Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Antelope hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
DaveJames
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Tidewater,Virginia
Antelope hunt
      #1227 - 24/01/03 10:40 AM

I know I have seen it on Accurate and a couple of others,but am having computer problems
Question: Is it possible to arrange to hunt just eland/kudu/and maybe another large horn type wiht in "SA" on a 7-10 hunt.Or do you have to take the extras like warthog to get them?

--------------------
"I am always willing to learn,but not always willing to be taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: Antelope hunt [Re: DaveJames]
      #1229 - 24/01/03 11:08 AM

DaveJames

You don't have to take the extras, if you want only a Kudu hunt that would be fine for most outfitters, some of them will also accept for you to only use 5 days hunting. I have contact with an area there the Kudud is about 850 USD and daily rate is about 175 USD, the thing with the warthogs, Impalas etc is the price. They sometimes does not cost more than 130 USD-200 USD and then a lot of hunters also wants to take one.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #1232 - 24/01/03 12:04 PM

Dave

Nothing simpler.

Yes you can hunt on safari and take whatever you want from the list when booking if the animals are still available on their quota.

Generally there are two ways of booking:

• A package hunt. These are very popular in the US and most booking agents push them. Here there WILL be animals that are already paid for and they may include game you are not interested in. The daily rates, trophy fees of listed game and other costs are usually totalled with a small discount. On the other hand if you do not take one of the listed animals you may have paid the trophy fee for nothing. That's how they make the discount pay.

• The other way is to book a safari for X days agreeing to pay the daily rates and other agreed costs and then for any game taken or wounded you pay a trophy fee. You should agree with the outfitter what game you are looking for in advance to ensure they are reserved for you on their quota, but some additional animals may be available when you are hunting, but not guaranteed.

Some animals on some game farms or concessions may have additional requirements eg Sable may have a minimum numbers of days required for booking and a higher daily cost. Sometimes bushbuck is the same.

Tell us what sort of antelope are you interested in?

If you want a bargain include an impala. They are very beautiful shoulder mounts with their lyre shaped horns and coat colouring.

As cchunter said some outfitters also offer five day hunts but remember to leave enough days to take the numbers of game you are looking for. Seven days is a good minimum for around seven trophies. A day an animal is a good guide but discuss this with your outfitter.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cchunter
.375 member

Re: Antelope hunt [Re: NitroX]
      #1234 - 24/01/03 12:09 PM

NitroX

Talking about shoulder mount on Impala. Were do yo do your trophy mounts and what is the price.

I have mine at Safari Taxidermy, RSA and they were made last year for 135 USD but the new pricelist for 2003 is 220 USD, quite a difference

--------------------

Christer Hansson

DaveJames
.275 member

Re: Antelope hunt [Re: cchunter]
      #1235 - 24/01/03 01:58 PM

Impala sounds nice but have an agrement with the boss,no head mounts so it would be only horns American style.
Kudu/Eland/ Impala and or Nayla{sp} or bush buck are what trips my trigger right now,would love to have a Sable but understand the price would be out of my reach.
What would you say the hunting conditions are like in "SA" due to back injuries can't take alot of hills any more.

--------------------
Sir Winston Churchill

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #1239 - 24/01/03 05:35 PM

Dave

Hunting terrain in Southern Africa varies a lot but most places I have hunted have been relatively flat so should suit you.

West Nicholson and Gwayi in Zim, and Thabazimbi in Northern Province all were nice and flat. In the Northern Province the thorn brush can be challenging though.

Matetsi in Zim had some nice low rounded hills and rocky terrain but nothing difficult for a fit person (which I wasn't but perservered). The heat in the middle of the day can be a bit draining later in the season.

When you pick an outfitter talk it over with the prospective one as terrain can change a lot.

I'm going to have one of the impala as a full skull mount this time, plus bring over a zebra skull.

Dave I think the kudu, eland, impala, nyala skull mounts look great. Hartebeest also is quite different. Sable would be great as would gemsbok but it would be a shame not to shoulder mount a sable. Saw a nice little table made out of two sable horns as the legs. Though no African animal can compete with a good set of deer antlers in a skull or skull cap mount.

Christer

I have always used an Australian taxidermist and had them dipped and packed in Africa and shipped as skins, skulls and horns to Aust. Can't remember the price of an impala, but it would be more than your figure with freight being cheaper (I hope!).

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cchunter
.375 member

#1240 - 24/01/03 07:13 PM

DaveJames

Sorry to hear your "Boss" can't accept the shoulder mounts. I solved my problem by suggesting a piedestal mount and she said no way, my reply was -Ok than I settle with the ordinary shoulder mount then. And she said - Yes, thats much better than a piedestal anyway.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #1251 - 25/01/03 12:02 AM

DaveJames,

Why don't you package your own hunt ?
Tell me what you would like when you would like to do it and how ?

I usually get good prices from my outfiters when I package a whole hunt the way you like the reason being is that they know what you wnat and they know exactly how much the whole trip will put in their pocket.

I will gladly help you out on setting something up you must understand hunting is not a product like you buy a can of beans in a grocery store it is your money and you can spend it the way you want. I had a couple of people last year who could only manage 2-3 days of huntinig becuase they were in RSA on business trips and I helped them out. I am open to any negotiating

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

original500nitro
.224 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Re: Antelope hunt [Re: SafariHunt]
      #1254 - 25/01/03 01:30 AM

DJ,
most reputable outfitters would be able to tailor a package to suit your needs.
Make a wish list. speak to a few outfitters and see which crowd comes closest to your requirements, check some references, pay the deposit and bingo, you're set to go.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #1255 - 25/01/03 01:30 AM

A custom hunt is not hard to do for the animals you want. We've got plains game custom hunts --you choose your trophies-- with day rates at $275 per day for a 1x1 hunt.

I see you are considering nyala. Well, they are my favorite and for that animal you must go to Zululand. The best and the largest population are found there.

Terrain should not be a problem for you to hunt. Most places are fairly flat.

If I can be of further help please do not hesitate to ask.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

BOWHUNR
.224 member

Reged: 25/01/03
Loc: Omaha, NE USA
Re: Antelope hunt [Re: AspenHill]
      #1281 - 26/01/03 11:42 AM

Dave,

It sounds to me like it's time to get a new boss!!

BOWHUNR

--------------------
Kudu, it's not just for breakfast anymore!

DaveJames
.275 member

Re: Antelope hunt [Re: BOWHUNR]
      #1305 - 27/01/03 12:51 PM

BOWHUNR,no can do I'm on the thrid one now, I have decided its a hobby I have got to stop,thanks all for the advice,Ann after seeing the one you posted on Accurate it became one to have.

--------------------
Sir Winston Churchill

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2103

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com