Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Picked up a Mauser M03 Africa in 458 Lott

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Cardinal
.224 member

Reged: 18/12/07
Loc: Norway
Picked up a Mauser M03 Africa in 458 Lott
      #112294 - 23/08/08 06:02 AM

First, sorry its not an good old magnum M98, but...

Have been wanting a big bore for some time, so I broke down and ordered a Ruger RSM .458 Lott a while ago. Well, it seems Ruger has problems delivering, because the rifle didn’t arrive. (in retrospect, not that it was entirely unexpected as a friend also ordered one in 416 and he waited over a year and no gun.)
So I changed to a Mauser M03 Africa instead. And it arrived about a month later.
Went straight to our cabin got the reloading equipment ready. I bought some Rem. 300gr bullets for practice rounds and started with low powered loads as my experience with bigbores are limited to 3-4 rounds of the bench with a friends CZ 416 rigby some years ago. (plus a Wby 340 I owned though it isn’t a bigbore).
I found that the 300gr at approx 2650fps made for nice practice rounds for now. Next came a few Barnes 450gr TSX. With those I stopped at 2242fps. With Hornady 500gr FMJ, I stopped at 2026fps.
Recoil wasn’t as much as I expected. I wouldn’t like fire a lot of these rounds in one afternoon at this time, but a few rounds at short-moderate range shouldn’t be a problem. Will probably try some more powerful loads the next time I get the chance.
All in all, I shot 39 rounds that day.

My impressions of the M03 so far:
The rifle including mount and a leupold VX-III 1.5-5x weighs 4832grams or 10.65lbs. Rifle alone is 4396grams or 9.7 lbs. Stock length was just right for me and excellent balance. The pistolgrip have a slight swelling on the right side to better fit the palm of the hand. Easy take down allows one to carry it in an inconspicuous case if you choose.
It has a 4 round detachable magazine which you can secure to rifle with a supplied Allen wrench for situations you don’t want to risk it dropping out.
The sling mounts have integral loops and not the often used Uncle Mike’s. But they are perhaps more quiet as they don’t rattle as much. The downside is that not every sling can be used.
I also looks like Mauser has used the standard recoilpad they use for all rifles. It has a 4mm spacer and a 8-9mm pad. I might change that to a 1" Pachmayer Deccelerator , but the stock will probably have to be shortened. And I’m not sure how that will work with the Kick Stop in the stock.

All in all, I’m very happy with the rifle. And the caliber changing feature is VERY nice to have in countries like Norway where buying extra guns isn’t as easy.

One question here at the end.
Has anyone done any penetration tests with 300/350gr TSX (or 350 North Fork) at moderate speeds (2500-2600fps)?
I’m considering getting some for use on elk/small moose but are not sure I get the chance to test them any time soon...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Picked up a Mauser M03 Africa in 458 Lott [Re: Cardinal]
      #112298 - 23/08/08 06:39 AM

This is a gorgeous rifle! Awesome wood. I got my M77 about a year and a half ago with no problems. I really like it too. Of course its biggest strength is that is a mauser based design. I am a huge fan of mauser type rifles. I have a siamese mauser converted to .45-70 and sporterized. Its a great woods rifle. That is a great rifle you have there, and in a great caliber. I really like the .458 lott! Man 39 rounds in a day is alot, or in this case a LOTT! I shot mine 30 times with 500 grain hunting loads and that was about 5 too many. I was once firing some brass to prove it for use on cape buffalo. I have the same scope you have with heavy duplex reticle in quick detach Warne rings. You have yourself a great dangerous game rifle there.

--------------------
One day at a time...

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #112299 - 23/08/08 06:44 AM

Quote:

And the caliber changing feature is VERY nice to have in countries like Norway where buying extra guns isn’t as easy.

At least it looks like buying/owning numerous guns (Either 6 or 8, depending on the final outcome) will soon be a problem up here. Which is why I have ordered an M03 Extreme in 7x64.

I'm glad to hear you are pleased with yours. Of the switch barrel rifles generally available, the M03 was much more appealing to me than others, Such as the Blaser R93.

Cardinal
.224 member

Re: Picked up a Mauser M03 Africa in 458 Lott [Re: bigmaxx]
      #112304 - 23/08/08 07:02 AM

Quote:

This is a gorgeous rifle! Awesome wood. I got my M77 about a year and a half ago with no problems. I really like it too. Of course its biggest strength is that is a mauser based design. I am a huge fan of mauser type rifles. I have a siamese mauser converted to .45-70 and sporterized. Its a great woods rifle. That is a great rifle you have there, and in a great caliber. I really like the .458 lott! Man 39 rounds in a day is alot, or in this case a LOTT! I shot mine 30 times with 500 grain hunting loads and that was about 5 too many. I was once firing some brass to prove it for use on cape buffalo. I have the same scope you have with heavy duplex reticle in quick detach Warne rings. You have yourself a great dangerous game rifle there.

Yes I was very happy with the wood. Especially since its standard grade and I didn't pay any extra for it.
Should have mentioned that of those rounds only 9 where 450/500gr (IIRC) and the rest was 300gr at 2450-2600fps.
Wouldn't want to shot 39 450/500gr in one evening. Atleast not yet.
But love that caliber. Easy to download and lots of cheap bullets available.

I also bought the heavy duplex.
I considered importing a M77 RSM from the US but the problem is all the extra cost involved. And the US State dept....

ErikD.
Yeah I like the system. But a small downside of the M03 is that its somewhat heavy for smaller calibers. With a Zeiss 2.5-10x50 or similar scope, a M03 in standard caliber will probably weight close to 10 lbs. And a 9-10 lbs 243 win is a little heavier than needed.
But on the other hand there won't be much recoil left.

Edited by Cardinal (23/08/08 07:13 AM)

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #117877 - 29/10/08 11:04 PM

I too am a big fan of the mauser M03. I have one in .375H&H and also want another in .300Wby. That will give me a perfect worldwide travelling combination with complete interchangeability. I guess I'd also like to have an extra barrel in .404 Jeffery.

Nice rifle Cardinal!

--------------------

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Picked up a Mauser M03 Africa in 458 Lott [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #117900 - 30/10/08 05:12 AM

Congrats Cardinal,
My next 458 will be a M03. They are a superb rifle and will make a wonderful world gun. Cabela's had a used very cheap (in prespective) that I pasted on, no funds at the time. There will be another. As for your thoughts on the pad change, hopefully Der Jaeger can post pics of his.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #118037 - 01/11/08 12:09 AM

Quote:

First, sorry its not an good old magnum M98, but...

You shall be forgiven...

One of the really really few "factoryguns" I would ever consider buying would be a M03 Mauser.
I have handled a few, and find them well balanced, and they have a good finish all over. I haven`t shot one yet, but I feel really tempted to buy one everytime I seen ´em.
Since I do have a few classics here, I could find myself getting their sports model with no sights and heavy barrel.

mauser03
.224 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Iceland
Re: Picked up a Mauser M03 Africa in 458 Lott [Re: rigbymauser]
      #118079 - 01/11/08 10:18 AM

This riffles are one of the best chose you can have, fore a riffle out of the box and they are take down, I have been selling this riffle here in Iceland from the beginning. I sell Sauer and Blaser to.
But when the peapole of Mauser in Isny Germany show my the prototype in IWA show 2002 I see that they have make something very good riffle. I have use this riffle and my friends and customer in
many hunting trips like Poland and Africa ,You take this riffle down in the gun case go to an other country put it to gether and he shoot just before no adjustment.Evrething is a good in this riffle, the barrel the trigger light and no crispy , The scope mount exelant and unique, The bolt and how you change the bolt face fore an other cal.Mine was in cal 9,3x62 and 6,5x65 RWS so I just change barrels betwhen calibers. Two scope 1,56x42 S&B Zenit and S&B Zenit 3-12x50 My oncel have this riffle now and he is very happy for this riffle
Johann

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Picked up a Mauser M03 Africa in 458 Lott [Re: mauser03]
      #118101 - 01/11/08 09:28 PM

Sorry, I'm just catching up to the earlier request for me to post photos of my Mauser M03 with my Silver's pad I added. I've since added this pad to all of my rifles. This is a great improvement over the thin black factory pad.

--------------------

Cardinal
.224 member

Re: Picked up a Mauser M03 Africa in 458 Lott [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #118458 - 07/11/08 07:47 AM

I also just replaced the recoil pad with a Deccelerator though it hasn't been grinded down to size yet. Also bought 150 450gr North Fork SP and 50 450gr cup points to use as my primary hunting ammo.
Hope to develop some loads for those soon.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #118460 - 07/11/08 08:25 AM

Quote:

Also bought 150 450gr North Fork SP and 50 450gr cup points to use as my primary hunting ammo.
Hope to develop some loads for those soon.

Did you get them from Jaktdepotet? Just curious, as they used to be the importer, but I thought they were pretty much sold out.

JefferyDenmark
.300 member

Reged: 10/06/04
Loc: The Kingdom of Denmark
Re: Picked up a Mauser M03 Africa in 458 Lott [Re: EricD]
      #118509 - 08/11/08 01:08 AM

Your new Silvers pad sure looks great.
Nice working gun and pretty too.

Cheers,

André

--------------------
Always always use enough ... GUN

Cardinal
.224 member

Re: Picked up a Mauser M03 Africa in 458 Lott [Re: JefferyDenmark]
      #122382 - 27/12/08 07:22 AM

An update:

ErikD, yes it was Jaktdepotet. They had a few NF left in the largest calibers. Hopefully they'll get more soon.

Since my last trip to range, I've tested some more loads and think I found the ones I prefer for now.
I've had the 500gr Hrn FMJ up to 2222fps with Norma 203B.
450gr NF to 2300fps using VV N530 and 203B
Rem 405gr from 2100-2400 using N140, and Rem 300gr at low to standard .375 H&H velocities.

I think the bulk of training to get very used to the rifle, will be with the 300grainers. They are very comfortable to shoot and I can shoot much more of them.
The 405gr @ 416rem/rigby levels are great for getting used to heavier recoil. Finally some 500gr loads but those will be more sparingly (due to the recoil for now).
The NF will be my primary hunting bullets, but not sure to which velocity I'll be loading them to. If I go after Buff, it will be heavy loads. But for elk/moose I might download them some.

All in all, I am still very happy with the rifle. No real complaints.

Erik

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11243

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com