Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Help on a BSA 30-06

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Help on a BSA 30-06
      #12094 - 21/03/04 12:24 PM

Anyone have a guess as to the value of a BSA in 30-06? It was made in 1957 on a Double Squarebridge CZ action with the integral scope mounts. It has a factory installed muzzle brake that has the Shark Gill look. One standing and 2 folding leaves. 95-98%. The fellow is asking $550.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Help on a BSA 30-06 [Re: mickey]
      #12102 - 21/03/04 02:32 PM

Mick,

That is an unusual confuguration for an '06. I feel it would not be the best of buys at that price.

A muzzle break on an '06 is kind of like a fifth wheel on a car. It was a bit costly to install and has no real use.

Although a good action, there is nothing particularly special about the ZCZ...I think that is what it was then.

Ray, do you know more about the action?

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

mickey
.416 member

Re: Help on a BSA 30-06 [Re: luv2safari]
      #12105 - 21/03/04 03:05 PM

Since I posted this I got an email from Alf on AR. It is not a CZ but an action made by BSA. The chamber and locking lug recess is in the barrel and it does not have the third locking lug like the Mauser but relys on the bolt handle. It was probably designed by Otagar Galas who designed the BRNO ZG47. The muzzle brake is original to the rifle, very unique for 50 years ago, but as lv2 states, a useless addition. By the way the rifle weighs 6 pounds so maybe it is not useless.

Alf says $400 tops for 100%.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #12149 - 22/03/04 10:07 AM

In reply to:

The chamber and locking lug recess is in the barrel

Mick, this is not correct.
The lug recess is in the receiver like most other actions.

mickey
.416 member

Re: Help on a BSA 30-06 [Re: 4seventy]
      #12166 - 22/03/04 03:41 PM

Alan

I will have to disagree. Here is the email from Alf on this action.

In reply to:

You should not confuse this action to the medium length action which has a inside ring just like the Mauser ring.

This was dropped from production when the long action was introduced in 1957. There is reference to early (few) long actions with the mauser ring but this was only at the beginning of production.

The long action has what is referred to as a counter bored barrel and the bolt head fits into this. Thus no Mauser ring.

This also agrees with my inspection of it this afternoon.
That is why it is almost perfect for a takedown. A locking system in the barrel could not be any stronger or better to use.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #12177 - 22/03/04 05:09 PM

Now I want it... ! I'll just take the brake off and have it made into a takedown...

Can you get photos? This sounds interesting.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

4seventy
Sponsor

#12179 - 22/03/04 07:21 PM

In reply to:

This also agrees with my inspection of it this afternoon.
That is why it is almost perfect for a takedown. A locking system in the barrel could not be any stronger or better to use.

Mick, have another look at it.
If this is a CRF 30-06 Bsa it will indeed have a counter bored barrel into which the bolt HEAD fits, but I repeat that the bolts locking lugs engage into lug recesses which are located in the front receiver ring.
The bolt lugs DO NOT lock into the barrel.

Is the rifle Controlled feed?

4seventy
Sponsor

#12230 - 23/03/04 09:31 AM

Mick,
I've had quite a bit to do with these rifles, have owned them in a variety of cals, have shot them a lot and my main working bolt action is a 30-06 just like the one you describe.
Built in the 50's, CRF, 6 pounds weight, gill muzzel brake,3/4" integral scope dovetails etc.
Yes it was so good of all those manufacturers to "improve" the nasty CRF for us with bloody pushfeed!!

I've worn the blue right off most of my "06 as it's had a lot of use!
The brake is real bad on even the 243's and is a disaster on the 30-06.
I sleeved mine but the overbore section in the brake is not large enough to take a sleeve and needs boring out first.
There are different styles of brakes on these rifles and some have a parralell overbore and some are tapered and there is also a difference in the shark gill cut size.

Also that email is not totally correct in saying that the medium length action has the mauser coller and the long action doesn't.
I have one in 300 savage which is on the medium action and it has the same counter bored barrel that the '06 long action has.
These are very good rifles and the only bad things are the brake and the alloy trigger guard.
The floorplate is steel but the guard is shit metal.
When you open the floorplate the magazine box can fall or be pulled straight out!
Another minor negative is the trigger operated bolt release.
These actions feature a slight angle on the rear of the locking lugs and this releaves drag as the action is opened as they are clear of contact with the lug recess as soon as the bolt is lifted a short amount.
My 30-06 also has a double groove feed ramp.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2954

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com