Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
farshot
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/06
Loc: Alberta Canada
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Bramble]
      #126467 - 10/02/09 03:06 AM

I am interested in this thread

My last count I have owned dozens (used and new) of BRNO and CZ from rimfire to .458 Win, singles, bolts and doubles and I must say I did not have a lemon out of any of them. My .416 Rigby hogback was $1015 CDN (purchase about 3 years ago) and I bedded it, cross bolted it, worked up a quick load with spire points and solids and proceeded to hammer endless sub-moa groups with it. No feeding issues, no hang ups, no stock splits - nothing but fun for the cost of the rifle plus bedding and bolting (the same thing I do with other rifles be they SIGs, Mausers or whatever btw). Same with my .458. Are they rough to start ? maybe a bit but that is no issue after a while.

The safety - I don't ever use them ever so I dont care if one goes one way and the other goes somewhere else.

I cannot speak to the newest Safari Grade rifles as I have not used one.

I do not view them as "kit rifles" anymore then I view any other rifle.

They have been to Africa, up the side of mountains, bush and fields in Canada, ...rattled around in trucks, in temperatures of -40 to +40 and so on and on.

I have used borrowed ones overseas with great results.

Would I buy a CZ / BRNO before a Winchester or Remington or Sako or Tikka -- yes.

Just my opinion.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
farshot
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: farshot]
      #126474 - 10/02/09 05:08 AM

To be clear here -- i do feel for anyone who ends up with a rifle that exhibits the issues that have been expressed here. There should be recourse for that.

There was one comment that i found interesting in that all of my new CZ or BRNOs came with a test target -- I wonder if that practice has stopped in the new Safari line??

That would sure show if the rifle would at least chamber!

I too wondered about how the 505 or 500 would work/feed given their large diameter and relatively stout cartridge design.

Anyone hear about issues with the Safari line with the 450 Rigby with its more bottleneck design? Just a thought.

bigboar
.224 member

Reged: 05/02/09
Loc: NewEngland
      #126497 - 10/02/09 09:17 AM

This is the latest on the pair of CZ 550 rifles.

I found the test target for the 458Lott. The was a nice inch and half or so 3 shot group at 50 meters.
My error on that. I looked again, real hard, and no target for the 505gibbs.

I called the main number and spoke to sales and they said every 550 should ship with a target. Maybe that one got lost.

I transferred to the service dept to ask about the 505. First, I asked about test targets. He stated the same. Then I asked about my 505 and he says "EXCEPT the 505. Those are test fired only." NO test targets for the 505Gibbs. I did not ask why. Next we discussed my problem where the ammo will not chamber. I mention it was A square and sample rounds were shipped. They did not look at my gun yet. I will check back later. To avoid any confusion, I did not mention the 458 Lott on this call.

I also called Cabelas today and talked a bit about the 458 Lott feeding. In addition to not feeding sometimes the round will pop right out of the magazine. The sales guy had a theory it could be I have a 416 magazine. That would be setup for fatter 416 cases. Interesting? I had to go out to work. I plan to call CZ service and talk about the Lott feeding and ask how to identify magazines - or if that idea makes sense. Cabelas recommended I let them ship the gun back. They said they had very good customer satisfaction with the 550 rifles and was surprised I got 2 for 2 problems. Well, I am surprised too.

farshot
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: bigboar]
      #126618 - 11/02/09 04:59 AM

Please keep us informed. I wonder about the magazine differnces - is that real or fable?
The round poping out of the mag lends me to believe that there is a lip issue and / or possibly a magazine diameter issue.

The lip issue would certainly tie in with the feeding problems. Good luck - I know you dont think so , but I feel its worth it. You got one or two with issues -- I dont wnat to start up the whole thing again.

I am interested to see if the A-Square ammo is somehow different than their test ammo.

I dont know if your 458 test target would have the same info, but my BRNO doubles show the test ammo used by brand and grain of bullet. It may help you out. Did you try other types of ammo or bullets in your Lott? I agree that if they pop out that is not a good thing and the type of bullet would make no difference. For comparison sake - i remember reading on-line that someone with a CZ Lott or maybe 458????? had feeding issues in the field and took a piece of cartridge box and slipped a slice at the rear (I think) of the magazine and that little difference made it feed perfectly.

Not what you wanted to play with I know -- but just thought you may find it interesting to see.

Good Luck

If I lived in the States - i would likely offer to buy them and get them to work come hell or high water.

bigboar
.224 member

Reged: 05/02/09
Loc: NewEngland
      #126624 - 11/02/09 06:47 AM

I shot the Lott. What fun. I could not wait and another storm rolling in. Stepped outside and found a dry patch of gravel too stand on and lobbed one down onto the stone wall about 50yrds out. Not the safest shot, but that's what I done. Recoil is definately bearable. The CZ 458 may be a tad on the heavy side. Which suits me fine. Well, I popped my 458 cherry. I am almost disappointed in a perverse way, I expected more punishment. Blew a nice chunk of granite off. I wonder how to attach a photo.

farshot got me thinking and I made up a spacer and slid it down the front of the magazine. After a little trimming and shaping, I was able to cycle 15 rounds. None jumped out either? I dont know... Might be I was confused with what gun did what? This maybe ok, with a spacer in the magazine. Is there an accepted method to attach something like that? I would just as soon do it myself. I have flat brass stock, or maybe some epoxy or gorilla glue with black plastic would work?

OH yea, the ammo question. This is Hornady 458 Lott loaded with a flat nose style solid. That flat is what catches the edge of the feed ramp.

I noticed if I cycle the bolt back hard it would stick or bind up. I spent a few minutes working the bolt and its getting a lot smoother. This gun will hold 5 rounds in the magazine and still push feed one in the chamber, for 6 shots. For $999.99 I think this one is a keeper.

farshot
.300 member

#126630 - 11/02/09 07:07 AM

good to hear!
I dont what it is about mag length and the Lott -- maybe if you load rounds with the bullet out that little bit more or different styles of bullets you would be fine.

as to the roughness - I would take a little polish paste and put it along the bolt shaft - keep it out of the lug area and the bbl etc, and work it back and forth while watching tv - I used to do that as a young man with grease and polishing paste on all my rifles - to just take the edge off of some of the high spots

The one other thing that I saw on my .416 550 was that the edges of the feed lip are scraper knife sharp and I just touched them up a very slight bit with very very fine emery cloth to lessen the scoring of brass as they come through the mag well. It happens with age as well - but I just speed it up a bit

be very careful with any kind of polish or metal removal tho --- you cant put it back

keep working with that rifle and soon you will know if it will do anything wonky

also - maybe try it with .458 win mag rounds to see if it acts different as you may need to use them in a pinch in Africa or somewhere

check to see if any cracking is starting in the stock. Again, I relieve 1/8 inch right behind the tang just to stop the slam of that tang that acts as a wedge.

now the 505 ......... please keep me advised as to how this one comes out as I am looking at one ...

good luck

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #126645 - 11/02/09 11:54 AM

Quote:

farshot got me thinking and I made up a spacer and slid it down the front of the magazine.

Bigboar;

Pull the barrelled action out of the stock, remove the magazine box and see if the caliber is stamped on the box.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got the wrong box in there, but MOST {apparently not all for some reason} magazine boxes have the caliber stamped on them.

If they have the wrong box in there, a simple replacement with the correct one should seal the deal.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
      #126659 - 11/02/09 02:49 PM

Quote:

I noticed if I cycle the bolt back hard it would stick or bind up. I spent a few minutes working the bolt and its getting a lot smoother. This gun will hold 5 rounds in the magazine and still push feed one in the chamber, for 6 shots. For $999.99 I think this one is a keeper.

I'm glad it worked out for you. I've never found too much wrong with CZs myself.

JohnWilkes
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/09
Loc: SA
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #126679 - 11/02/09 07:26 PM

Got to agree with China Fleet sailor there. Bed 'em cross bolt 'em work them in and BINGO...sure you might get a lemon now and then but thats true of most things (cars, rifles...spouses (now they really are expensive mistakes!!). But for the money and with a wee tinker they are pretty good.Lets face it there are plenty of CZ big bores used in Africa everyday(and other places all over the world)
NO they aint an H&H, but for a workaday rifle which if it has a tumble or whatever its not the end of the world they have much to commend them.
Picking up my CZ550 lux, (bedded, bolted and a better pad fitted) 9.3x62 this week and looking forward to it.

--------------------
Horses for courses
Guns for game
Hounds for grounds

thorshammer
.300 member

Reged: 27/12/08
Loc: USA
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: JohnWilkes]
      #126682 - 11/02/09 07:45 PM

From what I have read about AHR and their knowledge on working over the cz actions I just put a despoit down on their 585 ahr dare to be different seen to many 600 over kills

farshot
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: thorshammer]
      #126705 - 12/02/09 01:33 AM

My belief is that the sharp lips of the mag well and a slight lip profile difference (brand new they are usually straight or with a slight step in them) causes the shell to move too far forward before moving upwards in alignment with the bore. You did say that the brass had score marks on them - that is the mag lips grabbing hold of the shell and not allowing it to go anywhere but straight forward (and a bit up)

As I mentioned previously, the shim should be a temporary fix only and you should get to the route cause of the issue. I feel that given time (or cautious polishing) that sharp edge wears down and the round is free to move more effectively in two directions.

If you look at any mauser action the lips are "waisted" to some degree or other dependingon the usage and the shell size.

BTW - the only special marking on my BRNOs or CZ that I have seen is on the follower in my BRNO 602 9.3 x 64 where the follower is stamped "9.3x64" The mag boxes appear to be the same. However there may be differences in the newest rifles.

There is some reason that most times I prefer good used rifles - the bugs have been worked through and all the rough spots have been smoothed by time.

9.3x57
.450 member

#126707 - 12/02/09 01:57 AM

Quote:

If you look at any mauser action the lips are "waisted" to some degree or other dependingon the usage and the shell size.

Correct. The relationship of rails to extractor to case length and head size must all be correct to provide 100% reliable control round feed.

BTW - the only special marking on my BRNOs or CZ that I have seen is on the follower in my BRNO 602 9.3 x 64 where the follower is stamped "9.3x64" The mag boxes appear to be the same. However there may be differences in the newest rifles.

As I mentioned before, the mag boxes on some calibers are stamped on the front left side. If he hasn't already, bigboar should pull the mag box out and check it. It might be stamped with the caliber, might not be. If it is not, measurements can be made of it and a call placed to CZ. They should be able to confirm it is correct or not. I have generally found them helpful on the phone, and if you find you have the wrong mag box I bet they'll send you the right one free of charge.

Back to Bramble's point for a moment. Many of the issues being described here {sharp edges, etc} are what leads some to think of these guns as "kit guns". In the past such issues were called "poor quality" and got a gun a really bad reputation. Obviously things have changed due to costs, the zeal to get a big one regardless of potential QC problems, the essentially "minor" {i.e. repairable} nature of the problems, availability of cheap bedding compunds, changing attitudes about quality, etc.

The statements about the guns being great after rebedding and rebolting ditto. The more I think about Bramble's semi-finished gun idea, the more I like it. To have the semi-finished features identified and known before buying would be handy. Some of us are willing to more-or-less rebuild a gun from the belly up, some not. It is the lottery aspect of the purchase that causes concern.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

farshot
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: 9.3x57]
      #126711 - 12/02/09 02:25 AM

Not to hijack the thread - but 9.3 makes certain points that I dont disagree on , however, ALL off the shelf rifles may not be what you want in total.... length of pull, trigger creep / break, sights, scope mounts, stock shape or material and so on.

Every off the shelf rifle needs to be worked to YOUR satisfaction. If it doesn't work as a reliable rifle - I agree that is a bad thing.

I marvel at how Remington devotees buy anything in the green box and then basically throw everything away but the action and bolt - and even then they "true it" all up..... why bother?....

So I assume that every rifle that is sold off the shelf is a starting platform for someone to get to where they want it. Reliability is something else however, and the further afield you go with big bores or the newest fashion rounds the more you may expect to be disappointed.

Like it or not the details cost big dollars to have done for off the shelf rifles and companies are selling to the market they perceive to be there.

I do not believe it to be entirely a cost issue though - My Merkel had doubling issues right out of the box -- everyone told it was my operation at fault (it was a mechanical issue) -- so a $8000 rifle is a kit gun as well? No - it is what it is -- a machine that may take some adjustment to get where you wnat it. On that rifle I changed the sights, added LOP, put a hinged front trigger in ....... what I wanted.

Some would say that Merkel is junk - go buy a so and so ---- its only $35000 - but I can bet there would be the same requirements to get that rifle to where YOU want it.

What you appear to suggest are actions with bbls that you build semi-custom rifles on -- I think that is already out there for the enthusiest (sp). Maybe that is the issue here - that people are looking to buy rifles that are "out of their range" of expertise etc -- not to be snob or mean but when someone who spends his time shooting a 7-08 buys a .600 OKH just because -- there is a definite learning curve!

I still prefer to know that any rifle I buy will require my tune ups to get it where I expect it to be. If it doesnt chamber factory ammo - well I would be pissed as much as the next guy.

I still hope Bigbore gets his working well

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #126715 - 12/02/09 03:35 AM

"There is some reason that most times I prefer good used rifles - the bugs have been worked through and all the rough spots have been smoothed by time."

This is certainly my attitude, just as it is toward buying a new car. The benefits of a "new" car are far outweighed by the precipitous drop in value after the car has been driven once around the block. A nice clean car with 25,000 miles on it is the ideal buy for me. Similarly, a nice rifle which has spent its life in someone's gun cabinet somewhere is greatly preferable to one "NIB". I can use the money I save in buying "used" to configure the rifle to my own special wants and needs. The alternative would be starting with an action and working from the ground up, but I prefer to experiment with a rifle for a while to see if it merits further improvement in the form of a custom stock or other embellishment, and buying a complete rifle allows me to do this.

I am speaking here primarily of bolt actioned rifles, like one of my more recent acquisitions, a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1950 carbine in .270 Winchester already fitted with a Griffin & Howe side mount. A short barrelled .270 bears no allure for me, if for no other reason than the noise factor, so my first modification consisted of having the barrel rebored and rechambered to 9.3X62, which required some modification of the magazine as well.

A suitable scope mount is always an issue with a MS, and having a G&H mount was a plus for me, since it allows the absolute minimum in scope height, and makes stock modification unnneceesary.
All I needed to do was to remove the existing Lyman Challanger 26mm scope, which lacks a centered reticle, and substitute a 4X Lyman All American Perma-Center with my favorite post and crosshair reticle, and the little rifle was ready for the woods. So far I have used only 232 grain bullets and I suspect I will need to have the action glass bedded if I decide to use heavier bullets, since the stock does seem a little fragile for heavier recoil.

My old BRNO 602, which I did buy new years ago in Germany, had its barrel shortened and the front sight relocated before I ever received it from the retailer. My next modification involved a custom stock to replace the "American style" monstrosity with which it came. Then there was the addition of a Model 70 type 3 position safety to replace the "reversed" original safety, and now it is in the process of being rebuilt to .500 Jeffery. After many months of waiting, I am eagerly anticipating the outcome, which I am told is only a short time away.

I am sure I will never buy a new car again, and I doubt if I will ever buy a "new in the box" rifle either.

Naren
.224 member

Reged: 05/04/08
Loc: Somewhere
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: xausa]
      #126747 - 12/02/09 10:29 AM

I just checked the prices on new CZ550 safari legend rifles: They cost 3400USD in 500 Jeffery cal. Thats crazy to spend that much money on a rifle of such miserable quatlity... when for 4500USD max. 5000USD you can buy a AHR550 that will be perfecty well made with no need for any custom gunsmith work.

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Naren]
      #126749 - 12/02/09 10:53 AM

4500 will get you the standard below 50 cals on ahr add 500 for the 50 cals 16% tax plus your extras plus shipping close to 6500 right there

thorshammer
.300 member

#126771 - 12/02/09 02:14 PM

Plus if you wait and look at guns america they can be had for a deal the cz in 505 and 500 even ahr they have a custom built jeffrey a 416 rigby for 3900 client failure to pay also a 600 overkill for 4900 same deal its all about if your willing to wait to see what is out there but as i was saying ive seen the 505s and 500 czs go for 1900 within the past 3 months deals can be had you just have to look

farshot
.300 member

#126843 - 13/02/09 07:30 AM

Just to argue with Naren some
So it is established that the Safari Classic are "miserable quality" for $3400 but if you go to AHR (who I have great respect for) you can buy one with a new bbl, stock, trigger, safety, muzzle brake, new recoil lug, bedded --- I may have missed something -- for about $5500-6500 - a very nice product based on a miserable action (sarcasm)

or, as was mentioned previously in this thread, AHR will take your "miserable quality" Safari and do a work over for a $100-200 or so (I am sure depending on the amount of work done of course) and have a great working rifle.....

so from miserable rifle to great rifle for $200 ... thats not too bad in my view.

And IF the Safari is fine right out of the box - as I suggest most would be -- I see it as a good deal for $3400 (or less depending on market pricing)for a .500 Jeff. or a .505 Gibbs

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #126857 - 13/02/09 12:47 PM

Quote:

Not to hijack the thread - but 9.3 makes certain points that I dont disagree on , however, ALL off the shelf rifles may not be what you want in total.... length of pull, trigger creep / break, sights, scope mounts, stock shape or material and so on.

Every off the shelf rifle needs to be worked to YOUR satisfaction. If it doesn't work as a reliable rifle - I agree that is a bad thing.

I marvel at how Remington devotees buy anything in the green box and then basically throw everything away but the action and bolt - and even then they "true it" all up..... why bother?....
++++++++++++

I am one of those Remington devotees you described above and so had to respond to your argument...have done exactely what you describe --have stipped down several and built them in other calibers that where either not available or just wanted one more in my custom form..so you are correct to a point..BUT, also have probably a dozen or so in my safe where I have done nothing too and will shoot every bit as well as any cooper, sako, ruger, hs, and custom I have purchased, all for 1/3 or less of the price of the others...and with nothing done other than adjust the trigger...perfect example..have taken a custom shop Remington .416 on 4 hunts alone in Africa..not so much as a hickup...and have killed everything I have pointed it at...so...

Guess, my point is, Remington in NOT a high grade weapon, but the basics of it lend itself quite well to built that accurate weapon..as I have stated many times..look at what the custom shops are using for actions...don't think it is a mere coincidence that the majority are using Remington actions..

Some would say that Merkel is junk - go buy a so and so ---- its only $35000 - but I can bet there would be the same requirements to get that rifle to where YOU want it.
+++++++++++++++

Totally disagree with this --have had both the Merkels and a so and so...while the Merkel is a very find weapon for the money there is NO comparison to a fine older english gun...IMHO...and NO, I didn't have to do anything to it once it was purchased...

Agree you can tinker with any new gun and that is the great part of getting a new weapon...but what was described at the beginning of this thread that you could not even chamber the round the gun was built for...that is beyond the typical tinkering...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

FrankS
.300 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: New Iberia Louisiana
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Ripp]
      #126901 - 13/02/09 08:55 PM

I've been reading all the posts regarding cz rifles. They are not the only ones with quality control issues. Bought a steyr pro hunter in 30-06. Loved the weird stock and by removing the spacers had a custom length of pull. Rangetime, 1st shot down range, ejected case large wedding band on case about 1/10" above extractor groove. 2nd shot right on top of 1st, same wedding band. 3rd shot same thing. Ok this was something I haven't seen before. Went back to dealer, hop in truck about 5 minutes out of town. % shots different brands, all wedding band. Got a sako 75 on 30-06 (what else) Ist round from mag bullet nose against breech, same for the rest of the 20 or so shots with this rifle. Since I handload lengthen the oal of the cartridge, hasn't missed a beat. Winchester, pitted barrels due to impurities being moved into the bore due to hammer forgeing. Sent one rifle back twice. Remington 700 varmint synthetic, bedding and accuracy problems, sent back to big green. No change, fixed it myself.
The thing is that I could go on about defects on factory firearms. And I think that most manufacturers
do mess up every so often. But with all the craziness going on in the gun world they are turning them out as fast as possible. Heck even my savage 110fp in 308 I had to fill the area under the receiver ring and bed the first 1" or so before she started to shoot reliable groups. I'll never be able to afford a really expensive rifle, but it would be nice that the less expensive ones that I do buy work and shoot as they are supposed to. Today its a given that some tinkering will take place by the owner to get it shoot or function as it should. Maybe we've been accustomed to this. Just my 2 cents worth.
Frank

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: FrankS]
      #126902 - 13/02/09 09:08 PM

I must admit you are the first i have ever read about haveing a mishap with savage rifles to my understanding they are suppose to be the best production rifle around but dont quote me on that just saying what I herd

farshot
.300 member

#126921 - 14/02/09 01:17 AM

Just to respond to RIPP - that is my point exactly -- I have dozens of CZ /BRNOs that I never touched - not even the trigger - and they shoot perfectly and wonderfully with no extra effort to them (at -used to be -- a fraction of the cost of "mainstream " rifles. So why is CZ maligned for people who want to do things to them? If a $35,000 English rifle is "better" then a $8000 German one -- then ok. And BTW - look in the custom shops in countries other then the USA and Remington just isnt as common in those shops for custom rifles. You find Mausers, BRNOs, Steyrs, and so on.

We all agree that bad things can occur once in a while to good rifles out of the box - any brand or any make. I hear Rigby is not very good these days .....

BTW -- BRNO/ CZ has been putting that third "lug" doevtailed into the forward part on the lower side of the bbl for 80 years or so. A screw then enters the "lug" throught the forestock. They put it on almost all their rifles. I for one love it. It removes the "free float" concept from the bbl but it gives one a way to adjust the front tension on the bbl and is like an 80 year old bbl resonation system. With mine - I set the tension back and forth with my load to fine tune the poi and they stay that way - well for a long long time.

anyhow- I get way off topic

Please Bigboar keep me advised as to the outcome (even if by PM). I am betting on the ammo being the issue!!

9.3x57
.450 member

#126924 - 14/02/09 01:38 AM

farshot;

Here is the dovetail I am referring to. It is not the dovetail you are referring to. The lug wobbled and wiggled and was easily removed {almost fell out} with the fingers. The CZ gunsmith thought it was a joke, too. I removed it when I bedded the action.

All CZ550's do not have this lug. Why a 9.3x62 has one I do not know. I don't even know if all 9.3x62 550's have them.

BTW: the trigger on my 550 was great. Easily adjusted and excellent overall. So was the trigger on my 527. I actually expected trouble with the trigger due to its sort-of complexity, but they turned out to defy my intuition. I like them and wish such a trigger system was commonly found on other maker's guns.

All new guns have warts. This thread is about CZ's, not Remingtons, thus my comments have pretty much stuck to CZ's.

I do not hate CZ's. I consider them a challenge awaiting the bold...

--------------------

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: 9.3x57]
      #126931 - 14/02/09 02:29 AM

Quote:

farshot;

Here is the dovetail I am referring to. It is not the dovetail you are referring to. The lug wobbled and wiggled and was easily removed {almost fell out} with the fingers. The CZ gunsmith thought it was a joke, too. I removed it when I bedded the action.

All CZ550's do not have this lug. Why a 9.3x62 has one I do not know. I don't even know if all 9.3x62 550's have them.

BTW: the trigger on my 550 was great. Easily adjusted and excellent overall. So was the trigger on my 527. I actually expected trouble with the trigger due to its sort-of complexity, but they turned out to defy my intuition. I like them and wish such a trigger system was commonly found on other maker's guns.

All new guns have warts. This thread is about CZ's, not Remingtons, thus my comments have pretty much stuck to CZ's.

I do not hate CZ's. I consider them a challenge awaiting the bold...

I think they are fitted on the magnum seties 550.
If you think that one is odd look at the safaris one in the part list linked.

http://www.czub.cz/rozkresy/cz550MM_r_en.pdf

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

farshot
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: 450_366]
      #126935 - 14/02/09 02:58 AM

thanks for that picture - I see now what yu refer to. In that rifle was there the front underside dovetail as well?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 32315

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com