Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Chapuis double rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Aussiesteve
.275 member

Reged: 30/03/08
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australi...
Chapuis double rifles
      #122351 - 26/12/08 07:11 PM

Hi guys, I am looking seriously at buying a brand new Chapius double rifle in .375 H&H, however I'm not an expert with double rifles and so for my $12+K am I getting value for money. Has anybody had one and would like to share their experience with me? This rifle will be for a little BGRC shooting some hunting,but mainly just to have a double as I have always wanted one.

Cheers

Steve

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Chapuis double rifles [Re: Aussiesteve]
      #122353 - 26/12/08 08:13 PM

I would get a Heym, also get a .375 Flanged NOT a .375H&H stick to rimmed cases for reliability, why not go for a 470 or 450/400?

Steve

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Juglansregia
.275 member

Reged: 20/04/08
Loc: Tasmania
      #122354 - 26/12/08 08:22 PM

I have personally witnessed a chapuis 375 H&H fail to extract a fired case when hunting big game (factory ammo) which made me a little tense. A rimless cartridge would not be my first choice in a double rifle, a rimmed cartridge has to be more reliable in the field......The rifle was near brand new and had not been monkied with.

I too would go for a Heym, I know them to be very reliable. The Chapuis feel nice in the hand for the price. I have spoken to alot of owners of Heyms, including a few PH's and have heard nothing but praise.

Just my two cents worth.............

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Chapuis double rifles [Re: Juglansregia]
      #122355 - 26/12/08 08:32 PM

I don't own one.

A number of members have them and seem to like them.

The rifle is also available in 9.3x74R which is a rimmed round and only a few hundred fps slower than an .375 H&H Mag. It will do most things the .375 can do, except be a legal calibre for cape buffalo/elephant in some Africa states and countries where a min'm of a .375 is required. The 9.3x74R is very popular in Europe for driven boar, deer and moose hunting. The 9.3 chambering can sometimes be found in cheaper (ie in price terms) rifles than the .375 probably because those rifles are designed for medium cartridges while the .375 is often grouped with rifles designed for larger chamberings such as the .470.

Most people will generally advise a rimmed round. But some members have magnum or rimless rifles and have had no problem. GENERALLY a rimmed chambering is preferable IMO.

Chapuis seem quite well made DRs for the price.

I would consider one but don't like beavertail forends at all.

The key questions are what do you want to use one for? Now and in the future? If buffalo and similar sized game, a .470 (sized) DR should also be considered. If maybe just for fun, deer, pigs etc, a .375 or 9.3 is a great choice, plus will kill anything bigger on earth as well.

Have fun choosing.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Aussiesteve
.275 member

Reged: 30/03/08
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australi...
Re: Chapuis double rifles [Re: NitroX]
      #122357 - 26/12/08 09:23 PM

Thanks for the replies, the rifle will never see use on DG, I have a CZ 550 .416 Rigby I'd prefer to use if DG was on the menue. I was thinking along the lines of the 9.3x74R or .375 flanged, but I thought I'd still ask about the .375 H&H in case it was reliable. Does anybody know who imports Heym rifles, and if they tend to be more or less expensive than the Chapius for an entry level rifle?

Cheers

Steve

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #122361 - 26/12/08 11:20 PM

Quote:

Does anybody know who imports Heym rifles, and if they tend to be more or less expensive than the Chapius for an entry level rifle?

Heym will tend to be higher priced than a Chapuis.

To import or buy:
- try Chris Sells of Heym USA one of our sponsors. I believe at least one Aussie has bought from him in the USA
In Australia
- Hermann the German
- and ? (I will look it up)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Chapuis double rifles [Re: NitroX]
      #122377 - 27/12/08 06:07 AM

I've looked at quite a few times and used and shot a 9.3x74R Chapuis and I liked it, light, shot well etc.

I wouldn't buy one in 375H&H - I have a Merkel in that calibre and would get a 9.3x74R over a 375H&H anyday.

They are good doubles for what they are with a French Twist
in how the lugs are but they seem to work fine from what I hear.

Haven't kept up to date with the $$$ of them versus the others so will let the rest comment on that aspect.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #122379 - 27/12/08 06:32 AM

If you want a new good double, not too expensiv, buy a Chapuis boxlock.Better get a 9,3x74R or a 470NE! Heym is a level up and more in the tradition of the old british double.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Chapuis double rifles [Re: grandveneur]
      #122387 - 27/12/08 08:54 AM

Have owned both a Chapuis in 9.3x74r and a Heym 88b in 375H&H and regret selling both. Of course I ALWAYS regret selling a gun shortly after doing so. I liked both guns very much and would have no qualms about using either on Dangerous game. The Heym was beautifully made and extremely accurate and the Chapuis was short light and a pleasure to carry. Kicked like a Missouri Mule to shoot and was down right unpleasant to me. Just absolutely too light to me. I have had and shot 2 Valmet O/u's in 9.3x74 and they were both quite pleasant to shoot. Just personal preference to me on either one. I would certainly buy another Chapuis but would certainly add some weight to it. I would do nothing to another Heym and it WOULD be in 375H&H.

davester
.224 member

Reged: 18/04/08
Loc: Kansas
Re: Chapuis double rifles [Re: zimhunter]
      #122391 - 27/12/08 10:37 AM

My primary hunting rifle here in the US is a Chapuis 30.06 UGEX with Leupold scope. It averages 1.2 inch groups at 100 yards(after re-regulation) and has been 100% dependable for me. If you are looking for a 9.3, I have a new one in the box for sale in the classified section that has factory regulation target with holes nearly touching. After having re-regulated doubles, finding a good shooter from the factory is worth a lot!

PAHunter
.224 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Allentown, PA USA
Re: Chapuis double rifles [Re: davester]
      #125211 - 27/01/09 11:39 AM

HI AS:

I have a Chapuis Brousse in 470 NE. I looked at many, many doubles before I made my final decision. The wood on the Chapuis is upgraded and usually stunning compared to Merkel, Kreighoff and the expensive Heyms. Heym don't even put an oil finish their stocks. And for $3k to $5k more I think they should. The plastic pistol cap and general finish of the Merkels left me a little cold. The Kreighoff cocking system would have to take some getting used to, and the very plain engraving was real plain, but I liked the rifle. The two Searcy's I saw were used and dinged up, one wouldn't eject from the right barrel. The Heym at opening shot of $15K + was not blowing up my skirt.

The engraving and the wood to metal finish on my Chapuis is very, very good. They balance the best for me compared to Searcy, Merkel, and Kreighoff. Mine weighs in a 10.5 lbs. I just happen to prefer beavertail forends, especially when you are humping the rifle on your shoulder, a wider resting place sure does feel better. I also like grabing the forearm not the barrels.

And the best part, they just plain shoot. Mine does less than 1.5 inches at 50 yards for four shots, 2R/2L.

Also break open the action and look at the meat around the face of the barrels. Compare that to Merkel & Kreighoff, it makes them look like shotgun barrels. Searcy also has alot of steel around those big holes.

You might want to talk to JJ at Champlins or go to their website and see what he has to say about Chapuis.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Regards... PAHUnter

Edited by PAHunter (27/01/09 11:47 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7022

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com