Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: action choices / recommendations

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
longrifle
.224 member

Reged: 13/01/09
Loc: New Mexico
action choices / recommendations
      #123923 - 13/01/09 10:42 AM

Hello,

New to the forum and wanted to get input from others who have owned the following actions. My intent is to build a "Jack O'Connor special", basically a custom 270, target grade heavy sporter barrel (my preference not Jack's), nice walnut stock. I would like the rifle to group .5" for long range shots. For those who have experience with custom rifles in this genre, I would appreciate some feedback on which action will get me there. The actions I am considering are as follows;

Dakota 76
Kimber 8400
N-Series from Waffenfabrik Hein (http://www.rifleactions.com/pricing.htm)

I have tried the new Model 70 action and don't particularly care for it. Likewise, I would prefer to stay away from the hassles of a Mauser action since I would like to do as much of the action work and chambering myself as I can. I liked the feel and cycling of the Kimber but have heard mixed reviews on feeding / accuracy. The Dakota 76 likewise has had a few negative posts on feeding and accuracy. The N-Series is unknown to me.

Other actions you could recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Longrifle

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: action choices / recommendations [Re: longrifle]
      #123936 - 13/01/09 02:01 PM

Get a good Remington action...get it trued and squared...put a good barrel like a Lilja or Hart--and off you go...

Check out many of the custom gun makers---I could list a dozen off the top of my head that all used Remington actions...as you are NOT hunting dangerous game with them..the pushfeed they offer will work just fine...as a matter of fact..I have used a Remington action thus far on 4 African hunts..no problems either..all in what you are comfortable with..

Good luck sounds like a fun project..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

longrifle
.224 member

Re: action choices / recommendations [Re: Ripp]
      #123968 - 14/01/09 12:10 AM

Thanks.

I had thought similarly at one time but wanted to give the control feed actions the benefit of the doubt. I have also thought of putting a 3 position safety / shroud on the remington to get the model 70 "look".

Still open to suggestions and feedback unless the overall opinion is to go with the 700 action.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #123981 - 14/01/09 02:23 AM

There are plenty of used but in good condition pre-64 Model 70 rifles floating around, even the pre-War variety, which have better workmanship, and buying a compete rifle for the action is cheaper than buying the actions you mention. If you can't find one, let me know and I may be able to help you out.

As far as the .270 is concerned, the only problem I see is the availability of match grade hunting bullets in that caliber. If you wnat to produce really accurate results, you need to take a step down to 6.5 caliber (6.5-'06 or 6.5X65 RWS) or a step up to .280 Remington or 7X64, both of which calibers have access to a whole range of really accurate bullets.

Then, of course, you would be abandoning the Jack O'Conner connection.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #124001 - 14/01/09 07:40 AM

I recently picked up a very early Dakota 76 in .375H&H. They are a very nice rifle and mine feeds and shoots very well. I have heard that they went through a period where the accuracy could be hit or miss; I think this was when they were using Lothar Walther barrels. The actions are nice but they are not cheap, you might be able to build your whole rifle for the cost of one. I would second the idea of finding a pre-'64 Model 70 action and working from there. You should be able to round one up for under $750.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: action choices / recommendations [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #124004 - 14/01/09 09:12 AM

I picked up a RH Dakota .375 H&H 76 on a sweet trade that feed flawlessly, but was not super-duper accurate. I hand to let it go with much pain, because I'm a lefty.

Look into Ed Brown.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Re: action choices / recommendations [Re: bonanza]
      #124014 - 14/01/09 01:07 PM

Quote:

I picked up a RH Dakota .375 H&H 76 on a sweet trade that feed flawlessly, but was not super-duper accurate. I hand to let it go with much pain, because I'm a lefty.

Look into Ed Brown.

If it pained you that much you could look into this one:

http://www.hallowellco.com/dakota_0001L.htm

Should have some cachet being the first Dakota made and a lefty at that.

Edited by SharpsNitro (14/01/09 03:37 PM)

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #124021 - 14/01/09 01:59 PM

I think I might be tempted to use a M70 pushfeed action.

Regards

longrifle
.224 member

Re: action choices / recommendations [Re: Bramble]
      #124096 - 15/01/09 03:31 AM

I was unaware the Pre-64 actions were still widely availlable. I was under the impression that they are as rare as hens teeth and pricey.

Xausa- do you have any leads on where I could look for a Pre-64 action. Since we are in the same state, I thought you might know of a gunshop / dealer that tends to have them. Thanks.

The .280 is definitely a thought. I started reading up on it and with that round a plethora of 7mm bullets becomes available. I like that!

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#124123 - 15/01/09 08:54 AM

The pre-'64 actions are usually found on well used (i.e. beater) rifles. I've seen a couple of .270s come through my local shop lately in the $750 range.

Another option to put on your list is the H-S Precision. They make a nice one; it's push feed with the Model 70 style safety, their barrels are good too. They guarantee 1/2 MOA accuracy on all their rifles .30 and under. I don't know if they sell barreled actions, you would need to ask them.

Ripp
.577 member

#124131 - 15/01/09 12:23 PM

Quote:

I The .280 is definitely a thought. I started reading up on it and with that round a plethora of 7mm bullets becomes available. I like that!

Have been using the .280 for many years..have 3 different custom rifles in that caliber and it is awesome--perfect for deer, bear, elk or whatever..as you stated..lots of bullets available..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#124132 - 15/01/09 12:30 PM

Quote:

The pre-'64 actions are usually found on well used (i.e. beater) rifles. I've seen a couple of .270s come through my local shop lately in the $750 range.

Another option to put on your list is the H-S Precision. They make a nice one; it's push feed with the Model 70 style safety, their barrels are good too. They guarantee 1/2 MOA accuracy on all their rifles .30 and under. I don't know if they sell barreled actions, you would need to ask them.

If you go the way of the HS--you will spend some money as well..have 2 of their rifles as well..just talked to Donny in Sales..they have had a price increase in the last 6 months..guns that were suggested retail at $2495 is now around $2895 or there about..

As to the accuracy factor..personally, would still compare the ability to get a 700 to shoot well with a good barrel to any other similarily priced action available--including winchester..reason I say that is I have several and they shoot really well and are readily available..just by the design of the action itself lends itself to shoot well --either way, as I stated earlier..will be a fun project

RIpp

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #124136 - 15/01/09 01:54 PM

Why would a Mauser be inherently more difficult to use than a mod. 70 or Remington?
Also, Jack O'Connor seemed to really like Mausers! Heck, in the chapter on action selection in his rifle book, he couldn't praise the '98 enough but gave the model 70 only seven short paragraphs.

Now, having tried to defend the honor of the '98, the Remington 700 is easily the most accurate rifle "out of the box" that I have owned.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: action choices / recommendations [Re: Huvius]
      #124183 - 16/01/09 12:52 AM

Quote:

Why would a Mauser be inherently more difficult to use than a mod. 70 or Remington?
Also, Jack O'Connor seemed to really like Mausers! Heck, in the chapter on action selection in his rifle book, he couldn't praise the '98 enough but gave the model 70 only seven short paragraphs.

Now, having tried to defend the honor of the '98, the Remington 700 is easily the most accurate rifle "out of the box" that I have owned.

I was told that that shape of the action makes it easier to work with by several gun smiths...not sure what is all true or not but do know if you browse a bit, many cutom shops either are or were until they develped their own, were using the remington actions..

As to your statement on the mauser action--agree, think it is an awesome action and if I were going to build a gun for DG, certainly the action type I would go with today

Thanks

Ripp

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #124191 - 16/01/09 01:35 AM

You have a PM.

MarinePMI
.275 member

Reged: 21/04/08
Loc: San Diego, CA USA
      #124300 - 17/01/09 09:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I was told that that shape of the action makes it easier to work with by several gun smiths...not sure what is all true or not but do know if you browse a bit, many cutom shops either are or were until they develped their own, were using the remington actions..

As to your statement on the mauser action--agree, think it is an awesome action and if I were going to build a gun for DG, certainly the action type I would go with today

Thanks

Ripp

Could simply be that flat bottomed receivers are easier to set up than round ones, eh?

--------------------
MarinePMI

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: action choices / recommendations [Re: MarinePMI]
      #124327 - 17/01/09 09:16 PM

If I were going to go to the expense of having a Remington worked on, I would seriously consider something like a Stiller 'predator' action, or one of the Borden 'alpine/timberlines'. Don't know what trueing and squaring cost in the States, but I reckon these actions would compare very favourably and have all the work already built in. Add a magazine box, jewell trigger and Lilja barrel (tip - look seriously at Bartlein barrels) and you are ready to go.

As for CRF, I don't know who builds the best Win '64 type actions these days, but there are a plethora of Mauser clones that are very well machined, but pricey. I would certainly look at the Ed Brown too

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #124347 - 18/01/09 01:57 AM

Greg Hein is being sued by several people for fraud. You would be well advised to stay away from him. There are other companies like Empire Rifles and John Bolliger's Mountain Riflery who offer their own actions in addition to Dakota. I am not sure if Kimber offer actions alone.

Best wishes and do post pictures of your rifle as she is being built.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Ripp
.577 member

Re: action choices / recommendations [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #124356 - 18/01/09 02:45 AM

Quote:

I am not sure if Kimber offer actions alone.

Best wishes and do post pictures of your rifle as she is being built.

I bought one of theirs and yanked the barrel and had a HART barrel put on..works great..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: action choices / recommendations [Re: MarinePMI]
      #124362 - 18/01/09 03:26 AM

Quote:

[
Could simply be that flat bottomed receivers are easier to set up than round ones, eh?

Your correct...that is one of the main reasons per my visits with custom builders...Jarret used to use them quite a bit..believe he now does his own...

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4883

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com