Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
bigboar
.224 member

Reged: 05/02/09
Loc: NewEngland
CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues
      #125852 - 05/02/09 06:00 AM

Hellow, this is my first post. I joined this forum because of the expertise of the members and focus on big game rifles. I have a nit to pick with CZ and like to hear opinions. Hopefully, I can contribute on a more positive note in the future. I have been shooting over 40 yrs and although my rifle hunting is limited to 7mm-08, I have a always enjoyed the big boomers. That goes back to a 6 bore Dixie Gun Works muzzle loader purchased in the late 60's. I don't have that 6 bore now, But; it was a fun gun.

Nine months back, while working long hours - 6 days weeks, I got wind of the 458 Lott introduction. Went online and found the 505gibbs offering by CZ! Wow! I special ordered a CZ 550 Safari in 505 Gibbs. That set me back $3k, which is more than I ever dropped on a rifle. It looked great and later when I went to Cabelas to pickup some ammo, I found a new CZ American on the shelf in 458 Lott for $1,000. Based on the quality look I also purchased the 458. When I say quality, I pretty much set my standard by guns like Ruger. Nothing fancy just well built and decent finish. Well, I also like to CZ features, such as high capacity magazine that holds five 458 and three 505's.

I set those aside (working 6 days a week) which was a mistake. Not until I was out of work for a while, I decided to shoot these guns. Starting with the 505 first. I discover the rounds will not chamber. Control feed ok but the chamber is rough and/or under size. I beat the bolt down and forced one round in. Then drove it out with a wood dowel down the barrel. The case was deeply scratched and squeezed down. It appears the chamber was only roughly reamed out and the final finish reamer never used. Or something major F-ed up. I tried two different ammos. No doubt in my mind this gun was never test fired or even cycled for feeding at the factory. Thats gone back to Kansas City. I am waiting.

Ok, strike one. Now, I proceed to clean and checkout the CZ American in 458 Lott. One round in the magazine, push bolt forward and the bullet hits the lower front of the feed ramp and stops! Strike Two! It wont feed. What I figure out is if I push the rounds to the rear of the magazine they ride up the ramp and feed ok. But if the ammo is forward in the magazine (such as it would be after recoil) the rounds will not feed. I dont even know if this is a defect or just typical CZ performance. If thats not enought. The 505 would control feed, but for some reason the 458 ends up push feeding some of the time. At a 1000 bucks, I might try and modify the magazine. I tell you I am real turned off by the whole CZ quality situation right now.

I dont know,...??? I may get the 505 fixed and put 458 back in the box. Dump both of these POS CZ guns and get a Kimber in 458. But, then for a 505 Gibbs it is CZ or nobody.

I read on this forum some suggest a CZ might be ok for safari if gone threw by a gunsmith. I wonder is that a polite way to alert members this maker is prone to ship crap. How do I know the guns are even safe, any trigger, firing pin or safety issues? Can you imagine the potential injury if a round discharge when the bolt closed?

Edited by bigboar (05/02/09 06:02 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
thorshammer
.300 member

Reged: 27/12/08
Loc: USA
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: bigboar]
      #125856 - 05/02/09 07:08 AM

Post deleted by thorshammer

bigboar
.224 member

Reged: 05/02/09
Loc: NewEngland
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: thorshammer]
      #125859 - 05/02/09 07:21 AM

Yea, maybe I should dump both CZ. I own a Ruger in 416 Rigby and Win M70 in 375H&H. Both cost under or near $2k. I fired many boxes in the Winchester and enough in the Ruger. Never any hint of difficulty with either one. I would have though $3k was enough to expect reasonable reliability, HECK at least out of the box functionality. My mistake then.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: bigboar]
      #125860 - 05/02/09 07:52 AM

If you need the extra horsepower try the M77 in .458 lott chambering. I have one that has fed and performed flawlessly since it's purchase. It has fired over 400 rounds and taken dangerous game in Zimbabwe. Its accurate, dependable, and quite rugged. No pampering needed here. I would not hesitate to leave tomorrow with it.

--------------------
One day at a time...

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: bigmaxx]
      #125865 - 05/02/09 09:31 AM

The 505 is clearly a warranty issue.

I would suggest that any rifle to be used on large game such as these two rifles are, will need additional work. This has already been suggested numerous times in regard to CZ's.

The beauty of getting a gunsmith to correct any design or manufacturing problems is that you have control over what is fixed and how. IMHO the CZ's are a great basic platform.

It is dissapointing to purchase a rifle that does not function first up, but these issues are quite easily improved upon and corrected by a competant gunsmith.

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: tophet1]
      #125867 - 05/02/09 10:11 AM

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #125870 - 05/02/09 10:38 AM

Big Bore,
I feel for you mate. There is nothing worse then paying out good money for a new rifle that won't shoot. I must admit that I have no experience of the 550's other than that a mate has one in 375H&H and it seems to shoot & feed well. He likes it, especially for the Money!
I own 2 CZ/BRNO's both both are model 602's. One is in 375H&H and the other in 458Win. The 375H&H is a dream. shoots just about any load very well, never has had a feed problem. And I wouldn't part with it for quids.I've owned the 375 for over 20 years. The 458 on the other hand, well she can be a bitch! She has had feed problems since the day I bought her. The only way to get her to feed is by using solid projectiles only. She is accurate though. Still I love the all steel actions and if I ever do go after something big and or bity and want a 458, I'd probably send her off to a good gun smith and spend what ever was needed to fix her feed problem.
I hope that your CZ problems are fixed quickly.
Good luck & regards
Rod

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #125872 - 05/02/09 11:11 AM

Quote:

another thing unrelated what is everyones obession with the lott its not all that great in my opinon everyone loads them down to 458 winn velocities only advantage is shoot a 550 grainer

What???

--------------------

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #125873 - 05/02/09 11:16 AM

Aint no whats about it what i said explains it all

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

#125875 - 05/02/09 11:19 AM

Quote:

Aint no whats about it what i said explains it all

Uh huh.

--------------------

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #125877 - 05/02/09 11:25 AM

Bigboar,

I've also heard from a couple of previous owners of CZ and they all said that the CZ can be a very good rifle but it will require additional work on the action and magazine to get it smooth and flawlessly functional. I couldn't tell you what the cost or time involved would be in reworking the rifle, but many would not invest the effort. They do offer an alluring package to the would-be-newcomer in big bore rifles, but you could get the same in a different brand, as you mentioned, and put almost no money into it afterwards.

Sorry about the issues you had with the CZ. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, nor would I tell that person, "well, you asked for it and should've known better". Live and learn. Thanks for sharing your misfortune with the rest of us. If the word gets around, the quality control at CZ may increase to the benefit of us all.

--------------------

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #125878 - 05/02/09 11:31 AM

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #125884 - 05/02/09 01:18 PM

I don't care if you've paid $3000.00 or $300,000.00 for a rifle, you have to expect at least that it will chamber the cartridge it was designed for and fire that cartridge through a barrel with hunting accuracy to 100yds or so.

Contact first the dealer that sold the rifle and insist that he replaces it. If you have no joy there Contact CZ and raise the matter with them.

The price difference can get you better wood, better fit, smoother action, better finish, better accuracy. BUT a rifle must be a rifle in its basic function.

If neither the dealer or CZ will help, go to the police and file a complaint for theft. They have stolen your money.

As a note, the 505's were never in the past a mass produced item. They are a bitch to get to feed as the action is marginally sized for them. If you want one on a mauser style action then best to get a gunmaker to build one from scratch. They would be better on a pushfeed.

Regards

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: Bramble]
      #125887 - 05/02/09 01:29 PM

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: bigboar]
      #125891 - 05/02/09 01:51 PM

Quote:

But, then for a 505 Gibbs it is CZ or nobody.

Actually there are a couple of dozen riflemakers who build a fine .505, but you are looking at $15K to $20K.

see www.rbbigbores.com

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: 500grains]
      #125892 - 05/02/09 01:54 PM

505 from ryan will run you 23k starting out he built my 375 and the start point was 18k

thorshammer
.300 member

#125893 - 05/02/09 01:57 PM

well probally more due to the fact i talked to him right after christmas and he had 1 416 ready to ship and his asking price was 22k

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #125895 - 05/02/09 02:46 PM

Quote:

As i said before you get exactly what you pay for and he did he got a rifle cz makes no claims it will fuction flawless at all and you cannot walk into a police station to report that no crime has been commited it is a civil matter and the time and court cost and lawyer fee will cost more then the price paid for both rifles

And respectfully. As I said, he did not get exactly what he paid for, he paid for a rifle.
For it to be a rifle it must perform the basic functions of a rifle. If it will not chamber a cartridge then it is not a rifle and the crime is theft.

You make it sound like it is this chaps fault, it is not. CZ and the dealer advertised a .505 for a sum of money. They did not supply one for that price. Ergo they stole from him.
To fail to supply goods for which you have been paid is not a civil matter it is criminal fraud.
Criminal fraud at least here, comes under the theft act.

That the price is too cheep for CZ perhaps to deliver a decent 505 is not the fault or the responsibility of the purchaser.

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: Bramble]
      #125896 - 05/02/09 02:53 PM

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #125897 - 05/02/09 03:57 PM

Quote:

Apples to oranges my friend everyone thinks their a lawyer until the courts tell you the same thing I did

Not in this case.
As Bramble says, CZ, or any other rifle manufacturer for that matter, not just implies, but explicitly states that their rifles are chambered for and designed for the use of a specific cartridge. If said rifle will not even chamber the round, then they have failed to deliver on their advertised promise. Not only that, but the BATF would have an interest that a manufacturer licensed to manufacture or market in the US has failed to insure the safe function of a firearm, which in this case, CZ obviously did fail to inspect the rifle for proper function.

There is an element of low cost - lower quality in play here, but that is not the same as low cost - inoperational and unsafe.

There should not be an expectation of spending a great amount of money to buy a fully functional high quality rifle. There are many guns on the market right now which will perform every bit as well as any $18-30K custom for well under $10K.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Huvius]
      #125901 - 05/02/09 05:35 PM

as I have said its my opinion and you get what you pay for a 10 dollar saddle the 505 gibbs on a 2 dollar horse the cz like i have stated i havent even held one so i can only go by what my rifle builders tell me and by all the problems stated I wouldnt even bother giveing one a glance but if thats what you have or can afford all the power to you

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: Huvius]
      #125902 - 05/02/09 06:04 PM

As a former federal prosecutor, I can assure that BATF would not know what to do with a .505 Gibbs if once came up and bit it on the arse. We had enough trouble getting agents not to write reports mentioning ".9 mm" pistols and .410 "gauge" shotguns, which they then expected us to present to a Grand Jury.

I'm afraid you would not get far alleging fraud in a case where a firearm failed to feed a cartridge correctly. Since the rifle was manufactured in the Czech Republic, presumably it underwent proof testing and was certified safe to shoot with standard ammunition. That should be enough to mount a successful defense against a charge of negligence, let alone fraud, which is an offence involving criminal intent. Case dismissed!

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: xausa]
      #125903 - 05/02/09 06:23 PM

here here thank you

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues [Re: xausa]
      #125906 - 05/02/09 08:02 PM

Quote:

Since the rifle was manufactured in the Czech Republic, presumably it underwent proof testing and was certified safe to shoot with standard ammunition.

xausa

the american line is assampled in the god old US of A, so they should be abel to correct their mistakes right then and there.
as far as i understand it you dont need to prof your guns in the us, right
i shouldent be to hard to get them to remedy the flaws of the gun in question.

we can't get the american line here in europe, unless it is shipped from the us to here. the CS is as far as i know here CZ is a well respected brand that makes rough rifles that can take whatever you could throw at it and keep on ticking, is is not the most expencive brand but the actions are used on a lot of costum jobs

Mjoelner: the idea that you have to pay huge sums of money to get a working gun is a bit off IMO, it is nice to get a costum job from a good gunsmith, but if they tell you that that is the only way, i think you been had in a very big way.

on another note then it would be nice for you to do a photo spread of your guns for all of us to enjoy your prices in your gun cabinet.

best regards

Edited by peter (05/02/09 08:19 PM)

thorshammer
.300 member

Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues *DELETED* [Re: peter]
      #125910 - 05/02/09 08:33 PM

Edited by thorshammer (05/02/09 08:44 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 33539

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com