Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Opinions on the CSMC rifled 20 bore?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Opinions on the CSMC rifled 20 bore?
      #125386 - 30/01/09 02:50 AM

This looks like it could be an ideal deer/boar gun. Any opinions?

Caprivi mentioned that an extra set of smoothbore barrels would make for an incredible package and I agree.

http://connecticutshotgun.com/rblpro.html

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Opinions on the CSMC rifled 20 bore? [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #125392 - 30/01/09 05:11 AM

It would be interesting, that's for sure. Unfortunately, they mention sabot - that means light for calibre slugs. If the gun is regulated for 385gr. or lighter slugs, it may not shoot a real bullet. 385grains is only 30gr. to 50gr. heavier than a pure lead round ball of .615". Now, there is nothing wrong with a 20 bore round ball, but I'd guess this gun is not rifled for round ball, but for a full sized slug considerably longer than the Lyman sabot slugs designed to be put inside 20 bore wads. If a person was to shoot .50 cal. bullets in 20 bore sabots, the twist of "probably" 36" is about right for a 450gr. bullet. If so, it will lack the killing/stopping power of a full sized round ball of 20 bore. These are merely my observations and opinions. The gun looks fine to me. Be much better if was a 16 bore and had 80" of twist.

Re-checked the site- apears to have regulating barrels, so one might be able to shoot a descent 20 bore bullets- IF the rifling twist will allow. Out to 150yards, a fast stepping round ball will prove superior on North American game. Wonder what the twist is?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by Daryl_S (30/01/09 05:13 AM)

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Opinions on the CSMC rifled 20 bore? [Re: DarylS]
      #125400 - 30/01/09 06:16 AM

From a call to CSMC this morning, the rate of twist is 1/12 (!!!)

I'm sure it'll be good for something.
Many 458 winchester rifles are set up with 1/14.

I'll stick with what I have for now.
Option for slow twist barrels would be nice.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Opinions on the CSMC rifled 20 bore? [Re: tinker]
      #125405 - 30/01/09 07:37 AM

now now tinker

imaging that you had to regulate it anyway, the 20 bore projectile you would have to construct to make a 1/12" work.
now we are talking slow and heavy, but as far as i heard i would penetrate pretty good as well

cheers

peter

P.S where have you been mate ?

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Opinions on the CSMC rifled 20 bore? [Re: peter]
      #125407 - 30/01/09 07:49 AM

Why is a twist rate of 1/12" bad? Why would a round ball be better on North American game?

Typically a round ball exhibits poorer ballistics than a conical, bullet-shaped projectile. Also, isn't it better to error on the side of too much twist rather than too little? When in doubt, a fast twist rate is usually the way to go.

I don't think they'll sell too many of these due to the specialty of the gun but, for those thay buy them, I expect them to be very serviceable in the field. These are the kinds of guns we look back on after 10 years or so and think "I should have bought one when...."

--------------------

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Opinions on the CSMC rifled 20 bore? [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #125447 - 30/01/09 08:40 PM

1/12" is going to be great for someone.
Round ball is 'bore rifle', sabot/slug is sabot/slug.
They're different.

The shallow, sharp rifling profile at 1/12 will have roundball stripping at high velocity.

For the guys who want to run solid 5/8oz copper bullets in sabots at 1500fps in their shotgun-only areas and seasons this little rig will be just the ticket.
The price looks nice too, and will likely get a few guys into their first double rifle. Good for them!

Peter-
I've been chasing work. It's quite a bitch out here around the bay right now, but I'll make it through - just need more of the day than usual to do it. I've only had a few moments to peek in here lately, fewer to write.
It's two in the morning and I'm just getting on here for a moment before I pass out and charge into another day!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2858

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com