Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Brennekes in the Double Slugger

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Brennekes in the Double Slugger
      #125112 - 25/01/09 10:44 PM

Bit too stormy today for a walk in the bush, so a chronographing session seemed like a workable Plan B.

Took the Wm Griffiths double slugger to the range with a handful of Brenneke 1 1/8 oz factory-loads, to check ballistics and see how the POI differs from the woeful RC4 slugs the gun was re-regulated for.

Shooting right, left, right, left, results were 1473, 1457, 1467, and 1445 fps from the cut-down 24-inch true-cylinder-bore tubes. Not bad considering the published ballistics are 1434 fps from a Remington 870. The best part was the grouping! A little low on target with my sights, but typical one-hole accuracy at 25 metres:

I can only hope my handloads with the Brenneke slugs kindly sent to me by a forum member in Europe can match these factory ballistics and accuracy. Only one way to find!

Our biggest challenge in Australia is convincing our importers to once again bring these marvellous slugs back into the country. Obviously the profit margin is not as good as for the current rubbish they sell.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Brennekes in the Double Slugger [Re: Marrakai]
      #125123 - 26/01/09 01:30 AM

BRENNEKES not imported?? I thought they'd be everywhere.

Wow.

How about round balls. Have you ever worked with them in your gun?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: Brennekes in the Double Slugger [Re: 9.3x57]
      #125128 - 26/01/09 02:51 AM

Marrakai,
Impressive performance.
I will have to make one of this double smooth bores......

Martin

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Brennekes in the Double Slugger [Re: beleg2]
      #125130 - 26/01/09 03:11 AM

marrakai

that looks real good, less height on the front sight and you are there. that should be a cool pigpopper to bring along for a walk or two.
i look forward to see how you get along with the reloading but i think that you got that part down soon.
congrats on the slug fest, you will have now.

cheers

peter

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Brennekes in the Double Slugger [Re: peter]
      #125140 - 26/01/09 05:33 AM

Great shooting marrakai - I-too would like to see how it shoots a well set-up round ball load. Cast from WW alloy, they'll out penetrate the various 'slugs', including the Brenneke's.

There seems to be 2 or more different weights in Brenneke's. I've seen them listed to 575gr. - that might have been a long time ago, though.

The speeds you are getting are excellent for a 492gr. slug plus wad column.

Alan Mckenzie of this forum has also been working on RB loads for his smooth double and my Husky with right tube straight rifled has now been tested with RB's.

The nice thing about round balls, is you can adjust the weight, ie: diameter over a fairly broad spectrum and still obtain really good accuracy. The smallest I've shot in the 12 bore was .684" as I had the mould for my 14 bore rifle. I got these 480gr. in pure and 466gr. in WW up to 1,550fps with both black powder and smokeless. The normal 12 will take balls right up to 729" which is nominal for 12 bore, but most bores are oversize these days in single barrels. What the doubles run, I don't know. My double, make of fluid steel around 1900, had .725" bores.

What this means is you can adjust regulation same as with a rifle - by adjusting ball weight and charge to get the barrels to shoot together. As noted, the .684" weigh 466gr. in WW alloy but 480gr. in PB(pure) while the easily aquired Lyman .715" pure lead ball weighs 545gr. and about 535gr. in WW alloy. I've a Jeff Tanner(England) .725" mould that casts 575gr. in pure and 550gr. in WW's, and for overbored guns, there's a Lyman .735" ball that round around 595gr. and 570 in WW., so there's a spread of 466gr. to 600gr. just for the testing and regulation of loads to barrels.

The only 'trick' to getting round balls to shoot accurately, is developing some method of holding them centred in the bore - the base cup (gas check) of an used trap wad, if cup-shaped, does the trick for any ball size. One cup down over the smokeless powder and 1 cup-up underneath the ball works perfectly. Any trap range is littered with them. A pair of side-cutters does quick work on the cushion and pedals. Normal fiber wads are used for 'filling' in to get proper wad height for crimping. I like folded crimps with the ball just pushing up the folds a bit, to be visible. Others use a roll crimp and still others, use a bullet crimp with brass cases like the picture. Allan uses a couple felt-type wads with the centre cut out to centre the ball and this works well in his double. It's all about experimentation.

I'll caution about black powder loads - they kick a lot more than smokeless - and - if using plastic in a black powder load, the plastic must be isolated from the black powder or it will melt the plastic onto the bore. I used 2 card wads on the powder then the plastic cup and that seems to work. Greener's book lists 3 12 bore loads for black powder - 4 1/4 drams or 116gr., 150gr. or 5 1/2 drams and 191gr. or 7 drams. The 7 dram load shot to my sights as did the smokeless that kicked about 1/2 as much - interesting. Too, the 5 1/2 dram load also shot close enough for game shooting - about 5" at 50 yards. both smokeless and heavy black powder loads would hold in 3 to 3 1/2" at 50yards and 8" at 100 yards.

Edit to include picture. These are the loads for the right barrel of my 16 bore Husky double. The groove diameter is .703 (about 13 bore) while the bore is .671"- weak 16.- Interesting, straight rifled. The balls are .684", qwhich engrave almost 1/2 way - initial shotoing was offhand @ 28 yards - nice balmy -20 - cold and miserable, Actually, the shooting was fast and furious as I just wanted to get out of there. They made a diagram of 3" for 10 shots, the first 5 shots were in 1 1/2".

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by Daryl_S (26/01/09 06:15 AM)

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Brennekes in the Double Slugger [Re: DarylS]
      #125181 - 27/01/09 12:33 AM

Daryl:
I should be mad at you, 'cause you cost me a great deal of time at the reloading bench and the range a couple of years ago, trying to get lead sperical ball to shoot in my smooth-bore double!

Nothing I tried would hold better than about 3 1/2 inches at 25 yds, and most loads were worse (some much worse!).

I even shot polished steel automotive CV-joint ball-bearings in the quest for consistency.

..and yes, I tried the inverted over-powder cup under the round-ball, several different types in fact. I simply cannot duplicate the fine accuracy you regularly post here with spherical ball in your smooth-bores.

I should be mad at you, but I'm not of course, 'cause its all a heap of fun and a wonderful learning experience.

The one thing I have learned from all this, though, is that I can get slugs to shoot far more accurately than sphericals.

I can only apologize for my obvious short-comings.
Sorry......

BTW Daryl I have saved your excellent summary above, and will probably have another go at this one day. Don't like to admit defeat!

--------------------
Marrakai

Edited by Marrakai (27/01/09 12:36 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

#125182 - 27/01/09 12:43 AM

Quote:

I even shot polished steel automotive CV-joint ball-bearings in the quest for consistency.

The Mother of all Monos!!

Now THERE's a candidate to beat all candidates in the search for the elusive OSR.....

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

#125203 - 27/01/09 08:45 AM

Sorry to hear of the failure of your ball shooting. I think Alan is getting good accuracy with his 12 double with RB's. He's using a fairly thick felt wad with a hole in the middle to centre the ball.

Did you try the slightly undersized balls as I did?

The Lyman waisted slug comes in WW at about 506gr., 520gr. in pure lead and in the .680" range, but fits inside a regular field plastic wad. Guys are claiming exceptional accuracy with them.

When I can afford it, I'll buy another 12 bore - maybe a Baikal from tradexcanada.com for chopping and sighting for a camp gun.

Lt.James Forsyth (The Sporting Rifle and it's Projectiles) says if the barrels diverge or converge, to sight for the best barrel and learn where to hold for the other one for the second shot.

Do your barrels merely shoot apart, or do they both put down lousy groups?

The first load I found both barrels to shoot to the sights with, was 5 1/2 drams 2F. This ran around 1,400fps. The 7 dram load also shot well, but in a 7 1/2 pound gun, kind of spun me a bit and also cracked the wrist. After repair and pinning, it held fine, but those big loads sure kicked. I ended up with a smokeless load that also shot well and kicked about 1/2 - I've said 1/3 the recoil in other posts - it feels much nicer to the shoulder is the point. I was easily able to get 1,550fps with smokeless, same as the very heavy BP load.

The main reason I favour the RB's is the ability to shoot hardened lead. You can bust both shoulders of a moose with one and barely mark the ball at all. They also don't deviate from their path, straight-line penetration is most important - Of course, I haven't shot any moose with RB's from a smoothbores here, that's illegal - from a rifle, I have - that's different and they are GREAT! I suspect the game branch feels the rifle, with any charge is more powerful than a smoothbore shooting the same projectile at much increased speeds. What I mean, is you can hunt with a 14 or 12 bore rifle here, with RB and use a pipsqueak load running 300fps, yeah - 300fps and that's OK, but the same ball running 1,550fps isn't powerful enough.

Oh well. I suspect the Lyman Mould with WW balls will penetrate likewise. If they are too soft, merley sit them in an oven at 400F for abotu 2 hours, then quench them in a bucket of tap water. 12 hours later, they'll be double in brinel hardness or more but remain ductile and not shatter on hard stuff like bones.

--------------------
Daryl

JohnWilkes
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/09
Loc: SA
      #125219 - 27/01/09 07:26 PM

Thought provoking stuff. Forgive my ignorance but when loading the lyman solids are you using a standard shot wad over the powder and what sort of crimp. Excellent tip re hardening. Good practical advice. I reckon there is a book in this from you Daryl, you have obviously put a lot of time, thought and effort into your shotgun/bore rifle r&d.
Interesting point re the Forsyth book. I remember reading something similar (beggared if I remember
the author) with regard to the shotgun as a general purpose unit in India pre WW2. I think
using lg in one barrel and a solid (unspecified type) in the other. I gather this was not an uncommon practice in India,and continued for many years (something to do with Indian laws re rifled arms, not sure though) perhaps our Indian or historically orientated members could comment.

--------------------
Horses for courses
Guns for game
Hounds for grounds

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Brennekes in the Double Slugger [Re: JohnWilkes]
      #125223 - 27/01/09 09:03 PM

Quote:

Excellent tip re hardening. Good practical advice. I reckon there is a book in this from you Daryl, you have obviously put a lot of time, thought and effort into your shotgun/bore rifle r&d.

I would buy it - if you signed it for me of course!

Quote:

Lt.James Forsyth (The Sporting Rifle and it's Projectiles) says if the barrels diverge or converge, to sight for the best barrel and learn where to hold for the other one for the second shot

There was a reprint of this book in December 2008 - its available from sellers on Amazon UK, one of the sellers is in the US
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1437339433/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Is it a good read?

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: Brennekes in the Double Slugger [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #125226 - 27/01/09 10:10 PM

You can download the book here and print a new copy:

http://books.google.com.ar/books?id=Gm4C...Its+Projectiles

Thanks
Martin

JohnWilkes
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/09
Loc: SA
Re: Brennekes in the Double Slugger [Re: beleg2]
      #125229 - 27/01/09 11:40 PM

gracias,signor.

--------------------
Horses for courses
Guns for game
Hounds for grounds

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Brennekes in the Double Slugger [Re: JohnWilkes]
      #125232 - 28/01/09 12:32 AM

Quote:

I think using lg in one barrel and a solid (unspecified type) in the other. I gather this was not an uncommon practice in India,and continued for many years

This also can be the solution, as it were, to a gun that shoots one barrel to POA with slug/RB and puts the other one somewhere distantly else. You may find miscreant barrel to pattern buck OK and thereby at least have some form of backup shot. Sort of a "single shot" slug gun with a quick load of buckshot at hand.

Hardening can also be done by dropping the bullet straight from the mod into a bucket of water.

JUST MAKE SURE NEVER TO MIX IN ANY WAY WATER AND MOLTEN LEAD.

FOR EXAMPLE, DO NOT TAKE WET BULLETS FROM THE BUCKET AND DUMP THEM BACK INTO THE POT; A STEAM EXPLOSION CAN BE THE RESULT!!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#125243 - 28/01/09 04:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think using lg in one barrel and a solid (unspecified type) in the other. I gather this was not an uncommon practice in India,and continued for many years

Sort of a "single shot" slug gun with a quick load of buckshot at hand.

Hardening can also be done by dropping the bullet straight from the mod into a bucket of water.

JUST MAKE SURE NEVER TO MIX IN ANY WAY WATER AND MOLTEN LEAD.

FOR EXAMPLE, DO NOT TAKE WET BULLETS FROM THE BUCKET AND DUMP THEM BACK INTO THE POT; A STEAM EXPLOSION CAN BE THE RESULT!!

I might add to this if I may - getting ANY moisture in a pot of molten lead WILL cause an immediate and uncontrollable explosion of molten lead - it stills and keeps on burning until it's cool.

I've water-dropped bullets by the hundreds, if not thousands without incident. The bucket was behind me and had a towel draped across the top with a slit in the towel that allowed the bullet to drop into the water. Any spashes were caught by the towel & with me inbetween the bucket and the pot, no water could hit it. Lead explosions are quite incredible to see - you don't want ot see one - been there. All I did was to dropping some WW that were cold from outside - not wet, but frozen still. WHUMP! and the pot was almost empty - I was very lucky, but the linolium floor had to be recovered after I rolled up the 15 or so pounds of lead stuck to it. It sprayed on the walls, my jacket, trousers and shoes- a few small burns is all I got- just lucky that day. I'd pour a bullet, turn around and open the mould close to the bucket and drop the bullet in. Using straight WW metal, no tin added, they'd come out at Brinel 28 to 32 if the temp was help high with heavy frosting completely around the bullet. That is the way I cast WW metal and always get perfect bullets. Completely frosted. Linotype runs around 20 to 22 on the Brinel scale. The bullet are still soft when you take them out of the water, so be gentle and dry them, let them sit for 12 to 24 hours and they become hard.

Veral Smith wrote the book on heat treating cast bullets - "Jacketed Performace From Cast Bullets" Check out ww.castbulletassoc.org He has a link there, somewhere and is a member of that association.

I did not know that Forsyth's little book was back in print. That's wonderful new to know everyone can not read it & learn. I had to read it 3 times to understand some of it as the language and terminology used is old English. It is a wonderful read with a great deal of information in it. Some of the conclusions and other stuff, well, it's an 1850's era hunter's & English gun maker's grasp on ballistics - plain wrong, BUT - most is greatly worthwhile. Some of the tech stuff is amazing - we are impressed at their grasp on a lot of ballistics that is not known by the majority today. It is most unfortunate if a shooter of muzzleloaders or early ctg. guns (bore rifles) doesn't read it. this book is the reason I had a 14 bore single made for hunting in BC, (couldn't afford a doublegun)

As to the first sentence I've quoted from 9.3 x57's post - concerning having a ball loaded in one tube - Forsyth also says this and I quote from page 77 - "even when shooting small game with a shot gun, I never load more than one barrel with shot, and always have a rifle at my elbow; for my spaniels have roused a panther when I expected to see them flush a partridge. I have found myself face to face with wild elephants when looking for jungle-fowl; and I have almost trodden on the tail of a tiger, when stalking a spotted buck."

Yes - it's a delightful read as well as providing much information of game and game shooting, it also provides quotes of other hunters & doctors (gun shot wounds) of the period, including Baker & W. Greener. He deals with concials (various shapes and sizes vs. balls, merits and demerits of both - yes - it's manditory reading.

--------------------
Daryl

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #125274 - 28/01/09 01:40 PM

Quote:

Bit too stormy today for a walk in the bush, so a chronographing session seemed like a workable Plan B.

Took the Wm Griffiths double slugger to the range with a handful of Brenneke 1 1/8 oz factory-loads, to check ballistics and see how the POI differs from the woeful RC4 slugs the gun was re-regulated for.

Shooting right, left, right, left, results were 1473, 1457, 1467, and 1445 fps from the cut-down 24-inch true-cylinder-bore tubes. Not bad considering the published ballistics are 1434 fps from a Remington 870. The best part was the grouping! A little low on target with my sights, but typical one-hole accuracy at 25 metres:

I can only hope my handloads with the Brenneke slugs kindly sent to me by a forum member in Europe can match these factory ballistics and accuracy. Only one way to find!

Our biggest challenge in Australia is convincing our importers to once again bring these marvellous slugs back into the country. Obviously the profit margin is not as good as for the current rubbish they sell.

Marrakai,
Pretty good shooting and those slugs should give quite a wallop but having your guns so close to that cinder block just gives me the willies!

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Brennekes in the Double Slugger [Re: gatsby]
      #125279 - 28/01/09 02:20 PM

Quote:

having your guns so close to that cinder block just gives me the willies!

Gatsby:
We tend to wait till after the shooting to get on the gas....

Seriously, a masonry block on a concrete bench is one of the most stable shooting platforms you can get, which is why we fitted-out our range with them. The rest itself is actually a commercially-made shot-filled leather gadget, also very stable.
Regardless, the shooting line is no place for clumsy persons anyway.

--------------------
Marrakai

9.3x57
.450 member

#125285 - 28/01/09 04:18 PM

Quote:

Seriously, a masonry block on a concrete bench is one of the most stable shooting platforms you can get, which is why we fitted-out our range with them. The rest itself is actually a commercially-made shot-filled leather gadget, also very stable.
Regardless, the shooting line is no place for clumsy persons anyway.

Ha!!

Funny you mention it.

I was "lusting": after that concrete setup and have for a long time been mulling over building such a deal on my place at 100 meters, and at the 200 yard line that also serves for 300 and 400.

Alas, I'm lazy, but when my current benches give up the ghost I'm gonna pack up a pickup load of portland cement, sand, gravel and elbow grease...

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#125321 - 29/01/09 02:45 AM

Concrete benches are definitely the way to go. We have a wooden bench down on the primitive range (BP & round ball only) where I do a lot of load testing on weekends with my flintlock rifles. Now and then, I go up to the centrefire range and test, mid week when the dweebs are working; and shoot there off the concrete benches. I use a heavy, normal BR-type adjustable rest for bench shooting, but always rest the gun's stock in my hand, and hand on top of the rest's bag. When shooting on the lower range, I get 1" groups of 5 with the flintlocks at 50 yards and their best loads, but up top on the full-bore range shooting off the concrete benches, those same load's groups shrink to 1/2". That's quite a difference.

--------------------
Daryl

Marrakai
.416 member

#125351 - 29/01/09 02:00 PM

We have both single-sided bench-tops (cut out for a right-handed shooter) and ambidexterous ones!

Here's a photo of the latter, behind eldest daughter Nikki with the .577 Express:

--------------------
Marrakai

DarylS
.700 member

#125359 - 29/01/09 03:53 PM

Nice chunk of wood on that rifle. The grain structure just barely shows in the photo. Great looking gun Bearer, too. Congrats! I trid that, but Carol just said - carry your own damn gun, mine's heavy enough.

--------------------
Daryl

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #125976 - 06/02/09 09:19 AM

That is impressive. Have you tried them at greater distances? It would be interesting to see what, if anything, happens out to 100 meters.

--------------------
~

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #126137 - 07/02/09 11:20 PM

Quote:

We have both single-sided bench-tops (cut out for a right-handed shooter) and ambidexterous ones!

Here's a photo of the latter, behind eldest daughter Nikki with the .577 Express:

I know this is getting off topic, but let me ask...

Marrakai, how many .577 doubles do you have? Your lovely daughter is holding a hammer double with a Jones action. Your pride and joy is a Greener hammerless shotgun conversion.

That's right, guys, let your wandering eyes focus on the rifle...THE RIFLE, GUYS!

Have I missed something? This is your "Fat Lady".

What gives? Just don't remember that vintage .577.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Brennekes in the Double Slugger [Re: CptCurl]
      #126237 - 08/02/09 12:33 PM

Curl:
Perhaps I should have been more specific. Nikki is holding the 20-bore/.577 Alex Henry. Details here.

--------------------
Marrakai

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8930

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com