Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cabela's has a Rigby

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Cabela's has a Rigby
      #121067 - 13/12/08 12:35 PM

Cabela's has a Rigby listed on GI. In typical Cabela's fashion there description is less than stellar. looks to have been refurished at least once.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/detail....ds.ad_id%20DESC

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: Caprivi]
      #121076 - 13/12/08 02:23 PM

It had a Pachmeyer tip off mount on it once also.

I would sell one of mine for that kind of money.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: mickey]
      #121080 - 13/12/08 02:30 PM

When the price drops to $1500 please let me know so that I can buy it.

mickey
.416 member

Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: 500grains]
      #121093 - 13/12/08 06:25 PM

You'll be the first to know.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: mickey]
      #121128 - 14/12/08 05:43 AM

This is crazy--they had a couple at the gun show a few months ago --same crazy price..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: Ripp]
      #121143 - 14/12/08 08:19 AM

Quote:

This is crazy--they had a couple at the gun show a few months ago --same crazy price..

Ripp

I agree.
A .275 Rigby is a nice rifle, but near $10K?!?!
This is one of the few areas where Americans could be jealous of the gun market in the UK.

At Holts last auction, no less than four .275 Rigbys sold from between 650GBP and 1200GBP.
The US market is insane on these guns IMO.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: Huvius]
      #121154 - 14/12/08 02:00 PM

that is because the british view any bolt rifle as a military rifle ....has anyone here ever walked into a high end gunshop in england like purdeys,hollands, evans,asprey,go in and tell them your interested in bolt guns and right away you can tell your basically second class citizen they only make them for the american market ,also i think landrover sells more cars here then anywhere at 70k a pop , they probably think were nuts for that too!!!!...paul

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: pjaln]
      #121197 - 15/12/08 01:59 AM

I think that is more to do with the background of Purdey and Holland, i.e. hand built guns and rifles from the ground up. With respect, building a bolt rifle is merely the assembly of machined parts, with the possible exception of feeding, stock making and engraving. It doesn't have anything to do with being military or not...
As far as Land Rovers go, they're popular here too, but if you buy 'em, we'll happily sell 'em! Maybe Ford and GM would like to assemble them under license in Detroit! Of course I say "we", but they're now Indian.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #121201 - 15/12/08 03:37 AM

Quote:

As far as Land Rovers go, they're popular here too, but if you buy 'em, we'll happily sell 'em! Maybe Ford and GM would like to assemble them under license in Detroit! Of course I say "we", but they're now Indian.

You have to LOVE that outsourcing...

I do agree with some comments regarding Holland and Holland..at the SCI shows I have been at, you had better be wearing a Rolex and $2000 suite if you want their attention...seems to be a certain air about those working there...just my opinion...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
      #121212 - 15/12/08 04:25 AM

I do agree with some comments regarding Holland and Holland..at the SCI shows I have been at, you had better be wearing a Rolex and $2000 suite if you want their attention...seems to be a certain air about those working there...just my opinion...Ripp

I am inclined to think it is as it should be. Hollands is lauded as the pinnicale of gun making, then so be it that there clientle should be at that pinnicale as well. I don't forsee owning a H&H, or being on Ferraria's list, or dressed on Saville Row, or having a regular table at The Russian Tea House. So be it, let them spend.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #121225 - 15/12/08 06:20 AM

Quote:

I do agree with some comments regarding Holland and Holland..at the SCI shows I have been at, you had better be wearing a Rolex and $2000 suite if you want their attention...seems to be a certain air about those working there...just my opinion...

Ripp

Ripp

Remember the Film PRETTY WOMAN, when she walks into that store and doesn't get served.

I am sure that goes on everywhere.

Considering what it costs to go to SCI, don't you think they are more likely to spend as much time with people who want to buy a top end gun as opposed to people who just want to chew the fat ?

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #121461 - 18/12/08 04:44 PM

Quote:

that is because the british view any bolt rifle as a military rifle ....has anyone here ever walked into a high end gunshop in england like purdeys,hollands, evans,asprey,go in and tell them your interested in bolt guns and right away you can tell your basically second class citizen they only make them for the american market ,also i think landrover sells more cars here then anywhere at 70k a pop , they probably think were nuts for that too!!!!...paul

Why is that seeing as they make them too?

While I`m here does anybody that owns a genuine H+H actually wear the type of effing clothing they have online...geezus!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

mickey
.416 member

Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: gryphon]
      #121480 - 18/12/08 06:30 PM

Keep in mind that hardly anyone that works at Holland could ever afford to own one.

Also most of the attendees at SCI could buy most of the employees at Holland and still have change for a trip to Africa.

All they have is there 'stiff upper lip'.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: 500Nitro]
      #121520 - 19/12/08 07:32 AM

Quote:

Considering what it costs to go to SCI, don't you think they are more likely to spend as much time with people who want to buy a top end gun as opposed to people who just want to chew the fat ?

If they think they can tell the difference, then they are mistaken. Letting H&H counter employees make judgments about whom to be rude to is gross error. The London staff was rude to some industrialist from Germany because he wore jeans and a ratty shirt. So the industrialist asked to see the manager and told him he could buy all of H&H but would not be buying anything because the counter guy was an ass. The industrialist left and the H&H manager figured out who he was from the security video. H&H then kissed the industrialists bum until he finally bought some H&H rifles. This particular industrialist has shot over 100 elephants.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: 500grains]
      #121524 - 19/12/08 09:22 AM

500grains

I am in agreeance with you, that is why I made Reference to Pretty Woman.

But my statement still holds true, you just don't judge a book by it's cover, that's all.

pjaln
.375 member

Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: 500Nitro]
      #121533 - 19/12/08 11:24 AM

guys, i visited H&H about 10 years ago yes you can fell real poor fast in there most of the sales are geared toward shotguns or double rifles and we all know there not cheap , while i was in the store there was a man with his 2 daughters having shotguns fitted for them , they opened up 2 bottles of champagne for them god knows what the guns cost him , i met a clerk by the name of Darrel Greatorex on a thursday had a brief conversation with him about bolt guns the store was actually a little crowded , so i went back on saturday i spent about 2 hours there Darrel brought me up to the Brevis Room i guess were they entertain VIPs (not that i was one) , the room was incredible , many guns and a 700 nitro express that he practically threw at me to feel ,i have to say they were pretty good to someone that didnt buy anything. Purdeys on the other hand made me feel like i was liotering!!....Paul

enfieldspares
.224 member

Reged: 12/07/07
Loc: Great Britain
      #122100 - 24/12/08 11:54 AM

"that is because the british view any bolt rifle as a military rifle ....has anyone here ever walked into a high end gunshop in england like purdeys,hollands, evans,asprey,go in and tell them your interested in bolt guns and right away you can tell your basically second class citizen they only make them for the american market ,also i think landrover sells more cars here then anywhere at 70k a pop , they probably think were nuts for that too!!!!...paul"

Well, either you've never been to Bruton Street or you're repeating the sort of secondhand nonsense that gets tossed around on the internet now and again. I have never met anyone who has not been treated with the greatest of courtesy by any and all of Holland's staff.

No matter how dressed, who with, or how old or young. Even if spending not one penny. Two weeks ago I had the benefit of advice on four separate calls from Holland's regarding a .24) rifle being offered at auction. And two years ago the greatest of help sending back two guns from Paris to the United Kingdom. The charge? Just £60.

Either in person or on the telephone nothing is too much trouble. As for "an attitude" to bolt action rifles? Pardon? Never heard of .240 Apex, .244 Holland, .275 Holland, .300 Holland, .375 Holland? ALL BOLT ACTION rifle calibres! Not to mention the new .400 and .465. In fact Holland's were probably the best of the Mauser "converters" and certainly a "cut above" Rigby and two or three above Westley Richards.

pjaln
.375 member

Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: enfieldspares]
      #122108 - 24/12/08 12:46 PM

enfield spares , did you read my second post,i did state that i was treated real nice at hollands , and that i was shown a 700. nitro in the brevis room, i just felt like most of the saleman there were geared towards double guns and not so much bolt rifles .

and yes i do like H&H bolt rifles agreed they have made some of the best looking converters usually building there own bottom metal and scope mounts ,weird looking but functional bolt handles

also, i have a soft spot for my rigbys, all the more since there demise!!! and you gotta love those westley patent foresght ...apul

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
      #124871 - 22/01/09 06:47 PM

Quote:

. . . also i think landrover sells more cars here then anywhere at 70k a pop , they probably think were nuts for that too!!!!...paul

Just to set the record straight, there are economic reasons why Land Rover only sells the high end models here. You can't get the Defender 90 or 110 or 130 that you might ride around Africa in. They quit selling the Defender because there's no profit margin left after it's imported and certified to meet all federal & state environmental/safety requirements. A Defender may be bare bones but you can't build a vehicle that capable cheaply. The problem is, they couldn't sell enough to make it worthwhile at the prices they'd have to charge. So they just sell the models with enough luxury content to add the perceived value to justify the higher price.

Remember the old FJ40 Land Cruiser? Or, for those with really good memories, the Datsun/Nissan Patrol? Nissan and Toyota still sells the modern equivalents. In the rest of the world. Here, you can't get the Patrol and the only Land Cruiser you can buy will lighten your wallet by $70K or so.

If we're nuts, it isn't because Americans will only buy British goods if they're overpriced luxury items just for the snob value. Not all of us would turn up our noses at the chance to buy a Land Rover with roll-up windows and vinyl seats as long as it had locking diffs and could climb trees.

It's that we've voted that possibility out of existence.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Cabela's has a Rigby [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #124874 - 22/01/09 10:38 PM

Pjain or Paul, I agree with you, I have visited Holland many times and the service has always
been very friendly. I would count Pat and Alan as friends. I would add that some of the CUSTOMERS
are, to be kind, "brusque" or actually downright rude. They are usually the "hooray mob". best, Mike

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4614

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com