Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: This gal is amazing

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Fishing

Pages: 1
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
This gal is amazing
      #123019 - 05/01/09 07:30 AM

Poetry in motion is often overused but see what you think.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aJDjf8_6SYs

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: This gal is amazing [Re: mickey]
      #123023 - 05/01/09 08:27 AM

Agree!

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: This gal is amazing [Re: bonanza]
      #123024 - 05/01/09 08:43 AM

Other than her line slapping the water at times, her casting is amazing.

--------------------

mickey
.416 member

Re: This gal is amazing [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #123025 - 05/01/09 08:51 AM

When Spey casting you need to load up the line with tension. That's how you can cast 150'.

When I try all I get is atacked by the line.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #123030 - 05/01/09 09:54 AM

Just stunning, words fail me ......beautiful...I watch that and wonder why I bother to
try and cast a fly line best, fly line challenged Mike

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: This gal is amazing [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #123077 - 05/01/09 10:48 PM

I've long felt that fly casting would make a great Olympic Sport.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #123105 - 06/01/09 04:00 AM

Beautiful - casting and the girl. Enforces the reasons I use a double hander whenever possible. If she had a proper Spey line, a double taper, she'd not have to do all that wierd circling of the line to pick it up off the water - good tehcnique, though with a tapered line. A few of the 'sets' appeared as if she might have had a DT on the real when on the smaller, faster flowing river.

Indeed, you need to anchor the line to build energy in the rod. I'm not an expert by any means and I'd like to take some lessons WITH her. The tight river she was on, was similar to the steelhead rivers out west of here, where we used to spend a couple weeks every year. She sure had nice tight loops with that spey rod. Short one too. I've a tendency to drop my tip too soon, opening up the loop - good stuff- think I'll bookmark that video.

De Jaeger - I agree! with several classes - suggestions might be short rods - various wieghts and lines, then Spey Rods - shooting heads and baskets which are popular in the Pacific NorthWest USA, Modern tapered lines and then Double Taper lines. Rod length limits, maybe 15' or 17' - Length of cast and presentation - whatever.

Trouble is, for a proper double taper, water speed, ie: current is necessary. However, I did find a 14' 9/10 weight Sage I built would Spey cast a Double Taper 11 on a flat lake. True to Sage's early long rods, they didn't knwo what it was, wouldn't spey cast nor would it even overhead cast a 9 weight line unless 80' to 90' was out of the rod tip. It would, however, reasonably cast a DT 10 weight line for steelhead on a river. I double it would cast any of the modern tapered lines. My son in law broke it on a bloody Spring Salmon - oh well, small loss (worth about $1,0000-was a nice looking rod though.

True Spey Rods start with Orvis and include Bruce and Walker and some Fenwicks made in England - although I admit that some of the newer ones feel good in the stores. I find Sage still hung up on soft tips - useless for Spey casting.

The reason I use an old 15' Orvis 11 weight "meat rod" with DT line, is the line never has to be stripped in - it's all out - all 120'(on a big river) + leader and tippet - and it's on or in the water fishing while the 'new breed' of long-rod users are stipping and wipping and trying to catch flies and bats. That's another story.

Edited by Daryl_S (06/01/09 04:46 AM)

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: This gal is amazing [Re: DarylS]
      #123115 - 06/01/09 05:41 AM

I have a couple of fly rods in the smaller trout sizes, 4 and 6 weight, but have no need for a Spey rod. If I were to fish the chalk streams of England, or even fish the river Spey itself, I would definitely buy one!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#123135 - 06/01/09 01:13 PM

I started using a Spey rod around 1990 - maybe 1988, for steelhead on the rivers to the west of us. My best was a 24 pound wild buck in a river that averages 14 pounders. The long rod is a wonderful tool. Every now and then, I go back to a short 9'6" #9 wt. but always fish with the 'meat rod' to beach a few first. Lately we've been flyfishing for Sockeye and the long rod isn't needed, but fun just the same.

For most of my trout fishing, boats or wading, I use a pair of 4 wts. now, but also have a 5 and a 6 for windy times.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mickey
.416 member

Re: This gal is amazing [Re: DarylS]
      #123137 - 06/01/09 01:45 PM

I use a Spey rod about twice a year. I am absolutely terrible at as it involves so much rhythm. I have none

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #127031 - 14/02/09 11:43 PM

She's good!
For a right handed caster with the right hand uppermost on the grip, a single spey cast would enable you to fish downstream off the left bank with no backcast. A double spey would enable you to fish off the right bank with no back cast. Because the line is already moving faster, some people find a double spey easier to learn than the single. The idea behind the snake roll is to get the line moving faster. It can be used from the right bank instead of the double spey.... and it looks flash! Just be sure to tape up the rod joints with any spey casting (esp. double and snake rolls) because otherwise at some point you'll see your rod top flying off and potentially breaking the tip!

Some of the very best spey rods are made by Thomas and Thomas. I use an 11'6 #8 Hardy which I love and a much older (my first Salmon rod) 15'4 #10 (actually #11) Hardy. I have long coveted a 15' T&T but since I moved south from Perthshire I have little need for it. If I were to replace the 15 footer I'd probably go for a 14' #9 or #10 if I wasn't going to be using heavy brass waddington flies and sunk lines!

mickey
.416 member

Re: This gal is amazing [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #127567 - 20/02/09 06:04 AM

What do you guys think of the 'switch rods'? I was looking at an 11' 7 weight the other day. Seems like it may be a nice rod for fishing large but not big water.

Any experience or comments?

One of the things I don't like about the long rods is that it makes landing a fish more difficult. You almost have to beach a bigger fish or have help.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

DarylS
.700 member

#127581 - 20/02/09 11:55 AM

Left bank, right bank doesn't matter, just switch hands anddouble spey. It's the prettiest - no - most poetic of casts.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4954

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com