buys a .600 OKH just because -- there is a definite learning curve!

I still prefer to know that any rifle I buy will require my tune ups to get it where I expect it to be. If it doesnt chamber factory ammo - well I would be pissed as much as the next guy.

I still hope Bigbore gets his working well

xausa
.400 member

#126715 - 12/02/09 03:35 AM

"There is some reason that most times I prefer good used rifles - the bugs have been worked through and all the rough spots have been smoothed by time."

This is certainly my attitude, just as it is toward buying a new car. The benefits of a "new" car are far outweighed by the precipitous drop in value after the car has been driven once around the block. A nice clean car with 25,000 miles on it is the ideal buy for me. Similarly, a nice rifle which has spent its life in someone's gun cabinet somewhere is greatly preferable to one "NIB". I can use the money I save in buying "used" to configure the rifle to my own special wants and needs. The alternative would be starting with an action and working from the ground up, but I prefer to experiment with a rifle for a while to see if it merits further improvement in the form of a custom stock or other embellishment, and buying a complete rifle allows me to do this.

I am speaking here primarily of bolt actioned rifles, like one of my more recent acquisitions, a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1950 carbine in .270 Winchester already fitted with a Griffin & Howe side mount. A short barrelled .270 bears no allure for me, if for no other reason than the noise factor, so my first modification consisted of having the barrel rebored and rechambered to 9.3X62, which required some modification of the magazine as well.

A suitable scope mount is always an issue with a MS, and having a G&H mount was a plus for me, since it allows the absolute minimum in scope height, and makes stock modification unnneceesary.
All I needed to do was to remove the existing Lyman Challanger 26mm scope, which lacks a centered reticle, and substitute a 4X Lyman All American Perma-Center with my favorite post and crosshair reticle, and the little rifle was ready for the woods. So far I have used only 232 grain bullets and I suspect I will need to have the action glass bedded if I decide to use heavier bullets, since the stock does seem a little fragile for heavier recoil.

My old BRNO 602, which I did buy new years ago in Germany, had its barrel shortened and the front sight relocated before I ever received it from the retailer. My next modification involved a custom stock to replace the "American style" monstrosity with which it came. Then there was the addition of a Model 70 type 3 position safety to replace the "reversed" original safety, and now it is in the process of being rebuilt to .500 Jeffery. After many months of waiting, I am eagerly anticipating the outcome, which I am told is only a short time away.

I am sure I will never buy a new car again, and I doubt if I will ever buy a "new in the box" rifle either.

Naren
.224 member

Reged: 05/04/08
Loc: Somewhere
      #126747 - 12/02/09 10:29 AM

I just checked the prices on new CZ550 safari legend rifles: They cost 3400USD in 500 Jeffery cal. Thats crazy to spend that much money on a rifle of such miserable quatlity... when for 4500USD max. 5000USD you can buy a AHR550 that will be perfecty well made with no need for any custom gunsmith work.

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Naren]
      #126749 - 12/02/09 10:53 AM

4500 will get you the standard below 50 cals on ahr add 500 for the 50 cals 16% tax plus your extras plus shipping close to 6500 right there

thorshammer
.300 member

#126771 - 12/02/09 02:14 PM

Plus if you wait and look at guns america they can be had for a deal the cz in 505 and 500 even ahr they have a custom built jeffrey a 416 rigby for 3900 client failure to pay also a 600 overkill for 4900 same deal its all about if your willing to wait to see what is out there but as i was saying ive seen the 505s and 500 czs go for 1900 within the past 3 months deals can be had you just have to look

farshot
.300 member

#126843 - 13/02/09 07:30 AM

Just to argue with Naren some
So it is established that the Safari Classic are "miserable quality" for $3400 but if you go to AHR (who I have great respect for) you can buy one with a new bbl, stock, trigger, safety, muzzle brake, new recoil lug, bedded --- I may have missed something -- for about $5500-6500 - a very nice product based on a miserable action (sarcasm)

or, as was mentioned previously in this thread, AHR will take your "miserable quality" Safari and do a work over for a $100-200 or so (I am sure depending on the amount of work done of course) and have a great working rifle.....

so from miserable rifle to great rifle for $200 ... thats not too bad in my view.

And IF the Safari is fine right out of the box - as I suggest most would be -- I see it as a good deal for $3400 (or less depending on market pricing)for a .500 Jeff. or a .505 Gibbs

Ripp
.577 member

#126857 - 13/02/09 12:47 PM

Quote:

Not to hijack the thread - but 9.3 makes certain points that I dont disagree on , however, ALL off the shelf rifles may not be what you want in total.... length of pull, trigger creep / break, sights, scope mounts, stock shape or material and so on.

Every off the shelf rifle needs to be worked to YOUR satisfaction. If it doesn't work as a reliable rifle - I agree that is a bad thing.

I marvel at how Remington devotees buy anything in the green box and then basically throw everything away but the action and bolt - and even then they "true it" all up..... why bother?....
++++++++++++

I am one of those Remington devotees you described above and so had to respond to your argument...have done exactely what you describe --have stipped down several and built them in other calibers that where either not available or just wanted one more in my custom form..so you are correct to a point..BUT, also have probably a dozen or so in my safe where I have done nothing too and will shoot every bit as well as any cooper, sako, ruger, hs, and custom I have purchased, all for 1/3 or less of the price of the others...and with nothing done other than adjust the trigger...perfect example..have taken a custom shop Remington .416 on 4 hunts alone in Africa..not so much as a hickup...and have killed everything I have pointed it at...so...

Guess, my point is, Remington in NOT a high grade weapon, but the basics of it lend itself quite well to built that accurate weapon..as I have stated many times..look at what the custom shops are using for actions...don't think it is a mere coincidence that the majority are using Remington actions..

Some would say that Merkel is junk - go buy a so and so ---- its only $35000 - but I can bet there would be the same requirements to get that rifle to where YOU want it.
+++++++++++++++

Totally disagree with this --have had both the Merkels and a so and so...while the Merkel is a very find weapon for the money there is NO comparison to a fine older english gun...IMHO...and NO, I didn't have to do anything to it once it was purchased...

Agree you can tinker with any new gun and that is the great part of getting a new weapon...but what was described at the beginning of this thread that you could not even chamber the round the gun was built for...that is beyond the typical tinkering...

Ripp

--------------------

FrankS
.300 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: New Iberia Louisiana
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Ripp]
      #126901 - 13/02/09 08:55 PM

I've been reading all the posts regarding cz rifles. They are not the only ones with quality control issues. Bought a steyr pro hunter in 30-06. Loved the weird stock and by removing the spacers had a custom length of pull. Rangetime, 1st shot down range, ejected case large wedding band on case about 1/10" above extractor groove. 2nd shot right on top of 1st, same wedding band. 3rd shot same thing. Ok this was something I haven't seen before. Went back to dealer, hop in truck about 5 minutes out of town. % shots different brands, all wedding band. Got a sako 75 on 30-06 (what else) Ist round from mag bullet nose against breech, same for the rest of the 20 or so shots with this rifle. Since I handload lengthen the oal of the cartridge, hasn't missed a beat. Winchester, pitted barrels due to impurities being moved into the bore due to hammer forgeing. Sent one rifle back twice. Remington 700 varmint synthetic, bedding and accuracy problems, sent back to big green. No change, fixed it myself.
The thing is that I could go on about defects on factory firearms. And I think that most manufacturers
do mess up every so often. But with all the craziness going on in the gun world they are turning them out as fast as possible. Heck even my savage 110fp in 308 I had to fill the area under the receiver ring and bed the first 1" or so before she started to shoot reliable groups. I'll never be able to afford a really expensive rifle, but it would be nice that the less expensive ones that I do buy work and shoot as they are supposed to. Today its a given that some tinkering will take place by the owner to get it shoot or function as it should. Maybe we've been accustomed to this. Just my 2 cents worth.
Frank

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: FrankS]
      #126902 - 13/02/09 09:08 PM

I must admit you are the first i have ever read about haveing a mishap with savage rifles to my understanding they are suppose to be the best production rifle around but dont quote me on that just saying what I herd

farshot
.300 member

#126921 - 14/02/09 01:17 AM

Just to respond to RIPP - that is my point exactly -- I have dozens of CZ /BRNOs that I never touched - not even the trigger - and they shoot perfectly and wonderfully with no extra effort to them (at -used to be -- a fraction of the cost of "mainstream " rifles. So why is CZ maligned for people who want to do things to them? If a $35,000 English rifle is "better" then a $8000 German one -- then ok. And BTW - look in the custom shops in countries other then the USA and Remington just isnt as common in those shops for custom rifles. You find Mausers, BRNOs, Steyrs, and so on.

We all agree that bad things can occur once in a while to good rifles out of the box - any brand or any make. I hear Rigby is not very good these days .....

BTW -- BRNO/ CZ has been putting that third "lug" doevtailed into the forward part on the lower side of the bbl for 80 years or so. A screw then enters the "lug" throught the forestock. They put it on almost all their rifles. I for one love it. It removes the "free float" concept from the bbl but it gives one a way to adjust the front tension on the bbl and is like an 80 year old bbl resonation system. With mine - I set the tension back and forth with my load to fine tune the poi and they stay that way - well for a long long time.

anyhow- I get way off topic

Please Bigboar keep me advised as to the outcome (even if by PM). I am betting on the ammo being the issue!!

9.3x57
.450 member

#126924 - 14/02/09 01:38 AM

farshot;

Here is the dovetail I am referring to. It is not the dovetail you are referring to. The lug wobbled and wiggled and was easily removed {almost fell out} with the fingers. The CZ gunsmith thought it was a joke, too. I removed it when I bedded the action.

All CZ550's do not have this lug. Why a 9.3x62 has one I do not know. I don't even know if all 9.3x62 550's have them.

BTW: the trigger on my 550 was great. Easily adjusted and excellent overall. So was the trigger on my 527. I actually expected trouble with the trigger due to its sort-of complexity, but they turned out to defy my intuition. I like them and wish such a trigger system was commonly found on other maker's guns.

All new guns have warts. This thread is about CZ's, not Remingtons, thus my comments have pretty much stuck to CZ's.

I do not hate CZ's. I consider them a challenge awaiting the bold...

--------------------

450_366
.400 member

#126931 - 14/02/09 02:29 AM

Quote:

farshot;

Here is the dovetail I am referring to. It is not the dovetail you are referring to. The lug wobbled and wiggled and was easily removed {almost fell out} with the fingers. The CZ gunsmith thought it was a joke, too. I removed it when I bedded the action.

All CZ550's do not have this lug. Why a 9.3x62 has one I do not know. I don't even know if all 9.3x62 550's have them.

BTW: the trigger on my 550 was great. Easily adjusted and excellent overall. So was the trigger on my 527. I actually expected trouble with the trigger due to its sort-of complexity, but they turned out to defy my intuition. I like them and wish such a trigger system was commonly found on other maker's guns.

All new guns have warts. This thread is about CZ's, not Remingtons, thus my comments have pretty much stuck to CZ's.

I think they are fitted on the magnum seties 550.
If you think that one is odd look at the safaris one in the part list linked.

http://www.czub.cz/rozkresy/cz550MM_r_en.pdf

--------------------
Andreas

farshot
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: 450_366]
      #126935 - 14/02/09 02:58 AM

thanks for that picture - I see now what yu refer to. In that rifle was there the front underside dovetail as well?

9.3x57
.450 member

#126938 - 14/02/09 03:33 AM

farshot;

No just that one.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#126944 - 14/02/09 05:55 AM

Quote:

Just to respond to RIPP - that is my point exactly -- I have dozens of CZ /BRNOs that I never touched - not even the trigger - and they shoot perfectly and wonderfully with no extra effort to them (at -used to be -- a fraction of the cost of "mainstream " rifles. So why is CZ maligned for people who want to do things to them? If a $35,000 English rifle is "better" then a $8000 German one -- then ok. And BTW - look in the custom shops in countries other then the USA and Remington just isnt as common in those shops for custom rifles. You find Mausers, BRNOs, Steyrs, and so on.

We all agree that bad things can occur once in a while to good rifles out of the box - any brand or anyhow- I get way off topic

Please Bigboar keep me advised as to the outcome (even if by PM). I am betting on the ammo being the issue!!

Farshot
I am not really maligning CZ for that...have seen several customs on their actions that work quite well...heck, I own several CZ's as well...so feel I am also qualified on my experience in saying the cz's I do have are very crude in their finished product..on my little 204 you would have to actually hit the action a bit hard each time to get it to chamber the round...in my 17hmr..the extractor broke the 3rd time out..so have not had really good experiences---but they ARE VERY ACCURATE...as I stated before, after getting the action cleaned up on my .204--it shoots every bit as well as the Cooper I have which cost 2's the money...

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #126945 - 14/02/09 06:08 AM

Quote:

farshot;

Dovetails are easily tightened.

I have had BRNO's in Hornet, 7x57, .358 NM and .375H&H - all wonderful - no bedding needed, fed perfectly with ALL bullet weights. More recently I've had 2 CZ's in Hornet, both the Lux model with lightweight barrel and Euro stock. Loved them both - 6,500 rounds of 40gr. @ 3,340fps and 50gr. at 3,085fps - wonderful - after 6,500 rounds still shooting 3/8" groups - re-barreled to .17AH - still love the CZ and the single, set trigger. New CZ Lux Hornet, not as accurate as the first, handles same loads in stride - and manages group agg's in 1/2" to 5/8" range. Feeding? - I single load only as they're gopher guns and excell at that. 454yards longest gopher kill so far. Love 'em.

The 550's look just great - so what if you have to do some bedding or action rail work - been doing that on various makes of rifles for years - so far hasn't been needed on the older BRNO's. I like the forward lug on heavy recoiling rifles. Others feel differently about them. Perhaps CZ put them on the 9.3x62's in anticipation of people actually loading that round to it's full potential instead of using 9.3x57-type loads in them. 270gr. at over 2,600fps - 286gr. at over 2,500fps - 300gr. at over 2,400fps - the 9.3x62 does it all. BTW - those ballistics are slightly better than the loads that made the .375H&H famous.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

bigboar
.224 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: DarylS]
      #126967 - 14/02/09 08:52 AM

I spoke to a man in the CZ custom shop who is looking at my 505 today. He told me the problem, or at least my primary problem is the ammo. He suggest I purchase ammo from Superior or Safari International. He has called A Square and complained several times. A Square states the ammo is in spec. He says the A Square rounds are over size and in particular the shoulder is too far forward and the diameter at the base is over size. I mentioned a second unknown load custom formed from Bell 577 also fail to chamber. I asked if Norma would chamber. He does not have any Norma and all his test shooting is with in house reloads. He will hold the gun while I try and locate a box of Norma ammo and send him a round.

Meanwhile I measured an A square 505 with a dial caliper. It hard to determine length to shoulder. This is what I got:

Bullet .505 [spec 505]
Neck .532 [spec 538]
Diameter at neck .598 [spec 600]
Largest diameter near the base, just above the rim .637 [spec 640]
Base to end of shoulder approximately 2.52 [spec 2.498] OVER SPEC, maybe hard to measure this.
Base to start of neck approximately 2.45 [spec 2.458]

Maybe the shoulder is tight. The marks on the ammo I kept home show the chamber is tight at the .598 diameter(near shoulder)and near the base. After that it might have hit the shoulder. CZ now has the one round I forced all the way in.

Is anyone out there using A Square .505?
Can someone measure a Norma PH 600 grain load? Or better yet compare A Square to Norma?

I assume that Norma PH 600 grain is the gold standard, and that brand should/must work.

thorshammer
.300 member

#126974 - 14/02/09 10:04 AM

Why is Norma gold standard because of the price I never used it or know anyone who has so cant help you there but I would send the rifle to Superior and have them work up loads softs and solids to same point of aim may cost a little extra but if you intend to hunt africa dangerous game the extra cost is worth it

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #127005 - 14/02/09 06:26 PM

Big Boar, the chap at CZ is not the only person to have "issues" with A square ammo, at least
three people I have spoken to in the trade have stated flat out that they would not use
A Square ammo at all, no links here, just repeating what I have been told. best, Mike

9.3x57
.450 member

#127007 - 14/02/09 06:50 PM

Daryl, I got a chuckle from your post. No, I don't think CZ was tagging the lug on to deal with your handloads or anybody's handloads for that matter. More to the point of the lug, no .375 H&H Mag needs such a front lug if bedded anything like correctly in the first place.

Anybody can tighten a dovetail. But why? There is no reason on a gun that doesn't need the lug in the first place.

I think you'll find the problems with CZ's cited here aren't limited to bedding problems. THAT I agree they do not have a monopoly on. It is common to many makes. It is the overall erratic QC that causes the other more serious problems that are cause for concern. I have no experience with older Brno's.

I happen to like my 550 very much now. So much that I consider it a keeper and one I'll use alot. I did not like it when it was a 6.5x55 due to the problems cited. As a 9.3x62 and with my TLC added, much better indeed.

--------------------

doubleriflenut
.300 member

#127240 - 16/02/09 10:17 AM

LMAO!!!!!!!

bigboar
.224 member

#129328 - 12/03/09 05:38 AM

I got my CZ550 505 Gibbs back. My problem was the A-Square ammo. I purchased a box of $250 per 10 Norma and send two rounds of that out to Kansas City. Later after the ammo arrived, I talked with the gunsmith. I was told the Norma functioned perfectly. And, I got another ear full about A Square.

The smith at CZ told me they had a lot of problems with oversize A Square ammo. Head spacing and head diameter. He told me been several guns returned due to that ammo problem. He (CZ gunsmith) has complained to A square. CZ has purchased and returned out of spec ammo from A Square. He told me they returned a large lot of 505 A Square and the stuff all ended up at Cabelas! By coincidence, Cabelas had a sale/special on A square 505 when I purchase my ammo.

I have still not shot the 505, but I did cycle a few magazines of Norma loads. Fine. Smooth, no problems. Control feed and chambers as you would expect. Seemed smoother than my lott.

The Classics are assembled or built in Kansas City. For 3x the cost, it does appear too be a better finished gun and a better grade wood. Based on a sample of two. FWIW

Another couple observations relating to CZ quality. I saw two more CZ550 today. First, was a USED CZ in 505 Gibbs. It was built without any cross bolts! Second was a NEW 458 WinMag. The 458 had daul cross bolts. My CZ in 505 Gibbs has two bolts, glass bedding and recoil reducers. It is clear from talk on the web, that CZ has had more than usual problems, including stocks splitting. And just as clear from inspection of these two guns that CZ has made improvements. Buyer beware on the old used stuff.

Now, can I get any satisfaction (ie refund) on the defective ammo. I talked to the Cabelas store manager. He said no ammo return for any reason and take it up with A square. I think I am going to be stuck on that one.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #129331 - 12/03/09 06:51 AM

One of my favorite cartridges is the 338-06, and I find it insulting that A-square has tacked their name on it.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #129333 - 12/03/09 07:20 AM

I had a CZ 550 Safari in .458 lott and it was a bit rough in the action department. It probably would have been fine with some use of a buff up by a good smith. It was adequate in the accuracy department. I however sold it and got a Ruger M77 in the lott chambering. I havent regretted it a bit. It is smooth and fast. I have fired several hundred rounds through it and taken a daggaboy and a big bull hippo with it. As for the lott caliber, sure alot of folks load them down to velocities attainable in .458 winchester magnum case; but what the heck is wrong with the capability of the full power lott too. It would be a good bet for elephants!

--------------------
One day at a time...

farshot
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: bigmaxx]
      #129476 - 14/03/09 03:20 AM

Hmmm I guess ammo was the issue afer all and the "POS" CZ is not that bad - after all of the bad words and generalizations....

Big Bore -- I am glad it worked out for you (cept for the A-Square stuff)

9.3x57
.450 member

#129522 - 14/03/09 12:36 PM

Quote:

I think I am going to be stuck on that one.

bigboar;

Maybe try pulling bullets and resizing the cases. You might have to thin the shellholder a bit to get closer to the base. Worth a try at the expense you incurred.

I have sure had my struggles with CZ products, but several fellows that work for CZ are very helpful. Matt in particular has been more than willing to help with every problem I've encountered. In light of the fact that I find troubles with most new guns, service attitude eans alot to me. And CZ has a few very good guys working for them.

Here's mine, a favorite companion of mine now. Alot of work to get it here, but I like it alot.

I took this pic on my hike this morning on the gun stump:

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 32316

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com