Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 16 Bore Husky Model 17?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
16 Bore Husky Model 17?
      #124567 - 20/01/09 06:57 AM

Finally got around to shooting the 16 bore with balls. I used .684" pure lead balls that I cast for the 14 bore cap-lock rifle. They engrave about 1/2 depth of the straight rifling. The target was shot offhand (standing) at 28 yards at a light spot on a piece of cardboard found on the range. I had to walk in and since it was a test, I didn't pack my shooting box with real targets, stapler, etc. The first 5 shots went into a group about 1 1/2", but the next 5 shots opened the group to over double, if you cound the low left shot. That shot, #6 could have been a bad hold, but felt good. I'm not sure it's mine, really, but stranger things have happened. I think if held tightly and shot off the bench, I could have made a pattern under 2" with 10 shots. This was the first time this gun has fired since I got it, shown by the 'rough' first test. The next test will be a bit more comprehensive, if I can get proper wads. I think the 480gr. wall will suffice. This gun shot to the sights, holding the bead just 1/8" higher than the bottom of the wide V. It looked and felt good, so I was happy to see the impacts just over the bead. If anything, it shot a bit left for the first run of 5 rounds. After heating up, the group moved a tich right - might have been me. I was cold, tired and not shooting 'up to snuff'.

The load used was a .715" hard card 1/8" over 82gr. 3F GOEX, then 2, 1/2" 16 bore lubed fibre wads(undersize), then the .684" ball, then crimping using the 12 bore paper crimping cone from my Herter's loading press. When cleaning, there was no leading - I was surprised and happy overall. I'll edit to include more pictures. I'll try to get some 13 bore wads for further testing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: 16 Bore Husky Model 17? [Re: DarylS]
      #124573 - 20/01/09 07:34 AM

That ain`t bad Daryl.

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: 16 Bore Husky Model 17? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #124575 - 20/01/09 07:56 AM

Great shooting Daryl!! The back end of the stock looks like it may be a bit painful with a thin shirt on! What are your thoughts on it's anticipated first use on game?

--------------------

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: 16 Bore Husky Model 17? [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #124580 - 20/01/09 08:26 AM

Great shooting, a very promising gun!!
Thanks, keep posting.
!
Martin

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: 16 Bore Husky Model 17? [Re: beleg2]
      #124581 - 20/01/09 08:38 AM

Daryl:
Good stuff. I have yet to put together the loads for my 16ga smooth barrel for my Husky combo. I intend to do the same using a .61 diameter ball to accomodate the choke of my tightest 16 bore. I will work with your advise of upright and upside down trimmed shot wad bases. The 12.7mm rifle bore shoots to aim with roughly 75 grain (volume equal to BP) charge of 777. This fills the case with a card wad and a swaged .510 410 grain HB Hornady bullet. I have only shot it at 50 meters. I plan to load 2.5 inch brass magtech shells for the ball loads. With the thin brass, I was thinking of trying a paper liner in the shell to tighten the space and make the wads fit better.
Any thoughts?

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 16 Bore Husky Model 17? [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #124585 - 20/01/09 10:20 AM

Thanks guys - I was really tickled with it after the first 5 shots and shouldn't have kept shooting at the same target, I knew I was going to spoil it's appearance - HA!

88Mau - You might be better off using plastics for the heavier walls. Paper liners in brass will work for a shot or two, I suppose. The mag-tech brass are quite thin and allow large sized wads, as-is/are?huh - anyway, a tube of heavy card (heavy in strong and dense) would be the best bet if they can be found.

Barring an upsidedown plastic base wad for a centring cup, a real felt wad or two, centre punched out with a wad punch would serve the same purpose, that of holding the ball in the centre of the bore while it passes up the tube. Stole that idea, not mine.

Jerry - the butt is indeed narrow and with a paltry 3 drams of fine powder it did come back fairly hard. I was wearing my magnum foam shoulder pad + my down parka (a mite chilly here) and still felt the recoil during those 10 rounds. My shoulder has some torn cartilage front and back that has taken my off the heavy kickers for a while. I'd say those rounds kicked about the same as my 9.3x62 loaded with 286's at 2,520fps, or 270's at 2,640fps.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #124586 - 20/01/09 10:28 AM

Cool rifle Daryl.

I have a Husky 16 bore top-lever back-action shot gun. Fine quality.

B.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
Re: 16 Bore Husky Model 17? [Re: bonanza]
      #124605 - 20/01/09 03:08 PM

Nice rifle Daryl! She (and you) can shoot!

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: 16 Bore Husky Model 17? [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #124632 - 20/01/09 07:41 PM

thats looks great, you better aneal the case mouth of the magtech brass. have made similar crimps with 12 ga brass once and most splits with first shot. maybe your lot is softer now.
your target is very, very improvised like deep in the woodland but it show that the mysterious straigth rifling isn't useles at all. your husky is worn but with character, any signs of old colour case on the action?. I would reblue the barrels and rework the stock careful
dont know if all old husky have had colour case on the action like my 17 A in 16ga - 24/40 here

another one was high polished

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 16 Bore Husky Model 17? [Re: lancaster]
      #124693 - 21/01/09 07:46 AM

Lancaster- your Husky's are beautiful. How about trading hammers? - HA!

My gun has a replacement on the right side that isn't perfectly matching the left hammer - close by no cigar. There is no casehardnening on the locks or action that I noticed - I'll have a closer look. My gun has been used and carried a lot - wonder what it's killed? As you can see, the varnish is worn mostly off the stock. Just looking at yours puts mine much earlier, I think- just before 1900's maybe? - look at the difference in sights, but then, perhaps mine is the way it is to allow for shooting the shot barrel without obstruction? The very widely spread and tall V is not needed - only 5/32" height is needed for a zero within a ball's range. I have a sterling silver turtle sight I might solder on the front, just because. The 'feet' of the turtle would wrapp the corners of the rib. Kinda cool. The blade would work for RB's and I don't even see the end of the barrel when shooting pellets - point and shoot - whap!
The premiminary test showed enough promise to make the gun worth restoring somewhat. I'll do the stock, and maybe polish the tubes - maybe get my bro to rust-blue them. He's got the boiling tank now and has been browning muzzleloading barrels for almost 40 years. Initial test with rust-bluing have given perfect results.

--------------------
Daryl

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #124697 - 21/01/09 08:30 AM

Great old gun and it looks as if could hit also, if its from around here il bet it took a couple of off season moose in the old days.

I have seen one in 20/20 with one twist rifled barrel together with one streight rifled, one must wonder why
not simply a paradox style in both?

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 16 Bore Husky Model 17? [Re: 450_366]
      #124706 - 21/01/09 11:53 AM

I'd love to have a gun like that - what a great moose/bear rifle! The 16 bore, with it's full choked left barrel is a bit tight for grouse. I expect I'll be honing it out a bit to even up and improve patterns for flushing birds. The tubes are a bit long as a general carry gun, but I can put up with that. Next fall when my buddy picks me up for moose hunting, I should be packing that 16!

Plastic for birds, brass for moose.

Andreas, I agree about the paradox but at the time, there were problaby heavy patent law agreements in place. How did it shoot? I've a feeling that shot loads in the straight rifled bore would be quite even, but wide, of course. I don't think it would shoot donuts like a smooth cylinder likes to do. The rifling might hold the wads back like a choke does due to the extra friction - just a guess. Of course, I've now got to wait for the 14 bore wads from Trackofthewolf - NP. It shoots fairly well with undersized fibre wads, butt that base wad must be at least groove diameter to prevent blow-by. I don't have many left. The ones I do have came from some very old plastic 12 bore slug loads I broke down. Interesting they are so small, coming from 12 bore cases.

--------------------
Daryl

lancaster
.470 member

#124728 - 21/01/09 05:57 PM

Quote:

How about trading hammers? - HA!

My gun has a replacement on the right side that isn't perfectly matching the left hammer - close by no cigar.

homework for swedish members, asking every old gunsmith in small towns in country, someone must have such hammers laying around in dirty, dusty boxes.

--------------------

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #124737 - 21/01/09 08:02 PM

Hey Daryl!

I am trying here to work something out for you regarding two new hammers for your Husqvarna DR. I have forewarded the picture to my gunmakers, who will try to look something up for scratch.
Lets see what happens..

jens

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 16 Bore Husky Model 17? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #124791 - 22/01/09 03:43 AM

WOW - thanks Lancaster for the suggestion and Jens for doing this for me. To find a set of mathcing hammers would be fantabulous. Yeah, I know there's no such word - but it has meaning.

--------------------
Daryl

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #124800 - 22/01/09 05:15 AM

Sorry, newer been into the huskys, so no spare parts around my home sorry. But i will have an eye open if i can find any.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: 16 Bore Husky Model 17? [Re: 450_366]
      #124954 - 23/01/09 02:34 PM

Alittle late for the main thrust of the thread, but here is my M17(?) combo in a smoothbore 16ga and a 12.7x44R rifle barrel. It is a pretty standard gun with no frills. The sights are a three leaft up to 300 meters. A nice thin blad that is adjustable for windage. The sights are rifle sights and not really what you would use for flying targets. I have yet to shoot a ball load in the smooth bore to see if there is any regulation of the barrels. Soon.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

lancaster
.470 member

Re: 16 Bore Husky Model 17? [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #124972 - 24/01/09 12:25 AM

its a model 17 B with 12,7x44R barrel: http://www.skydevaaben.com/husqvarna/model17a/info.xml

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#124993 - 24/01/09 04:03 AM

Lancaster - That is a fancy gun compared to mine. I wonder what model mine is? Is it a 1-off early M17 due to the oversized 16 bore rifled barrel and the straight stock? The chamber is full length, not a short one and will allow a plastic 2 1/2" case with a .684" round ball seated on top easily, withough touching the throat. The loads I used with 2.45" brass and ball seated 1/2 way in, have a bit of a jump to hit the throat and rifling - this is a pressure reducer & didn't seem to hurt the accuracy. I don't suppose it has much value over being a 'wierd' gun, but is a shooter. I've thought of relieving the left barrel's full choke to allow better patterns, but suppose I should shoot it first. heh,heh. I plan on using it for the BP ctg. gun trap shooting at Hefley Creek Rendezvous next August. A nice modified pattern would be great. Adjusting the handloads will do that for me. I also thought of reducing the barrels to 24" and installing rifle sights - am resisting that so far.

Actually, the straight rifled tube is a 13 bore on the grooves (.703") and a tight 15 (loose 16) on the bore(.671"). I have some 14 bore wads on-order for it at .703" diameter. I thought the .720" wads for the 13 bore might be a bit tight getting into the cases. I'd rather not have to bell the case mouths to seat the wads. I expect compression of the fibre wads upon ignition will tighten them up a bit & seal just fine. I ordered the fiber wads lubed. The undersized fibers I hand lubed and tried along with the single & double oversize 1/16" card wad seemed to work OK so far.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 16 Bore Husky Model 17? [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #125152 - 26/01/09 07:37 AM

Quote:

Great shooting Daryl!! The back end of the stock looks like it may be a bit painful with a thin shirt on! What are your thoughts on it's anticipated first use on game?

As to this gun's first use - maybe a black bear this spring? I'll not shoot a little bear - must be 6' or over. I've already taken a 6'4" black bear, so a nice 7 footer would be OK I guess. I know lots of people, my brother included who eat black bears, so it won't be a hide & head only kill. For a serious big game gun, I'd like to be able to shoot balls from both barrels. The left barerl would use plastic cases and a .662" ball, while the right uses brass cases and .684" ball.

This would mean having to shorten or relieve the tight choke of the left barrel I/C would be about right for RB and grouse - something I'm resisting right now. At full choke, it's really of no use on fall grouse while moose hunting. Our laws do not allow shooting moose with shotguns - perhaps the rifling will negate that law - perhaps not?

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#129056 - 09/03/09 05:39 AM

I decided to refinish the stock - seems to have made a difference in grain if you'll look at the above pictures in this thread for comparrison. At this stage, I have a 'number' of coats of True Oil rubbed on - with my hand, 1 to 2 days inbetween coats, no sand paper, no wet sanding as some have tried with varrying results.

At this stage, I could leave it and call it done - maybe rub it with pumice (rotten stone) to 'sweaten' the apearance to a soft glow, or - maybe I'll sand it back down to the wood with 1500 grit paper, dry, then put on a finish 3 or 4 thin coats, then polish to a mirror using a rouge paste I have a bit of - grande piano finish, which would look rather cool, but not historically correct, of course. I like to see the grain structure completely filled to a glass finish. Few oil treatments will do this as easily as True Oil.
Before shot.

1st pic- flash in an incandescent lit room.

2nd. pic - winter sunlight through the windows of sliding doors - no flash- sightly different angle.

--------------------
Daryl

lancaster
.470 member

#129111 - 09/03/09 06:39 PM

dont know if its correct but looks very nice, give the barrels ne blueing and it will be a beaty again

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#129130 - 09/03/09 10:40 PM

daryl, have you try a round ball load in the smooth barrel? maybe they shoot together.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#129141 - 10/03/09 01:09 AM

Haven't tried RB's in the smooth bore yet. I will have to get a smaller mould. The .662 mould I have produces balls too large for the slight choke.

I may at some time, reduce the length of the barrels so I can use the .662's in plastic cases for the left tube, full sized balls and brass in the right - but hate to hurt the 'grouse' shooting capability with shot. Of course, with black powder shot loads, a cylinder will give good coverage to about 30 yards on birds.

I have some 7 1/2 shot loads made up for testing - if it would only warm up a bit- it's -20 this AM - with 30mph wind. Wind chill is below -30.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#129324 - 12/03/09 04:25 AM

Anybody got a spare sight like this one?

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11187

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com