Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Does This Takedown System Cut the Front Receiver Ring Off?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Does This Takedown System Cut the Front Receiver Ring Off?
      #125084 - 25/01/09 01:36 PM

Can't quite figure out what was done to this 416 Rigby Mauser but it seems to work . . .

Explanations from the experts here most welcome.

Good hunting, everyone!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Does This Takedown System Cut the Front Receiver Ring Off? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #125087 - 25/01/09 02:44 PM

Scary lookin setup...
I suspect the action has a dovetail which the receiver ring slides on to. Kind of a "drop in - slide forward" deal?
Then, is the strength of the action largely borne by the bolt itself?
Barrel contour looks light for a 416 too - questionable...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Does This Takedown System Cut the Front Receiver Ring Off? [Re: Huvius]
      #125088 - 25/01/09 03:01 PM

not really that much different than the ritterbusch i believe, where the front receiver ring is hollow and the barrel with the rest of the front ring slides in and locks somehow.
this looks like the front screw is holding the fort down, i,ll take a holland setup . where the whole action with barrel comes out as one ....paul

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Does This Takedown System Cut the Front Receiver Ring Off? [Re: pjaln]
      #125104 - 25/01/09 05:35 PM

It looks to me like an ersatz Mauser 66 solution - except the 66 provides reassuring barrel lockdown and established accuracy.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Does This Takedown System Cut the Front Receiver Ring Off? [Re: Paul]
      #125105 - 25/01/09 06:09 PM

What a silly system. Why not just detach the whole action from the stock, ala Mannlicher, or unscrew the guard screws.

You still end up with a barrelled action shorter than the stock.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Does This Takedown System Cut the Front Receiver Ring Off? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #125121 - 26/01/09 01:26 AM

This "gunsmithing" operation is located in Sarrebourg (German: Saarburg) a commune in the Moselle department in Lorraine in northeastern France. It lies in on the upper course of the river Sarre. (Wikipedia) This is an area which has changed hands repeatedly between France and Germany, a fact reflected by the makeup of the population.

The rifle combines what I think is worst about German stock design (Schweinsruecken, Beyerische Backe, Kaisergriff) with the nadir of French metalwork. No doubt the action is strong enough, but how can it possibly be accurate, with so little bedding area? Then there is the monstrosity of the scope and mount. The scope is much to large and fited with too many bells and whistles for a rifle of that power and the mount is clearly too weak to stand up under the recoil of the rifle combined with the weight of the scope.

I suspect the happy owner was VERY close to the animals he shot, close enough in fact to use the iron sights, because it is extremely difficult for me to believe that that outfit is capable of any kind of medium range, let alone long range, accuracy.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Does This Takedown System Cut the Front Receiver Ring Of [Re: mickey]
      #125124 - 26/01/09 01:36 AM

No thanks

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Does This Takedown System Cut the Front Receiver Ring Of [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #125127 - 26/01/09 02:42 AM

Quote:

No thanks

Ditto here..

The french copy nobody...nobody copies french

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Does This Takedown System Cut the Front Receiver Ring Of [Re: rigbymauser]
      #125129 - 26/01/09 03:08 AM

With a well fitted clawmount in the reciever it chould have a good accuracy.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Does This Takedown System Cut the Front Receiver Ring Of [Re: 450_366]
      #125133 - 26/01/09 03:30 AM

Far be it from me to be contrary, but...

Gotta defend a fellow lefty with a righty gun!

1} "is the strength of the action largely borne by the bolt itself?" Not sure exactly what you are asking here but if you are referring to the containment of pressures, yes. This sytem is a barrel-extension system as for principles no different than that of a Remington 870. Bolt lugs bear the strain inside the removable receiver ring.

2} "Why not just detach the whole action from the stock, ala Mannlicher, or unscrew the guard screws." I think in order to maintain bedding of the rear action portion. I do not know by what method the barrel is attached, but if it is stiffly done, it seems to possess no inherent accuracy problems. That is, action resists recoil and provides for security for the barrel extension, barrel extension contains pressure and probably the barrel is freefloated? I don't see a problem as long as the barrel extension locks up tight. Does that rail possess a cam lock of some sort?

3} "the mount is clearly too weak to stand up under the recoil of the rifle combined with the weight of the scope." I don't know. Very light shotguns are used with various cantelever mounts and hold up fine. I tested quite a few over hundreds of heavy slug loads years ago and found very good maintenance of zero. Dropping this gun or bumping it might be another issue, but mere strength under recoil shouldn't be bad in my opinion.

BTW: Looks like the animals were shot with a different rifle. Maybe this thing won't shoot!

As for taste, it is certainly extreme, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I like a more delicate Schnabel, but otherwise, I kinda like it.

But then, I love the roccoco Einsiedeln Chapel of the Black Madonna, too.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Does This Takedown System Cut the Front Receiver Ring Of [Re: 9.3x57]
      #125136 - 26/01/09 04:00 AM

Quote:

BTW: Looks like the animals were shot with a different rifle. Maybe this thing won't shoot!

Just noticed that too. Not the same gun in the hunt photos at all. You can clearly see that the hunt gun has a scope mount connected to the rear bridge. Different stock - totally different rifle!
IMO, the takedown is not a 416. The muzzle looks to be much too thin for a 416.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Edited by Huvius (26/01/09 04:02 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3256

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com