Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Stevens new double at $399

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
RobertD
.275 member

Reged: 16/11/03
Loc: East Bay, CA, USA
Stevens new double at $399
      #11556 - 15/03/04 07:59 AM

Did anyone happen to read about Stevens 12 ga double in February American Rifleman?

Yeah, it isn't a rifle, but for $399, MSRP no less, one could experiment pretty cheaply with a DR chambering in 8x57R, 9.3x74, or 375 FM. If the production numbers look as good as the ones in the photo, one would have a very nice DR when finished.

This could be a fun project. Any comments?

RobertD

--------------------
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
SCI Golden Gate Member

"Time is never found, if you want time for something, you have to make it."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Stevens new double at $399 [Re: RobertD]
      #11560 - 15/03/04 09:03 AM

Can't say anything about the Stevens. I have the American Hunter instead. Too bad you couldn't find a link so we could check this out.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #11563 - 15/03/04 10:22 AM

In reply to:

Did anyone happen to read about Stevens 12 ga double in February American Rifleman?

Yeah, it isn't a rifle, but for $399, MSRP no less, one could experiment pretty cheaply with a DR chambering in 8x57R, 9.3x74, or 375 FM.

Savage Stevens doubles have never been very expensive, and there is a reason for that! They aren't very well made, is the reason! They are OK for 8,000 psi of a 12 ga, but not designed for anything over 10,000 psi!

You might get by, for a while, with something like sleeving in something like 30-30 (35,000 psi) barrels, but I'd be reluctant to put anything that developed more pressure than a 45 Long Colt ( under 12,000 psi) in one! A 410 might make a nice 22 hornet, or 218 Bee.High pressure, but very small diameter, leaving a lot of steel around the chambers, and a small foot print to the case rim. The lock-up is such that it could become a "SELF OPPENER" if very quickly if a 375 Flanged were shot in it! A 375 Fl Mag developes 48,000 psi chamber pressure.

Who knows, maybe they lowered the price, and made them stronger at the same time! Knowing what I know about bean counters, I doubt it, however!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

RobertD
.275 member

Re: Stevens new double at $399 [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #11570 - 15/03/04 12:27 PM

Hmmm, you might want to reconsider the Stevens. The action looks pretty strong and it is an all new design, not a remake of the old 310 model. This one is the model 410 and it looks pretty strong. I wasn't talking about sleeving the barrels, I was thinking about building one on a new monoblock that fit the action.

I know some folks are building doubles on older actions, so if they work, you might look at this. Besides, the whole idea is a project gun, not an 80,000 round monster.

Just a thought, anyway......

RobertD

--------------------
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
SCI Golden Gate Member

RobertD
.275 member

#11571 - 15/03/04 12:34 PM

I did find a website, check it out:

http://www.savagearms.com/st_411_12.htm

Also, it seems the MSRP is now $425.00. It is still cheap.

RobertD

--------------------
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
SCI Golden Gate Member

DaveJames
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Tidewater,Virginia
      #11605 - 16/03/04 12:29 AM

IS that the one being made by the Turks or Russians?, Savage is importing them

--------------------
"I am always willing to learn,but not always willing to be taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

RobertD
.275 member

Re: Stevens new double at $399 [Re: DaveJames]
      #11608 - 16/03/04 01:56 AM

It is made by the Russians. Apparently, the folks at Savage wasn't able to get the Turks to manufacturer the gun with the cosmetics they wanted and the European manufacturers came in at the wrong price point. At least, that is what I interpreted from the review.

They did have a rather humorous go around with the Russians, trying to get them to understand exactly what Savage wanted in terms of cosmetics and durability.

RobertD

--------------------
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
SCI Golden Gate Member

Hawaiian_Hunter
.224 member

Reged: 25/02/04
Loc: MAUI NO KA OI
      #11630 - 16/03/04 09:54 AM

Here's a review article, looks pretty good...
http://www.gunblast.com/Stevens411.htm

--------------------
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #11664 - 16/03/04 04:29 PM

Mac,

I had a cape gun done on a Stevens 311 20 ga., right barrel sleeved to 45-70, that was a bunch of fun.

It took FACTORY 45-70 ammo just fine, but I would have been a bit uneasy shooting anything of higher pressure.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#11975 - 20/03/04 07:32 AM

In reply to:

Hmmm, you might want to reconsider the Stevens. The action looks pretty strong and it is an all new design, not a remake of the old 310 model.

First off the gun you are discribeing is not a Stevens, or a Savage, but a BIAKAL, the same one that is the basis for the $600 double rifle everyone is talking about! This is still an action that is not strong enough to take a steady diet of 375 FLanged Mag. Though the cartridges chambered in the rifle version of this action, are in the 45, to 50,000 lb range, they are very small in diameter, and are wrapped in considerable chamber walls. Additionally the foot print of the case head is small as well. Even with those conditions, I believe this rifle will shoot loose in short order, even with the little 308,In the double rifle cloths.

I will more than likely buy one,in 45-70, and slip the barrels out, and replace them with a pair of 20" tubes for something like a 22 Hornet, 218 Bee,45 Long Colt, or 357 Mag, and regulate it to 100 yds for shooting coyotes called in with a predater call! I certainly will not barrel it for anything near a 375 H&H FL!

I may, very well, be wrong,I was once, back in 1941, but I don't see how anyone can build a double of any quality needed to hold serious rifle cartridges, and sell it for $600 USD.

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

RobertD
.275 member

#11987 - 20/03/04 12:07 PM

Dugaboy1: Actually, the reason they are selling it so cheaply is that they aren't regulating it. They expect you to do so. Since most of the cost in a DR is labor for regulation, $600 makes sense to me.

RobertD

--------------------
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
SCI Golden Gate Member

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #12058 - 20/03/04 09:58 PM

In reply to:

Though the cartridges chambered in the rifle version of this action, are in the 45, to 50,000 lb range, they are very small in diameter, and are wrapped in considerable chamber walls. Additionally the foot print of the case head is small as well.

Dugaboy
Why does the small footprint of the case head make any difference to an actions ability to handle pressure?

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Stevens new double at $399 [Re: 4seventy]
      #12063 - 21/03/04 03:51 AM

I believe what D is referring to is back thrust. The larger the cartridge, the more back thrust against the action. That's probably why he's reccommending smaller case cartridges.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#12064 - 21/03/04 04:15 AM

[quoteDugaboy1: Actually, the reason they are selling it so cheaply is that they aren't regulating it. They expect you to do so. Since most of the cost in a DR is labor for regulation, $600 makes sense to me.

RobertD ]

Robert, you are quite correct in your opinion that regulation is one decideing factor in the final cost of building of a Double Rifle. Eventhough there is a great amount of skill, and time taken regulateing a Double rifle, the real time consumer is the "layer of smoke" fitting of the barrels to the action, and the percision in the makeing of the locks, fitting, and finishing of all the steel, and wood. The way this is done, is far more important to the strigth, and quality, of a double than any other thing except the steel used, and the hardening process! The hand fitting of the action, and lock work, costs ten times what the regulation costs! Almost any good regulator will physiclly regulate a double rifle for you for $400 + ammo, check, and see what it will cost you to have a set of barrels fitted to your action! we are talking thousands.

The reason the Biakal is so cheap is simply because it IS CHEAPLY built, and poorly fitted!

--------------------

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #12069 - 21/03/04 04:52 AM

dugaboy1,

...informative post...

...would a maker that uses mono-blocks for their double rifles, like, say, beretta, be able to reduce the labor costs associated with fitting barrels to locks to action?...also, would the costs differ significantly if using a s-by-s vs o-u configuration?...

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Stevens new double at $399 [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #12136 - 22/03/04 05:57 AM

In reply to:

dugaboy1,

...informative post...

...would a maker that uses mono-blocks for their double rifles, like, say, beretta, be able to reduce the labor costs associated with fitting barrels to locks to action?

TE, There seems to be the misconception that there is less fitting to a mono-block than with the older shoe lump, and choppper lump barrels! This isn't the case, the mono-block must be fitted exactly the same way as the others. Anyone may reduce their cost of fitting by not fitting as closely as they should, the Mono-block has nothing to do with it. The worst place to cut cost,is in fitting, and that is one of the many places where the things like the $399 double cut the cost so they can sell for $399, but they can get away with less fitting on a shotgun, than on a rifle.

The only place mono-block cuts cost is,it is easier to machine a small square block of steel to it's basic shape. The fitting between the barrels of the chopper lump, is eliminated, but replaced by the threading of the mono-block, and barrel shank for fitting into the block! The fitting of the mono-block, to the action, is just as demanding as it is with a chopper lump.

In reply to:

also, would the costs differ significantly if using a s-by-s vs o-u configuration?...

The mono-block system can be applied to both types of double, as well as the chopperlump, so this isn't a decideing factor. The lump barrels are easier to join together in the O/U than the S/S. The top barrel is usually dovetailed to the bottom, and that is a simple machineing opperation. The rest of the fitting is much easier in the O/U, and the regulation is much easier done because you have only the lateral convergance to worry about, because both barrels are on the same lateral line. A simple twist here and there is all that is required to join the windage of their grouping.

However hand fitting, is hand fitting, and requires skill to do properly. Skill costs money, no way around it!

--------------------

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

#12139 - 22/03/04 06:41 AM

dugaboy1,

...appreciate the great insight...

...the art of double gun making seems like an arcane, but well-guarded practise...how would one go about learning more about how his/her double was actually made?...

...i have sdh's 'double shotgun' book, and note that safari press has a book entitled 'lock, stock and barrel' that discusses the making of english smoothbores...perhaps mcintosh's book on double rifles would also be useful...

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Stevens new double at $399 [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #12141 - 22/03/04 07:26 AM

Try Grame Wrights Book 'Shooting the English Double Rifle'Vol 2, 'The Hammerless Double Rifle' by Alexander Gray and the 'Shooting Field' by Holland and Holland.

MacIntosh approaches the subject from the angle of a Shotgun Shooter and never quite picks up the difference between the two. He does have pretty pictures though.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Re: Stevens new double at $399 [Re: mickey]
      #12153 - 22/03/04 11:54 AM

mickey,

...appreciate the suggestions...have a signed copy of king's shooting field...delightful book that recreates the ambience of a bygone era...will have to pick up the wright book...

RobertD
.275 member

#12163 - 22/03/04 03:11 PM

Dugaboy1:

If I understand your posting correctly, you are saying that there is not a significant labor difference between chopper lump and monoblock constructions.

Therefore, I don't understand Searcy's pricing schedule. There is a very significant price increase when using chopper lump construction as opposed to monoblock; although according to him, there is not a significant strength increase (the context here is that he is discussing his action design).

The other factor to consider is the price of labor, rather than straight labor costs. For example, in electronics manufacturing, the manufacturing costs in Asia / China are easily 10 to 20% of USA manufacturing costs. Granted, you have to deal with time differences, international dateline, cultural differences, etc, which all add into overhead (although from experience, I can tell you that not all bean counters and CEOs consider those expenses!). Therefore, for a given level of experience, expertise, and quality of product, labor costs will be substantially less when made in the Far East when compared to USA or Europe, even though the number of hours will be the same.

RobertD

--------------------
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
SCI Golden Gate Member

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #12217 - 23/03/04 08:08 AM

This has become an exercise in futility...Building a double rifle from a shotgun is expensive, time consuming, and tricky at best....To start with the action should be re heat treated, that is softened and brought back to specs...The Brownings were the best I have seen for this and even they were not acceptable to me....

To build a double rifle, even in .22 cal. one should start with a good double rifle action...not cobble one up from a piece of junk, that will end up very costly anyway and then you have nothing...

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 98 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4246

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com