Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: plains game rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
BeltedMagnum
.224 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: New England
Re: plains game rifle [Re: Ripp]
      #124715 - 21/01/09 02:03 PM

Just my two cents.

I took a warthog, Gemsbok, Impala, Wildebeest and Kudu, all with 7mm rem mag. My PH was not thrilled with the choice at first, preferring bigger and slower. After seeing the performance on the TSX, which could not have been better, he said that he felt comfortable with me using it on an eland if I was interested. Unfortunately I could not afford the eland and the divorce it would have caused. Do I have a 375, yep, but I am more comfortable with the 7mm and could afford to shoot three boxes of ammo every weekend for the three months leading up to the trip. Others here know far more than I, but my advice is there is no magic caliber, but tons of range time will put a bunny in your top hat every time.

Belted

--------------------
Hunting Africa with Dad. Does it get any better?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aussiesteve
.275 member

Reged: 30/03/08
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australi...
Re: plains game rifle [Re: BeltedMagnum]
      #124744 - 21/01/09 10:33 PM

Thanks guys, you all have given me some things to consider in the year or so untill I depart. One thing I'd like to ask though is about barnes TSX bullets, and would they be any good for what I want? I can go to 250 grains if needed and Barnes say that if useing these bullets to drop back a weight. With the 225's I managed to shoot one through 4 feet of dead dry local hardwood ( mountain Ash for any Aussies) and had a sizeable exit, and saw the puff of dust 100 yards further down the valley where the bullet hit the ground.

Thanks again

Steve

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
Re: plains game rifle [Re: Aussiesteve]
      #124757 - 22/01/09 12:31 AM

Aussiesteve,

If we go to the range to check zero for the client and he unpacks a 338 win mag with premium 225 or 250gr bullets I get this very warm feeling in my heart a better combination for plainsgame you will not get.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #124770 - 22/01/09 01:39 AM

Use enough gun! Always a wise policy. The Swift A-Frames wont let you down. Good hunting.

--------------------
One day at a time...

BeltedMagnum
.224 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: New England
Re: plains game rifle [Re: bigmaxx]
      #124831 - 22/01/09 10:57 AM

Steve,

I am sorry to say that not owning a 338, I wouldn’t feel comfortable commenting on the bullet weight for that gun. My father had some custom loads made up for his 375 H&H about the weight you are referring to, in an effort to go a little flatter a little farther for PG. He and I both had excellent luck with TSX bullets, though he recovered the majority of his and I only a few. The ones that were not recovered left devastating exit wounds, two of the 7mm through rib bone on both sides. Based on my understanding, it sounds like you have just what you need.
My only advice is if you plan on shooting of sticks in SA, get yourself a set ASAP and get use to them. Also communicate before you head out with your PH about how you like to set the sticks up (if there are three posts, some PHs set them up with a leg towards you and some set them up with the V towards you) I had an awkward moment with an impala due to not clarifying this. No matter what comes up, go. You will never regret it!

Belted

--------------------
Hunting Africa with Dad. Does it get any better?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: plains game rifle [Re: Aussiesteve]
      #124840 - 22/01/09 12:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys, you all have given me some things to consider in the year or so untill I depart. One thing I'd like to ask though is about barnes TSX bullets, and would they be any good for what I want? I can go to 250 grains if needed and Barnes say that if useing these bullets to drop back a weight. With the 225's I managed to shoot one through 4 feet of dead dry local hardwood ( mountain Ash for any Aussies) and had a sizeable exit, and saw the puff of dust 100 yards further down the valley where the bullet hit the ground.

Thanks again

Steve

Steve,

My personal opinion, the TSX will be fine, in fact, may be ideal what you are doing..in that it will not explode on the smaller antelope species, and yet, on the heavier game, has enough power and energy to handle anything you come across in regards to the antelope species...personally, I have shot between 50 and 60 antelope species in Africa with a 300 Ultra-mag--previous trips I have used a 180 Gr bullet---on the last trip I moved to a heavier bullet..200 Gr A-Frame..and was very glad I had..most if not all shots will be 200 yards or less..and usually less..there is the exception if you hunt in Namibia or South Africa..you can encounter some longer..

If you are shooting comfortably with the 250's I would leave them...if you want to play around --then by all means try the .225's..either way, you will be fine ...

In my opinion...the .338 caliber is close to being the "perfect" all around plains game gun for Africa...but, hey, that's just me...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Aussiesteve
.275 member

Reged: 30/03/08
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australi...
      #124872 - 22/01/09 09:43 PM

Thanks guys, you have all been very helpful to me, I'll try some 250 grain TSX bullets and see how they go, failing that I'll pack some 300 grain woodleighs

Cheers

Steve

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7209

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com